I'd like a hypothetical NX30 to be...

Started Oct 6, 2013 | Polls
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,154Gear list
Like?
Re: You should simply switch
In reply to zaurus, Oct 7, 2013

Well, the reasons for staying with that you don't recognize as 'reasons' are of course related to the fact that...I already am in this system.

Btw, it's still a very nice system, one of the best ones (not including galaxy nx, perhaps...) and the only bodies clearly offering more features are the omd-em1 and gx7 (both with smaller senslr and more expensive lenses) and some dslr cameras, most notable the incoming pentax k3 that, size and weight apart, would be my ideal camera.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
arbuz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,677Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd like a hypothetical NX30 to be...
In reply to tecnoworld, Oct 7, 2013

tecnoworld wrote:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#482,318

Not much size difference among omd em1 and nx20. But omd is, imo, looking much better.

2cm on one side, 1cm on the other - there is more difference between NX20 and E-M1 then NX20 and NX1000.

arbuz's gear list:arbuz's gear list
Samsung EX2F Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Samsung NX30 +14 more
zaurus
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
So you want to switch, but you are afraid to lose money [Re: You should simply switch]

tecnoworld wrote:

Well, the reasons for staying with that you don't recognize as 'reasons' are of course related to the fact that...I already am in this system.

Btw, it's still a very nice system, one of the best ones (not including galaxy nx, perhaps...) and the only bodies clearly offering more features are the omd-em1 and gx7 (both with smaller senslr and more expensive lenses) and some dslr cameras, most notable the incoming pentax k3 that, size and weight apart, would be my ideal camera.

So you have no reason staying in the NX system besides being already in the system. And you want to switch to another brand, but you are afraid you'll lose money.

Got it. I suspect many other "traditional" photogs on this forum think the same. It's as if one is married to a brand/system. Personally, I never understood that. These are just tools/toys.

tecnoworld
Like?
Re: So you want to switch, but you are afraid to lose money [Re: You should simply switch]
In reply to zaurus, Oct 7, 2013

If money were not an issue at all, I'd agree with you. Actually, many decisions in everydays life would change if money were not an issue. So you can't base your opinion on a 'utopia'.

That considered, most ppl that are already into a system, if not earning money from photograph, would hesitate to change, unless the advantage of doing that is huge.

A concrete example: if galaxy nx were the way in which the nx system will be developed in the fure and no bodies with traditional controls were available, then in 2 years or so, I'll swap brand. Unti then, I'll hope that a competitive camera comes in the nx line, able to fulfill the needs of more traditional photographers (the vast majority, as sales and market tell).

Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to arbuz, Oct 7, 2013

The side with biggest difference is caused by the grip. None of them is pocketable but both of them are much smaller than any dslr.

I'm not saying that I want nx30 to be big, but I'm saying that I'd accept it to be the same size of omd, if it had the same features.

Arn
Arn
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,499Gear list
Like?
controls are very important, but also AF, EVF and swivel LCD
In reply to jonathanj, Oct 7, 2013

jonathanj wrote:

I picked the GX7 option, as I'd prefer that to a larger, heavier body, but really I'm not bothered about the form factor as long as the ergonomics are good - the camera can fit large and small hands well, doesn't slip easily, has various manual controls that are easily accessible and customisable, and the build quality is good. I like the current NX20 form factor, but I'd rather have a well-build rangefinder design to a bad mini-DSLR design. I don't really need a high-end pro model, and I'd be concerned about price, but I'd rather have to save 6 months for an expensive camera that ticks all the boxes than be able to buy now a cheap camera missing features.

The important thing is controls. The Panasonic Gx series, and as far as I can tell the GH2/3 and GX7 too, all have good accesible physical controls that can be customised. Add a touchscreen by all means, but please don't take away my dials and buttons!

Yes, I prefer a pretty light body, with good ergonomics and controls. Tilt and swivel LCD is a must and for the love of all that is photogenic a good EVF with better diopter adjustment! The loose, constantly changing diopter adjustment is the worst part of NX20 which is otherwise a very fine camera. If the diopter adjustment of the NX30 is as poor, I'll throw a nasty fit. And last but not least, the AF at least on the level of NX300 is required.

So, what the NX30 needs to be is basically the NX20 with improvements in:

• updated sensor
  • improved (phase detetction) AF
  • improved EVF (diopter adj.)

and definitely keep the fantastic tilt and swivel LCD. Also, I'd like AF lock to be implemented the way it is in for example Canon cameras - the press of the button locks AF (this needs to be at least a menu option). For proper manual focus we need focus peaking and distance scale (this is not hard to do and is a must for any photographer, especially landscape photography.

Oh, almost forgot: the fast zooms (for example a 16-50/2.8) and telezooms (70-300) need to be announced along with the camera!

Arn's gear list:Arn's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX20 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
arbuz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,677Gear list
Like?

tecnoworld wrote:

The side with biggest difference is caused by the grip. None of them is pocketable but both of them are much smaller than any dslr.

I'm not saying that I want nx30 to be big, but I'm saying that I'd accept it to be the same size of omd, if it had the same features.

NX20 is jacket pocketable, at least mine. Nevertheless I would not want that Samsung copies features from Olympus together with price, It will be simple way to market disaster. Olympus has a market with some professionals that were waiting for new camera to serve their legacy glass Thus the pro features. Samsung is consumer company and I hope it it will not start charging me for things I don't care about like weather sealing. On the other side if it adds AF speed like Nikon V1 - then I will be delighted.

arbuz's gear list:arbuz's gear list
Samsung EX2F Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Samsung NX30 +14 more
tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to arbuz, Oct 7, 2013

Af speed on nikon1 is helped by the small sensor. Besides, af speed has a lot to do with lenses. My nx300 is very fast focusing with 18-55, 45 and 50-200 lenses, quite fast with 20 and 60 lenses, slow with 30mm, 20-50 and 85 lenses.

Anyway, I agree on price, but some features are really needed by many, like a very good evf and a deeper buffer. Perhaps not many need weather sealing, so that could well justify a price difference.

mathOS
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
Re: controls are very important, but also AF, EVF and swivel LCD
In reply to Arn, Oct 7, 2013

+1

I completely share this opinion.

-- hide signature --
 mathOS's gear list:mathOS's gear list
Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samyang 12mm 1:2.0 NCS CS +5 more
tecnoworld
Like?
Re: controls are very important, but also AF, EVF and swivel LCD
In reply to mathOS, Oct 7, 2013

Me too

tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Oct 8, 2013

Up to now, the majority seems to prefer rangefinder style over mini dslr style. Just 2 users like galaxy nx to be 'nx30'.

Anyone else willing to vote?

NewForce
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?
You should switch
In reply to tecnoworld, Oct 8, 2013

With your many threads expressions about your unhappiness using Samsung NX camera system, sorry and no offence if I say, I'm strongly agree with zaurus and suggest you do a switch to other camera system.

It's sad for me to said so :-(, but think there's no meaning/point for you to continue to stay in a camera system that you're getting more and more frustrations, with Samsung did not make your wish camera. It will only driving you nuts if you choose to stay.

Even if Samsung going to deliver a camera like your wish, with the price tag like a Canon 70D or Nikon D7100, it will just make them switch to Canon and Nikon. Also, it's a no brainer to talk about any Oly or Pana "pro camera" (really?) with the high price tag near Canon 70D or Nikon D7100 region. Both camera makers has deviated highly from their original M43 format design philosophy, smaller and CHEAPER to implement. EM1 and GX7 by all mean was not cheap at all, especially given just the tiny and much inferior M43 sensor.

My point is, under the need to folk-out higher price and Pro brand recognition, most camera enthusiasts will eventually buy themself a Canon or Nikon DSLR camera, if they wanted a real PRO-level feel camera.

As I said it many times before, there is no miracle in Glass-Optics system (ok I've added the Glass word to be more specific), at least for the past 30 years I've saw it myself. Not even with Hasselblad, Leica, Canon or Nikon kind of caliber can do any miracle even if the price was not an issue.

-- hide signature --

Kenny

nx200super
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?
Re: You should switch
In reply to NewForce, Oct 8, 2013

I think Samsung NX 20 / 200/210/300 cameras and it's lens are great value for the money.

I think that's what's being overlooked here. The price / feature ratio of Samsung is hard to beat.

Sure, Samsung could produce the 'perfect' camera but it would come at a higher price. And I'm not sure I'd want to pay a premium price for a premium camera when I am getting a near premium camera for a great price.

nx200super's gear list:nx200super's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS
lol101
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,294Gear list
Like?
Re: So you want to switch, but you are afraid to lose money [Re: You should simply switch]
In reply to zaurus, Oct 9, 2013

zaurus wrote:

So you have no reason staying in the NX system besides being already in the system. And you want to switch to another brand, but you are afraid you'll lose money.

Got it. I suspect many other "traditional" photogs on this forum think the same. It's as if one is married to a brand/system. Personally, I never understood that. These are just tools/toys.

Not afraid to switch but rather liking the direction NX was heading in previous years (excellent small lenses, reasonable prices and good ergonomics).

Galaxy Nx isn't my thing though  so if it's the way of the future for Samsung, I'll be gone iin a heartbeat.

lol101's gear list:lol101's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 1000D Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 6D +13 more
jonathanj
Contributing MemberPosts: 513Gear list
Like?
In reply to lol101, Oct 9, 2013

lol101 wrote:

zaurus wrote:

Not afraid to switch but rather liking the direction NX was heading in previous years (excellent small lenses, reasonable prices and good ergonomics).

Galaxy Nx isn't my thing though so if it's the way of the future for Samsung, I'll be gone iin a heartbeat.

More or less my view, although I will try to stay with the NX20 as long as possible as I have a tendency to spend too much upgrading electronics too often, unnecessarily. I really like the NX system in terms of the lenses and the NX10/20 bodies, and for me there is no obvious switch - if I want to keep an APS-C sensor my personal choice would be between Fuji (significantly higher costs and a very different style of both cameras and pictures) or maybe a Pentax DSLR (larger size). So I would be much happier if Samsung continue to produce non-Galaxy NXs with viewfinders, and much more ready to invest, e.g. in more NX lenses.

jonathanj's gear list:jonathanj's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake +3 more
simontramper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554Gear list
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Oct 9, 2013

Having read with interest to the comments here I would like to wade in with my size tens.
1 I use manual focus so with focus peaking I'm happy.
2 I don't care about image stabilization as I use mainly a tripod failing that control your beathing.
3 A sensor upgrade from the NX300 would be nice.
4 Would like a better processing engine.
5 Faster buffer would be nice.
I have invested money in the nx system and have nothing but good things to say about it. Plus the images I get out of my NX200 ate astounding considering how cheap it is. I have afriend with a sony A99 and a CZ lens and I am not far behind him in images produced . So come on samsung keep up the good work .

simontramper's gear list:simontramper's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +9 more
de_klaas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,301Gear list
Like?
In reply to nx200super, Oct 9, 2013

nx200super wrote:

I think Samsung NX 20 / 200/210/300 cameras and it's lens are great value for the money.

I think that's what's being overlooked here. The price / feature ratio of Samsung is hard to beat.

At least for lenses that's true, but as for the cameras it's a bit more complicated. Imo the msrp at launch is pretty high. After a while the prices drop and the cameras become more or less bargains. Of course that’s true for other brands as well but the difference is that Samsung has not yet established itself as a serious camera company. They seem to be trying to by releasing pretty serious cameras at pretty serious prices but so far this strategy hasn’t gained them much market share. The price fighter strategy may work better for them. After all that’s how Korean cars gained a nice market share: offering just a little less quality for a considerably lower price. It seems however that Samsung, being the electronics giant they are and leader in other markets, doesn’t want to take that route…

Sure, Samsung could produce the 'perfect' camera but it would come at a higher price. And I'm not sure I'd want to pay a premium price for a premium camera when I am getting a near premium camera for a great price.

For me, it doesn't have to be perfect, but they could easily produce a better camera that wouldn't break the bank. They already own a lot of the technology that's needed for that (bigger, faster buffer, EVF) but they seems reluctant to use it. Instead they release things like the NX300M....

de_klaas's gear list:de_klaas's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Samsung NX1000 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to NewForce, Oct 9, 2013

Kenny, as said before I have a big investment (for me) in nx lenses that could not ne sold even at half price.

So I see nothing bad in trying to suggest a direction to samsung to avoid killing nx system. As you see by the other replies, most of the ppl are willing for updates in the 'traditiona' direction.

Besides, as yourself pointed out, there is nit a perfect camera. Right now, the Pentax K3 has the perfect set of features for me, but it's a big dslr and I don't want to go with that kind if tools. If they make a k-02 correcting the pst errors and implementing the sensor and features of k3, they could have a big winner.

But again, it would be very painfukl to me having to invest a big amount of money in a new set of primes.

So, as I already said, I'll stay with nx300 as long as:

1) samsung makes a decent camera with evf (with physical controls, decent buffer at least on par with ALL the other competitors, possibly an upgraded sensor from nx300)

2) if 1) does not happen in few years and other manufacturers create the perfect mirrorless for my needs

In the meantime, I'll point out every weakpoint I find in current nx line, so to help samsung to choose a wise direction (and this poll proves that galaxy nx is NOT the right direction).

AussieArchie
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Oct 9, 2013

For me, id like to see the nx30 just improve on the nx20. I like to see a new sensor and faster AF. If they do that i would definitely get an nx30. Having said that, im waiting on my nx300 to be sent to me now and it has everything im looking for, save the EVF and articulated swivel screen. I know some people dont like those screens, but i find them really helpful in all lighting situations and for awkward angle shots.

tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to AussieArchie, Oct 9, 2013

The tiltable screen is really nice. If you can live with a tiny buffer and w/o an evf, the nx300 is very nice.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads