XM1 Dynamic Range ..

Started Oct 13, 2013 | Discussions
Scott Birch
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
XM1 Dynamic Range ..
Oct 13, 2013

.. appears to be lower than that of other X-series cameras. Why is that? Does it affect the way XM1 owners shoot? Anybody care to comment? I'm looking to buy either the XM-1 or an MFT. I really like the low-light samples I've seen from the XM-1, but I'm worried about big swathes of nothing-but-black where I might occasionally like some shadow detail.

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
Re: XM1 Dynamic Range ..
In reply to Scott Birch, Oct 13, 2013

Scott Birch wrote:

.. appears to be lower than that of other X-series cameras. Why is that? Does it affect the way XM1 owners shoot? Anybody care to comment? I'm looking to buy either the XM-1 or an MFT. I really like the low-light samples I've seen from the XM-1, but I'm worried about big swathes of nothing-but-black where I might occasionally like some shadow detail.

Can you point to a source for this?  I'd be surprised if Fuji as crippling the X-M1.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Amnon G
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, Oct 29, 2013

I noticed that in camera reviews. Just go to the dynamic range page and choose on one slot the X-Pro1 (or X-E1) and in another the X-M1. Interestingly there are even subtle differences between X-E1 and X-Pro1.

Remember to choose the same DR setting in both slots.

Amnon G's gear list:Amnon G's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Jay Ell
Regular MemberPosts: 256
Like?
Different in-camera JPG styles...
In reply to Amnon G, Oct 29, 2013

The cameras just use differet JPG processing, one with more contrast, the other with less.

If you are going to shoot in situations where you need to compress large contast into an output format, you need to shoot in raw and there isn't likely to be any DR issues.

-- hide signature --

Copyright © Jay Ell

Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,093Gear list
Like?
In reply to Scott Birch, Oct 29, 2013

All the 16MP X cameras have identical DR. This includes X-Pro1, X-E1, X100s, X-M1,and X-A1. They do apply different JPEG tone curves which effects the contrast of the image, but not the inherent DR.

DPR confuses the issue by incorrectly using the term "Dynamic Range" to describe their JPEG tone curve tests/comparisons.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica X Vario Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-E2 +27 more
J720
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
Re: Different in-camera JPG styles...
In reply to Jay Ell, Oct 29, 2013

I feel my XM1 is hard on the dark areas. It's fine when it's sunny but gets gritty in lowlight. I  just lessen the contrast.

Jay Ell wrote:

The cameras just use differet JPG processing, one with more contrast, the other with less.

If you are going to shoot in situations where you need to compress large contast into an output format, you need to shoot in raw and there isn't likely to be any DR issues.

-- hide signature --

Copyright © Jay Ell

J720's gear list:J720's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +12 more
Norm N
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: Different in-camera JPG styles...
In reply to J720, Oct 29, 2013

Gentilmen, for your enlightenment:

Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,238Gear list
Like?
In reply to Scott Birch, Oct 29, 2013

I find I can recover a ton of detail from what looks like blocked shadows using the "Shadows" slider in Lightroom 5. Even in jpegs, though RAW files will provide even more. In actual use I do not find less DR than with my E-1.

Sal

Scott Birch
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Randy Benter, Oct 30, 2013

Why would Fuji do that? Irritating. So if I take RAW pics I don't lose dynamic range? Thank you. Good to know.

bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,659Gear list
Like?
In reply to Scott Birch, Oct 30, 2013

It would be interesting for someone with both cameras to give a review of the practical differences between them.  To begin, it is my impression that:

1. Velvia on the XM1 is less exaggerated than on the X-E1. It is therefore more useful on the X-M1.

2. The XM1 when set to DRAuto, sticks to DR200 in situations where the X-E1 would choose DR400.

3. The flattest, most unadorned "film" on the X-E1 -- Pro Negative Standard -- has no equivalent on the XM1.  In harsh, contrasty, outdoor lighting, Pro Negative Standard is sorely missed.

4. If I'm not mistaken, double-exposure mode on the X-E1 gives you a double-exposed negative (i.e. a double-exposed RAW file), but only gives a double-exposed JPEG from the XM1.

I'd be curious whether others can confirm (or contradict) any of these; they are simply my impressions. What other differences would you add to the list?

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Amnon G
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
In reply to bowportes, Oct 31, 2013

Thanks, that's very interesting.

It seems irrelevant for me to extrapolate that the X-E2 will have similar OOC JPG to X-M1? I thought that since they have the same processor, same sensor, they would give the same OOC JPG but that could be wrong if they choose to put profiles more similar to the X-E1 (which I own now) than to the X-M1.

Amnon G's gear list:Amnon G's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
CAcreeks
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,843
Like?
Here is the graph!
In reply to Scott Birch, Nov 7, 2013

Wondered about this myself, found this thread. I like S curves!

In DR 400 JPEG, the X-E1 (red) and X-M1 (green) have very similar highlight curves, but different shadow curves. The Olympus OM-D with Gradation Auto (blue) has about 1 stop more shadow detail than the X-E1 and 2.5 stops more than the X-M1, but at least half a stop less highlight detail.

I believe these are the three best cameras for highlights

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads