Nearly Opposite Reactions to the Latest News - Nikon vs Pentax

Started Oct 8, 2013 | Discussions
DarylK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,620Gear list
Like?
Nearly Opposite Reactions to the Latest News - Nikon vs Pentax
Oct 8, 2013

I just spent a fair amount of time reviewing (you could call it snooping ) many of the comments posted here at DPR's News page related to the Nikon D610 (looks like a great camera to me) and the Pentax K-3 press releases and "First Impressions".

There is an amazing/surprising amount of negativity, even anger, over on the Nikon side - and by what appear to be mainly Nikon users.  I didn't realize that the D600 was such a disaster (at least based on the reactions of those posting there).  An example of what can happen if quality and/or customer service are found lacking.

In contrast, the Pentax comments are for the most part very positive.  Of course there are a number of "bashers" coming in from who knows where who are afraid that Pentax may have a winner that will out-compete their favorite brand.  In general, the comments by what would seem to be a good mix of Pentax users, former Pentax users, prospective Pentax users and many others, appear to be mostly upbeat.  I guess the old QC and SDM failure issues that used to have a lot of Pentaxians riled up are on a low simmer...let's hope that the new releases don't disappoint in terms of QC/reliability and support - time will tell.

Anyway, it is interesting to compare and contrast the two sets of responses.

Regards,

Daryl

-- hide signature --

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Great photography is largely a matter of perspective, both visually and mentally - Daryl Kottwitz (but probably said before )
My gallery: http://darylkottwitzphoto.smugmug.com
My shots on PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/darylkottwitz

DarylK's gear list:DarylK's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +6 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,768Gear list
Like?
Re: Nearly Opposite Reactions to the Latest News - Nikon vs Pentax
In reply to DarylK, Oct 9, 2013

I also read those on the Nikon forum also but on the Canon 7D forum it's more bashing, Nikon forum seems more civilized towards the Pentax K3 !

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
halai
Contributing MemberPosts: 702
Like?

It's all true... Nikon D600 is a diaster on the day it released.  I bought 3 and returned all of them due to dust and oil issues.  Focusing wise, it's not as good as the D700 which I still have.  I love this camera.  Focus is dead on, and tracking moving subjects such as my kids is phenomenon.  If AF-C on the Pentax K-3 is any where near the D700 and D300s, I will sell all my Nikon gear and go with Pentax since I really like the small form factor.  I still have the K-5 and use it occasionally but when taking pictures of my kids, I prefer my D700.

Halai

drummercam
Contributing MemberPosts: 566Gear list
Like?
You gotta love the news headlines . . .

K-3 - Shaking up the market?

D610 - Slight Improvement?

and it's been interesting to note reviewers from many corners saying things like "Pentax is punching above its weight class" and "The tradition of Pentax innovation continues"  etc.

Can't wait until DigitalRev TV takes a shot at the K-3.   I do hope they let Lok do it.   He likes Pentax.

Pentax - The Little Camera Maker That Could

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
waxwaine
Contributing MemberPosts: 964Gear list
Like?
Re: You gotta love the news headlines . . .
In reply to drummercam, Oct 9, 2013

Lok said on an old episode that he don't like Pentax cos "they do everything wrong" , he like Olympus

solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,912Gear list
Like?
In reply to waxwaine, Oct 9, 2013

The guy is so way over the top trying to be funny, it's difficult to know what's what sometime. It does tend to get annoying.

I prefer others - Some DPR, Imaging Resource generally is excellent, Bunty .- Steve Huff is interesting though it's difficult to know what he really thinks as like most, is pushing on the selling. Still need to take with a grain of salt.

Several of the staff at IR use Pentax cameras.

waxwaine wrote:

Lok said on an old episode that he don't like Pentax cos "they do everything wrong" , he like Olympus

-- hide signature --

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Winder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,337Gear list
Like?

Pentax has done a very good job with the K-3.  I am looking forward to the reviews and tests.

I just wish Pentax had released a new higher end lens to go with its flagship body.  Even if it was a DA* 55mm F/1.4 with new HD coatings and a faster SDM-II lens motor.  Or they could have released new FA LTD glass with the HD coating like they did with the DA LTD line.

-- hide signature --

Contax 645, Canon 5D (sold), Olympus E-3 (sold), Playing with a K-7 and K-5

Winder's gear list:Winder's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111Gear list
Like?
I sympathise with...

...the people who say the D610 should have AF at least as good as the D7100. They probably went out getting a D600 thinking they'd be playing in the king class (you know, with all the full frame hype), and found they were bettered by the flagship APS-C from the same company.

And now Pentax poops them this all-around APS-C wunderkind while their beloved is addressing problems that Pentax fixed two years ago.

It would be hard not to then look at yourself and wonder where exactly you had taken the wrong turn.

-- hide signature --

Picturesque locations and other people's art are easy.

JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,975
Like?
In reply to waxwaine, Oct 9, 2013

waxwaine wrote:

If you follow them enough, you may discover that these guys change opinions abvout camera's more often than they do underwear.

-- hide signature --

This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,590Gear list
Like?
Re: No time for hubris.....

Hi,

It appears that Pentax has a very well featured and innovative new camera in its line up, but let's not get too over the top.  Very few people have had the chance to review any images yet, let alone handle the camera.

Every brand has its winners and every brand has had models with difficulties.  Pentax has been no different.  And as sure as eggs, it will have difficult moments again.  Lady luck sorts herself out.  Better to avoid hubris lest one has to eat humble pie another day.

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
stillman3
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
In reply to JohnBee, Oct 9, 2013

As I am a curious soul, I must ask, "how do you know about their underwear habits?" 

Not that I don't believe you though.

Cheers Eric

lol101
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,291Gear list
Like?
Easy to understand

Nikon's D610 is seen as a "quick fix" for the D600 oil splattering problems and leaves a bitter taste to all the people that are now stuck with a "dirty" D600 (an excellent camera otherwise) and no other choice than to dump it and pay full price for the "upgrade".

On the other hand the K3 doesn'f "fiix" anything on the K5 which is recognized as an excellent cam, it just adds truckloads of interesting features (on paper at least) that may prompt people to upgrade.

It's understandable that people's reaction to these very different situations are more or less opposed.

lol101's gear list:lol101's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 1000D Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 6D +13 more
RunStrom
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?

DarylK wrote:

I just spent a fair amount of time reviewing (you could call it snooping ) many of the comments posted here at DPR's News page related to the Nikon D610 (looks like a great camera to me) and the Pentax K-3 press releases and "First Impressions".

There is an amazing/surprising amount of negativity, even anger, over on the Nikon side - and by what appear to be mainly Nikon users. I didn't realize that the D600 was such a disaster (at least based on the reactions of those posting there). An example of what can happen if quality and/or customer service are found lacking.

If you had trouble with your D600 then I can understand a bit of bashing, but the D610 looks very good still. The K-3 Pentax looks a winner and I hope it rates a high DXO score when its sensor is rated. With the small format camera advances (Sony Rx100), every major manufacturer of APC sized sensors needs to keep up with the main stream and Pentax with Ricoh seem to have a good future out in front.

RunStrom's gear list:RunStrom's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon D3100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +6 more
drummercam
Contributing MemberPosts: 566Gear list
Like?
In reply to stillman3, Oct 9, 2013

I watch DiRevTV because they're funny, not to make any purchasing decision.   Their quirks are entertaining.   Blunty's enthusiasm is also entertaining, .

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
maxola67
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?

I wrote that earlier Nikon has huge resources devoted to marketing.

maxola67's gear list:maxola67's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,911Gear list
Like?
Re: Easy to understand
In reply to lol101, Oct 9, 2013

lol101 wrote:

Nikon's D610 is seen as a "quick fix" for the D600 oil splattering problems and leaves a bitter taste to all the people that are now stuck with a "dirty" D600 (an excellent camera otherwise) and no other choice than to dump it and pay full price for the "upgrade".

On the other hand the K3 doesn'f "fiix" anything on the K5 which is recognized as an excellent cam, it just adds truckloads of interesting features (on paper at least) that may prompt people to upgrade.

It's understandable that people's reaction to these very different situations are more or less opposed.

In the same context, the relatively marginal differences along the K5 series dampened expectations for significant improvement. The apparent progress indicated in the K-3 offering is enough to even soften the endless FF drumbeat.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
waxwaine
Contributing MemberPosts: 964Gear list
Like?

Despite angry reactions to D610, I have no doubt people will run to get one, specially low budgets studio photographers.

Meanwhile, Pentax have to wait a while for new ship-jumpers, because it´s not easy to get confidence from new customers, specially most demanding ones.

Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?
In reply to Winder, Oct 9, 2013

Winder wrote:

Pentax has done a very good job with the K-3. I am looking forward to the reviews and tests.

I just wish Pentax had released a new higher end lens to go with its flagship body. Even if it was a DA* 55mm F/1.4 with new HD coatings and a faster SDM-II lens motor. Or they could have released new FA LTD glass with the HD coating like they did with the DA LTD line.

A 35/1.4 or faster lens would be nice. It's quite inexplicable that they haven't released a fast standard lens for their APS-C cameras. It's only been 10 years now....

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

Winder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,337Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wheatfield, Oct 9, 2013

Wheatfield wrote:

Winder wrote:

Pentax has done a very good job with the K-3. I am looking forward to the reviews and tests.

I just wish Pentax had released a new higher end lens to go with its flagship body. Even if it was a DA* 55mm F/1.4 with new HD coatings and a faster SDM-II lens motor. Or they could have released new FA LTD glass with the HD coating like they did with the DA LTD line.

A 35/1.4 or faster lens would be nice. It's quite inexplicable that they haven't released a fast standard lens for their APS-C cameras. It's only been 10 years now....

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

Yes.  I hope they are watching Fuji and taking notes.  The new 14mm F/2.8 and 23mm F/1.4 are fantastic lenses that are really needed in the Pentax line-up.  The current DA 14mm is not a very impressive lens and the DA 21mm while decent for the price, doesn't fill the need.

I hope Pentax has big plans.

-- hide signature --

Contax 645, Canon 5D (sold), Olympus E-3 (sold), Playing with a K-7 and K-5

Winder's gear list:Winder's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
rwl408
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183
Like?
Re: Nikon brought that to itself

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52292213

D600 will stick as a Nikon camera with a dirty sensor forever. Nikon should have done it the way Pentax handled the initial K5 sensor stain issue - bowed to your users and corrected your mistak. But Nikon thought it was too big and noise would go away, giving time. Big mistake! Read this summary of headlines and you would sense the magnitude of backlash from Nikon's action, or no-action.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/the-early-nikon-d610-headli.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads