Who will buy the Sony A7/A7r?

Started Oct 10, 2013 | Discussions
spacemn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080
Like?
Who will buy the Sony A7/A7r?
Oct 10, 2013

Provided that the following rumoured specs turn out correct, will you buy the Sony A7 or A7r?

o 24Mpix / 36Mpix (both are newly developed full frame sensors with specially designed micro lens array - like the Leica M)

o OSPDAF / - (no AA filter)

o Price around $1600 / $2300

o No IBIS

o AF is faster than the RX series, but still not as fast as the best in the mirrorless world

o Both have focus peaking (of course)

o Eye tracking AF

o They are about same size as the Olympus OMD series

o There is an optional vertical grip

o They have Wifi and NFC

o No Tri Navi, they had scroll wheels in front and back (which were very much like nex-7′s) and an exposure comp wheel from RX1 - according to a source

o One source: "the body quality is very good and the camera had a Pentax LX feeling"

o 1/8000 shutter speed

o Weather sealed

O Tiltable screens

o Comes with four lenses at launch (and a roadmap):

Sony G FE 28-75mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS(?) (kit lens - $2000 including the A7)

Sony Zeiss FE 24-70mm f/4 OSS

Sony Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8 (weather sealed)

Sony Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8

...I would buy!

KBKB
Senior MemberPosts: 1,278Gear list
Like?
Re: Who will buy the Sony A7/A7r?
In reply to spacemn, Oct 10, 2013

I'll probably buy.

Since it doesn't have Tri-Navi, I want to find out what the controls are going to be instead.

Also, I'm hoping that there will be a way to do bracketed exposures with either a remote or a cable release.  If this is not possible, I'll probably consider some other option altogether.

KBKB's gear list:KBKB's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,484Gear list
Like?

I read today that AF speed is better than the RX1, but not as good as some other mirrorless. I'll wait and see. Plus, I need a fast 35 (prefer f/1.4, but 2 if necessary) as this is the lens I use 97% of the time on my Canon 6D. So I'll likely wait a while, but I am intrigued.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton OnePlus One +2 more
spacemn
Like?
In reply to KBKB, Oct 10, 2013

KBKB wrote:

I'll probably buy.

Since it doesn't have Tri-Navi, I want to find out what the controls are going to be instead.

Also, I'm hoping that there will be a way to do bracketed exposures with either a remote or a cable release. If this is not possible, I'll probably consider some other option altogether.

Isn't there an app for bracketed exposures for the NEX-5R, 5T and 6?

I personally like the tri-navi on my NEX-7, but I would prefer a dedicated program and exposure comp dial, along with wheels on the back and front - but yes, I would wait and see if the ergonomics suit me.

spacemn
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Oct 10, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

I read today that AF speed is better than the RX1, but not as good as some other mirrorless. I'll wait and see. Plus, I need a fast 35 (prefer f/1.4, but 2 if necessary) as this is the lens I use 97% of the time on my Canon 6D. So I'll likely wait a while, but I am intrigued.

There was also a SR4 or 5 rumour about a ned LA-EA4(?) adapter. It could be the full frame version of the EA2. In that case a pairing with the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS USM or 35mm f/1.4 would make a pro like setup with DSLR fast PDAF and stabilization in the zoom.

pmow
Contributing MemberPosts: 800Gear list
Like?

spacemn wrote:

KBKB wrote:

I'll probably buy.

Also, I'm hoping that there will be a way to do bracketed exposures with either a remote or a cable release. If this is not possible, I'll probably consider some other option altogether.

Isn't there an app for bracketed exposures for the NEX-5R, 5T and 6?

I personally like the tri-navi on my NEX-7, but I would prefer a dedicated program and exposure comp dial, along with wheels on the back and front - but yes, I would wait and see if the ergonomics suit me.

You would think so, right?  It's not like people have been asking for a bigger EV range and more steps...

No, it only has:

Focus Bracketing (This is useless.)

Aperture Bracketing

Flash Bracketing

Shutter Bracketing

pmow's gear list:pmow's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
ianimal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050
Like?
Poll when released...

When and if the rumored cameras are released a poll could be made here.
Suggestion for the poll:
Question: Will you buy Sony NEX FF now?
1. Yes, A7
2. Yes, A7r
3. No, never buy first edition of anything
4. No, to expensive for me.
5. No, don't need FF.
6. No, not the FF camera spec. I want.
7. No, to few E-mount FF lenses now so I wait.
8. No, don't need a new camera now.
9. I am not sure yet, so I wait some more.

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,507Gear list
Like?

Hi,

Lurking here to watch the rumors evolve......hopefully into reality.  However, I wouldn't pay a premium price for any camera based on specs.  I need to see it in hand and read some tests of its performance.  The retail price in Australia is also critical to me - we often have to pay a painful premium over US prices.  If the premium is too high, then it's stick with APSC for a while......

This is a new system.  The lenses are part of the package.  The 35mm may well interest me, but I would really want a small, high grade 24mm as well and none has been tipped.  I'm not so sure about getting 24mm via the Zeiss zoom unless it really is stellar.  And if not, that leaves RF and DSLR 24mm primes, and we don't yet know how either type of lens will perform on the new sensor.  This will be critical information from early owners.

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,484Gear list
Like?

spacemn wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

There was also a SR4 or 5 rumour about a ned LA-EA4(?) adapter. It could be the full frame version of the EA2. In that case a pairing with the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS USM or 35mm f/1.4 would make a pro like setup with DSLR fast PDAF and stabilization in the zoom.

I really use a Sigma 35 and a Canon 100L 2.8 Macro as the only two lenses I need. I enjoy macro, but I could go manual focus for that using legacy glass. But I'd want AF for portraits. And, the SAL135F18Z 135mm f/1.8 is appealing using that adapter, I suppose. I am not sure I'd enjoy my big Sigma 35 on an adapter and then attached to the tiny A7r, but I suppose it would be a bit lighter than my 6D, so there's that. Hmmm.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton OnePlus One +2 more
Keto
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?
In reply to spacemn, Oct 11, 2013

If reviews for the A7 & the 35mm are solid then I'm definitely buying.

Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,421Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keto, Oct 11, 2013

Depends mostly on what lenses they release to go with the cameras.

If they release a compact lens around the 35mm focal length with a bright aperture then I might be it.

If not, then no deal.

There are already fairly compact wide angle, macro, 50mm and 85mm options available so I am not concerned about those lenses and focal lengths.

Also, phase detection would be a strong selling point.

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
Tom Spaulding
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?

I've got a Leica 75mm and a Zeiss 35mm that might take some nice pictures on one of these new Sony's

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,112Gear list
Like?

I like a lot of those specs.  Maybe we'll know more next week.  Going to need a high quality WA for landscape on that 36MP ver.

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Pentax K-3 Canon EOS 6D Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,856Gear list
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, Oct 11, 2013

I'm prepared for now to wait & see but I'm not too enthusiastic at the moment . I've said it before but no IBIS - no buy !

memo90061
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Oct 11, 2013

I want one!!

memo90061's gear list:memo90061's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,131Gear list
Like?

spacemn wrote:

Provided that the following rumoured specs turn out correct, will you buy the Sony A7 or A7r?

o 24Mpix / 36Mpix (both are newly developed full frame sensors with specially designed micro lens array - like the Leica M)

o No IBIS

o AF is faster than the RX series, but still not as fast as the best in the mirrorless world

o Eye tracking AF

o They have Wifi and NFC

o No Tri Navi, they had scroll wheels in front and back (which were very much like nex-7′s) and an exposure comp wheel from RX1 - according to a source

o One source: "the body quality is very good and the camera had a Pentax LX feeling"

o 1/8000 shutter speed

o Weather sealed

O Tiltable screens

Sony Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8

...I would buy!

The determining factors for me:

1. No purple fringe/color smearing when adapting high end Leica M wide angle lenses.

2. Tiltable screen.

3. Manual focus assist (e.g. Peaking.  BONUS with split image like the Fuji X100s)

4. HD/60p video, with controls (e.g.  focusing) and external communications (e.g. ext mic)

5. Raw still image.  BIG BONUS - RAW video (like the BMPCC.  Am I dreaming?)

So much for now.  I will buy one in a heart beat, either one.

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Leica M9 Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,949Gear list
Like?
re: indeed, should the AF on A7 be excellent... AND...
In reply to sean lancaster, Oct 11, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

...the UI (esp. the menu structure) and the controls significantly overhauled from the N7 menu disaster (despite using my N7 pretty intensely for two years now, I still do hate its menus the same as on day one), then YES;

but already we read on SAR that OSPDAF of A7 might not live up to a task of efficiently shooting/tracking fast action, sports or wildlife

the: "not as good as some other mirrorless" is hardly a good recommendation as even sould it be as good as other mirrorless, even the best ones are still not exactly champions of fast action AF performance - ALAS

jpr2

martindesu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,003Gear list
Like?

I'm not really in the market for it, but I'll keep my eyes open around here, and read over the numerous posts of huge disappointment in the coming weeks.

-- hide signature --
 martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,683Gear list
Like?
In reply to martindesu, Oct 11, 2013

I would be defiinitely interested in the 36mp no AA version. I would be a more compact version of my D800E with an updated sensor.

The D800E for me was all about the fabulous Sony Sensor. Its a great camera but if you get similar performance in a smaller package then I am in.

Lightning fast AF in all circumstance is not a deal breaker for me. Low light high ISO performance would be a point of evaluation for me.

The 36mp sensor in the D800E is the highest rating sensor on DXOmark. An updated version of that could be even better. Its one hell of a sensor.

Greg.

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,859Gear list
Like?
My want and need sides of the brain ;-)

spacemn wrote:

o No IBIS

o Eye tracking AF

o They have Wifi and NFC

o 1/8000 shutter speed

o Weather sealed

O Tiltable screens

Sony Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8

...I would buy!

I'm in two minds of this with FF. I want it, but can't see me actually NEEDING it !!

I get to see images from FF shooters I stand next to for bird shooting and to be honest, completely honest with myself, I'm not missing out on a lot. I know the benefits of it, but again the main benefits of it are more to do with who is actually behind it and what's in front of the sensor (lenses).

So I'm torn with this one and the choice. My sensible part of my tiny brain says I am better off to get another NEX-7 and a Nikkor AI 400mm F/3.5 ED. To me that makes far more sense for what I want.

Out of that list you have there, only one thing really hits me that I do need and not just want for the sake of it and that's 1/8000.

All the best and the more I think about it, the more the sensible side kicks in

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads