difference between canon 5d mark iii usa vs. japan grey market

Started Oct 7, 2013 | Discussions
jasonfodor
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
difference between canon 5d mark iii usa vs. japan grey market
Oct 7, 2013

have a friend who's wanting to sell me his japan version cheap.... what's the difference?  Is grey market cheaper.... how much cheaper than USA does it sell for?
only experience i have is with US (regular) text books vs. international editions (which is same except pages are black and white - looks like someone copied the US version) and sell for a lot cheaper than regular US text books.... same thing with cameras or is my example not valid

Rudolf
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?
Re: difference between canon 5d mark iii usa vs. japan grey market
In reply to jasonfodor, Oct 7, 2013

A grey market camera form Japan is the same camera, the only difference is that the grey market cam doesn't come with local USA warranty. If something were to go wrong, you would have to send it back to Japan for repair.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mihama01
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
In reply to Rudolf, Oct 7, 2013

I *think* Japan model only comes with three languages options for the camera menus, Japanese, English and Chinese, non-Japanese models have spanish language menu etc. This is based on experience of other Canon models.

Carlos C
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rudolf, Oct 7, 2013

Rudolf wrote:

A grey market camera form Japan is the same camera, the only difference is that the grey market cam doesn't come with local USA warranty. If something were to go wrong, you would have to send it back to Japan for repair.

You are kidding.... I lived in China for two years and while there I bought a Canon G 1X. I am now back in the US...so if I need repairs I cannot send it to the US Canon repair center? That would be completely insane for a world wide corporation such as Canon. I did not pay anything less in China; believe me. Nothing wrong with the camera so far, but just wondering.

Thanks

Carlos

Carlos C's gear list:Carlos C's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Rad Encarnacion
Regular MemberPosts: 283Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carlos C, Oct 8, 2013

Carlos C wrote:

You are kidding.... I lived in China for two years and while there I bought a Canon G 1X. I am now back in the US...so if I need repairs I cannot send it to the US Canon repair center? That would be completely insane for a world wide corporation such as Canon. I did not pay anything less in China; believe me. Nothing wrong with the camera so far, but just wondering.

While Canon may be a multi-national corporation, they actually run on a per-country distributor franchise model. So while the products and services of Canon USA may be similar to those of Canon China, each are allowed their own warranty policies, sales processes, etc.

So yes, if you need to have your camera repaired under warranty, you'd need to send it to China. Best case scenario, based on how our local Canon distributor works, is that Canon USA would still accept repairs on your camera, but would consider it an out-of-warranty item (and priced accordingly). It might be best to ask them what their policies are while your camera's still working now.

Rad Encarnacion's gear list:Rad Encarnacion's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +3 more
Carlos C
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rad Encarnacion, Oct 8, 2013

Thanks. My camera is out of warranty now as I bought it whethey're G1X first came out so would have on pay anyways if in need of repairs.

Carlos C's gear list:Carlos C's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Mike921
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?
In reply to jasonfodor, Oct 9, 2013

Actually, the Japan camera is only considered grey market outsideJapan.  Inside Japan it's just considered a camera   Warranty issues aside, there have always been rumors (unsubstantiated to my knowledge, and I lived in Japan for a few years) that Canon (and most Japanese companies) sell theirbest stocks in Japan and the remainder is exported.  Again, unsubstantiated, but I've heard that more than once from many different people.  That could potentially make your friends 5D3 a little more valuable, albeit grey....

Mike921's gear list:Mike921's gear list
Canon PowerShot S400 Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads