Pentax K-3 (imaging-resource)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Ari Aikomus
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,768
Like?
Pentax K-3 (imaging-resource)
6 months ago

...imaging-resource did a excellent job again!

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3/pentax-k3A.HTM

Wow - what a great DSLR this new K-3 is!

cheers,

Ari

Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,643Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax K-3 (imaging-resource)
In reply to Ari Aikomus, 6 months ago

"By contrast, the brand-new Pentax K-3 is revolutionary.".

Got my attention

read read read

-- hide signature --

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sir_bazz
sir_bazz MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,034Gear list
Like?

Better level of commentary on the new AA filter in that link.

-- hide signature --

Zooms? pfffft!

sir_bazz's gear list:sir_bazz's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +2 more
solarider
Like?
Pentax Branded Flucard

"...a Pentax-branded, Wi-Fi capable Flucard SDHC card will ship for US$100 in a 16GB capacity. Not only will this allow wireless data transfer -- it will also let you control your camera remotely (including live view feed) from your PC, or from recent Android / iOS smart devices."

-- hide signature --

We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,119
Like?

Best (p)review so far.

My question of the day is: Can the sensor-based anti-aliasing be used at the same time as sensor-based shake reduction? Or must one choose one or the other? They both operate by moving the sensor.

Joe

solarider
Like?
In reply to Joseph Tainter, 6 months ago

I think they both work at the same time, wouldn't make a bit of sense otherwise.

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Best (p)review so far.

My question of the day is: Can the sensor-based anti-aliasing be used at the same time as sensor-based shake reduction? Or must one choose one or the other? They both operate by moving the sensor.

Joe

-- hide signature --

Ared Mossinel
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?

They should be two totally different amplitudes and frequencies. i.e. it ought to work. As with everything, the truth will be in the eating.

asahi man
Regular MemberPosts: 418
Like?
In reply to solarider, 6 months ago

solarider wrote:

I think they both work at the same time, wouldn't make a bit of sense otherwise.

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Best (p)review so far.

Joe

-- hide signature --

That´s right

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,897Gear list
Like?

Thanks for posting Ari - a good read.  I wonder if they had a pre-production or a production camera.  It's the best description of the sensor-based AA that I've seen.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Ari Aikomus
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,768
Like?
In reply to asahi man, 6 months ago

solarider wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Best (p)review so far.

Joe

-- hide signature --

That´s right

Yes! That was good a know.
--
- Ari Aikomus -

'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

http://1.static.img-dpreview.com/files/w/TS560x560?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elisanet.fi%2Faikaarska%2FAaikomus.jpg&signature=14P5Jolq22j5JQT9ZNLExZpGXNU=

Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,010Gear list
Like?

I enjoyed reading the IR stuff.  Answered some questions for me.

Since this is your thread, I will post these here.  Haven't seen you in a while...  What do you think about these:

I didn't think much about it until I got there.  I walked past a sailing ship and saw big cement balls and I thought this must be the location you were in when you used your Zenitar 16mm lens and posted some shots !  How is that ?!

I enjoyed walking through the market but didn't buy anything; I was low on money.  I did suddenly feel very hungry...

For some reason..?  A lady reporter with two camera guys walked by and they stopped to film me eating...  I tried to not spill food.

Hope you're doing well.

Tan68
Like?

I wonder this as well. It would make sense it is possible to do some fast math and subtract from the SR movements... Hope this is the case.  OK, already answered.  I am behind the curve ball.

The battery life is less with this camera but I guess part of that is running the LPF feature during the evaluation. Probably the processor wants more power. Maybe. Still, glad they kept the same battery!

Brad99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,922
Like?
In reply to Ared Mossinel, 6 months ago

I can't see it working with flash but we'll see.

Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,119
Like?

solarider wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Best (p)review so far.

Joe

But don't both shifts need to happen at the same time? The sensor needs to shift at the factional second of exposure to provide anti-aliasing, and it needs to shift at the exact same time to compensate for shake.

Joe

lpammann
Senior MemberPosts: 2,079Gear list
Like?

Joseph Tainter wrote:

solarider wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Best (p)review so far.

Joe

But don't both shifts need to happen at the same time? The sensor needs to shift at the factional second of exposure to provide anti-aliasing, and it needs to shift at the exact same time to compensate for shake.

Joe

Just speculating here, but these could be two separate computations, in which case you could just subtract the AA shift from the SR shift to get total shift.

LPA

lpammann's gear list:lpammann's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +1 more
Tan68
Like?
In reply to lpammann, 6 months ago

i would imagine the the movement required by the LPF function is known.  it becomes some like a constant.  at any moment, the position is known and can be added or subtracted from the SR movement.

plus, i believe i read Asahiman agreeing when someone said it would be silly for the two to not work together...

JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602Gear list
Like?

solarider wrote:

"By contrast, the brand-new Pentax K-3 is revolutionary.".

Got my attention

read read read

-- hide signature --

Yeah, when you see even a "first look" from folks who review essentially everything calling a new product development "revolutionary," that's saying something (but assuming the new K-3 LPF implementation works as promised -- and maybe even offers more customization down the line through firmware upgrades, as they suggested, it really IS)! Add to that this will be, as far as I know, the first and ONLY APS-C camera with a shutter rated for 200,000 cycles, and I think we can say the K-3, at least for a brief moment, here, looks like the most closest thing to a professional-level APS-C DSLR there is on the market.

Of course most of us already think the K-5 is, but in truth, for pure overall image quality, DxOMark.com's RAW sensor most recent ratings (as of an article I'm quoting from the October 2013 edition of Digital PhotoPro magazine) give the top four scores to four FF models, followed by some medium format and more FFs, with the first APS-C models not showing up until positions 12 and 13. Ratings were similar for High-ISO performance and other factors, even though (and I agree) as the article said... "There's more to image quality than the factors DxOMark.com considers..."

This same article ("Battle of the DSLRs"), I might mention, however, listed 7 FF cameras, 18 APS-C models and 1 Four-Thirds model. NONE of the models listed were Panasonic or Fuji, but ALL FOUR current (as of the printing) Pentax models were included: K-5II/S was listed as ONE model, along with K-50, K-30 and K-500, and Pentax was the ONLY APS-C brand where ALL listed models had AF Fine adjustment available! I have to say, the article made me feel better about "the state of things" while waiting to see if the K-3 would materialize or not. It also indicated only ONE of the other 25 cameras would AF down to -3 EV (like the K-5/II/s), that being the Canon EOS 6D, BEMOANED (on behalf of pros), the fact that most FF cameras DON'T include pop-up flash (it said most would LOVE to have it for all the same reasons WE all love having it)!

They also mentioned that while the PRO DSLRs are "well sealed against moisture and dust, the primary "less costly" DLSRs with good weather-sealing are Pentax and "one staff member has successfully used his K-5 in the rain numerous times (with the DA*300mm F4 SDM lens, which is also marketed as weather resistant)."

The article never did seem to hit any real conclusions, other than those it glossed over early on about DxOMark ratings, but it certainly showed Pentax to have a fair number of PLUSES in the APS-C department.

At some point I'll see if I can find that online and post a link.

Here's a link to the entire article. I thought about giving it it's own thread. Maybe I should?

http://www.digitalphotopro.com/gear/cameras/battle-of-the-dslrs.html

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads