I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .

Started Oct 9, 2013 | Discussions
evancj
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to VisionLight, Oct 11, 2013

What a great set Ed!!!!!!!!!!

An excellent display of the capabilities of a great camera in the hands of an extraordinary talent.

Looks like you had one of those hikes where everything was out and about and ready to have it's photo taken. I love days like these.

I enjoyed this set very much, I wish you would have posted some landscapes.

Thanks for showing these.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,727Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to evancj, Oct 11, 2013

You are too kind my friend. It was a good day. The weather was perfect. The subjects cooperated. And the camera was, as usual, very cooperative. A great combination for getting some good images.

Landscapes? Next week I hope. The area I was in was still too "green" on this trip. Next week I have tentative plans to head on a short trip to the Berkshire Mountains where it should be peak colors by then.

Ed

 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RhiteOn
Regular MemberPosts: 290
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to VisionLight, 9 months ago

Superb! +++

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,748Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to VisionLight, 9 months ago

Ed,

I'm glad this thread popped up again because I had completely missed it -- nice shots!  You have gotten a lot of detail out of this little gem.  I have yet to use the SX50 on a tripod but plan to when the bluebonnets show up this spring.  I assume you use a cable release also?

We have a pair of eagles that have made our small lake here in The Woodlands their home for over a decade now and I just read an article about them that they are past the age to produce off spring (happens to the best of us I guess :-)) They have had twenty two babies over the years so maybe some of the kids will move back home?

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,727Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to RhiteOn, 9 months ago

RhiteOn wrote:

Superb! +++

Thank you. That is high praise.

Ed

 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stephen Barrett
Contributing MemberPosts: 566Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to VisionLight, 9 months ago

Simply amazing detail and colour, Ed.

 Stephen Barrett's gear list:Stephen Barrett's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,784Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to Stephen Barrett, 9 months ago

Stephen Barrett wrote:

Simply amazing detail and colour, Ed.

bit of over reaction.

Just ok detail and so so colour.

Still the OP got the most out of his kit.

Diffraction just limits the ammount of detail here. nothing he could do about it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,727Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to MurryG, 9 months ago

MurryG wrote:

Ed,

I'm glad this thread popped up again because I had completely missed it -- nice shots! You have gotten a lot of detail out of this little gem. I have yet to use the SX50 on a tripod but plan to when the bluebonnets show up this spring. I assume you use a cable release also?

Thank you my friend. I'm glad you were able to finally enjoy them.

Although I used a tripod in a (that is, my) normal way for the rattler and the owl, I used it more like a monopod for the eagle. From the time we came into such close view of the eagle to the time I pressed the shutter was literally 5 to 6 seconds. The zoom was already out to 1200mm and I was holding the camera on an unlocked head in my right hand with my left hand curled around all three legs monopod style. As I saw the eagle was turning its head away from us, I reacted instinctively by planting the legs on the ground as one, swiveling the camera toward the eagle's eyes, focused and pressed the shutter. The opportunity was then gone, but I already had the picture.

It was while still standing there and comparing pictures (and my fellow hikers marveling at what the SX50 could do) that I noticed what looked like movement in the shaded hollow of a tree not far away. I moved as close as I could get and this time planted the spread tripod legs to get a look through the 1200mm lens. Thus the image of the owl. And I did take it rather quickly as well, not because the owl was going anywhere, but because I didn't want to disturb it any more than I already had.

Note that the rattler was also taken earlier in a normal tripod mode, again rather quickly as it was moving away from me behind the large rock. It would however pose perfectly still for a few seconds at a time, allowing the shot. And also, each image was taken without a cable release. I only use the cable release for landscapes with the tripod head locked. For wildlife, I leave the head loose and my hand on the shutter release to be able to react quickly when, not if, the subjects move.

We have a pair of eagles that have made our small lake here in The Woodlands their home for over a decade now and I just read an article about them that they are past the age to produce off spring (happens to the best of us I guess :-)) They have had twenty two babies over the years so maybe some of the kids will move back home?

I hope you get the chance to capture images of your neighboring eagles. They make such great subjects and the SX50's long lens can provide a lot of opportunity. I'll be looking forward to the results if you do.

Thanks again,

Ed

 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,727Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to Stephen Barrett, 9 months ago

Stephen Barrett wrote:

Simply amazing detail and colour, Ed.

Thanks Stephen. The opportunities that afternoon were also simply amazing as well. This thing we do can really be a lot of fun.

Ed

 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,727Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to BarnET, 9 months ago

BarnET wrote:

Stephen Barrett wrote:

Simply amazing detail and colour, Ed.

bit of over reaction.

Just ok detail and so so colour.

Still the OP got the most out of his kit.

Diffraction just limits the ammount of detail here. nothing he could do about it.

Thanks for appreciating the effort.

Ed

 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
evancj
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to BarnET, 9 months ago

BarnET wrote:

Stephen Barrett wrote:

Simply amazing detail and colour, Ed.

bit of over reaction.

Just ok detail and so so colour.

Still the OP got the most out of his kit.

Diffraction just limits the ammount of detail here. nothing he could do about it.

So I went to your gallery to see some examples of prefect photography and was shocked to find you have posted nothing.

It always amazes me when those whom are most critical of others work, never provide example of theirs. Just like so many other drive by critics we have seen before you...you can talk the talk, but cant walk the walk.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,784Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to evancj, 9 months ago

I have posted several pictures in forums. Just none in the gallery since i use flickr for that.

But here is something like what was posted here

k30 with $40 135mm takumar F2.5. Not the sharpest lens but the best pic i have of a snake

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,962Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to evancj, 9 months ago

evancj wrote:

BarnET wrote:

Stephen Barrett wrote:

Simply amazing detail and colour, Ed.

bit of over reaction.

Just ok detail and so so colour.

Still the OP got the most out of his kit.

Diffraction just limits the ammount of detail here. nothing he could do about it.

So I went to your gallery to see some examples of prefect photography and was shocked to find you have posted nothing.

It always amazes me when those whom are most critical of others work, never provide example of theirs. Just like so many other drive by critics we have seen before you...you can talk the talk, but cant walk the walk.

That's all the time, Evan ! There are here many people with real photographic talent, that are always ready to explain and to show their outstanding work (you and Ed included) and some "perfectionists" that criticize everything, but can't show us a single usable shot

Amazing, isn't it?

Happy shooting,

Augustin

 Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,784Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to Augustin Man, 9 months ago

funny claiming that after i posted a picture right in this post.......

I did not criticize the photographer here. Only pointed to the limitations of an bridge camera at the long zoom end.

I was quiet impressed by the bird shots in this post

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52981965

Which is also an bridge. Only the stylus 1 kinda bypasses the limitations of diffraction by a faster lens with bigger sensor. Of course at the cost of the reach.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,727Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to BarnET, 9 months ago

BarnET wrote:

funny claiming that after i posted a picture right in this post.......

I did not criticize the photographer here. Only pointed to the limitations of an bridge camera at the long zoom end.

I appreciate what you are saying but also appreciate the support of my friends Augustin and Evan. This being a P&S forum, we are many times more interested in the results that can be attained despite the limitations of our equipment, which we are well aware of and deal with. And Augustin probably posted his reply before seeing your image post.

What I would like to point out here though is that diffraction probably had very little to do with the loss of IQ in the images. Yes I am a gearhead, have studied the lens/sensor combination of this camera, and have written the only full operating review of this camera on this site. I read many people here talking about diffraction because that's what they've heard, but don't really know how to determine its effects vs other factors. I don't know your knowledge, so let me know your level of expertise in making your statements. You may have a point that I'm not seeing in the original SOOC images.

As to what's causing the lack of IQ? Mostly the shutter speeds at the high magnification. All are slow and being aided mostly by the OIS of a hand supported camera on a live mount (see my reply to Murry on how the images were taken). 400% pixel peeping of the originals show the owl image to have up to 4 pixels of directional loss of acuity. The eagle and rattler have less so, but still directional, not dispersive loss of acuity. The rattler actually shows the most signs of dispersive loss vs directional, but it looks more like inprecise focus than diffraction.

If you see something different and can explain it, please let me know. I continually seek to gain additional knowledge.

Ed

 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hollander
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to VisionLight, 9 months ago

Amazing close up shots Ed. The eagle shot make me a bit jealous  I've been going out the last 2 weeks looking for a close up shot of the eagles around here. There are plenty of them around, but they are all high up in the trees. Good for you though Ed. Nice owl shot too.

Now what really puzzle me is the fact that you encounter a rattle snake in this cold weather with all the snow still all on the ground. Aren't they still hibernating at this time of the year??

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

 Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,784Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to VisionLight, 9 months ago

VisionLight wrote:

BarnET wrote:

funny claiming that after i posted a picture right in this post.......

I did not criticize the photographer here. Only pointed to the limitations of an bridge camera at the long zoom end.

I appreciate what you are saying but also appreciate the support of my friends Augustin and Evan. This being a P&S forum, we are many times more interested in the results that can be attained despite the limitations of our equipment, which we are well aware of and deal with. And Augustin probably posted his reply before seeing your image post.

What I would like to point out here though is that diffraction probably had very little to do with the loss of IQ in the images. Yes I am a gearhead, have studied the lens/sensor combination of this camera, and have written the only full operating review of this camera on this site. I read many people here talking about diffraction because that's what they've heard, but don't really know how to determine its effects vs other factors. I don't know your knowledge, so let me know your level of expertise in making your statements. You may have a point that I'm not seeing in the original SOOC images.

As to what's causing the lack of IQ? Mostly the shutter speeds at the high magnification. All are slow and being aided mostly by the OIS of a hand supported camera on a live mount (see my reply to Murry on how the images were taken). 400% pixel peeping of the originals show the owl image to have up to 4 pixels of directional loss of acuity. The eagle and rattler have less so, but still directional, not dispersive loss of acuity. The rattler actually shows the most signs of dispersive loss vs directional, but it looks more like inprecise focus than diffraction.

If you see something different and can explain it, please let me know. I continually seek to gain additional knowledge.

You were shooting at a mono pod with these shutter speeds at 1200mm. Well that leaves me impressed by your skill. I don't think it's imprecise focus since you actually have some depth of field to work with because of the sensor size and F6.5.

Motion blur becouse of even very slight camera shake at these focal ranges is very plausible and probably indeed the case. I do believe these are good results considering the limitations of your gear and the poor lighting of the scene.

Ed

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coody
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038
Like?
Good. Wish you could post original to see the difference after post processing.
In reply to VisionLight, 9 months ago
No text.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hollander
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to Hollander, 9 months ago

Hollander wrote:

Amazing close up shots Ed. The eagle shot make me a bit jealous I've been going out the last 2 weeks looking for a close up shot of the eagles around here. There are plenty of them around, but they are all high up in the trees. Good for you though Ed. Nice owl shot too.

Now what really puzzle me is the fact that you encounter a rattle snake in this cold weather with all the snow still all on the ground. Aren't they still hibernating at this time of the year??

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

I thought the pictures looked familiar to me Ed. So I looked at the date it was taken. Sure enough this was in Oct. So I answered my own question re; the rattle snake 

Nice to look at the pictures again.

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

 Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,727Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .
In reply to Hollander, 9 months ago

Hollander wrote:

Amazing close up shots Ed. The eagle shot make me a bit jealous I've been going out the last 2 weeks looking for a close up shot of the eagles around here. There are plenty of them around, but they are all high up in the trees. Good for you though Ed. Nice owl shot too.

Thanks for your thoughts Rob. I'm kind of lucky with eagles sometimes (Evan calls me the "raptor whisperer" ), but sometimes they just keep me waiting out in the cold snow. Luckily this one was taken early in the season and it was "just there" as we turned the bend. Like I said, lucky.

Now what really puzzle me is the fact that you encounter a rattle snake in this cold weather with all the snow still all on the ground. Aren't they still hibernating at this time of the year??

This months old post was resurrected this morning by RhiteOn, so the rattler was out and about when it was still reasonably warm. Although in late November (crazy weather) there were still rattler warnings posted along the trails (especially due to the danger of not seeing them in the fallen leaves). It's quite safe right now in the cold. But I do like living in an area where rattlers and bears and coywolfs and eagles, etc. are all within range of our trusty SX50s.

Ed

 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads