Ricoh HZ 15

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
mjdundee
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
Ricoh HZ 15
9 months ago

Discovered on the Ricoh website as the latest compact camera.

Nice and handy looking with a 15x wideangle zoom starting at 24mm.

No information found here at dpr. Did I miss something?

mjdundee's gear list:mjdundee's gear list
Olympus Stylus 720 SW Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Runnicle
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
Re: Ricoh HZ 15
In reply to mjdundee, 9 months ago

The original announcement did appear here back in late August.  Camera was said to be "for Europe only" and set for release late last month, with pricing not yet set when news story appeared.

Runnicle's gear list:Runnicle's gear list
Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Sony SLT-A57 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mjdundee
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
In reply to Runnicle, 9 months ago

Runnicle wrote:

The original announcement did appear here back in late August. Camera was said to be "for Europe only" and set for release late last month, with pricing not yet set when news story appeared.

Thks - I obviousely have missed this. 'Europe only'?!

Very mysterious.

mjdundee's gear list:mjdundee's gear list
Olympus Stylus 720 SW Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,580
Like?
In reply to mjdundee, 9 months ago

mjdundee wrote:

Runnicle wrote:

The original announcement did appear here back in late August. Camera was said to be "for Europe only" and set for release late last month, with pricing not yet set when news story appeared.

Very mysterious.

"Mysterious" indeed:

Pentax designs Theta 180 degree camera on a stick, Ricoh markets it.

Pentax announces K-01 discontinued.  Makes another (small?) run of the camera in blue livery.

CX model disappears without a trace or even a wave of goodbye, HZ-15 appears with odd designation "for Europe only".

GR carries on the GRD theme but leaves not a few GRD features out - phase detect window, image stablisation and close macro for three - obviously engineering problems?   GR selling like "hot potatoes".

GRD is last (?) of Ricoh's small sensor cameras, or was until the HZ-15.

Vapour clues that the GXR is not finished but the best we ever got out of Ricoh is that it is still listed as a current model and that they were still "thinking about" a new model.

All this adds up to scratching the bottom of the barrel for things to sell whilst waiting for fresh supplies to come through the rivers by bullock waggon in the "wet" season. When might it stop raining?

Side issues: Sony supplies quite a few major parts to Ricoh - they seem to be taking "for ever" to get their long rumoured NEX FF camera to market.  Any connection between this and no sign of a GXR replacement is purely fantasmagorical.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

chandc
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 9 months ago

Tom Caldwell wrote:

mjdundee wrote:

Runnicle wrote:

Very mysterious.

"Mysterious" indeed:

Pentax designs Theta 180 degree camera on a stick, Ricoh markets it.

Pentax announces K-01 discontinued. Makes another (small?) run of the camera in blue livery.

CX model disappears without a trace or even a wave of goodbye, HZ-15 appears with odd designation "for Europe only".

GR carries on the GRD theme but leaves not a few GRD features out - phase detect window, image stablisation and close macro for three - obviously engineering problems? GR selling like "hot potatoes".

GRD is last (?) of Ricoh's small sensor cameras, or was until the HZ-15.

Vapour clues that the GXR is not finished but the best we ever got out of Ricoh is that it is still listed as a current model and that they were still "thinking about" a new model.

All this adds up to scratching the bottom of the barrel for things to sell whilst waiting for fresh supplies to come through the rivers by bullock waggon in the "wet" season. When might it stop raining?

Side issues: Sony supplies quite a few major parts to Ricoh - they seem to be taking "for ever" to get their long rumoured NEX FF camera to market. Any connection between this and no sign of a GXR replacement is purely fantasmagorical.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

I can't wait and order the HZ15 from UK, from the specification I don't like the entry level 3" LCD.

schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,076Gear list
Like?
In reply to chandc, 9 months ago

Except for the improved zoom-reach at both ends of the zoom I don't think this one is gonna be any better than the CX6. As far as I know most other specifications are below CX6 and there is no aperture mode or even Phase detection AF. Clearly a renamed Sanyo compact which in fact should have been named Pentax as it is definitely more like their super-zoom compacts rather than Ricoh if we look at other things like button-layout etc.

Hopefully it might at least have good image quality without too much smudging.

mjdundee wrote:

Runnicle wrote:

Very mysterious.

Maybe Ricoh in Japan which have a bigger market share there already knew that their fans there probably not would welcome it very well as it mostly seems to have worse specs and UI than the best CX-models from Ricoh and took the decision to release it in Europe only for some reason.

There has been opposite ways around in the past but less extreme such. Like the shock and waterproof Ricoh RDC-100G which probably not was sold outside Japen even though the newer RDC-200G and the follwing G-series cameras was sold in most regions.

There was also a rare all black Ricoh Caplio RR30 which I believe only was intended for Japan as well.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,580
Like?
In reply to schaki, 9 months ago

schaki wrote:

Except for the improved zoom-reach at both ends of the zoom I don't think this one is gonna be any better than the CX6. As far as I know most other specifications are below CX6 and there is no aperture mode or even Phase detection AF. Clearly a renamed Sanyo compact which in fact should have been named Pentax as it is definitely more like their super-zoom compacts rather than Ricoh if we look at other things like button-layout etc.

Hopefully it might at least have good image quality without too much smudging.

mjdundee wrote:

Runnicle wrote:

Very mysterious.

Maybe Ricoh in Japan which have a bigger market share there already knew that their fans there probably not would welcome it very well as it mostly seems to have worse specs and UI than the best CX-models from Ricoh and took the decision to release it in Europe only for some reason.

There has been opposite ways around in the past but less extreme such. Like the shock and waterproof Ricoh RDC-100G which probably not was sold outside Japen even though the newer RDC-200G and the follwing G-series cameras was sold in most regions.

There was also a rare all black Ricoh Caplio RR30 which I believe only was intended for Japan as well.

I still think it is scraping the bottom of the barrel for scraps to sell on various markets whilst some other project comes to fruition.

Someone has asked for a cheap camera for the Europe market and an existing design has been given a quick makeover, bought in and made to fill a slot and give some market presence to show that the Ricoh brand is still alive.  There gets to be a point where any product that can be found to be sold is a "good product".

For Ricoh watchers waiting for some news of more interesting cameras from Ricoh it is good news that Ricoh are at least selling "something" to keep the brand alive in the meantime.

My very rough guess is that Sony had some delivery problems and Ricoh is just another consequential victim.  By the looks of the Henrys sale and subsequent clearing of the GXR decks quite a while ago I might wonder if Ricoh was getting ready for releasing a new line but maybe supply holdups aced their planned schedule "good and proper".

Many complaints about the long gestation of the "FF NEX" aka A7, but Sony seems still to be rushing to market with most of their lens lineup largely still "promised" and body-only sales quite possible.  Unseemly haste?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

chandc
Like?

Based on the battery type, Ricoh HZ15 is same as Kodak FZ151.

chandc
Like?

Recevied the unit, not the same build level as other Ricoh model current model, which is 'upgraded' model from similar to 2007's R7.

The battery do not even have 'Ricoh' name imprint on it, which looks and feel like third part battery unit.

schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,076Gear list
Like?
Reviews of Ricoh HZ 15
In reply to mjdundee, 3 months ago

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/ricoh_hz15_review/

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ricoh-hz15-review-23237

Slightly less NR than what I could have expected and that was welcome. I hope that Ricoh can give Sanyo a piece of good advice to get the UI right on the newer HZ cameras if there is some to come. We also want to have the PDAF back of course plus NR options. The zoom should be ok.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads