Wow...Paul Ryan said something intelligent!

Started Oct 9, 2013 | Discussions
Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 45,319Gear list
Like?
Wow...Paul Ryan said something intelligent!
Oct 9, 2013

"This isn't a grand bargain. For that, we need a complete rethinking of government's approach to helping the most vulnerable, and a complete rethinking of government's approach to health care. But right now, we need to find common ground. We need to open the federal government. We need to pay our bills today—and make sure we can pay our bills tomorrow. So let's negotiate an agreement to make modest reforms to entitlement programs and the tax code."

Incredible!  Another Republican that gets it!  And his party's nominee for VP no less!

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
rwbaron
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,466Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow...Paul Ryan said something intelligent!
In reply to Lee Jay, Oct 9, 2013

I'm not a fan of Ryan though he is my representative but I will say he's no Tea Party idiot.  I actually feel for the moderate and more sane Republicans.  They are between the proverbial "rock and a hard place" with the Tea Party backers fronting serious primary challenges to them for stepping out of line with the loony's.  People like Ryan are walking a tight rope they shouldn't have to be walking.

Bob

rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 50D +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 6,247Gear list
Like?

Just words. Looks how they vote, not what they say.

lownine
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,641
Like?

"This isn't a grand bargain. For that, we need a complete rethinking of government's approach to helping the most vulnerable, and a complete rethinking of government's approach to health care. But right now, we need to find common ground. We need to open the federal government. We need to pay our bills today—and make sure we can pay our bills tomorrow. So let's negotiate an agreement to make modest reforms to entitlement programs and the tax code."

Incredible!  Another Republican that gets it!  And his party's nominee for VP no less!

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

A pretty good example of the state of affairs when someone said, " Wow, Paul Ryan intelligent." Take your favorite 100 legislators and Ryan has forgotten more about the budget and the fisc than they know collectively.

Lee Jay
Like?
In reply to lownine, Oct 9, 2013

lownine wrote:

Incredible! Another Republican that gets it! And his party's nominee for VP no less!

A pretty good example of the state of affairs when someone said, " Wow, Paul Ryan intelligent." Take your favorite 100 legislators and Ryan has forgotten more about the budget and the fisc than they know collectively.

Maybe it would have been in his best interest to remember some of it.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Chato
Forum ProPosts: 45,993Gear list
Like?
Why are you saying he's intelligent?

ljfinger wrote:

lownine wrote:

Incredible! Another Republican that gets it! And his party's nominee for VP no less!

He's STILL demanding concessions in order to raise the debt ceiling. No concessions, "Fk you America."

Peter King and other Republicans are simply calling for a clean up and down vote. So, he's from planet earth...

Dave

-- hide signature --

"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

Lee Jay
Like?
I didn't.
In reply to Chato, Oct 9, 2013

Chato wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

lownine wrote:

I said he said something intelligent.

He's STILL demanding concessions in order to raise the debt ceiling. No concessions, "Fk you America."

Maybe.  I read it as a progression - open the federal government, raise the debt ceiling, and negotiate modest reforms, in that order.  Maybe that's not what he meant.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Don_D
Forum ProPosts: 12,830Gear list
Like?

ljfinger wrote:

Yeah, I just heard this on the radio.  I was surprised, I hope that he has some influence on Republicans.

His statements didn't mention Obamacare, which up to now has been the Tea Party's main target.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/dond
Don

Don_D's gear list:Don_D's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +3 more
rb59020
Contributing MemberPosts: 668Gear list
Like?
Re: Why are you saying he's intelligent?
In reply to Chato, Oct 9, 2013

Cutting spending is gay!

rb59020's gear list:rb59020's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Pentax K-30 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
Walking Dead
Senior MemberPosts: 6,130Gear list
Like?
The devel's are in the details
In reply to Lee Jay, Oct 10, 2013

ljfinger wrote:

Entitlement programs are things like Social Security and Medicare. So, what is he proposing? Cutting the benefits, raising the retirement age?

And what kind of 'modest reforms' to the tax code is he proposing? I have never heard a republican say let's raise taxes, have you.

He may have some good ideas, but right now, it's like him saying, "we need to put Americans back to work." Sounds good, but meaningless without the details.

-- hide signature --

Defender of Truth, Justice, and the American Way

Walking Dead's gear list:Walking Dead's gear list
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Ahender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554
Like?
Re: The devel's are in the details
In reply to Walking Dead, Oct 10, 2013

Right now it is just a game of chicken.  It is just a game, nothing else.

DUSTY LENS
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,744
Like?

ljfinger wrote:

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

His comments were directed at Obama he is the only one who refuses to negotiate or to have any even exchange of ideas or solutions .

Obama is the Dictator here and he insists on being the Dictator .

So , I guess this makes Paul Ryan at least of average intelligence .

He would have shown more intelligence had he said it is time to defend the American people by defunding any future invasion surrender of this nation , hiding under the name " Immigration Reform " . Another lie .

America does not need another half of Mexico here collecting welfare and social security fraud schemes .

We need a break from invasion and we need to stop all future assaults on the Sovereignty of the America and this nation with bills which do nothing but force more invasion on our working Americans and on our tax payers , even on our prisons and grade schools , highways and energy supplies .

We need a republican and a democrat , and a president who will represent and defend the American legal citizens , the back bone that always pays the bills but never has a voice in Washington .

When we have to shut the government down to defend the American people , then I say shut er down as long as it takes .

Far better than having a government that does nothing but assault our people and our nation and ignores the will of the American people .

Thank you Mr. Speaker for shutting down this criminal in the Oval Office . Please do it until we get rid of these criminals who constantly attack the people . with vicious money and nation grabbing agendas .

Dusty

boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,295Gear list
Like?
The same thought occurred to me
In reply to Walking Dead, Oct 10, 2013

Walking Dead wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

Entitlement programs are things like Social Security and Medicare. So, what is he proposing? Cutting the benefits, raising the retirement age?

My thinking, too.  I am betting he isn't talking about increasing benefits and raising taxes.

Why not cut the billions in subsidies to oil companies?  And cut the subsidies to corporate agribusiness.  And how about, at the very least, cutting some of the 'defence' budget that is being spent acquiring items that the Pentagon emphatically don't want?

And what kind of 'modest reforms' to the tax code is he proposing? I have never heard a republican say let's raise taxes, have you.

Reagan comes to mind immediately.  And Bush 41.  And, further back, Eisenhower had no problem raising taxes (to a top rate of 92%).

He may have some good ideas, but right now, it's like him saying, "we need to put Americans back to work." Sounds good, but meaningless without the details.

Quite true.

Politicians are professional liars, after all.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
D P O'neil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,872
Like?
In reply to DUSTY LENS, Oct 10, 2013

I think you might be on to something Dusty. Have you thought about going into politics, your country needs more people like you. Forward thinkers, close the borders, enough with these foreign immigrants.

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards
Dennis P O'Neil APSNZ
"People are dying to live in America"

DUSTY LENS
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,744
Like?
In reply to D P O'neil, Oct 10, 2013

D P O'neil wrote:

I think you might be on to something Dusty. Have you thought about going into politics, your country needs more people like you. Forward thinkers, close the borders, enough with these foreign immigrants.

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards
Dennis P O'Neil APSNZ

They claim they want to live in a country that gives them a better life , but they forget we had to defend this land from people who only wanted to kill Americans , and that was only about 100 years in our past .

Now insead of wanting to kill all of us they only want to steal our nation . What next ?

Why don't they go mack to Mexico and build their own better nation and build their own better lives , instead of stealing what Americans had to die for .

These are some vicious hardened drug dealing criminals . Surely they can take over their own Government and fix what they want fixed . They have no difficulty corrupting our government to steal our nation .

Americans need to wake up and steal their own nation back .

Begin by treason enforcement against any politician who offers us surrender to invasion bills in our own government , and by our own President . This one originated in the Re puking can party . So they are both the same when it comes to destroying the American people and the theft of our nation .

I actually hate both parties when I realize this .

Dusty

Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,344
Like?
I wouldn't trust it...

Why is he saying it to the public and not to his colleagues?  Why isn't he campaigning and lobbying against the current Republican extortion attempt.  Sounds to me he is just speaking to his voters after all he isn't VP yet.

ljfinger wrote:

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

vadimraskin
Senior MemberPosts: 3,585Gear list
Like?
In reply to DUSTY LENS, Oct 10, 2013

DUSTY LENS wrote:

D P O'neil wrote:

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards
Dennis P O'Neil APSNZ

They claim they want to live in a country that gives them a better life , but they forget we had to defend this land from people who only wanted to kill Americans , and that was only about 100 years in our past .

Who did you have to defend your land from 100 years ago, Dusty? Native Americans? Don't forget HOW this great nation of yours started to begin with: by stealing the land from its native owners! This country was built by immigrants who came in search of better life. So, unless you are a Native American by decent, you really have no case against immigration.

Now insead of wanting to kill all of us they only want to steal our nation . What next ?

next? They will work and create wealth and if we allow them to do it LEGALLY, this wealth will stay here in form of taxes and goods rather than being transported back to their original country.

Why don't they go mack to Mexico and build their own better nation and build their own better lives , instead of stealing what Americans had to die for .

Why didn't your ancestors build a better life whereever they immigrated from? Italy, Poland, England?

These are some vicious hardened drug dealing criminals . Surely they can take over their own Government and fix what they want fixed . They have no difficulty corrupting our government to steal our nation .

Americans need to wake up and steal their own nation back .

You don't have to "steal" your country back from anyone. Nobody wants it. You can have it all for yourself.

Begin by treason enforcement against any politician who offers us surrender to invasion bills in our own government , and by our own President . This one originated in the Re puking can party . So they are both the same when it comes to destroying the American people and the theft of our nation .

One breath of fgreash air that came from GOP recently amd it is being killed by the retards from the Tea Party.

I actually hate both parties when I realize this

I am with you here, brother...

Dusty

vadimraskin's gear list:vadimraskin's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +3 more
rwbaron
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,466Gear list
Like?
Re: I wouldn't trust it...
In reply to Roger99, Oct 10, 2013

Ryan's a Republican front runner for the 2016 Presidential election.  He's simply moderating his position for the general electorate to appear as more of a centrist.  He's smart enough to know he can't get elected to the POTUS running as far to the right as Romney did.

Bob

Roger99 wrote:

Why is he saying it to the public and not to his colleagues? Why isn't he campaigning and lobbying against the current Republican extortion attempt. Sounds to me he is just speaking to his voters after all he isn't VP yet.

ljfinger wrote:

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 50D +20 more
sdribetahi
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?

Reform entitlement programs. That's like pouring water on a witch for liberals. Unless by reform, you mean 'increase'.

JLTaylor
Contributing MemberPosts: 856
Like?

ljfinger wrote:

We need to open the federal government. We need to pay our bills today—and make sure we can pay our bills tomorrow.

With him so far..

So let's negotiate an agreement to make modest reforms to entitlement programs and the tax code."

..and there he goes off the rail.

This position is modest reforms are so critical that if he doesn't get them the government remains closed and we will perhaps default.

And ran on his budget, got rejected, used extortion get the sequester with a budget close to what voters rejected.

Now his suggestion is we use extortion to also negotiate lower taxes.

How about they open the government and meet the fiscal commitments they already agreed to. Then act like a democracy, get rid of the sequester (a bad budget) make compromises, which would be  a  budget with some cuts and some tax increases? Something for both sides.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads