Ominous water leakage in E-5

Started Oct 12, 2013 | Discussions
xtforest
Regular MemberPosts: 490Gear list
Like?
Ominous water leakage in E-5
Oct 12, 2013

Folks:

A glorious day on Sydney Harbour yesterday so I took out my E-5 and ZD50-200 non-SWD with some dinghy sailors from Balmoral SC. A few pics below:

When I got home I put in the shower to wash off the salt, as I usually do, but when I was towelling it off I noticed the top display was fogged up....when I switched on, it started racking through the focus and firing randomly. None of the control dials or buttons would work. I finished towelling it off and blew it dry inside the flash with a can of compressed air, then put it in a warm fan forced oven for an hour or so after removing the cards and battery. It eventually came good...I wonder if it knows my EM-1 is on its way?

Rob

xtforest's gear list:xtforest's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Leica M8 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-500 +34 more
sirharold
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
Re: Ominous water leakage in E-5
In reply to xtforest, Oct 13, 2013

Rob place E-5 in a bag of white rice. This should take care of the left over moisture.

sirharold's gear list:sirharold's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,792Gear list
Like?
In reply to sirharold, Oct 13, 2013

I second that. Bag of white rice for several days, in a warm and dry place. Does wonders.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +36 more
xtforest
Like?
In reply to sirharold, Oct 13, 2013

Rice, silica gel etc take too long, Consider for instance that you have to boil rice in order for it to absorb water. Warm moving air is what gets rid of water; you have to dry it out before it gets a chance to penetrate components. Shorting out of buttons and dials is to be expected, if not a bit distressing and spooky; they are just switch contacts....if I had been close to my work I would've left it in my server room which has lots of warm moving air in it. A cooling oven is the next best thing...just my 2 pixels worth.

R

Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,975Gear list
Like?
36 deg and 8% rel humidity . . .

in Sydney today.  It ought to be dry by now  
Just wondering where the water got in.
Perhaps the lens mount seal has aged or worn though lots of use.
I have never deliberately showered my E-5. Been thoroughly wet in the rain though.
I use a wet cloth to clean off salt and mud, then a damp cloth, then leave it to dry.

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
xtforest
Like?
Re: 36 deg and 8% rel humidity . . .
In reply to Messier Object, Oct 13, 2013

Yeah it's all good now. When I took the lens off there were water dropets around the mount, so I wonder whether the lens seal has perished. It's my oldest HG lens, bought in 2006 so it's likely I guess. Surprisingly hot today!

Cheers,

Rob

Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,975Gear list
Like?

xtforest wrote:

Yeah it's all good now. When I took the lens off there were water dropets around the mount, so I wonder whether the lens seal has perished. It's my oldest HG lens, bought in 2006 so it's likely I guess. Surprisingly hot today!

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

glad you found the entry point. 
I've often wondered how long those seals will last and whether it's better to leave the lens on the camera - avoiding wear as the lens is fitted/removed, or to take the lens off - avoiding prolonged compression of the seal.
I bought that lens in 2005 but it's not had much use for the past few year. I might try a controlled water seal test.

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
xtforest
Like?

I think cold water is an important factor; if you use warm or hot water, the rubber will expand and compromise the integrity of the seal. Most watchmakers will tell you that hot showers are the undoing of many "waterproof" watches.

Rob

rovingtim
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,239
Like?
to keep it 'weather-proof' ...

Messier Object wrote:

xtforest wrote:

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

glad you found the entry point.
I've often wondered how long those seals will last and whether it's better to leave the lens on the camera - avoiding wear as the lens is fitted/removed, or to take the lens off - avoiding prolonged compression of the seal.
I bought that lens in 2005 but it's not had much use for the past few year. I might try a controlled water seal test.

Peter

To keep these cameras weatherproof, the lens seals need to be regular checked and replaced. They grind up against the mount every time you mount the lens. Oly routinely replaces them if you send in your lens for a 'checkup'.

Kudos to Olympus for building lens seals that even sometimes last nearly a decade. But using one that old in anger is really pushing your luck.

rb dwn
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?

Nice set of pics btw.

M_Hobart
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?

That sounds likely, but there are actually a number of seals around potential entry points on the E-series bodies, essentially everywhere any control comes through to let you make an adjustment  One always wonders how long they will last number of times subject to motion and/or simply aging.

-- hide signature --

E-1, E-620, EP-2
Zuiko: 14-54mm MK I, 40-150mm MK I, 70-140mm MK I, 50mm macro, 50-200mm MK I, Sigma 105mm macro, 150mm macro
M.Zuiko: 14-42mm MK II
Pen FT, OM-1, OM-4, many Zuiko and Vivitar Series 1 lenses

Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 638Gear list
Like?
BTW--Nice Photos (nt)
No text.
kallmalm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,321Gear list
Like?
Moisture destroyed my E-3s

The thing you described with random firing is a thing I recognise well, it has happened several times with my E-3s. I have had two different ones failing due to water damage. I would never even take one of those out in the rain anymore. I hope your camera keeps working after it was dried, otherwise you could always use that EM-1 that is on its way.

Nice set of photos though...

-- hide signature --

/Daniel

kallmalm's gear list:kallmalm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Olympus E-1
dav
dav
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?

You should NEVER turn on any electronic device that is wet, esp salt water, NEVER blow with air or hair dryer, it will force water further in, use a vacuum cleaner to suck the air away from device, then put it in the rice or silica gel for a day or two. Of course you should take out batteries cards etc as soon as possible too.

DavidH202
Senior MemberPosts: 1,100Gear list
Like?
In reply to xtforest, Oct 14, 2013

xtforest wrote:

I think cold water is an important factor; if you use warm or hot water, the rubber will expand and compromise the integrity of the seal. Most watchmakers will tell you that hot showers are the undoing of many "waterproof" watches.

Rob

Maybe watches are different but...

I believe it is just the opposite.

cold shrinks the seal and leaves room for it to develop a leak .

The Challenger disaster in 1986 unfortunately proved that!

veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,381Gear list
Like?

xtforest wrote:

...I wonder if it knows my EM-1 is on its way?    Rob

Hysterical. Funniest thing I've read in these forums in a long time. You made my day.

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +3 more
sirharold
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?

xtforest wrote:

Rice, silica gel etc take too long, Consider for instance that you have to boil rice in order for it to absorb water. Warm moving air is what gets rid of water; you have to dry it out before it gets a chance to penetrate components. Shorting out of buttons and dials is to be expected, if not a bit distressing and spooky; they are just switch contacts....if I had been close to my work I would've left it in my server room which has lots of warm moving air in it. A cooling oven is the next best thing...just my 2 pixels worth.

R

And a can of compressed air and a hair dryer is the answer. Sorry for trying to lend a hand.........

sirharold's gear list:sirharold's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +16 more
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,358
Like?
In reply to dav, Oct 15, 2013

dav wrote:

You should NEVER turn on any electronic device that is wet, esp salt water, NEVER blow with air or hair dryer, it will force water further in, use a vacuum cleaner to suck the air away from device, then put it in the rice or silica gel for a day or two. Of course you should take out batteries cards etc as soon as possible too.

Not only blowing sounds crazy, but even crazier it sounds when people blow WARM air. We all know what happens when water is warmed, it becomes vapor and when the warm water vapor hits colder surface it will condense and become water again. Also the heated up water, especially when blown, will more easily get into smaller cracks and openings and it will easier find it's way everywhere, which is exactly what the OP ended up with.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads