Photography stock moving PC to mac

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
yorkshirerob
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?
Photography stock moving PC to mac
6 months ago

I've always used PC, but would love to swap to iMac. I've delayed the change because I don't understand the basics.

My photographs are stored on multiple external HDDs and Blu Ray disks...

..and although it's a pretty basic question....

Will an iMac recognise the HDD's when I connect up? I'm thinking the answer is no, but as this must be a common problem, I'm presuming there's a way round it?

Any help appreciated!

Rob

yorkshirerob's gear list:yorkshirerob's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Jen Yates
Senior MemberPosts: 1,206
Like?
Re: Photography stock moving PC to mac
In reply to yorkshirerob, 6 months ago

yorkshirerob wrote:

Will an iMac recognise the HDD's when I connect up? I'm thinking the answer is no, but as this must be a common problem, I'm presuming there's a way round it?

The answer is almost certainly 'YES!' but with a caveat.

If your external drives are formatted in Fat 32 format then they will just work. No problems, you'll be able to read and write to them.

If (more likely) they are formatted in NTFS you'll be able to read from them, but not write back to them without using / purchasing third party drivers.

The reason is that the NTFS "(Windows) New Technology File System" they introduced with Windows NT is Microsoft's own beast. Apple have given us read support but they've left write support to others to handle.

The main NTFS driver is:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

But google returns alternatives that may work for you.

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/backup-plus-desk/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
yorkshirerob
Like?
In reply to Jen Yates, 6 months ago

Thanks for the quick response Jen.

Sounds promising, as I don't really want to write to these HDDs, as they're just storage.

I just want to read from them.

Any idea how I can find out how they're formatted? Can't see anything obvious on the control panel..

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

yorkshirerob wrote:

I've always used PC, but would love to swap to iMac. I've delayed the change because I don't understand the basics.

My photographs are stored on multiple external HDDs and Blu Ray disks...

..and although it's a pretty basic question....

Any help appreciated!

Rob

Jen Yates explained it well but I would add that to forgo having to use and depend on additional software to write to the NTFS drives all you simply need to do is copy the NTFS or FAT32 formatted drive files and folders to Mac formatted drives.

Another reason for switching over entirely to Mac OS X Extended formatted drives is that some Apple apps, such as Aperture and iPhoto, can behave erratically with external drives not formatted for the Mac OS. This isn't some kind of bug. It's that Apple simply does not support using anything else besides Mac OS X Extended for such apps.

My strong recommendation is to format all your external drives (disregard your camera flash cards) to the Mac OS X Extended file format for the best and most reliable performance, especially if you are not going to be dealing with Windows much. Remember, if you do that you will still always be able to at least read both Windows file formats.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

yorkshirerob wrote:

Thanks for the quick response Jen.

Sounds promising, as I don't really want to write to these HDDs, as they're just storage.

I just want to read from them.

Any idea how I can find out how they're formatted? Can't see anything obvious on the control panel..

If you are just planning on reading them it doesn't matter what Windows file format they are using as the Mac will read either.

yorkshirerob
Like?

Jen, and Basalite,

Thanks so much for taking the time to advise.

It seems there's no excuse not to take the plunge when I've saved up enough pennies

Cheers

Rob

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

yorkshirerob wrote:

Jen, and Basalite,

Thanks so much for taking the time to advise.

It seems there's no excuse not to take the plunge when I've saved up enough pennies

Cheers

Rob

There is simply no better overall computing experience than the Mac, and that's an understatement. I'm sure you'll be happy with your new Mac.

uniball
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?

I'd seriously recommend you reformat those externals. GUID is my preference so cloning, if ever the case arises, is not an issue. Having a Mac interface with a NFTS partition will, at some point or another, be problematic. 3rd party software in this area is quite geeky.  My view is a DOS partition is just as bad though many do it.

Also think disk repair tools. If they run on a Mac, they will not support a Windows partition. I know none of the more popular ones support NTFS. Perhaps there's some little utility out there, supported, at least supported today, that can manage this, on your valuable files.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads