EM-1 versus the Canon 5D Mark III

Started Oct 8, 2013 | Discussions
johnvr1
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
EM-1 versus the Canon 5D Mark III
Oct 8, 2013

A while back I asked myself the question if I could get rid of my Canon 5D Mark III once I got the Olympus OM-D EM1. I've now had the Olympus for about 10 days and I'm answering my own question on my blog: www.photographicwanderings.com.

Comments welcome, esp. on my blog. It needs some love.

-- hide signature --

www.photographicwanderings.com

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sdribetahi
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?
Re: EM-1 versus the Canon 5D Mark III
In reply to johnvr1, Oct 8, 2013

Good little write up. The thing that keeps me away from m4/3 is every time I see a write up, the author always has the caveat that, "this (fill in the blank) shortcoming doesn't bother me due to what I shoot". Unfortunately, the author never seems to shoot what I shoot. I shoot moving objects, close, in low light often, and I do like shallow dof. All of these are never what anyone that owns an m4/3 and has a blog ever shoots. You get street, landscapes and sleeping turtles in perfect light.

I really like the size, weight and feature set though and wish there wasn't always a limiting caveat. It looks like a great camera, just wish it was a great camera for me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,666Gear list
Like?
After all these years

I've come to look at it this way. As a former wedding photographer/portrait photographer, you need to first determine WHAT you are planning to do with a given file. Are you going to need to crop heavily? Are you going to do a huge print?, Is having the ultimate flash control important in that work? What about workflow? Is file management an issue (size). I had more pro and semi pro DSLR bodies from both Canon and Nikon than I'd care to remember. I FINALLY abandoned them all for the Olympus system when the OMD-EM5 came out. I no longer needed huge files, ultra large prints beyond 22x17 which I do at home, prefer the nice manageable file sizes, find the resolution in print or on screen is more than enough to make it happen. I'm not noting any loss in resolution in the sizes of prints I'm working with. When out and about and especially travel I do NOT miss the DSLR bodies one bit. Operational speeds are just fine as well. So indeed you have to decide not so much on what the compromises are(as there are few in my opinion) but unless you're a sports photographer or fine art photographer in low light the OMD series should more than meet your needs. NO camera does it all, but thankfully the OMD's do most of it quite nicely. indeed.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,676Gear list
Like?

Great article.

I personally have been wrestling with the idea of what I want to do....I absolutely love my m4/3 gear, but I also shoot sports...baseball in particular...a great deal, and I'm not so sure the new hybrid focus on the EM-1 is quite "there" yet that it could replace my D7100 as a primary body.

Having one, what are your thoughts?

jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Nikon D4s Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +8 more
Bobbert
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
In reply to sdribetahi, Oct 8, 2013

sdribetahi wrote:

Good little write up. The thing that keeps me away from m4/3 is every time I see a write up, the author always has the caveat that, "this (fill in the blank) shortcoming doesn't bother me due to what I shoot". Unfortunately, the author never seems to shoot what I shoot. I shoot moving objects, close, in low light often, and I do like shallow dof. All of these are never what anyone that owns an m4/3 and has a blog ever shoots. You get street, landscapes and sleeping turtles in perfect light.

I really like the size, weight and feature set though and wish there wasn't always a limiting caveat. It looks like a great camera, just wish it was a great camera for me.

I normally post in the Oly SLR forum, but I'm seriously considering the EM-1 and been looking here as well.

I don't think anyone expects a 4/3 or other smaller sensor cameras to compete with full frame. The caveat with the Canon is size and weight. I prefer a lighter kit that I actually take with me over a 5 kg rig that needs a backpack and stays home to prevent my neck and shoulder aching.

Life is a compromise and better is the enemy of good enough... The fact that the EM-1 and FF can be mentioned in the same post is a tribute I think to how far advanced the EM-1 is.

-- hide signature --

Bob B
www.pbase.com/bbernstein
Olympus e30, e-510, 12~60, 50~200 ED, EC14, 18~180, 14~42, 40~150, 50mm macro, 9~18, fl36

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to jimoyer, Oct 8, 2013

Good post and a fair-minded conclusion.

SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,666Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, Oct 8, 2013

The last system I gave up was a Nikon D7000, 24-70 f2.8, 70-300VR, 14-24 f2.8 and 50mm f1.4. The last vacation I took I was tons lighter and had a LOT more fun shooting, having come away with a superb result. So no....I have NOT missed the bulk nor missed performance.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,528
Like?

sdribetahi wrote:

I shoot moving objects, close, in low light often, and I do like shallow dof.

You shoot mice with nice bokeh in the dark?  Wow, well it's nice to know for everything else a m43 can get you as good or better results given your level of photo skills.

Landscapephoto99
Like?
In reply to jimoyer, Oct 8, 2013

jimoyer wrote:

Great article.

I personally have been wrestling with the idea of what I want to do....I absolutely love my m4/3 gear, but I also shoot sports...baseball in particular...a great deal, and I'm not so sure the new hybrid focus on the EM-1 is quite "there" yet that it could replace my D7100 as a primary body.

Having one, what are your thoughts?

Good question.  With a good telephoto zoom like the upcoming 40-150 f2.8, it could do almost as well on the AF, but whether it will be good enough is up to better sports photographers than me.  My goal for fast AF is BIF, birds in flight and butterflies in flight.

n3eg
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?

My two must-buy cameras if I ever win the lottery.  The E-M1 for stills, and the 5d MK III for video.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z990 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +29 more
sdribetahi
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?
In reply to Landscapephoto99, Oct 8, 2013

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

sdribetahi wrote:

You shoot mice with nice bokeh in the dark? Wow, well it's nice to know for everything else a m43 can get you as good or better results given your level of photo skills.

Yes, good results can be had by pretty much any camera made in 2013. Not sure how excited I'd be that it can take a good photo in still objects in great light with everything to infinity in focus. Like bragging that your cars breaks work really well on a flat driveway when parked. Probably just as well as ceramic breaks on a Ferrari!

Landscapephoto99
Like?

sdribetahi wrote:

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

sdribetahi wrote:

You shoot mice with nice bokeh in the dark? Wow, well it's nice to know for everything else a m43 can get you as good or better results given your level of photo skills.

Yes, good results can be had by pretty much any camera made in 2013. Not sure how excited I'd be that it can take a good photo in still objects in great light with everything to infinity in focus. Like bragging that your cars breaks work really well on a flat driveway when parked. Probably just as well as ceramic breaks on a Ferrari!

No, more like a off road vehicle that can do mountains and sand dunes and rivers compared to a sports car that can speed on straight away but not much else.  m43 is excellent in any type of climate, can take photos with great bokeh shallow DoF, best for macros, better for most low light photos than almost any other system given IBIS and 0.95 lenses, very good AF now, and a sensor that is certainly equal to the best APS-C sensors....but yes you are right, you will not have as many keepers when taking photos of speeding mice in the dark.  I stand corrected.

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,986Gear list
Like?
In reply to n3eg, Oct 8, 2013

n3eg wrote:

My two must-buy cameras if I ever win the lottery. The E-M1 for stills, and the 5d MK III for video.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

Really?

I'll go with the Leica S2-P for stills and an assistant to carry it.

And nothing for video.

dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,247
Like?
Re: stunned...

that the EM1 didn't trounce the 5d mk3 in every category. Must be something wrong with your testing or something is wrong with your EM1 and all of your mFT lenses.

Please buy another EM1 and all of the "pro" grade mFT lenses and retest.

You failed to mentioned that the Canon gear are huge and heavy and has shortened your life by decades. Please make sure to mention this when you have retested and concluded that the EM1 is vastly superior.

Thank you kindly

Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 13,087
Like?
No camera is the "best" for everything

sdribetahi wrote:

The thing that keeps me away from m4/3 is every time I see a write up, the author always has the caveat that, "this (fill in the blank) shortcoming doesn't bother me due to what I shoot".

The same is often said about FF and APS-C DSLRs and any other type of camera since no camera is the "best" for everything. Here are just 3 examples:

This bulky, heavy FF gear doesn't bother me because I usually just throw it all in the car, drive somewhere, and don't wander too far from the car when I arrive.

or

This bulky, heavy FF gear doesn't bother me because I usually use it in a studio.

or

This bulky, heavy FF gear doesn't bother me because I mostly just fondle it -- I hate taking photos.

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 4,230
Like?
In reply to sdribetahi, Oct 9, 2013

sdribetahi wrote:

Not a blog, but I am also looking at the E-M1 as a camera for shooting fast lenses indoor with subjects moving (mostly towards me) at ranges below 4 meters. Still waiting for preorders to arrive, but I went to three Olympus events and just today tested AF-C + 45/1.8 in several different ways.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52295196

pdelux
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?
Re: After all these years
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, Oct 9, 2013

Your thoughtful logic and sensibility is not welcome here.... More complaints on shutter shock required!

pdelux's gear list:pdelux's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +3 more
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,888
Like?
In reply to johnvr1, Oct 9, 2013

A while back I asked myself the question if I could get rid of my Canon 5D Mark III once I got the Olympus OM-D EM1. I've now had the Olympus for about 10 days and I'm answering my own question on my blog: www.photographicwanderings.com.

-- hide signature --

About 30 years ago I read an article similarly comparing a Hasselblad 500C to a Nikon F2A. Comparing resolution of the respective formats (2 1/4 & 35mm) was pretty sophomoric then. I hate to sound dour, but this article is no different. No one buys m4/3 with the idea that it will give bettet IQ than a current FF dslr. At least no one who understands the basics of digital photography.
--
If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.

http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/

http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,745Gear list
Like?
In reply to johnvr1, Oct 9, 2013

I don't own EM1 but I had owned Canon 5DM3 and an array of L lenses and shot over 15,000 shots with 5DM3.   It is a remarkable camera in terms of image quality and predictable results.   I also find the Canon Lenses remarkable and the fastest focusing lenses around.    I ultimately switched from Canon to Nikon due to the fact the ergonomics of Nikon feel more natural to me than Canon's (after years with Canon I still have to think which button to press for what, with Nikon it just all seems logically placed to me).

I also own both Fuji X and m43 gear and enjoy using it, but I won't get rid of my Full Frame DSLR gear anytime soon.     Well, unless the new Sony Full Frame Mirrorless all of the sudden finds way to have instant and reliable autofocus and features a lineup of small bright lenses.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +9 more
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,986Gear list
Like?
In reply to CharlesB58, Oct 9, 2013

CharlesB58 wrote:

-- hide signature --

About 30 years ago I read an article similarly comparing a Hasselblad 500C to a Nikon F2A. Comparing resolution of the respective formats (2 1/4 & 35mm) was pretty sophomoric then. I hate to sound dour, but this article is no different. No one buys m4/3 with the idea that it will give bettet IQ than a current FF dslr. At least no one who understands the basics of digital photography.
--
If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.

http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/

http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

This is true.

The real question should be "how good does IQ need to be for your uses?"

There is still the belief that more MP is automatically 'better'.

Take the front page of National Geographic. At that size, 12Mp would be more than sufficient (heck, 8 probably would) and even if you had a 16 bit file from a 36Mp camera, the print process used won't be capable of reproducing it.

Almost any editorial photographer can be happy with 12-16Mp. Buying, storing and processing Mp you do not need benefits only (a) your GAS and (b) camera makers.

Properly identifying 'good enough' is the key.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads