New lens patents ??
9 months ago

Allegedly..............

18-70mm f/4-6

16-70mm f/4

25-350mm f/3.5-6............plus one more for Q system???..15-45mm f/2.8-3.5

Japanese isn't my strong point.... at http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2013-10-10

robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,767Gear list
Like?
Hmmm.... these too :-)
In reply to robbo d, 9 months ago

Patent of 16-70mm F4 Pentax [2013/10/10 07 o'clock]

Patent of 70-200mm F2.8 Pentax [2012/10/05 07:00]Patent of circular aperture Pentax [2012 07:00]

Patent of F3.5-5.6 Pentax 16-55mm [Jun 2012 7:00]

Patent of F3.5-7.1 APS-C mirrorless lens Pentax 18-70mm [seven o'clock Jun 2012]

Patent of F3.5-6.7 APS-C mirrorless lens Pentax 18-55mm [seven o'clock Jun 2012]

http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/tag/Pentax

robbo d wrote:

Allegedly..............

18-70mm f/4-6

16-70mm f/4

-- hide signature --

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
asahi man
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
Re: Hmmm.... these too :-)
In reply to solarider, 9 months ago

solarider wrote:

Patent of 16-70mm F4 Pentax [2013/10/10 07 o'clock]

Patent of 70-200mm F2.8 Pentax [2012/10/05 07:00]Patent of circular aperture Pentax [2012 07:00]

Patent of F3.5-5.6 Pentax 16-55mm [Jun 2012 7:00]

Patent of F3.5-7.1 APS-C mirrorless lens Pentax 18-70mm [seven o'clock Jun 2012]

Patent of F3.5-6.7 APS-C mirrorless lens Pentax 18-55mm [seven o'clock Jun 2012]

http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/tag/Pentax

robbo d wrote:

Allegedly..............

18-70mm f/4-6

16-70mm f/4

-- hide signature --

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

I think the first 2 patents we will see next year.

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,113Gear list
Like?
In reply to asahi man, 9 months ago

Hi Asahi Man,

Thx, very interesting........

The 16-70/4 could replace both the 16-45/4 and the 17-70/4 for APSC DSLRs

The 70-200 looks like a FL range that is typically FF.

And the mirror-less zoom patents - well, the timing looks like they may have been related to the K01.  We presently have no idea whether Pentax will have another try at the APSC mirror-less genre.  Asahi Man, would you be able to cast any light on whether that is likely to happen?

Thanks,  Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
asahi man
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 9 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

Hi Asahi Man,

Thx, very interesting........

The 16-70/4 could replace both the 16-45/4 and the 17-70/4 for APSC DSLRs

The 70-200 looks like a FL range that is typically FF.

And the mirror-less zoom patents - well, the timing looks like they may have been related to the K01. We presently have no idea whether Pentax will have another try at the APSC mirror-less genre. Asahi Man, would you be able to cast any light on whether that is likely to happen?

Thanks, Rod

International patents of DA200+DA300 are for 35mm lenses,same game with the 2,8 70-200 versions.

Also Pentax owns a couple of MFT patents.

It means,Pentax does the same like Sigma....

The Olympus 1,8 75 MFT is made by Sigma,Sigma patent...

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,263
Like?

Mind specifying the MFT patents Pentax owns?

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

asahi man
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 9 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

Mind specifying the MFT patents Pentax owns?

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

sorry,can not fill in the link here......the public link is to find also on photorumors i remember.

asahi man
Like?

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,263
Like?

Got it, June 19th 2010, i must have forgotten about these.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832Gear list
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 9 months ago

Really??? After ALL THIS TIME Pentax is FINALLY going to come out with its OWN 70-200 F2.8 Lens?!?!? Since I haven't been "in the loop" between about 1997 to 2011, I don't know if Pentax had one (or more) F2.8 70-200 lenses during that period and discontinued them, but to the best of my knowledge they didn't, which, I believe, would make this THE FIRST-EVER Pentax 70-200 F2.8 lens.

I'm also guessing (just guessing) that assuming Ricoh has decided to KEEP the DA* line, this lens would be in that class. Whatever the case, I can't wait to see, although I've pretty much decided that until and unless I either have much more disposable income, sell some of my current lenses for a decent price, or start making some money from photography and can justify the expense that way, an F2.8 70-200 (or, for that matter, the DA* F4 60-250), is just a bit of an extravagance. As I already have an excellent F2.8 100mm lens (the WR macro), an older FA 2.8 135mm I bought in the mid-90s to use with my PZ1 that's also always been "tack sharp," and now, even the Sigma F3.5 180mm Macro (plus the DA* 16-50 F2.8), even though I don't come CLOSE to having the convenience of a 70-200 FAST lens, I have the rough capabilities of many of the intermediate focal distances at F2.8, or very close to it.

And as I also have two lenses that cover that range and more -- albeit at slower apertures (the F4-5.8 55-300 and the newer Sigma F3.5-6.3 18-250), I just DON'T see adding a 70-200 as being "in the cards" at this point. But if a great one comes out, MAN I might be DROOLING at the thought, lol.

On a related note, when Popular Photography reviewed Sigma's NEW ($3,500) version of their F2.8 120-300 lens in the October 2013 issue, they ended the article by saying that the OLDER version is now available, while supplies last (same aperture) at $2,500, with a comment something like, "So Pentax and Sony shooters, SNAP ONE UP, because the new one isn't available in your mount." WELL, if those folks paid attention to what they're doing, they'd know the OLD one wasn't available in the Pentax or Sony mount, EITHER! HOWEVER, I was perusing the Sigma website recently and found a page where they said that you can send certain select lenses back to them to have them retro-fitted to whatever mount you use. From what I saw on the website, that service is available with only a handful of their lenses, and the price seems to vary based on the size and/or cost of the lens, with the 120-300 being one of them. I believe the cost for this lens is about $250 to have the mount changed, and of course they clean, re-calibrate, whatever... But you have to pay freight and insurance to ship it back TO THE FACTORY IN JAPAN. That may be worth if if someone REALLY WANTS that lens in a Pentax mount. Then again, aren't there mount converters for Nikon mounts that will work on Pentax cameras? My math tells me you'd end up spending $2,500 for the older lens, plus another $250 + whatever freight and insurance to Japan is, for the retrofit... so still probably well less than $3,000, when the new lens that also isn't available in Pentax mount is $3,500. Of course if the new one is worth the extra $$$, one could do the same with it, I guess. It all comes down to what you need and want, and what you can afford.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Greg Lovern
Senior MemberPosts: 1,563
Like?
In reply to JeffAHayes, 9 months ago

JeffAHayes wrote:

Since I haven't been "in the loop" between about 1997 to 2011, I don't know if Pentax had one (or more) F2.8 70-200 lenses during that period

Is the FA* 80-200/2.8 close enough?

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/zooms/long/FA80-200f2.8.html

By all accounts an excellent lens, but big and heavy due to Power Zoom, which doesn't work on DSLRs.

Actually if I recall correctly there is some minor feature of Power Zoom which does work on DSLRs, but it isn't the main power zooming feature.

Power Zoom, Pentax's big blunder of the 1990s.

Greg

-- hide signature --

Brand loyalty is a character flaw.

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,607
Like?
Greg...
In reply to Greg Lovern, 9 months ago

Greg Lovern wrote:

JeffAHayes wrote:

Since I haven't been "in the loop" between about 1997 to 2011, I don't know if Pentax had one (or more) F2.8 70-200 lenses during that period

Is the FA* 80-200/2.8 close enough?

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/zooms/long/FA80-200f2.8.html

By all accounts an excellent lens, but big and heavy due to Power Zoom, which doesn't work on DSLRs.

Actually if I recall correctly there is some minor feature of Power Zoom which does work on DSLRs, but it isn't the main power zooming feature.

Hi Greg,

I have the Pentax FA*80-200/2.8 and the power zoom does indeed work on the Pentax DSLR's. I don't use it though because it zaps the batteries too fast. I don't know what the other functions of the PZ switch is but they don't work whatever they are.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

brandrx
Like?
Jeff...

JeffAHayes wrote:

On a related note, when Popular Photography reviewed Sigma's NEW ($3,500) version of their F2.8 120-300 lens in the October 2013 issue, they ended the article by saying that the OLDER version is now available, while supplies last (same aperture) at $2,500, with a comment something like, "So Pentax and Sony shooters, SNAP ONE UP, because the new one isn't available in your mount." WELL, if those folks paid attention to what they're doing, they'd know the OLD one wasn't available in the Pentax or Sony mount, EITHER! HOWEVER, I was perusing the Sigma website recently and found a page where they said that you can send certain select lenses back to them to have them retro-fitted to whatever mount you use. From what I saw on the website, that service is available with only a handful of their lenses, and the price seems to vary based on the size and/or cost of the lens, with the 120-300 being one of them. I believe the cost for this lens is about $250 to have the mount changed, and of course they clean, re-calibrate, whatever... But you have to pay freight and insurance to ship it back TO THE FACTORY IN JAPAN. That may be worth if if someone REALLY WANTS that lens in a Pentax mount. Then again, aren't there mount converters for Nikon mounts that will work on Pentax cameras? My math tells me you'd end up spending $2,500 for the older lens, plus another $250 + whatever freight and insurance to Japan is, for the retrofit... so still probably well less than $3,000, when the new lens that also isn't available in Pentax mount is $3,500. Of course if the new one is worth the extra $$$, one could do the same with it, I guess. It all comes down to what you need and want, and what you can afford.

Hi Jeff,

There was a thread about that a month or so ago. I think it was determined that it is only for the newer Sigma lenses. And since ther is none in Pentax mount then you cannot have one changed from Nikon, Canon, etc. to Pentax.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Greg Lovern
Like?
Re: Greg...
In reply to brandrx, 9 months ago

Hi Greg,

I have the Pentax FA*80-200/2.8 and the power zoom does indeed work on the Pentax DSLR's. I don't use it though because it zaps the batteries too fast. I don't know what the other functions of the PZ switch is but they don't work whatever they are.

Thanks for the correction. I hadn't looked into it for ages so I refreshed my memory just now.

It's the erstwhile headline feature of Power Zoom, image tracking, that doesn't work on any DSLR. That was the feature in which it automatically zoomed in and out to keep a subject that was moving toward or away from the camera about the same size in the frame. That feature only works on certain film SLRs.

Another Power Zoom feature that doesn't work on DSLRs is automatically zooming steadily during an exposure, to easily create those sort of "bursting" effects.

I thought there was some other trivial feature too that only works on film SLRs, not on any DSLR.

If I understand correctly, not all DSLRs support Power Zoom. The flagship models starting with the K-10D support simple powered zooming, and automatically retracting to shortest length when powered down. The original *ist D, and the non-flagship models, do not have any support for Power Zoom at all.

If only Pentax hadn't thrown all that time and money away on Power Zoom. A waste of resources, and it made the lenses bigger and heavier.

Greg

-- hide signature --

brandrx
Like?

Greg Lovern wrote:

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the correction. I hadn't looked into it for ages so I refreshed my memory just now.

It's the erstwhile headline feature of Power Zoom, image tracking, that doesn't work on any DSLR. That was the feature in which it automatically zoomed in and out to keep a subject that was moving toward or away from the camera about the same size in the frame. That feature only works on certain film SLRs.

Another Power Zoom feature that doesn't work on DSLRs is automatically zooming steadily during an exposure, to easily create those sort of "bursting" effects.

I thought there was some other trivial feature too that only works on film SLRs, not on any DSLR.

If I understand correctly, not all DSLRs support Power Zoom. The flagship models starting with the K-10D support simple powered zooming, and automatically retracting to shortest length when powered down. The original *ist D, and the non-flagship models, do not have any support for Power Zoom at all.

Yes, only the DSLRs that support SDM will suport Power Zoom because the same two pins that are used for SDM are also used to power the zoom.

If only Pentax hadn't thrown all that time and money away on Power Zoom. A waste of resources, and it made the lenses bigger and heavier.

Greg

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Greg Lovern
Like?
In reply to brandrx, 9 months ago

brandrx wrote:

Yes, only the DSLRs that support SDM will suport Power Zoom because the same two pins that are used for SDM are also used to power the zoom.

If I understand correctly, the K-100D Super, K200D, K-m, K-x, K-r, K-30, K-50, and K-500 all support SDM but do not support Power Zoom. I did a few searches just now that seemed to confirm that.

Greg

-- hide signature --

brandrx
Like?

Greg Lovern wrote:

brandrx wrote:

If I understand correctly, the K-100D Super, K200D, K-m, K-x, K-r, K-30, K-50, and K-500 all support SDM but do not support Power Zoom. I did a few searches just now that seemed to confirm that.

I don't know. I no longer have any of those cameras to test it. I know that PZ works with the K10D, K20D, K-7, and K-5. I havn't tested it on my K-5 II / K-5 IIs. I thought I remembered testing it on a K-x when I had one but I cannot say for sure.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,107Gear list
Like?
Totally useless "news"

robbo d wrote:

Allegedly..............

18-70mm f/4-6

16-70mm f/4

An optics company, like Ricoh Imaging (former Pentax, former Asahi Optical) is surely to fill in patents for who knows what they experiment with.

But it means absolutely nothing regarding the actual use.

Fore example, during the time when people were buzzing about the new large sensor-ed GR, several patents were filled about prime lenses for APS-C and m4/3 sensors.

Remember the 23mm F2.5, and 27mm F1.9? Where are they?

Often, patents are filled for solutions that will not be used anytime soon; they are used as a tactics to steer competitor's attention in an opposite direction.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,416Gear list
Like?

"Really??? After ALL THIS TIME Pentax is FINALLY going to come out with its OWN 70-200 F2.8 Lens?!?!? Since I haven't been "in the loop" between about 1997 to 2011,"

Jeff I enjoy your writings and found this interesting. I was not in the loop until about 2008.

It seems that from the start Pentax was planning to be a APS sensor only company for the foreseeable future. No one can predict where the market is gong. But APS sensors were coming on strong. A FF lens on a APS body has the un-wanted effect of spreading light through out the light chamber and not perpendicular to the sensor. This is not ideal. You want lens designed specifically for APS sensors. Having lens for APS sensors only gives the best performance in the areas of image quality, size and cost. That is a fact of optics, sensors and cameras.

At the same time it allows older FF lens to perform better than if put on a newer digital body! Interesting situation but perfect for Pentax. Pentax was able to design a dSLR with an APS sensor to allow all of its millions of lens out in the world to have a second chance at life. That was one of its strongest selling benefits.

Why a FF lens design for film 20 years ago performs better on a APS sensor versus a FF sensor is another long topic and will start a hot debate. But in the majority of cases this is true. But not in all cases. Its mostly because older FF lens spread light out in a wide light pattern. Film liked that and did not care about the angle at which light hit it. It would absorb it perfect at any angle. Not so with digital sensors, its the opposite. But, a APS sensor only captures the middle portion of a FF lens light, letting it have higher performance than if mounted on a FF digital camera. Just look at reviews and this will be born out as true in the majority of tests.

Now your FF 70-200mm lens f/2.8. This is a classic in full frame land. Its a big, heavy, fast lens, with good IQ. But we already have a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens that has fantastic image quality, is fast, is weather resistant, is really of higher build quality than most 70-200mm lens on FF bodies. We have the DA*50-135mm. If you do the math that equals a 70-203mm or lets just say 70-200mm. Why do you think Pentax made that lens with a strange focal length of 50-135mm!

Ricoh/Pentax is now promoting its large APS only lens line up and how much larger it is than any other companies line up. Canon or Nikon don't have a 50-135mm lens. This would not let you move up to a FF.

Its why Pentax made the DA*16-50mm which is 24-75mm FF, the 50-135mm which is 70-200mm FF, the DA*200mm which is 300mm FF and the DA*300mm with is 450mm FF. Pentax users always had a broad high performing lens line up, from low cost to higher cost.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +9 more
Unexpresivecanvas
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?
Re: New lens patents ??

robbo d wrote:

Allegedly....w..........

18-70mm f/4-

16-70mm f/4

Japanese isn't my strong point.... at http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2013as w-10-10

Any indication or idea when they will hit the market?

Now that you bring this excellent news, i m waiting here at the door to place my order for the 16-70.  It will be pefect for my k- 01.

Thanks for posting!  Great news.....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads