-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,930Gear list
Like?
Re: And you thought Pentax lenses were expensive
In reply to steephill, 11 months ago

I just think "Zeiss" thinks a name justifies a high price. I can't understand how ANYONE would pay $4,000 for a MANUAL FOCUS F1.4 55mm FF lens, PERIOD. I know lenses for medium format cameras can run in that price range, but then we're in an entirely different "ball park," aren't we.

I guess there are some pros (and probably more than a few too-wealthy FF shooters who "just have to have everything") who will buy that lens. But I really can't see it. Optical quality can get "only so good." You'd have to really prove something ASTOUNDING to me to convince me such a lens is worth such a price.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robbie Corrigan
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?

May well be worth it if it is optically sound across the frame at f/1.4

Pricing is always subjective, what is seriously overpriced for one person may seem like good value if it delivers what another person needs. Zeiss seem confident that this will be an optical standout, if its the best in its class why not charge a premium? 

And its only direct competitor is the DA* 55 f/1.4, perhaps a comparison can be done on one the four thirds cameras. Would be interesting to see if it is worth 4 times the DA*, very doubtful but it is possible.

Robbie Corrigan's gear list:Robbie Corrigan's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +1 more
Peter Budd
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?

I think I will order 2 just in case one fails

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

Peter Budd's gear list:Peter Budd's gear list
Nikon D700 Pentax K-3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
KL Matt
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,135
Like?

I think this is Zeiss saying not only can we make lenses that stand up well when compared with Leica glass optically, we can even price them like Leica does...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/332585-USA/Leica_11891_50mm_f_1_4_Summilux_M.html

Matt

-- hide signature --

... interested in .... photographs? Heh? Know what a mean? Photographs? (He asked him knowingly). Nudge nudge, snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, say no more, say no more, know what a' mean? Know what a' mean?
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=183820&subSubSection=0&language=EN

Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,519Gear list
Like?

digital version, i figure.

i figure it is premature to buy two lenses in case one is bad...  if the focus motor fails just switch to your other hand.  i admit, i am not as dexterous with my backup drive motor.  but to save a few thousand dollars...  might be worth a try.

JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,930Gear list
Like?
In reply to KL Matt, 11 months ago

KL Matt wrote:

I think this is Zeiss saying not only can we make lenses that stand up well when compared with Leica glass optically, we can even price them like Leica does...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/332585-USA/Leica_11891_50mm_f_1_4_Summilux_M.html

Matt

-- hide signature --

... interested in .... photographs? Heh? Know what a mean? Photographs? (He asked him knowingly). Nudge nudge, snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, say no more, say no more, know what a' mean? Know what a' mean?
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=183820&subSubSection=0&language=EN

Yeah. And that's annudder one there ain't no of! I continue to fail to understand what the big deal is about Leica products! They come out with new cameras that don't have a look or feel half as good as the competition; nor the specs -- and they're $3,000 or more! What gives? And how do they get $4,000 for that lens? I see some of those newer Leica cameras that are still practically MANUAL cameras going for $3,000 and I'm like... WHAT GIVES???

Do Leica shooters use some kind of special hallucinogenic drugs the rest of us need to learn about, so we can ALL enjoy their special version of reality, or what???

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,626
Like?

Considering the hood and that many glass-air surfaces i doubt it does well for flare and transmission, plus a 77mm filter thread, Ok so my Sigma has a 77mm filter thread but Pentax can produce a 50mm F1.4 with a 49mm filter thread so what gives? I'm sure it will be good in many ways but there is no justifying that price unless it gives better than perfect macro performance at F1.4 and gets better from there as you stop down

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

fotobert
Contributing MemberPosts: 625Gear list
Like?
law of diminishing marginal utility

I bought a K5, not a P&S

I bought Pentax, Tamron, Sigma and Holga(!) lenses. Could not afford Zeiss, Leica or Schneider Kreuznach.

But I confess, I would love to have one or two.

So why worry about the price? Isn't nice that these products exist? Something to stretch for. Like a Ferrari, an IWC watch, a 56" TV, a Leica S, a bottle of Black Bowmore, a night at the club with the swedish bikini team, ...

So many dreams, so little money

Have a nice day

Albert

fotobert's gear list:fotobert's gear list
Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +10 more
Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090Gear list
Like?
Re: law of diminishing marginal utility
In reply to fotobert, 11 months ago

fotobert wrote:

Like a Ferrari, an IWC watch, a 56" TV, a Leica S, a bottle of Black Bowmore, a night at the club with the swedish bikini team, ...

Sweden has a bikini team? Rock on steady, fella!

KL Matt
Like?
In reply to JeffAHayes, 11 months ago

What gives? And how do they get $4,000 for that lens? I see some of those newer Leica cameras that are still practically MANUAL cameras going for $3,000 and I'm like...WHAT GIVES???

There is currently no rangefinder that competes with the Leica M series regarding precision, quality and features at any price. The same can be said for many of their fixed focal length lenses.

And... could it be that you don't understand what using a rangefinder is all about?

Here's a brief rundown: focus goes where you put it via means of an intuitive, mechanical interface that becomes an extension of you: a very smooth, precise ring you dial in to exactly where you want it. Not an electronic brain putting focus where it thinks you want it, not fumbling for tiny buttons on a control pad you can't look at while composing to select the point you want, no awkward focus and recompose.

You get to see what's just outside the frame as well as what's in the frame.

Bright viewfinder.

Mirorless by design, smaller wide-angle lenses.

All the advantages of modern mirorless designs, none of the drawbacks of 1. EVFs or 2. LCD screens

Focus works well in low light.

Great, discrete cameras for street photography.

Surely, there are disadvantages as well and rangefinders are not for everyone. But just because they're not for you does not mean they are somehow stupid or unfathomable. It just means you lack insight.

Here is some further reading for you:

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/focusing.html

Kind regards,

Matt

KL Matt
Like?
And no, I can't afford a digital Leica either.
-- hide signature --

DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,601Gear list
Like?

Hi,

This is an expensive lens, but there's good reason, this lens is designed to have practically no faults and is a true aprochromatic design, it's probably the one of the best lenses ever made and is apparently tack sharp from F1.4 across the frame, OOF green/red fringing is non-existent.

I would love to see a full review of this lens. Is it worth the money?  Definitely!  If you're a pro working often in studios and doing seriously demanding work printing  50X30 cms  and you want the best, this is it! this lens is the closest to perfection that you can get and is a lens for life and knocks spots off Leica equivalents (which are after all standard but refined designs ) for a similar price.

Tap Zeiss 55mm 1.4 on you tube to watch the video.

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
A FREE Mini review by Lloyd
In reply to DAVID MANZE, 11 months ago

http://diglloyd.com/articles/ZeissZ/ZeissZ-Otus-55f1_4.html

For dreaming...

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V1 Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,308Gear list
Like?

A 50mm lens that weighs a kilogram?  It seems to me that size and weight are compromises.  As a landscape enthusiast, I can think of more practical lenses for the field. There won't be too many of these going to the Himalayas....... I would also predict that it won't handle flare and harsh backlight all that well.   I'll stick to my FA50/2.8 thanks.  If I was Canon shooter I could buy both the 24mm and 45mm TS lenses for the same money and never look back.

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
Col K10d
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,199Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 11 months ago

Seems to handle the back lit situation pretty well. Just no ZK version in the pipeline

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,601Gear list
Like?
Re: A FREE Mini review by Lloyd
In reply to JL Salvignol, 11 months ago

JL Salvignol wrote:

For dreaming...

-- hide signature --

JLS

This non-technical review and the photos confirm my hopes. Worries about flare,sharpness fully open,distortion,contrast etc....none whatsoever.

Simply the best lens ever made designed for serious photographers!

Is it worth the price tag? Yes, probably the best value lens you can buy.

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
Not so obvious :
In reply to DAVID MANZE, 11 months ago
 JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V1 Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,308Gear list
Like?
In reply to Col K10d, 11 months ago

Thanks Col.  A beautiful shot.  Happy to be wrong - I stand educated, and full marks to Zeiss for flare control..........  Unless that's the moon  :-).

I guess it's been my experience that relatively few fast lenses handle an included sun and other point sources that well.  Pentax's 15mm Ltd is well known for it, but my FA 50/1.4 simply isn't in the race, and my faster Nikkors of yesteryear were much the same.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads