How should I get the shadow details from X-S1 RAF files?

Started 9 months ago | Questions
hassannabeel
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
How should I get the shadow details from X-S1 RAF files?
9 months ago

Hi,

I recently started doing astrophotography using my Fuji X-S1. The OOC JEPG files looked very flat but a little tweaking in DarkTable showed a lot of stars from shadows. I always shoot RAW+JPEG so i immediately switched to RAF file hoping i will get better results and followed the same process as i did with JPEG but i am unable to get any details from RAF file (not even as good as OOC JPEG). Can someone guide me the process of getting shadow details from X-S1 RAF files? Please feel free to tweak and reload the file. I am attaching OOC JPEG, modified JPEG and OOC RAW. (I have tried both SILKYPIX and DarkTable.)

OOC JPEG

DarkTable exported. Applied Shadow recovery and little tweaking with base curve.

RAF file:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx_RsUiY-foXTDBvejc2QlE2ZzA/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks

hassannabeel's gear list:hassannabeel's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-S1
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Bruce Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,009
Like?
Re: How should I get the shadow details from X-S1 RAF files?
In reply to hassannabeel, 9 months ago

I tried to give it a go, but at ISO 1600 its hard to tell what are stars and what is noise.

Are you stacking these high ISO shots?  Otherwise, I would lower the ISO and go for a longer exposure.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hassannabeel
Like?
In reply to Bruce Jones, 9 months ago

Bruce Jones wrote:

I tried to give it a go, but at ISO 1600 its hard to tell what are stars and what is noise.

Are you stacking these high ISO shots? Otherwise, I would lower the ISO and go for a longer exposure.

@Bruce, thanks for trying. And Sorry i had uploaded the incorrect RAF file. Please use the this file.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx_RsUiY-foXTDBvejc2QlE2ZzA/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks

Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,410Gear list
Like?

hassannabeel wrote:

Bruce Jones wrote:

Are you stacking these high ISO shots? Otherwise, I would lower the ISO and go for a longer exposure.

I would think shooting at base ISO and increasing exposure time would be the answer.

You shot ISO1600 at 2s. ISO100 would take 10s - would that allow for too much movement of the stars (or of the earth to be precise)?

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

rd52
Regular MemberPosts: 144
Like?

I use Rawtherapee, you can take a shot with the lens cap on at what exposure you expect to shoot at.  You then can use that photo to subtract the noise created by your sensor on your other photos.  I used that option when I shot fireworks with my Canon.

Many raw conversion programs have that feature, I know that both Canon and Rawtherapee do.

rd52
Like?
In reply to rd52, 9 months ago

I know Rawtherapee does it, couldn't find the option in DPP.  With Canon's you have to specify it in the camera in its custom menus.

awbs
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

With RawTherapee I was able to get this: (Please view original sizes to see differences between the two)

Heavy noise reduction

If I modify either the black level/impulse noise reduction/noise reduction I can get this:

Noise reduction reduced.

I am using RawTherapee 4.0.11.72 (GIT build 2349.ad6018beeb46-1), however any recent version of RawTherapee should work fine.

Here is the side card file if you want to work off of what I was able to do: DSCF1953.RAF.pp3. Click the download link on Pastebin, name the file DSCF1953.RAF.pp3 and save it where the .RAF file is.

So if you play the settings which I changed for the second picture you should be able to fine a balance between noise and stars. I'm always amazed by how well RawTherapee's noise reduction actually works, if you disable noise reduction (or look at the picture below 100%, noise reduction is only applied when the picture is viewed at 100% or greater) the picture looks entirely different!

rd52
Like?

If you have the camera that you took the photos with, take a photo with the lens cap on for as long as you did your other shots.  Then you specify the shot taken with the lens cap on as your dark frame file.  Rawtherapee then will subtract from your other photos the sensor noise.  The dark frame photo doesn't have to be taken the same day.  You could take it now.  Doing it this way worked real well for me taking long exposures of fireworks.  My 7d has some bright red dead pixels when doing long exposures.

hassannabeel
Like?
In reply to rd52, 9 months ago

thanks for all the answers. I will give RawTherapee a try today and post my results here.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads