updated lens roadmap...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
JustDavid
Regular MemberPosts: 455Gear list
Like?
updated lens roadmap...
6 months ago

added 55-300 WR, but can't see any other changes...

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

JustDavid's gear list:JustDavid's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +6 more
Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,010Gear list
Like?
Re: updated lens roadmap...
In reply to JustDavid, 6 months ago

Getting to be a colorful thing.  I like it.

thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 29,625
Like?

Based on a little inside information it looks like 2014 will be a banner year for Pentax... err... Ricoh

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

TomWret
Senior MemberPosts: 1,391Gear list
Like?

JustDavid wrote:

added 55-300 WR, but can't see any other changes...

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

I see 6 HD lens' includes a HD 560mm f5.6 AW. Also Ricoh is printed in the upper left hand corner:-D

Tom W(ret)

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault.

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +4 more
Gary Martin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,918Gear list
Like?

Now, if only they would put that DA*30 back on there ...

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +3 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 1,906Gear list
Like?
I like the deep purple of FA Ltds

I think that purple ring on updated FA Ltds would be quite cute.

That update would make "some smoke on Pentax waters", and raised fire in the sky 

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,759Gear list
Like?

I wonder what Pentax has planned for the Tele-zoom.  From the map it looks like it could cover most of 100-400mm.  I presume this would be f4-5.6 and compete against similar offerings from Canon, Nikon and Sony.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,898Gear list
Like?
Re: On the Ltd zoom and the long zoom....

Hi,

The Ltd zoom has disappeared. (Perhaps it did that earlier than this road map? I'm not sure.) In any case, I couldn't see them making something to compete with the likes of the Sigma Art 18-35/1.8.

The long zoom looks like a 135 - 370-ish design on the road map. I would prefer to see them make a high grade zoom out to the full 400/5.6.  I'd like it to be a DA*250 - 400/4-5.6 to start from the end of the DA*60-250, (rather than the 135mm start) and priced accordingly. The shorter the zoom range the better they typically are, and I'd argue for WR construction because teles are usually used outdoors (whether it's for sport or wildlife).  Now that the HD 55-300 is out in WR construction, it would look rather pointless and sub standard to have the longer lens out in non-WR construction.

My $0.02c worth.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Barry Pearson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,575Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 6 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

Hi,

The Ltd zoom has disappeared. (Perhaps it did that earlier than this road map? I'm not sure.) In any case, I couldn't see them making something to compete with the likes of the Sigma Art 18-35/1.8.

The "DA Zoom Limited" is still on the latest roadmap, with the same (vague) focal length range.

In fact, the entire "2013 or later" section is the same as it was on the January 2012 roadmap, except that what was previously a "DA* Zoom" is now a "DA Zoom". (That changed in the August 2013 roadmap).

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +21 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,898Gear list
Like?
In reply to Barry Pearson, 6 months ago

Hi Barry,

Thanks.  You're dead right - don't know how I missed that.  That having been said, I still can't see why they'd produce another 18-35-ish zoom lens and compete with the Sigma Art 18-35/1.8.  The Limiteds have all been primes so far, and small and high grade is the general sense in which they're seen by Pentax owners.  I'm not sure that a Limited zoom makes a lot of sense.  And would it be APSC or FF when they're considering the development of an FF camera?

It would seem better to me (a mere enthusiast not running a camera manufacturing company) that it would be better to turn priorities toward lenses we really need :  the TC, the WA zoom, a good DA* (not DA) zoom out to 400mm, and a suite of FF lenses if they are indeed heading in that direction.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Barry Pearson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,575Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 6 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

Hi Barry,

Thanks. You're dead right - don't know how I missed that. That having been said, I still can't see why they'd produce another 18-35-ish zoom lens and compete with the Sigma Art 18-35/1.8. The Limiteds have all been primes so far, and small and high grade is the general sense in which they're seen by Pentax owners. I'm not sure that a Limited zoom makes a lot of sense. And would it be APSC or FF when they're considering the development of an FF camera?

That has been puzzling me for a long time. Unless there is something very special about that "DA Zoom Limited", it doesn't appear to have a clear purpose. Sigma came out with something very special, and credit to them.

It would seem better to me (a mere enthusiast not running a camera manufacturing company) that it would be better to turn priorities toward lenses we really need : the TC, the WA zoom, a good DA* (not DA) zoom out to 400mm, and a suite of FF lenses if they are indeed heading in that direction.

I'll buy that! (Both the principle, and also some of the items, especially the TC).

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +21 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,324Gear list
Like?
HD, WR....

Looks like many lens are getting HD treatment, and some are getting WR.

I wonder if compared to SMC, HD coating is both better and cheaper to produce!?

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
kitsios_spyros
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?
Re: HD, WR....
In reply to miles green, 6 months ago

miles green wrote:

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

HD sounds consumer friendly nomenclature so it may not be the best of their coatings. But here is a test that shows how a coating can influence a lens

http://www.lenstip.com/239.1-Lens_review-Samyang_14_mm_f_2.8_ED_AS_IF_UMC.html

it there wasn't Sigma 8-16, I might have fallen for this lens on Pentax mount..

Kind Regards,

Spyros

Plakanina
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary Martin, 6 months ago

Gary Martin wrote:

Now, if only they would put that DA*30 back on there ...

Yes. That is THE lens that should be above all others. A standard lens is missing!!! similar to the FA43mm (in 35mm terms)

Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
miles green
Like?
In reply to kitsios_spyros, 6 months ago

kitsios_spyros wrote:

miles green wrote:

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

HD sounds consumer friendly nomenclature so it may not be the best of their coatings.

Yes they do have a better one, they use on a few DA* and 645 lens. I forget the name. I wish the 560 HD were a little more consumer friendly!

But here is a test that shows how a coating can influence a lens

http://www.lenstip.com/239.1-Lens_review-Samyang_14_mm_f_2.8_ED_AS_IF_UMC.html

it there wasn't Sigma 8-16, I might have fallen for this lens on Pentax mount..

Yes the Sigma 8-16 is a nice lens!

Kind Regards,

Spyros

Regards!

Miles

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
miles green
Like?
Tele zoom?

Any news on the tele-zoom?

The Canon 100-400 is a nice lens despite its age. To place the K3 amongst the wildlife contenders (as Thom suggests) Pentax ABSOLUTELY needs a weather sealed DA* 100-400-ish lens (or that TC, but we said that already).

The 560 sure is nice but due to budget is simply isn't an option for most of us.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Peter Budd
Contributing MemberPosts: 806Gear list
Like?
In reply to SHood, 6 months ago

SHood wrote:

I wonder what Pentax has planned for the Tele-zoom.  From the map it looks like it could cover most of 100-400mm.  I presume this would be f4-5.6 and compete against similar offerings from Canon, Nikon and Sony.

-- hide signature --

I think you are right on this , but personally I would prefer a constant F4 and WR.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

Peter Budd's gear list:Peter Budd's gear list
Nikon D700 Pentax K-3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
Peter Budd
Contributing MemberPosts: 806Gear list
Like?
In reply to miles green, 6 months ago

According to the guys as SRS I spoke to a few hours ago the HD coating is more expensive to do  and also increases light through in low light situations.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

Peter Budd's gear list:Peter Budd's gear list
Nikon D700 Pentax K-3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 29,625
Like?
In reply to Peter Budd, 6 months ago

Peter Budd wrote:

SHood wrote:

I wonder what Pentax has planned for the Tele-zoom. From the map it looks like it could cover most of 100-400mm. I presume this would be f4-5.6 and compete against similar offerings from Canon, Nikon and Sony.

-- hide signature --

I think you are right on this , but personally I would prefer a constant F4 and WR.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

Are you ready to pay $10,000 for it? Really? Constant F4? yes I'd like that too but let some reality sink in before you drool!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

miles green
Like?
In reply to Peter Budd, 6 months ago

Peter Budd wrote:

According to the guys as SRS I spoke to a few hours ago the HD coating is more expensive to do and also increases light through in low light situations.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

OK, I take their word for it! Thanks for the info.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads