X-E2: Is it enough of an upgrade for you?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,555
Like?
X-E2: Is it enough of an upgrade for you?
11 months ago

So far the rumors seem to be pretty lackluster.

TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,478Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E2: Is it enough of an upgrade for you?
In reply to dotborg, 11 months ago

dotborg wrote:

I'd love to see more exposure bracketing options. Minimum SS in auto ISO as well since it seems they will NEVER do it on the XE1/XP1. Those would make a difference to me. Of course I would be all over a bayer option, but I don't think we will see that for a while.

I am not really sure the split image focusing will be too valuable. We may see the multi color peaking rolled out on the XE2 before they implement it via FW on the older models. That would make a difference.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,817Gear list
Like?
In reply to TThorne, 11 months ago

The problem with rumours is that it is difficult to know whether they are true or not , I'm going to wait & see.

TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,478Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, 11 months ago

Keit ll wrote:

The problem with rumours is that it is difficult to know whether they are true or not , I'm going to wait & see.

Can't argue with that.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Beat Traveller
Regular MemberPosts: 483Gear list
Like?

Lord knows I'm still getting to grips with functions on the X-E1, I don't really need much more. Maybe four years down the track if it comes with weather sealing and a physical ISO dial, I'll consider it.

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Stephen787
Regular MemberPosts: 214
Like?

dotborg wrote:

No, i would buy it if it is much better spec, but with this spec i will not. i was waiting for months for the spec of the next generation. Very disappointing. They are targeting mostly on lower end, yes there is still high end optics coming, but look at all their recent cameras and low end lenses. For every 2 low end product, 1 high end.

Try to go to shop after release and buy their higher end lenses, see how long you have to wait.

barba
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?

Maybe. So far it's just rumors. I'll see next week when it's released and what the critics + users say about it. If they are positive I'll head to the store and try it. If I like it then, I'll buy it.

Pär

barba's gear list:barba's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422Gear list
Like?

Looks like a couple of guys have done a 6-minute review of it with the camera blurred out. Looks like Fuji legal jumped in, 'cos the video has evaporated. Interesting. Might be a marketing ploy.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,315Gear list
Like?

Since I held off buying an XE1 when the XM came out and rumors started about the XE2, I'm certainly very interested to see the XE2.

I'm still a DSLR user interested in smaller kit for landscape, travel and hiking, and I'm not invested in any mirror-less lenses yet.  So, I'll be looking at all the new cameras and lenses very carefully -  the advent of mirror-less FF from Sony also looks interesting, if expensive.

Hopefully we'll be wiser within a week or so.......

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 2,053Gear list
Like?

The keyword here is "rumour"... even if the XE-2 comes up to be the nicest camera in the world, I will not trade my XE-1. Why? The XE-1 does all I need.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
marco1974
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539Gear list
Like?
In reply to TThorne, 11 months ago

TThorne wrote:

dotborg wrote:

I'd love to see more exposure bracketing options.

I personally don't care about that. I've never used bracketing (or HDR) with any camera.

Minimum SS in auto ISO as well since it seems they will NEVER do it on the XE1/XP1.

Now, THIS would be useful to me too (still hope the bring it to the XE1 with a new firmware, though)

Those would make a difference to me. Of course I would be all over a bayer option, but I don't think we will see that for a while.

Bayer is inferior to X-trans for me, as it either requires an AA filter (less detail) or causes moiré (ugly as hell to me). YMMV

I am not really sure the split image focusing will be too valuable.

Not sure either. I like peaking more.

We may see the multi color peaking rolled out on the XE2 before they implement it via FW on the older models. That would make a difference.

Possibly, not sure. I find funky colours distracting. White has worked nicely for me till now.

M.

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
marco1974
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 11 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

I'm still a DSLR user interested in smaller kit for landscape, travel and hiking, and I'm not invested in any mirror-less lenses yet.

That runs a bit counter to your interest in "smaller kit", as adapted DSLR lenses are typically bulkier than native XF ones...

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212Gear list
Like?

I need following changes:

- wider bracketing range (at least +/-2Ev, better 3Ev with adjustable step);
- better EVF, not catching external light on the bright sun;
- AF-AE lock button moved to the different location, where it is not pressed accidentally so easily.

Tiltable read display would be nice, but I can live without it.

Control over wifi...

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,315Gear list
Like?
In reply to marco1974, 11 months ago

marco1974 wrote:

Rod McD wrote:

I'm still a DSLR user interested in smaller kit for landscape, travel and hiking, and I'm not invested in any mirror-less lenses yet.

That runs a bit counter to your interest in "smaller kit", as adapted DSLR lenses are typically bulkier than native XF ones...

I didn't mention adapted DSLR lenses, I just described what I'm currently using (which happens to be mostly small primes).  I'd probably buy the 18-55 for travel if I do buy an XE2.  I may use adapted DSLR glass as well.

FWIW,  primes up to about 100mm are often about the same size as mirror-less lenses and some are smaller.  There are huge numbers of primes out there (MF and AF) that have filter sizes of 46, 49 & 52mm - hardly large.  I acknowledge that fast zooms and longer teles for DSLRs are larger but I don't plan to use them on a mirror-less camera - I'll keep my DSLR for that.  To me, and for me, large and fast zoom lenses seem to defeat the purpose of going mirror-less, but it's absolutely each to his own.

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
masterofdeception
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?

I think I'll wait for the X-E3.  At this rate, it should be out early next year I'd guess!

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,572Gear list
Like?

If the video improvements are true with manual control where you can control shutter, aperture independently and if the way it focuses is better then it will be good.

I would like a fully articulated OLED AND more external flash options.

They need an accessory grip like really right stuffs that give you access to the battery and card.  I can not imagine not using my RRS grip it is that nice. At the same time it would be nice if the camera had a better feel in the hands off the bat.

Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191
Like?
What xe2?

Condemning vaporware is about as productive as praising it. With several new releases in the last year Fuji has the market well covered. It doesn't make sense for fuji to erode the brand with an incremental upgrade.

dotborg wrote:

RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,660
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 11 months ago

57LowRider wrote:

Looks like a couple of guys have done a 6-minute review of it with the camera blurred out. Looks like Fuji legal jumped in, 'cos the video has evaporated. Interesting. Might be a marketing ploy.

I saw the video and one thing they really stressed was the low light capability of the camera, now considering the fact that we know how the X100s/X-E1/X- Pro perform, then for them to be so vocal about how good this new camera is leads me to think there may be something new in terms of sensor technology or image processing that exceeds what's currently available.

If this is the case and the X-E2 focusses more quickly with the new AF system from the X100s then i may possibly be tempted depending on what i can sell me X-E1 for...

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

I love that not only every model of camera introduced is disappointing, now even the rumors of new cameras are disappointing.

This place is impossible to please.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
jwc54321
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?

From the rumors, it looks like more of an update than an upgrade. It's probably going to be called X-E1s, mirroring X100's cycle, and because the XE-1 hasn't been out for long.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads