Great value for money

Started 10 months ago | User reviews
iudex
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Great value for money
10 months ago

This lens is great considering it´s price tag. Very lightweight with long reach, ideal for nature or wildlife when travelling light. Sufficiently sharp (though not extraordinary), resistance to flare, bit softer at the tele end.

Not very fast, but solid course of the lens speed: f4 from 55 to 107mm, f4,5 from 110 to 190mm and f5,6 from 210mm; f5,8 only at the very end. So the best for portraits (shallow DOF) is to shoot at 190mm at f4,5, where the outcome is very decent.

iudex's gear list:iudex's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
iudex's score
Average community score
robbo d
Contributing MemberPosts: 902Gear list
Like?
Re: Great value for money
In reply to iudex, 10 months ago

+1..........I have the DA-L version which came as the kit with the Kx four years ago??. I have since seen that for sale on its own on ebay, brand new for not much over $200 a while ago (admittedly when the Aussie dollar was a bit stronger).

My version has the plastic mount and i have bought an aftermarket hood for $3.....but optically great. I have no issues at 300mm, still find it very sharp in the centre, perhaps I have the one made by the person who won staff member of the month award?

The only thing with the 55-300 now, is that yes it's noisy, yes it hunts for AF, but probably a few have caught up with it's optics now in current competition. Nevertheless a fine lens for the $$$ and with the WR and HD version, be keen to see if IQ has been enhanced futher ???

robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TomWret
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487Gear list
Like?
Re: Great value for money
In reply to iudex, 10 months ago

iudex, I think that the new HD version will even be better, also I think its priced under $500 US even a better deal.

Lets hope, Tom W(ret)

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault.

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads