Olympus sh50

Started Oct 6, 2013 | Discussions
Oswald61
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
Olympus sh50
Oct 6, 2013

I just picked up an Olympus sh50 from Craigslist for a decent price. It's almost brand new, and so far I am impressed. I have owned the Xz1 before, but sold that to get a Canon G1x which I love.

I am enjoying  the magic filters,(I missed the dramatic tone one from my Xz1), and the zoom range is fantastic for a camera that is a similar size to the Xz1 - 25mm to 600mm.The movie mode is incredible, the five axis stabilization works wonderfully. It has a panorama mode that is much like a Sony would have, none of the awkward way you have to use with the Xz1, or even my G1x. So much easier!

It is very much a point and shoot camera, but does have a program/manual mode. The flash pops up, but does not allow you to bounce it like the Xz1 does.

I can fit this camera into a jacket pocket easily, and no problem with cargo shorts as well. It is not that heavy for me at least.

So all in all, a great camera that can do macro, tele macro, and zoom into shots from a distance.

Here ares some quick pics using some of the filters, zoom range, and panorama done in camera. One or two were played with in Snapseed for Pc. The candle shot is Iso3200.

No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 823Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus sh50
In reply to Oswald61, Oct 6, 2013

Nice variety of shots. Thanks for sharing!

 No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,149Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus sh50
In reply to Oswald61, Oct 6, 2013

Thanks for the report and the pictures.

The SH-50 iHS is now listed in New Zealand by parallel importers.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 985
Like?
Re: Olympus sh50
In reply to Oswald61, Oct 7, 2013

Hi Oswald,

Nice set of pics from this compact superzoom , goos application of the art filters too.

what is the 3 axis IS like?

the 25mm wide is definitely a plus on the Oly superzooms, sometimes 28mm on my XZ-1 is simply not wide enough.

Aaron

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,344Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus sh50
In reply to Aaron Sur, Oct 7, 2013

Nice set of images with typical Olympus colors. The SH50 seems to have fallen under the radar of most users and reviewers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,399Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus sh50
In reply to Oswald61, Oct 7, 2013

Nice work.  This is what having a camera on hand is all about.  Thanks for sharing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oswald61
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
Re: Olympus sh50
In reply to Oswald61, Oct 7, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to comment everyone!

I should mention, I have had the camera for just a day and a bit, so still finding what works best with the camera. It helps that I had the Xz1 before I suppose.

I also forgot to mention that the camera has a touch screen, and you can take pics by touching it, or lock the focus and use the shutter button to take the picture. Most of the time I have used the shutter button, as I find it is steadier taking pictures at full zoom.

As for the 3 axis Is, I don't know enough yet to say how well it works. It seems to do the trick, as some of the shots I took were from a moving car. The 5 axis Is used for movies is amazing. I shot several videos from a moving car and I have never seen anything like it from such a small camera. It also takes hi-speed - slow motion video in 720p  that is also another little thing that will come in handy. It only shoots in 20 second bursts with this, but played back the clip goes on for several minutes!

I bought this camera  to use as fun carry around camera, but it has a lot going for it, so I am very pleased with what I have seen at this point.

I wish it had raw, but you can't have everything, as we all know!:-D Hope this helps anyone considering this camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus sh50
In reply to Aaron Sur, Oct 7, 2013

Agreed on tele end complains. Even the XZ-2 has the same angle.

Hopefully not on XZ-3!

 Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,795Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus sh50
In reply to Oswald61, Oct 9, 2013

Do you honestly feel that the Image Quality of the HS50 is better than that of the XZ-1?  I'm not arguing, just asking for your opinion.  I have experienced the XZ-1, but not the HS50.  Thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oswald61
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
Re: Olympus sh50
In reply to BobT, Oct 10, 2013

I don't thinkSh50 is better, and I would never attempt to portray that. At the end of the day, the Xz1 is an advanced point and shoot. The Sh50 is a point and shoot with some features I wanted in a smallish package. Neither of them has a huge sensor like my Canon G1x, so they cannot compete in that sense for my needs.

What the Sh50 has for me are the Olympus colours, the magic filters( I know, some people hate them), incredible video mode with 5 axis Is, and a very useful  25mm-600mm zoom in an Xz1 size package.

Again though, It won't replace an Xz1. The Canon G1x did that for me.

BobT wrote:

Do you honestly feel that the Image Quality of the HS50 is better than that of the XZ-1? I'm not arguing, just asking for your opinion. I have experienced the XZ-1, but not the HS50. Thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oswald61
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
Re: Olympus sh50
In reply to Oswald61, Oct 10, 2013

Here's a few more photos.

I tested out the manual mode, and took some night shots. These were on a tripod and I used the self timer function to prevent shake. I also used the touch focus function on the Lcd. You can use up to 15 seconds for the shutter mode.  Night shots are doable for sure.

Two more shots taken in tele macro and super macro. These are relatively high iso shots due to poor lighting.

I have since discovered that a wired remote that I used on my Xz1 works with the Sh50. I'm glad I kept the remote now! It will help for macro and night shots!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,344Gear list
Like?
Oswald61: Re: Olympus sh50
In reply to Oswald61, Oct 10, 2013

Is the wired remote you use the RM-UC1?  Thanks.

Oswald61 wrote:

I have since discovered that a wired remote that I used on my Xz1 works with the Sh50. I'm glad I kept the remote now! It will help for macro and night shots!

>

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,149Gear list
Like?
SH-50 iHS versus SZ-30MR Night Shots
In reply to Oswald61, Oct 10, 2013

Oswald61 wrote:

Here's a few more photos.

I tested out the manual mode, and took some night shots. These were on a tripod and I used the self timer function to prevent shake. I also used the touch focus function on the Lcd. You can use up to 15 seconds for the shutter mode. Night shots are doable for sure.

Those BSI CMOS sensors have come a long way since the SZ-30MR came out. Here is what I can do with it, on a tripod, in 'Fireworks' SCENE mode only, at 2 seconds -

It is better than what the CCD in my Stylus 9010 gives me, but in this SZ-30MR shot there might be less sharpening and more detail in the dark stone work of the buildings.

I have since discovered that a wired remote that I used on my Xz1 works with the Sh50. I'm glad I kept the remote now! It will help for macro and night shots!

That is worth knowing. Like you, I am using shutter delays right now.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oswald61
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
Re: Oswald61: Re: Olympus sh50
In reply to John McCormack, Oct 10, 2013

No, it's a knock-off from Ebay with the same connector  the Oly one would have. It works well though.

John McCormack wrote:

Is the wired remote you use the RM-UC1? Thanks.

Oswald61 wrote:

I have since discovered that a wired remote that I used on my Xz1 works with the Sh50. I'm glad I kept the remote now! It will help for macro and night shots!

>

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oswald61
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
Re: SH-50 iHS versus SZ-30MR Night Shots
In reply to Henry Falkner, Oct 10, 2013

Nice shot Henry. Yes, I think I will use the remote quite a bit.

Henry Falkner wrote:

Oswald61 wrote:

Here's a few more photos.

I tested out the manual mode, and took some night shots. These were on a tripod and I used the self timer function to prevent shake. I also used the touch focus function on the Lcd. You can use up to 15 seconds for the shutter mode. Night shots are doable for sure.

Those BSI CMOS sensors have come a long way since the SZ-30MR came out. Here is what I can do with it, on a tripod, in 'Fireworks' SCENE mode only, at 2 seconds -

It is better than what the CCD in my Stylus 9010 gives me, but in this SZ-30MR shot there might be less sharpening and more detail in the dark stone work of the buildings.

I have since discovered that a wired remote that I used on my Xz1 works with the Sh50. I'm glad I kept the remote now! It will help for macro and night shots!

That is worth knowing. Like you, I am using shutter delays right now.

Henry

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
calterg
Regular MemberPosts: 457
Like?
poor downsampling
In reply to Oswald61, Oct 11, 2013

Something must have happened during downsampling, the pictures look very poor in quality.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MiroM
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus sh50
In reply to Oswald61, Oct 11, 2013

These are really great results from such a small cam.

 MiroM's gear list:MiroM's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sono1mito
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus sh50
In reply to Oswald61, Oct 11, 2013

Grazie per le immagini,veramente molto belle,a volte non serve comprare cam costose bella prova!ciao

Giovanni

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ross A
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Re: SH-50 iHS versus SZ-30MR Night Shots
In reply to Henry Falkner, Oct 11, 2013

Henry....

Are you retiring the SZ-30MR and purchasing an Olympus SH-50??

Ross

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,149Gear list
Like?
Re: SH-50 iHS versus SZ-30MR Night Shots
In reply to Ross A, Oct 11, 2013

Ross A wrote:

Henry....

Are you retiring the SZ-30MR and purchasing an Olympus SH-50??

Ross

IF I do get the SH-50 iHS (have to discuss that with Sandra), I will RETAIN the SZ-30MR and retire the Stylus 9010, which is basically a VR-340. But the 9010 also has 2GB memory built in, and the SCENE modes still permit EV adjustment. So it does not yet suffer from the ravages of history.

I probably will keep the SP-570UZ as a collector item, because technically it is history.

It uses xD cards up to 2GB only (try and find one now) - and the VGA video has curtain effects with any white subject in daylight. But it is built like a tank, it has knobs for adjusting everything, yet the automatics are nearly as reliable as those in the Stylus 9010. Using spot metering and spot focussing, I got moon shots during 5 second cloud breaks (which the SZ-30MR does now) and I have the external flash FL-36R for the SP-570UZ.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads