A7/A7r sketch on SAR

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Alohaman
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
Re: A7/A7r sketch on SAR
In reply to parallaxproblem, 6 months ago

I'm not "suck"of big, but smaller is sure great when doing non-professional (ie., vacation) traveling.  I got tired of being loaded down with a FF DSLR.  Since mirror less FF seem to be small, I may go back to FF, but I'm taking a long look before jumping back to FF.  I'm having too much fun with my NEX 7 and X100s.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 10,870Gear list
Like?
In reply to JohnSingkit, 6 months ago

JohnSingkit wrote:

captura wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

1/23? It is almost 1/4 the size of a FF sensor. So all tjings being equal, the FF sensor gives you a clearly better image. A small body, mch smaller than a DSLR FF is possible of course. But smaller lenses not. So I wonder what the incentive is really. To my mind, the best argument would be:

- smaller body,
- smaller lenses
- similar IQ.

What m43 has currently with APS-c DSLRs (to my mind of course). But we'll see. Always nice to see somehting new and a mirrorless cam with such a large sensor is very welcome regardless!

I actually wrote 1/23, haha! You are correct.

Things will rationalize in the next couple of years. M43 is ideal for most people who want smaller size, portability yet decent images and interchangeable lenses. Not for most pros except as second cameras. Sony is in a partnership with Olympus, and may have secretly agreed to drop the small NEX square APS-C bodies so Olympus can thrive with their successful m43 program. Instead according to my new conspiracy theory of to-day, Sony has shifted over to APS-C and FF larger bodies.

In exchange for supplying all the sensors in Olympus camera line?? Wonder what the tradeoff is at the bottom line. And Olympus making E mount lenses to support the Sony dual E mount line form factors?? Line of lenses to expect from the cooperation: Sony, Sony G, Olympus whatever, Sony Zeiss. Then there are Zeiss and Sigma.

And the RX series with 1 inch sensors are fixed lens affairs, smaller body sizes than Oly products, so outside of the rules of conspiracy?

Hmmm....

Hope they make money to sustain the collaboration. Both have lots of good things to offer.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon 1 S1 NEX5R Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +10 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 10,870Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, 6 months ago

captura wrote:

JohnSingkit wrote:

captura wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

1/23? It is almost 1/4 the size of a FF sensor. So all tjings being equal, the FF sensor gives you a clearly better image. A small body, mch smaller than a DSLR FF is possible of course. But smaller lenses not. So I wonder what the incentive is really. To my mind, the best argument would be:

- smaller body,
- smaller lenses
- similar IQ.

What m43 has currently with APS-c DSLRs (to my mind of course). But we'll see. Always nice to see somehting new and a mirrorless cam with such a large sensor is very welcome regardless!

Things will rationalize in the next couple of years. M43 is ideal for most people who want smaller size, portability yet decent images and interchangeable lenses. Not for most pros except as second cameras. Sony is in a partnership with Olympus, and may have secretly agreed to drop the small NEX square APS-C bodies so Olympus can thrive with their successful m43 program. Instead according to my new conspiracy theory of to-day, Sony has shifted over to APS-C and FF larger bodies.

In exchange for supplying all the sensors in Olympus camera line?? Wonder what the tradeoff is at the bottom line. And Olympus making E mount lenses to support the Sony dual E mount line form factors?? Line of lenses to expect from the cooperation: Sony, Sony G, Olympus whatever, Sony Zeiss. Then there are Zeiss and Sigma.

And the RX series with 1 inch sensors are fixed lens affairs, smaller body sizes than Oly products, so outside of the rules of conspiracy?

Hmmm....

Hope they make money to sustain the collaboration. Both have lots of good things to offer.

I was only guessing. Sony makes sensors for lots of other companies. But why not for Panasonic? (GH3 excepted.) Are they trying to force Panasonic out of the camera business?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon 1 S1 NEX5R Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +10 more
JohnSingkit
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?
In reply to captura, 6 months ago

captura wrote:

captura wrote:

JohnSingkit wrote:

captura wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

- smaller body,
- smaller lenses
- similar IQ.

Hmmm....

I was only guessing. Sony makes sensors for lots of other companies. But why not for Panasonic? (GH3 excepted.) Are they trying to force Panasonic out of the camera business?

Panasonic corporate used to be Matsushita, the name of their founder. They changed to Panasonic in 2008 or thereabouts, I believe. It has over 680 companies worldwide. I haven't checked but I think they are significantly bigger than Sony. Not sure they would ever buy sensors from Sony but who knows? But there is no question regarding Sony's dominance in the sensor market at this time.

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,424
Like?
re: a more oblong version - even uglier??
In reply to jpr2, 6 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

...yet some seem to like it more rendered like this than on the previous sketch:

why, but WHY the hunchback design???

jpr2

SAR again - they are quite resourceful !!

jpr2

Diacyclops81
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Re: re: a more oblong version - even uglier??
In reply to jpr2, 6 months ago

If you will see the teaser from Japan on SAR you will realize that the lower image is of a DSLR that is painted over. That is, it is a design that has been abandoned as Sony has come up with their new design.  Note also that it may be using the EVF from the E-M1, making it, perhaps, a real collaboration with Olympus.

parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,607
Like?
In reply to Diacyclops81, 6 months ago

Diacyclops81 wrote:

Note also that it may be using the EVF from the E-M1, making it, perhaps, a real collaboration with Olympus.

I don't know why SAR made that statement as all current NEX EVF's (though not the A3000) are OLED displays with 2.4 million dots and have been since the NEX-7 was released two years ago

I would assume that the A7 is just using an EVF from the standard parts-bin... which would be no surprise as it is being priced at the lower-end of what was expectated

wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?
In reply to parallaxproblem, 6 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

I don't know why SAR made that statement as all current NEX EVF's (though not the A3000) are OLED displays with 2.4 million dots and have been since the NEX-7 was released two years ago

Money.

The more confusing (or ambiguous if you will) the news, the more often people will check for the latest, "100% true" rumor.

See e.g. A3000 EVF story ... or the "Nex-7x"

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads