Why so little fanfare for the X-A1?

Started Oct 7, 2013 | Questions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Why so little fanfare for the X-A1?
In reply to CAcreeks, Oct 9, 2013

CAcreeks wrote:

This time the X-A1 suddenly appeared at a very appealing price and seemingly without any major flaws.

I think it a bit early to decide that there are no major flaws. How long has the camera been out, a week?

cantanima's gear list:cantanima's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2600 Zoom Fujifilm X10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298Gear list
Like?
an absolute IQ in the laboratory condition doesn't make much sense
In reply to Davidgilmour, Oct 9, 2013

Davidgilmour wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

I am not used to this. Lately, Fuji has pre-announced products that turn out disappointing in some way, later somewhat fixed by firmware update, introduction of a replacement model, or in the case of the X10, sensor replacement.

This time the X-A1 suddenly appeared at a very appealing price and seemingly without any major flaws.

The X-A1 is one of the more interesting cameras in recent years. Weight and size are similar to M43. Unlike the Nikon-1 and EOS-M, it seems like a serious product. Unlike NEX almost all lenses (so far) are good or excellent. Lightroom can support it easily and well.

Was the X-A1 just an afterthought, or an end-run around the X-Trans engineering team?

A lot of people who paid $ 1,600+ for a X-Pro body probably are not amused to see a (effectively) $349 body give the same (or even slightly better) IQ....

What is the 'image quality'? Number of pixels? Dynamic range? In this case any noob with the modern camera makes better shots than Cartier-Bresson

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,659Gear list
Like?
In reply to cantanima, Oct 9, 2013

cantanima wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

I think it a bit early to decide that there are no major flaws. How long has the camera been out, a week?

I tried shooting a landscape today with one (okay, it was an X-M1, with the identical control set).  The sky was very bright with the sun glaring through the coulds.  Without a viewfinder, it was impossible to see the focus point and to see precisely what was being framed. It was also impossible to review the image in any satisfying way.  I had to walk back to the car and cup my hand over the camera to get a good idea of what exactly I had captured.

Some would consider the omission of a viewfinder, without the option of an add-on viewfinder accessory, a "flaw." I certainly resolved to carry the X-E1 next time for outdoor shooting instead of the little camera.

There are many reasons beyond "X-trans" that the top-of-the-line X cameras command a higher price.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
CAcreeks
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,864
Like?
In reply to AustinB, Oct 9, 2013

AustinB wrote:

The 30-110 is an excellent lens, sharp at most apertures.

Dynamic range is not the best, it's a small sensor after all. Try one out, you may end up liking it, like myself and the rest of the skeptics of the system.

You are correct! Not the fastest lens in the world, but almost entirely magenta and purple in the sharpness graph. Thanks.

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1470/cat/13

Recalculating, as my GPS device says... 54-297mm crop equivalent.

CAcreeks
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,864
Like?
too soon to say no major flaws?
In reply to cantanima, Oct 9, 2013

cantanima wrote:

Good point.

In the conclusion to his X-M1 review, Gordon Laing writes:

[Fujifilm has a] bit more work to do if it's to compete with the likes of Olympus and Panasonic... Once again there's no touchscreen, no auto-panoramas, no built-in timelapse shooting, and you can't apply effects, like the miniature mode, to movies. And while the built-in Wifi may let you transfer images to your phone, you won't be remote controlling the camera with it and the geo-tagging implementation is odd to say the least.

When people complain that in bright sunlight they can't see where the camera is focusing, touchscreen is one possible solution. Hard to know if auto-panorama and timelapse can be added in a firmware update.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to bowportes, Oct 9, 2013

bowportes wrote:

Some would consider the omission of a viewfinder, without the option of an add-on viewfinder accessory, a "flaw." I certainly resolved to carry the X-E1 next time for outdoor shooting instead of the little camera.

I agree; I prefer the X10's simple OVF to its LCD, even in darkness when the LCD is quite clear. Nice as it would be to have an X20-style OVF/EVF, the difference in price means I'll have to wait a while. (Plus, I'm not sure I want to lose EXR.)

But that's not the kind of flaw OP was talking about, which I interpreted to mean things such as orbs, sticky aperture blades, etc.

cantanima's gear list:cantanima's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2600 Zoom Fujifilm X10
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads