Moreton bay the birthplace of the Bee Gees.

Started Oct 7, 2013 | Discussions
Aaron Sur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041
Like?
Moreton bay the birthplace of the Bee Gees.
Oct 7, 2013

Thats right folks this iconic group started here at Redcliffe Peninsula  In the 1950's about half an hours drive from Brisbane. This year a memorial wall has been set up personally curated by Barry Gibbs the last surviving band member. It has many images and information about the life and times of the band .

wall mural

Statue B&W

Just across the road slightly further up is  the war memorial on the foreshore. The afternoon sun was highlighting the word "mateship" .

38.7% of men aged between 18-44 enlisted in WW1. of these 416,809 men every one was a volunteer! Almost every town in Australia has a war memorial, even tiny Lord Howe which is approximately 700 km East in the Pacific Ocean.

Beautiful Moreton bay in spring. Wait for it that black smudge is a humpback whale heading for Antarctica

Moreton Bay

Had to cheat here , the XZ-1 has not got the reach I need for a closeup, and strict laws govern how close you can get to a whale from your boat.So used the wife's DSLR.

Mother with calf, the females will carry the calves on their backs to rest them during their long journey south. We had to kill the boat engines they swam and passed right under us 

cheers

Aaron

PON307G
Contributing MemberPosts: 506Gear list
Like?
Re: Moreton bay the birthplace of the Bee Gees.
In reply to Aaron Sur, Oct 7, 2013

Cheers Aaron,

Spiffy lens work again mate, even the Canon one:-D I've not been to Brisbane, but seen (aerial) photo's of the great sand banks at Moreton Bay, quite spectacular. Whale watching here is also very popular, but must admit the ocean in small boats is just not my cup of tea.

Regards,

Larry C.

PON307G's gear list:PON307G's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aaron Sur
Like?
In reply to PON307G, Oct 7, 2013

Hi Larry ,

thanks for looking,we are blessed with a spectacular 3000 km coastline in this state.

No complaints except our car has racked up 60,000km in mileage in two years.

here are a couple of aerial shots returning from Lord Howe Island on a twin prop Dash 8.

extra unwanted filtration by the not so spotless perspex windows.

Aaron

PON307G
Like?
In reply to Aaron Sur, Oct 7, 2013

'G-day Aaron,

Spectacular shots there mate, beautiful country. Not familiar with the Dash 8, but I have to ask if the XZ-1 had any problems with the focus through the perspex windows?

Regards,

Larry C.

Aaron Sur
Like?
In reply to PON307G, Oct 8, 2013

Hi mate ,

the dash 8 we travelled on is a 30 seat twin turboprop aircraft designed for STOL operations , the airstrip on Lord Howe Island is 800 metres long with ocean on either side. I did not seem to have any problem with focus  although it was a very bright sunny day which probably helped.

PON307G
Like?
Re: STOL de Havilland DHC-4
In reply to Aaron Sur, Oct 8, 2013

Aaron,

Thanks for the photo, I haven't keep up on aircraft for many years now. My experience with STOL's were the DHC-4 Caribou in Vietnam. The image below is not my own, but from TSN (Ton Son Nhut archives) where I was stationed. RAAF were right next door to us, what a very good lot they were. One of the things I remember was nearly run over at night several times by their Range Rovers because they were just so damn quiet

RAAF 1964 Ton Son Nhut Air Base, Vietnam

Regards,
Larry C.

Aaron Sur
Like?
In reply to PON307G, Oct 8, 2013

Mate that's probably a aircraft from NO 38 squadron its their 70th anniversary this year.

You probably got attacked by a Land Rover, Range rovers are a bit to upmarket for a digger.

this one is from NO 37 squadron and was at Lord Howe, the crew gave us a tour of the aircraft

C 130J

PON307G
Like?

Cheers Aaron,

C-130 is a great aircraft. When I returned home I joined the local Air National Guard for a few years and they flew 130's. My vocation was with weapons systems on front line fighters (F-4's) so no real direct application to the 130 so we soon parted ways. When the first Gulf War started I tried to rejoin the Air Force if they would put me back with a fighter group, but they said I was too old  When my wife found out she nearly killed me. She'd been through it once before as we were married when they sent me to Vietnam.

Yes, Range Rover's, I should have remembered that, but after nearly forty five years my memory is not so sharp. The Range Rovers RAAF had over there were different sizes, and some were fairly large designed to carry troops. We had an old blue International Harvester (jeep want to be) that was pretty beat up, but did the job and never quit.

Regards,

Larry C.

Marla
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,796Gear list
Like?
Great Thread

I really enjoyed viewing the images and reading the interesting conversations in this thread.  There is just something special here.....a nice place to spend a few minutes!

Really great shots!

Wonderful, informative, interesting - and fun conversations!

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Aaron Sur
Like?
Re: Great Thread
In reply to Marla, Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for looking Marla,

I blame the XZ-1 , it takes pictures of ......well everything.

cheers

Aaron

Aaron Sur
Like?
In reply to PON307G, Oct 9, 2013

Here's one for a laugh Larry, we had F4E's for 3 years because of delays with the F111C's .

Now the F-111's are gone , everyone here misses the PIG coming in a couple of 100 feet off the deck doing a dump and burn, turning night into daylight. 1 squadron (The fighting first eleven) is based about an hours drive from us. They have F 18 E super hornets now due of the delay with the JSF!  nothing ever changes.

We all agree that a F18E throwing out a bunch of flares is a poor substitute for the PIG dumping several hundred gallons of fuel and lighting its afterburners. 

PON307G
Like?
In reply to Aaron Sur, Oct 9, 2013

Aaron,

Apologies for getting a bit beyond the black stump with your thread. Forgot to say that my wife and I are fans of the Bee Gees, but didn't actually know where they were from.

Heres a portrait of Eddy, our eight year old Shetland taken with my XZ-1. We adopted him last spring from our local Sheltie Rescue Group, he had been neglected for several years, and in bad shape. Quite a character this one is now. He has just passed his Canine Good Citizenship test, and will soon be visiting schools and hospitals in the area.

Eddy at 8 years ever watching for something to herd!

Cheers,

Larry C.

SHELL999
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
In reply to Aaron Sur, Oct 12, 2013

Hi Aaron,

Great photos, I used to live in Bris but now I'm up near Rocky.......I love Moreton Bay.  Going for fish and chips on Sundays.....

great photos, haven't been to Redcliffe since all the Bee Gee's  statue and such was put up.  Will have to make a trip down there one day....:)

Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 850Gear list
Like?
Pleasant to Read, Joy to look

Aaron, as it mentioned its a great thread. Thanks for all.

As a Turkish (who lives in FInland nowadays)  person ANZAC memories are also part of Turkish nationalism (as it is in Australia & N. Zeeland . ( I´ve watched a documentary , there were some ANZAC biscuits even selling today on shops right ?)

Its also get some moments as "gentleman´s war" etc. Its touching all nations hearth no doubt. I also get some info that Russel Crow is working on a new movie, which will based on those days. He is currently in Turkey, and shares a lot via instagram. (as some Turkish newspapers mentioned)

Bee Gees also keep "Staying Alive" in our walkman, CD holder and south there

Thanks to share all mate, keep your XZ-1´s shutter rollin`

Regards

Ben

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Aaron Sur
Like?
Re: Pleasant to Read, Joy to look
In reply to Ben O Connor, Oct 12, 2013

Hi Ben,

thanks for the compliments.Anzac Day is very special for us.

for many years when I used to drive into the city I used to see this WW1 battle tank "abandoned" outside the Queensland museum. Turns out it is the only surviving German A7V sturmpanzerwagen left on the planet and was captured By Australian Soldiers and shipped to Brisbane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mephisto_(tank)

Damaged in the last floods the drongos  have finally woke up to the priceless value of this exhibit and now it is in some secret location being restored.probably sold it for scrap metal I reckon.

cheers

Aaron

Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 850Gear list
Like?
Re: Pleasant to Read, Joy to look

Aaron Sur wrote:

Hi Ben,

thanks for the compliments.Anzac Day is very special for us.

for many years when I used to drive into the city I used to see this WW1 battle tank "abandoned" outside the Queensland museum. Turns out it is the only surviving German A7V sturmpanzerwagen left on the planet and was captured By Australian Soldiers and shipped to Brisbane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mephisto_(tank)

Damaged in the last floods the drongos have finally woke up to the priceless value of this exhibit and now it is in some secret location being restored.probably sold it for scrap metal I reckon.

cheers

Aaron

WW I Tank of Germans?? I remeber the first tank made by Brits, in WW I and there were "male" and "female" versions of them... and thats it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_heavy_tanks_of_World_War_I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCsldbh9hAY

Thanks for the educative posts mate.

Ben

ps: by the way my Grandfather´s father was a soldier in Ottoman Army (back on these days) and he had gone to Yemen. But there is no further info. Dead, wounded.... dead in a prisoner camp from malaria... just no info.  Its very unfortunate for all to loose their precious familiy members and lives at wars, anywhere around the globe. Hence Peace should be appriciated more and more by the survivors. Us mankind,

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads