Fujifilm XF 27 f/2.8 Lenstip Review

Started Oct 12, 2013 | Discussions
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Fujifilm XF 27 f/2.8 Lenstip Review
Oct 12, 2013

Extremely positive review of the XF 27 f/2.8. The MTF resolution test scores are extremely impressive equalling the 35 f/1.4 in the center. AF is fast and accurate. Vignetting and high price are the only criticisms from Lenstip.

There is also an interesting discussion of dcraw and their new "3-pass X-Trans" algorithm which they are now using at Lenstip for all future Fujifilm lens tests (see Image Resolution page).

See link below for the review.

Lenstip XF 27 f/2.8 Lens Test

There is also more on Lenstip for Fujifilm X users, they also review the 2 new Zeiss Touit lenses which you can find listed on the Lenstip homepage.

All the best and happy shooting, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 656
Like?
Re: Fujifilm XF 27 f/2.8 Lenstip Review
In reply to marike6, Oct 12, 2013

Its an f3.5 lens, that can't focus reasonably close and costs $450.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DJF77
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?
In reply to uniball, Oct 12, 2013

I think you'll find its an F2.8 lens, unless you are talking depth of field equivalence and not exposure. In which case you should probably state what format you are comparing it to and what aspect.

57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,535Gear list
Like?

There's been an awful lot of complaint about this lens from, I presume, people who've never owned it. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but how many used examples are up for sale? Not many Benny.

I'm well into it for a number of reasons, not least the "toy" appearance to the untrained eye. This makes it ideal for street; I keep going back to it, because it's fun and the images are pleasing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95540165@N08/10193278146/

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Do you convert all crop sensor lenses to FF equivalent?

uniball wrote:

So what? It's tiny and provides similar high IQ as the 35 f/1.4.

Do you always convert all X lenses to their FF DOF equivalent aperture?  That must really take all the fun out of shooting crop sensor cameras.

The reviewer mentions it's price as a con.

Anyway, I was just posting a link to an outstanding review for an X mount lens review.   Next time I'll keep it to myself.

Geez, No wonder I don't post on this forum more often.  The negativity is palpable.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
mdavidp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,196Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you convert all crop sensor lenses to FF equivalent?

Thanks for posting!

No criticism of you Or the lens.

Mike P

mdavidp's gear list:mdavidp's gear list
Samsung NX2000 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 10mm F3.5 Fisheye Samsung 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom
uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 656
Like?

marike6 wrote:

uniball wrote:

Do you always convert all X lenses to their FF DOF equivalent aperture? That must really take all the fun out of shooting crop sensor cameras.

Anyway, I was just posting a link to an outstanding review for an X mount lens review. Next time I'll keep it to myself.

Geez, No wonder I don't post on this forum more often. The negativity is palpable.

There is no FF equivalent of aperture. 2.8 is 2.8. Read the review and you'll understand my comment.

"At the maximum relative aperture the lens doesn’t provide useful images; in order to get them you have to stop it down to about f/3.5. In the range from f/5.6 to f/8.0 the image is already fully useful but far from its frame centre quality."

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to mdavidp, Oct 12, 2013

Not sure I'd call it extremely positive.  He seems pretty bent out of shape about the price.

Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,013Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, Oct 12, 2013

57LowRider wrote:

There's been an awful lot of complaint about this lens from, I presume, people who've never owned it. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but how many used examples are up for sale? Not many Benny.

I'm well into it for a number of reasons, not least the "toy" appearance to the untrained eye. This makes it ideal for street; I keep going back to it, because it's fun and the images are pleasing.

Agree 100%

The lens has a number of unique selling points for the X-Series, which positions it as a valid addition to the set, even if you purchase the 23mm f/1.4

It delivers excellent image quality in the smallest Fuji package available to date

I have an ongoing Flickr set for the 27mm Lens here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dodkin/sets/72157634915780581/

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
PGR streetshooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 971Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, Oct 12, 2013

Agreed. I have it and use it a lot. It's a very natural complement to the 18 and the 2 make a nice street kit.
Dunno about bad f/stops, sharpness etc. I'm just a shooter that makes photos and not test charts.

Price, $450.00 cheap enuff for a lens that gives you the 40mm FOV and works with the 28mm.
--
Cheers, Don

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pgrshooter/

blog
http://streetshooter.net/

PGR streetshooter's gear list:PGR streetshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1
Ed/Chicago
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?

marike6 wrote:

uniball wrote:

Do you always convert all X lenses to their FF DOF equivalent aperture? That must really take all the fun out of shooting crop sensor cameras.

Anyway, I was just posting a link to an outstanding review for an X mount lens review. Next time I'll keep it to myself.

Geez, No wonder I don't post on this forum more often. The negativity is palpable.

Well keep on posting....  I appreciate the info and review you cited. Also, I generally am not anal about anything. All new info is good. All is well.

Chris Dodkin
Like?
That's just lens tester BS

uniball wrote:

"At the maximum relative aperture the lens doesn’t provide useful images; in order to get them you have to stop it down to about f/3.5. In the range from f/5.6 to f/8.0 the image is already fully useful but far from its frame centre quality."

Sorry to say, comments like that are just lens tester BS - Fuji 27mm @ f/2.8

-- hide signature --

Chris@1D-Images.com

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,723Gear list
Like?
Re: That's just lens tester BS
In reply to Chris Dodkin, Oct 12, 2013

If I already have 35/1.4 what is the benefit of 27/2.8 besides the size advantage?

I know m43 has 20/1.7 and 25/1.4 discussion (one is significantly smaller and cheaper than the other while both are pretty bright wide open)

However can someone point any reason to buy a 2.8 $450 prime When my 35/1.4 cost me $400 used and an amazing lens that is sharp wide open, pretty light weight.

I am willing to listen. Other than smaller size any other advantages?

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Chris Dodkin
Like?
In reply to Absolutic, Oct 12, 2013

Absolutic wrote:

If I already have 35/1.4 what is the benefit of 27/2.8 besides the size advantage?

I know m43 has 20/1.7 and 25/1.4 discussion (one is significantly smaller and cheaper than the other while both are pretty bright wide open)

However can someone point any reason to buy a 2.8 $450 prime When my 35/1.4 cost me $400 used and an amazing lens that is sharp wide open, pretty light weight.

Because it gives a completely different field of view to the 35mm....

I know that's stating the obvious, but it's the main reason to buy a lens with a different focal length

If it's the price that's the main worry - just wait till you see one used at a price you like

May take a while though

-- hide signature --

Chris@1D-Images.com

Absolutic
Like?
In reply to Chris Dodkin, Oct 12, 2013

Absolutic wrote:

I know that's stating the obvious, but it's the main reason to buy a lens with a different focal length

If it's the price that's the main worry - just wait till you see one used at a price you like

May take a while though

-- hide signature --

Chris@1D-Images.com

Oh u mean a difference between 40mm and 50mm effective length? I see.

Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Chris Dodkin
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

May take a while though

-- hide signature --

Chris@1D-Images.com

quite noticeable...

Also the stealth factor - especially for street work - the 35mm is very visible and attracts more attention than the 27mm.

The 27mm makes the camera look like a snap and shoot - so doesn't get the attention.

-- hide signature --

Chris@1D-Images.com

bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,567Gear list
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

May take a while though

-- hide signature --

Chris@1D-Images.com

I wouldn't be dismissive of such a difference, if that is what you intended.

I have shot quite a bit over the years with both 50mm and 40mm prime lenses. Although the FOV doesn't differ dramatically, it differs enough to commend itself to different types of shooting. The 50mm is narrow enough to imagine portraits of individuals and isolated objects.  The 40mm, on the other hand, lends itself more to vistas, groups, and shots of individuals in context. I have always been able to "see" 40mm shots better than 50mm shots. If I'm going to a party and want to grab some shots of people enjoying the gathering, I would reach for the 40mm before the 50mm almost every time.

If 40mm and 50mm are nothing more than numbers on a page to you, then it might seem absurd to own both.  If you have a history, on the other hand, with both focal lengths, you will have developed a sense for their differences, and might utilize each for different kinds of shots, or might simply prefer one over the other.

I own both the Fuji 27mm and 35mm. They are both impressive. Sometimes I choose one and sometimes the other, but one thing I never do is to think of them as essentially the same because the number 40 is close to 50.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,535Gear list
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

Flare-resistant, doesn't need a hood. Has character.

That was a great price you got the 35 for; I agree, I see where you're coming from, seeing as I own both. I think "smallest size" plays a big part if you like street photography and, in fact, any situation where you don't want to intimidate - and believe me, the 35 + hood is big enough to intimidate. The other size-related plus is that you're more likely to have your camera slung around your neck just going up to the shops for a pint of milk, like me earlier:

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,639Gear list
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

AF speed for one. It's extremely fast. In addition it turns either of the larger Fuji bodies into a "flat" camera like the X100/S, which can fit into a bag front pocket. As Chris and others point out, it's an exceptionally sharp lens in the centre.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Absolutic
Like?
In reply to bowportes, Oct 12, 2013

bowportes wrote:

If you have a history, on the other hand, with both focal lengths, you will have developed a sense for their differences, and might utilize each for different kinds of shots, or might simply prefer one over the other.

\\

I do.   Ive shot probably thousands of shots with 50mm on a full frame, and before it on film.  I also shot probably close to 4000 shots on m43 with 20mm 1.7 lens which is 40mm equivalent.     Further, I did try 40mm 2.8 pencake on Canon 5DM3 when I was shooting Canon full frame, but I returned it as I found 2.8 on a pancake too pedestrian in terms of light power, as I've used to shooting with F/1.2-1.8 prime lenses on Full frame.   Perhaps I am just prejudiced against slow primes (I also owned 19 and 30/2.8 Sigma primes on Sony NEX and did not like those either).  I feel that it is generally easier to design a prime than a zoom, and 2.8 is for zooms.   On the other hand I own Fuji X100s with F/2 lens so I guess I contradict myself 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads