What does the Sony SLR community think of the Pentax K3? Locked

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
moimoi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,042Gear list
What does the Sony SLR community think of the Pentax K3?
11 months ago

Hello Sony SLR community,

Alright, I am not sure about you, but I found the new Pentax K3 to be very appealing. At least on the paper, it is the best APS-C camera.

It has (almost) everything to dream of, good MP count, built-in IS sensor (newer generation), no AA filter, but with revolutionary technology mimicking the AA filter while shooting subjects prone to Moire (e.g., clothing), new AF system (with 25 crossed-type points), superb ergonomics, focus peaking, 8.3 fps with good buffer (23 images in raw, which is not too shabby), etc.

Not sure what to think since I am a Sony shooter (a850/a900), but I would certainly show some interest in getting one, specially with the 18-35 mm f/1.8 from Sigma, it should be a killer combo.

I checked the full resolution samples posted from the Pentax website, and samples #3 and #4 are quite impressive, plenty of details to play with. I think it is on par with what I see with my Sony a900.

Personally, I think this was the route Sony should have kept pursuing rather than choosing the SLT route, but this should possibly be concerned with another debate.

Anyway, I would be interested in knowing what the Sony SLR community has to say about this upcoming release.

Thanks for your comments/insights.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Moimoi

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
RichV
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,918Gear list
Re: What does the Sony SLR community think of the Pentax K3?
In reply to moimoi, 11 months ago

I think it's interesting on paper but a disappointment for those interested in using flash.  I also disagree that it compares to full frame - on a slightly technical level, yes; but there's a quality of "space" in an image (that I think goes beyond pixel density, but is also related to it) that I always feel when comparing formats.

All that said, I do wish Sony would catch more of that spirit. I'm certainly interested in the variable WB concept, though I'd have to see it in action. I also like that Pentax was an early adopter of DNG output; the weathersealing; Pentax lenses in general; I feel it would be great if Pentax still has a "RAW" button on the body (I'm just remembering from years ago); Pentax also doesn't seem to have the (uniquely?) Sony problem with JPEGs and noise.  There's lots more to appreciate with the K-3 (still on paper, I'll admit) - if I had no associations I'd be seriously interested in following the unfolding of this product (and I'm not closed to the idea of selling my A77 and using Sony for FF with a limited number of lenses, and the K-3 for APS-C if it turns out to be that good).

-- hide signature --

Rich

RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 +6 more
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,810Gear list

moimoi wrote:

Alright, I am not sure about you, but I found the new Pentax K3 to be very appealing. At least on the paper, it is the best APS-C camera.

It has (almost) everything to dream of, good MP count, built-in IS sensor (newer generation), no AA filter, but with revolutionary technology mimicking the AA filter while shooting subjects prone to Moire (e.g., clothing), new AF system (with 25 crossed-type points), superb ergonomics, focus peaking, 8.3 fps with good buffer (23 images in raw, which is not too shabby), etc.

Not sure what to think since I am a Sony shooter (a850/a900), but I would certainly show some interest in getting one, specially with the 18-35 mm f/1.8 from Sigma, it should be a killer combo.

I checked the full resolution samples posted from the Pentax website, and samples #3 and #4 are quite impressive, plenty of details to play with. I think it is on par with what I see with my Sony a900.

Personally, I think this was the route Sony should have kept pursuing rather than choosing the SLT route, but this should possibly be concerned with another debate.

Anyway, I would be interested in knowing what the Sony SLR community has to say about this upcoming release.

I'm not really sure what separates it from the A77 apart from the lack of AA filter.  The anecdotal evidence I've heard is that the AF is good but not fast compared to a high end Nikon or Canon.

I decided this week that I am committed to moving to Sony (my main system is based on m43 at the moment) so I'm waiting to see what the new wave of Sony's bring before I sell off my E-M5 and top quality m43 primes.  I would guess that this and the D7100 (and their own RX1r) are showing Sony that lack of AA or user controllable AA are becoming an important point now which can only be good!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Moimoi

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
moimoi
In reply to JamieTux, 11 months ago

JamieTux wrote:

moimoi wrote:

I'm not really sure what separates it from the A77 apart from the lack of AA filter. The anecdotal evidence I've heard is that the AF is good but not fast compared to a high end Nikon or Canon.

The K3 has most likely a tweaked or updated 24 MP sensor, so one should expect at least some improvement over the A77 in the IQ department, and high ISO performance.

I think it is hard to say as no full review have been published about the K3.  From what I have been reading, Pentax was very much aware that their AF system was not on par with CaNikon, so we should think their new AF module has been largely improved.  It has 25 crossed-type points, which is more than its Canikon counterparts.

I decided this week that I am committed to moving to Sony (my main system is based on m43 at the moment) so I'm waiting to see what the new wave of Sony's bring before I sell off my E-M5 and top quality m43 primes. I would guess that this and the D7100 (and their own RX1r) are showing Sony that lack of AA or user controllable AA are becoming an important point now which can only be good!

Interesting, what does it make you leave the m4/3 camp?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Moimoi

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Moimoi

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,664Gear list

I'd say it looks like a solid camera with some nice features.  I like that Pentax does weather sealed bodies, and IQ I've seen from Pentax cameras has always been good.  I don't see any huge difference overall between any of the current crop of excellent cameras from Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Pentax in the DSLR/SLT/etc marketplace.

Personally, one thing I would find it hard to go without that I love about Sony's DSLRs and SLTs is the excellent, fast live view functionality, and the tilting LCDs.  Every time I do tripod long-exposure work, live view + tilt LCD make it such a pleasure and really sells itself.

But you're not going to get a bad camera nowadays, and the K3 looks like a nice new model for Pentax users or those interested in buying in to Pentax's system.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Cetonid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,471Gear list

I like the weather sealed aspect, but here's what I could do without:

• Small size, similar to A57
  • Lack of tilt screen (deal breaker for me)
  • 5 button navigation pad instead of Sony style joystick.

Of course, those are all personal preferences. Other than that, seems to be a very nice piece of kit.

Cetonid's gear list:Cetonid's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony SLT-A77 +11 more
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,019Gear list

Some nice innovation as there should be between these companies..

Canon is better at some things

Nikon better at some things

Sony better at some things

Good to see Pentax working to be better at some things..

Not much I really envy... but stuff worth noting..

My main hope for Sony is weather sealing lenses to go with weather sealed (moisture resistant ) bodies..

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,265Gear list

Are there any compromises in live view mode wrt AF? Also, how is AF during video?

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list

moimoi wrote:

• 24.4 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
  • Sensor-shift image stabilization with rotational compensation
  • Anti-aliasing 'simulator' (camera has no optical low-pass filter)
  • SAFOX 11 TTL autofocus system (27-point, 25 of which are cross-type)
  • 3.2-inch LCD with 3:2 aspect ratio and 1.037k dots
  • Pentaprism optical viewfinder with 0.95x magnification, 100% coverage
  • 8.3 fps continuous shooting
  • 1920 x 1080 video recording (60i, 30p, 24p)
  • Dual SD card slots
  • Headphone, microphone ports
  • USB 3.0 support

OMG !

It don't have compet here !

- don't care about sensor shift, because with a 24MP APS-C it would be better working with mono or tripod!

- no question about AA filter, because the A77 have 3000 lp/mm what outresolve any lens on the today DSLR market...

- With 10 fps, the A77 outperform the AF system of Pentax ( of course)

- Since you use the SLT most of the time for stills, what about the LCD (we don't need this one imho)

- 60i for vidéo applications, is not what is required for a today V-DSLR/SLT cam.

- dual card slot? Since you can see your shot on screen, and it showing well, it's just that you have on your memory card!

What is lacking about the Sony Flagship? Maybe you know already?

I' m afraid the Pentax don't have what is necessary fot this class of sensor:

- no AF micro adjustment?

- no area-specific noise reduction (NR) and sharpness enhancement algorithms? What can vary the amount of NR/SH depending on the content (Area specific noise reduction and sharpness enhancement!) is supposed to analyze image content and vary the amount of NR/SH depending on the content. Basically more NR in smooth areas (like a sky) and less in areas with lots of detail, so not to smudge legitimate detail, truly important feature with 24 MP, because the sensor outresolve lenses!!!;

- no standard battery pack?

- don't provide a clean HDMI signal?

- no real time logic of embedded thermocolorimeter? Do your remember the one of Minolta? This point is the most important problem of Pentax here. Mostly is in-camera over saturated comparing to the standard of Graphic Industry imho.

Of course the lacking of all what you don't have with an OVF comparing to SLT (but it's personnal).

And if you really want's to compare with FF -SLT features:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42509079

Anyway, this Sigma lens is also available for Sony A-mount:

http://www.sigma-photo.fr/Optiques/Objectifs-pour-Reflex-APS-C/détails-18-35mm-F1-8-DC-HSM-ART-p254.aspx

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Moimoi

Regards,
--
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,810Gear list

moimoi wrote:

JamieTux wrote:

I'm not really sure what separates it from the A77 apart from the lack of AA filter. The anecdotal evidence I've heard is that the AF is good but not fast compared to a high end Nikon or Canon.

The K3 has most likely a tweaked or updated 24 MP sensor, so one should expect at least some improvement over the A77 in the IQ department, and high ISO performance.

I think it is hard to say as no full review have been published about the K3. From what I have been reading, Pentax was very much aware that their AF system was not on par with CaNikon, so we should think their new AF module has been largely improved. It has 25 crossed-type points, which is more than its Canikon counterparts.

I decided this week that I am committed to moving to Sony (my main system is based on m43 at the moment) so I'm waiting to see what the new wave of Sony's bring before I sell off my E-M5 and top quality m43 primes. I would guess that this and the D7100 (and their own RX1r) are showing Sony that lack of AA or user controllable AA are becoming an important point now which can only be good!

Interesting, what does it make you leave the m4/3 camp?

A couple of reasons:
1) I made the decision last Christmas that I wanted to enjoy photography, I had a Canon 5D2 and the Olympus EM-5 beat it in every way - so I jumped.  Later in the year a couple of my (non photography) clients had gone due to the recession and I filled the gap with photography, I needed quicker AF tracking and so I ended up back at the SLR form factor.

2) Since getting the A99 (and more photography work) I've hardly touched the m43 kit - the times that I have it's been as a second body to the A99 - a second A99 (or A7r, A77, etc) would make more sense in that case!

3) I value the quality of lenses - maintaining 2 systems becomes very expensive - at the moment I can use my alpha lenses on the m43 with an adapter (that I already have) but not the other way around.
So I have my second m43 body on ebay, I've sold my FL duplicated lenses and once I see where Sony is going I will probably sell the rest of the m43 kit and replace it with Sony stuff instead so that I am running one system with 2 (potentially different form factor) bodies.
I'm not bothered by using multiple camera bodies and jumping between them - I'm pretty tech savvy and go out and make pressure situations to make sure I know them before I use them professionally - but I would like to only spend one lot of money on the lenses and accessories and get full functionality on both/all bodies.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Moimoi

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Moimoi

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
sensibill
Senior MemberPosts: 4,344Gear list
Only one thing missing: an A mount. (nt)
-- hide signature --
 sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list

An A77 by any other name would smell as sweet.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
Ronald A Yorko
Contributing MemberPosts: 574Gear list
Two drawbacks

While I think the K-3, at it's price range, really ups the bar for technology and features, I don't like the fixed LCD.  Secondly, I prefer using the viewfinder, and most OVF info displays are in those choppy little led like letters and symbols.  One of the reasons I chose Sony was I could actually easily read all of the displayed info in the EVF.  Perhaps Pentax's fixed LCD is there because you'd constantly be checking if to be able to read screen info.  As far as live view is concerned, the Pentax is an improvement, but again, with my Sony I just leave it on and don't have to be turning a switch or pressing a button to go back and forth.

Anyway, I hope Sony takes a cue from the new features on the K-3 in developing a successor to the A77.

Ronald A Yorko's gear list:Ronald A Yorko's gear list
DxO Optics Pro Standard
moimoi
In reply to Michel J, 11 months ago

Michel J wrote:

moimoi wrote:

• 24.4 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
  • Sensor-shift image stabilization with rotational compensation
  • Anti-aliasing 'simulator' (camera has no optical low-pass filter)
  • SAFOX 11 TTL autofocus system (27-point, 25 of which are cross-type)
  • 3.2-inch LCD with 3:2 aspect ratio and 1.037k dots
  • Pentaprism optical viewfinder with 0.95x magnification, 100% coverage
  • 8.3 fps continuous shooting
  • 1920 x 1080 video recording (60i, 30p, 24p)
  • Dual SD card slots
  • Headphone, microphone ports
  • USB 3.0 support

OMG !

It don't have compet here !

- don't care about sensor shift, because with a 24MP APS-C it would be better working with mono or tripod!

I am not sure I understand your rationale here.  The sensor shift if it works properly is a superb feature to have.  The amount of details you get by removing the AA filter makes quite a bit of a difference, specially when you get higher pixel count.

- no question about AA filter, because the A77 have 3000 lp/mm what outresolve any lens on the today DSLR market...

Still, you will see the difference with or without AA filter.  What's more interesting is that Pentax seems to have found a solution to the AA filter problem, and can possibly remove Moire for situations that need to do so.  I think this is something to acknowledge from Pentax.  I consider this as a significant move, specially that no other companies have thought of it.

- With 10 fps, the A77 outperform the AF system of Pentax ( of course)

10 fps vs 8.3 fps but buffer is almost 40-45% larger for the Pentax.  For an APS-C DSLR camera, that's pretty darn good.

- Since you use the SLT most of the time for stills, what about the LCD (we don't need this one imho)

- 60i for vidéo applications, is not what is required for a today V-DSLR/SLT cam.

- dual card slot? Since you can see your shot on screen, and it showing well, it's just that you have on your memory card!

I am not sure I understand.

What is lacking about the Sony Flagship? Maybe you know already?

I don't think it is a question of lacking, but a matter of preference.  If someone is seeking for an OVF, the Pentax might be a nice option.

I' m afraid the Pentax don't have what is necessary fot this class of sensor:

- no AF micro adjustment?

I believe the K5 or K5ii(s) has it.

- no area-specific noise reduction (NR) and sharpness enhancement algorithms? What can vary the amount of NR/SH depending on the content (Area specific noise reduction and sharpness enhancement!) is supposed to analyze image content and vary the amount of NR/SH depending on the content. Basically more NR in smooth areas (like a sky) and less in areas with lots of detail, so not to smudge legitimate detail, truly important feature with 24 MP, because the sensor outresolve lenses

Shoot raw, that's done in post-processing when one has full control over the phot.

!!!;

- no standard battery pack?

- don't provide a clean HDMI signal?

- no real time logic of embedded thermocolorimeter? Do your remember the one of Minolta? This point is the most important problem of Pentax here. Mostly is in-camera over saturated comparing to the standard of Graphic Industry imho.

Of course the lacking of all what you don't have with an OVF comparing to SLT (but it's personnal).

And if you really want's to compare with FF -SLT features:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42509079

The remaining is nothing relevant to what Pentax is proposing with their K3.   The K3 seems to be on the paper a very powerful took for still photography.  Let's wait for the reviews.

Anyway, this Sigma lens is also available for Sony A-mount:

http://www.sigma-photo.fr/Optiques/Objectifs-pour-Reflex-APS-C/détails-18-35mm-F1-8-DC-HSM-ART-p254.aspx

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Moimoi

Regards,
--
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Moimoi

Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,243Gear list
We don't like sl***ing mirror!

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
emmanuelg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,579Gear list

I work for RICOH AMERICAS CORPORATION. RICOH bought Pentax.

-- hide signature --

Emmanuel
"A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger." - King Solomon

emmanuelg's gear list:emmanuelg's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 1.4x Teleconverter
stan_pustylnik
Senior MemberPosts: 3,360Gear list

Not interested, because I can get any photo with lenses I have in backpack + Sony A850.

-- hide signature --

Person is taking photos, not camera. When photograph is bad, it's because photographer doesn't know how to choose settings optimal to "own preferences". Then blames camera for bad IQ.
This is same as blaming car about arriving to wrong destination.
http://stan-pustylnik.smugmug.com

stan_pustylnik's gear list:stan_pustylnik's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
moimoi
Re: We don't like sl***ing mirror!
In reply to Nordstjernen, 11 months ago

Nordstjernen wrote:

Slapping mirror-based cameras never prevented taking excellent-quality photos though. Proof is that some of the most memorable photographs were taken via a slapping mirror, like it or not.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Moimoi

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,959Gear list

moimoi wrote:

The K3 looks like a fantastic camera but I have too much invested in the A mount to contemplate changing systems. It isn't like the K3 makes my cameras obsolete or is a huge leap forward. My Sony system is great in it's own right and I'm satisfied with what I have.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
In reply to JamieTux, 11 months ago

I don't think anything about a Pentax or any other camera brand. I am thrilled with my STL and I see no reason to even consider changing brands or changing cameras. I prefer to spend my time taking photos.

-- hide signature --

My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads