XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots

Started Oct 9, 2013 | Discussions
grasmuc
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
Oct 9, 2013

I found a Fuji XF 23f1.4 at a local Guangzhou foto dealer. Of course bought it:--)

The lens i bigger than (I) expected, looks very cool on the X-E1. Actually the size should not be a surprise, a 135 format 35f1.4 lens also is always much bigger than a 50f1.4.

The 23 has the same manual focus lens barrel shift mechanism like the 14. IMO both the lens barrel and the MCS switch allow quick convenient toggeling between M and AF w/ keeping the eye at the viewfinder, so no preference from my side.

I just took very few street life pics and one series of sharpness/contrast test pics from my balcony that I want to share.The two pics enclosed are at f2.

AF speed similar to the 35, but need more time for examination.

The lens hood is huge. Hmm, maybe I won't use it for street photography.

Findings from test pics (raw. acr conversion. automatic ca removal. no vignetting correction. no distortion correction. sharpness usm 80/0.5):

- sharpness good at f1.4 in center and at corner. corner sharpness at open aperture is really impressive (I should do the same test with the 14 and 35 for comparison ...)

- sharpness improves significantly at f2, at f2.8-f4, the pics are essentially perfectly sharp across the whole frame

- contrast rather low at f1.4, improves at f2, very good form f2.8

- barely any vignetting at f1.4

- barely any geometrical distortion (please excuse my incapability to level the camera horizontally on the small ball head tripod)

Can't wait for the XF 56f1.2 to complete my favorite prime lens set up (21/35/50/85 in 135).

Enjoy, Chris

X-E1 + XF 23f1.4

X-E1 + XF 23f1.4

X-E1 + XF 14, 21, 35

X-E1 + XF 23f1.4 @f2

X-E1 + XF 23f1.4 @f2

X-E1 + XF 23f1.4 + lens hood

XF 23f1.4 test

test scene

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,117Gear list
Like?
Re: XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
In reply to grasmuc, Oct 9, 2013

From this it seems to me this 23mm 1.4 does very well at F 2.8 - f 4.0 which is typical with many lenses so far as being stopped down a couple stops to get to optimum sharpness.

IMO and of course I am making a judgement call, but the 23mm 1.4 is a waste of $900 IF you have the 18-55 f 2.8 - f 4.0.

With that 18-55 lens you should be pretty close to the same f 2.8 at the same 23 mm focal length if not it is a minor adjustment to shutter speed, ISO or exposure compensation.

The difference with the impending 56 mm 1.2 I think would make more of a difference compared to the zoom counterpart at the 55 mm f 4.0 or even the 60 mm 2.4 focal length.

I am sure this 23 mm is a great lens and unless you are a all prime lens shooter I think the more bang for the buck is the 18-55 zoom lens and is over lap to own both. I would pull the 18-55 first vs the 23 mm prime.

If the 18-55 was a f 4.0 - f 5.6 that would be completely different and the 23 mm prime makes more sense with the greater difference in light gathering ability.

It will be a rare occasion you need f 1.4, but it seems like (right now) it is over lap to the Fuji 18-55 zoom.

 ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,626
Like?
Re: XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
In reply to grasmuc, Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for sharing. Looks like the lens is in the same league as 14 and 35.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nikoj
Contributing MemberPosts: 783Gear list
Like?
Re: XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
In reply to vkphoto, Oct 9, 2013

Hopefully more in the league with 14 than 35. I find the 14 to be exceptional while the 35 very good.

 nikoj's gear list:nikoj's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,731Gear list
Like?
Re: XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
In reply to grasmuc, Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for your thoughts.  I find surprising that the contrast is low wide open on 23 as the smaller and cheaper 35/1.4 is actually very contrasty wide open in my opinion.   The photos you posted look flat and unremarkable but I assume you just wanted to post a few quick snap shots from the first day.

I'll personally pass on this lens but I am very interested in 56/1.2 and can't wait for Fuji to release it.

 Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Davidgilmour
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?
Re: XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
In reply to nikoj, Oct 9, 2013

nikoj wrote:

Hopefully more in the league with 14 than 35. I find the 14 to be exceptional while the 35 very good.

I think the 35 is an exceptional lens, amazingly sharp and great bokeh. And not expensive unlike...

 Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm X-A1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,622Gear list
Like?
Re: XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
In reply to Davidgilmour, Oct 9, 2013

Davidgilmour wrote:

nikoj wrote:

Hopefully more in the league with 14 than 35. I find the 14 to be exceptional while the 35 very good.

I think the 35 is an exceptional lens, amazingly sharp and great bokeh. And not expensive unlike...

My 7D-owning colleague was moaning earlier this week "That 35 is a thousand-quid lens at less than half price!". Purely for that lens, he continues to search for an X-Pro1 on the cheap, good luck with that son.

Someone wrote a little while ago that they thought the 14, 23 and upcoming 56 are the "diamond-standard" X lenses from Fuji. Looks like it could be the case.

 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
In reply to Absolutic, Oct 9, 2013

Absolutic wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts. I find surprising that the contrast is low wide open on 23 as the smaller and cheaper 35/1.4 is actually very contrasty wide open in my opinion. The photos you posted look flat and unremarkable but I assume you just wanted to post a few quick snap shots from the first day.

I'll personally pass on this lens but I am very interested in 56/1.2 and can't wait for Fuji to release it.

I agree that these samples do look a little flat but I would guess this is down to the light, the majority of samples I've seen from this lens @ f1.4 looking very good, the X-Trans sensor can often make images seem flat in flat lighting much like any camera.

It does look like a chunky lens though so at lest your getting your money's worth

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tandua
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
In reply to LWS2013, Oct 9, 2013

A must have lens.

I switched from x100s to x-pro1 for this awesome lens

-- hide signature --

5D Mark II
EF 70-200 F4 IS L
TS-E 24 3.5 II L
X-Pro1 35 1.4

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
grasmuc
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
Re: XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
In reply to Tandua, Oct 9, 2013

I know guys, the pics are soso ... one indoors with fluorescent light and one against the sun with lifted shadows ... not the best choice to show 3d pop

But I definitely would't blame the lens!

C.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,521Gear list
Like?
Re: XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
In reply to grasmuc, Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for posting the picture of the lens on the camera with the 14mm lens beside it. Looks like they are the same size.

I love the first shot.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrFlash
Contributing MemberPosts: 618Gear list
Like?
Re: XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
In reply to ryan2007, Oct 9, 2013

ryan2007 wrote:

From this it seems to me this 23mm 1.4 does very well at F 2.8 - f 4.0 which is typical with many lenses so far as being stopped down a couple stops to get to optimum sharpness.

IMO and of course I am making a judgement call, but the 23mm 1.4 is a waste of $900 IF you have the 18-55 f 2.8 - f 4.0.

With that 18-55 lens you should be pretty close to the same f 2.8 at the same 23 mm focal length if not it is a minor adjustment to shutter speed, ISO or exposure compensation.

The difference with the impending 56 mm 1.2 I think would make more of a difference compared to the zoom counterpart at the 55 mm f 4.0 or even the 60 mm 2.4 focal length.

I am sure this 23 mm is a great lens and unless you are a all prime lens shooter I think the more bang for the buck is the 18-55 zoom lens and is over lap to own both. I would pull the 18-55 first vs the 23 mm prime.

If the 18-55 was a f 4.0 - f 5.6 that would be completely different and the 23 mm prime makes more sense with the greater difference in light gathering ability.

It will be a rare occasion you need f 1.4, but it seems like (right now) it is over lap to the Fuji 18-55 zoom.

Please stop tying to compare a zoom lens to a fast prime. They are completely different animals. I own the 18-55. It's a good lens for a zoom and I do use it occasionally, but when my 23 gets here I will consider the 18-55 to be completely redundant in my system and it will hit the 'bay.

-- hide signature --

MrFlash

 MrFlash's gear list:MrFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 538Gear list
Like?
Re: XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
In reply to grasmuc, Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for the info.  Fuji is on the right track!

 Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
Re: XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
In reply to Alohaman, Oct 9, 2013

How are you getting on with the LensMate XP1 thumb rest on the X-E1?  I notice it has a set screw, whereas my X-E1 LensMate rest does not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads