I'd like a hypothetical NX30 to be...

Started Oct 6, 2013 | Polls
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,154Gear list
Like?
I'd like a hypothetical NX30 to be...
Oct 6, 2013

Who knows, perhaps samsung will listen to such a poll

My requests: whatever form factor, better rangefinder, with big buffer, ibis, new sensor.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
POLL
Similar to oly omd-e1 (mini dslr style, weather sealed body, glorious evf, pro level)
31.6% 18  votes
Similar to pana gx7 (rangefinder style, very good evf, high/midrange level)
50.9% 29  votes
Galaxy NX is my ideal NX30!
3.5% 2  votes
None of the above (please post your ideas)
14.0% 8  votes
  Show results
jonathanj
Contributing MemberPosts: 513Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd like a hypothetical NX30 to be...
In reply to tecnoworld, Oct 7, 2013

I picked the GX7 option, as I'd prefer that to a larger, heavier body, but really I'm not bothered about the form factor as long as the ergonomics are good - the camera can fit large and small hands well, doesn't slip easily, has various manual controls that are easily accessible and customisable, and the build quality is good. I like the current NX20 form factor, but I'd rather have a well-build rangefinder design to a bad mini-DSLR design. I don't really need a high-end pro model, and I'd be concerned about price, but I'd rather have to save 6 months for an expensive camera that ticks all the boxes than be able to buy now a cheap camera missing features.

The important thing is controls. The Panasonic Gx series, and as far as I can tell the GH2/3 and GX7 too, all have good accesible physical controls that can be customised. Add a touchscreen by all means, but please don't take away my dials and buttons!

jonathanj's gear list:jonathanj's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tecnoworld
Like?

I would have liked the ppl picking 'none of the above' to comment on their ideas in this thread...

Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
targut
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?

I have selected none of the above though I was tempted to choose the Panasonic GX7. However, the chunky design of the GX7 seems for me to be not the best possible solution. Maybe the coming Panasonic mini?

About features. I wish I had in my NX:

• AF of the OM-D or Nikon 1
  • silent shutter mode, let it be electronic shutter
  • really usable burst mode
  • IBIS
  • something for a photographer that other cameras do not have! And this is not the WIFI integration.

That's it. My NX300 has everything else that I need already.

targut's gear list:targut's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung NX2000 Fujifilm X-A1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to targut, Oct 7, 2013

I understand what you mean about GX7, but my intention was to describe the form factor and marketing "positioning". Saying OMD-EM1 I mean mini DSLR form factor 'pro level' as features and build quality. Saying GX7 I mean rangefinder form factor positioned at a high level, with good build quality and features.

So in your case selecting the GX7 option was probably the best thing, IMHO.

As to the IBIS; that could be a very important distinguishing feature for Samsung. It would be the one and only APS-C mirrorless (now that K-01 is discontinued) to implement it. Samsung should/could team up with Pentax for that.

Thomas Wieser
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?

I want the NX30 as an NX20 with sensor of NX300.

Thomas

-- hide signature --
 Thomas Wieser's gear list:Thomas Wieser's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX30 +7 more
tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to Thomas Wieser, Oct 7, 2013

the sensor in NX300 is actually not that much different from the one in NX20. If you look at DxO mark syte, the difference is subtle. The biggest technological change is on sensor pdaf, but the real advantage of this is yet to be prooved.

The biggest improvements are in processing power (CPU, dedicated chip) and in extra features (touch screen and touch functionalities in general, focus peaking).

A lot of things are missing both from NX20 and NX300 to be considered interesting by ppl coming from other systems. E.g. a top in class EVF (the one in NX20 is "average" or even "lower than average" for today's standards), a competitive buffer (as I mention in another thread, all the other competitors have much bigger buffers), possibly IBIS and weather sealing.

simontramper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554Gear list
Like?
In reply to Thomas Wieser, Oct 7, 2013

I want the NX30 as an NX20 with sensor of NX300.

Thomas

-- hide signature --

We are hoping the NX30 will habe a sensor upgrade above the NX300

simontramper's gear list:simontramper's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +9 more
targut
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?

Sure. Possibly, some people at Samsung do read this board. But I personally estimate the influence of these "feature requests" in a DPR forum upon the future Samsung camera as not deciding. As in any huge company, they should have too many other compromises to meet.

targut's gear list:targut's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung NX2000 Fujifilm X-A1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
jonathanj
Contributing MemberPosts: 513Gear list
Like?
In reply to targut, Oct 7, 2013

And also I suspect the product development lifecycle is longer than most people credit. Even if they read these boards, and listen to the feedback, and convince the finance guys to fund development of the features we're asking for, they won't make it in until the NX50...Something like OM-D E-M5 class IBIS, for example, isn't going to appear overnight.

But hey, might as well ask, right?

jonathanj's gear list:jonathanj's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake +3 more
NewForce
Senior MemberPosts: 1,244
Like?

Hi tecnoworld,

Your poll options was so limited, so leave me no choice but to choose only the "None of the above" option.

Yes, I've believed that Samsung was always listening to it customers, that's why they release NX300, Galaxy Camera and Galaxy NX Camera.

As NX300 user yourself, you've already know it come with plenty of improvements, but Samsung still keeping it the same price like last year NX210 it replaces.

Let me re-cap about NX300 improvements over NX210. It come with new,

Iin-chip phase detection combined with contrast hybrid AF for fast AF, More 105 points (Phase Detection AF), 247 points (Contrast AF) AF points, 8.6fps high speed burst shots, DRIMeIV image processor, higher ISO speed, larger & higher resolution 3.3" Tiltable AMOLED touch screen, Touch & shoot, Focus peaking, Higher speed shutter mechanism, Battery charging with laptop/PC USB port or with mobile power bank.

There's many more to go, but what my main objective about the NX300 recap was, given the plenty improvements and same price, you can't ask Samsung for more.

Now back to your topic.

For Olympus,

• My father and I has owned many Oly 35mm SLR camera like OM1, OM2, OM3, OM4, OM10, OM20, OM30, OM40 & many lenses in the past. All of them are considered good, by 35mm camera standard. However, for today Oly newer DSLR, they are way too old fashion by any new and modern DSLR design standard.
  • Also by sticking with only M43 format DSLM, they've shot themself on both feets and nailed them on the same ground with not much of advancement in the future, unless they adopt bigger APS-C or FF format sensor. That's the reason most of their advance customers has swtiched camp to Canon and Nikon, or still keeping a M43 camera for spare/backup camera only.
  • No, less desire EVF, bigger buffer and IBIS will not help Olympus out much from their current fraud scandals and finance crisis. At least 90% amateur camera users don't care or don't benefit anything from the 3 features. Mind you, IBIS was not without trouble and they will bring more mechanism failure and maintenance issue than benefit in long term usage. I say no what you've said Oly "Pro level", I don't feel any at all. Maybe "Classic feel" but definitely not "Pro level feel".

For Pana GX7,

• The high price for tiny sensor, off-center axis rangefinder design and the poor & horrible EVF already make it a less desire mini DSLR, and that's a full stop from me.

For Galaxy NX,

• As it was a 1st generation Android OS based DSLM, there's more improvements to go. So I'll give it a past.

tecnoworld, I have seen many of your post talking about you "Like", "Wish" & "Want" camera. What I can suggest and provide advice to you was, "There will be no perfect camera in this world." It's like, I like MF or even FF camera OVF and those fast lenses IQ, but I will not cave in for the much heavy weight and it less portability outdoor, not to mention I won't folk-out big money just for the camera body alone. Maybe I'll get one FF camera, if the body price was below US$1500.

Last but not least,

• With today corporate finance control standard and share holders reporting structure, no corporate can do what they "Like or Wanted" just by their wish. That's why sometime we've see people been ousted from a corporate, like Steve Jobs for instance, he's ousted from Apple back in 80's.

One having his/her wish list was fine. One can fulfilled the wish list all by himself/herself was even great. A wish list to be fulfill by other is all different story.

So take care and take it easy my friends.

-- hide signature --

Kenny

tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to NewForce, Oct 7, 2013

thx Kenny for your post. I know that there is no such thing as a perfect camera, like there is not a perfect car or not a perfect house.

But there could be something approaching perfection in a given time. For example, NX300 is almost perfect for me now (except for the famous buffer issue), but I feel it won't be anymore in few months, since I'll desire more and more a real (and good) EVF. I can live w/o it for most shots, but there are more and more situations in which I'd like to have the option to use it. The tiltable screen is great, but can't substitute 100% a good EVF. As already said, the EVF in NX20 is not the best, perhaps not even "average" for today's standards. Samsung needs to develop a new EVF on par or better than Olympus OMD-EM1, which is really good.

So I think there is nothing bad or wrong in trying to be listened by a big company, especially when the advice could actually improve the perception that customers have about the company itself.

There are still many features lacking in the NX lines and I (as many) are willing to stay with this system, given the investment in lenses. So it's legit to hope that incoming models will implement the missing features (instead of going some 'bad' routes, like getting rid of physical controls).

tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to jonathanj, Oct 7, 2013

You could actually be partially right. I remember that once I read about developing CPU by Intel. They said that, when a CPU gets on the market, Intel was already developing the third generation after that specific CPU (meaning that 2 other generations were already developed and ready to be manufactured).

I don't know how/if this applies also to cameras. I rather think this is true for sensors. For acamera as a whole I rather think that a company has to take decisione based on the competition and the customers needs. So perhaps, by seeing how much OMD-EM1 is successfull and praised by customers (just see how many posts here devoted to it) Samsung can still understand that they need to do something similar to it. The same applies to GX7, which has a great form factor and nice performance.

So if NX30 is due in - say - 6 to 12 months from now, Samsung can still make some adjustments to the original project to meed customers' needs.

Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but perhaps not Take this as a free marketing poll for Samsung

arbuz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,664Gear list
Like?

What about form facor like NX20? Not as bug as E-M1 but DSLR style with proper grip? I don't care about weather sealing etc, so for me DSLR style does not need mean big body like E-M1 or Galaxy NX.

arbuz's gear list:arbuz's gear list
Samsung EX2F Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Samsung NX30 +14 more
tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to arbuz, Oct 7, 2013

http://camerasize.com/compare/#482,318

Not much size difference among omd em1 and nx20. But omd is, imo, looking much better.

zaurus
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
You should simply switch

Whoever voted for the first two options -- you folks should simply switch brands, if the features listed are so important to you.

m43 has pretty much the same picture quality with the new Sony sensors. m43 has way bigger lens selection. It has IBIS, weather sealing, mini-DSLR and rangefinder form factors, extensive flash range including wireless flash, etc.

If you want the body to be that much like the other offerings -- what is it that keeps you folks with Samsung? Really? For a "traditional," old fart photographer m43 or even Sony NEX is clearly way, way better suited.

I have switched to NX because it is different and matches exactly my needs. I shoot events and I travel, I blog and post online and in (closed) social networks. The fast seamless workflow, upgrades and connectivity thanks to Android is critical for me. So is the availability of just a couple of unique lenses for my type of shooting, most importantly the 85/1.4. The unique "smart" hot shoe ED-EM10 mike and ED-SEF220 flash which I'll buy soon will suit me perfectly. I like the Galaxy NX as a system because it provides a clear upgrade path S4 Zoom -> Galaxy Camera -> Galaxy NX.

There it is -- I have switched because NX is different, not because it is a rehash of the same old and mindlessly apes somebody else. I have very clear, specific reasons to switch to and be with NX.

If you don't -- you should definitely switch away from NX.

tecnoworld
Like?
Re: You should simply switch
In reply to zaurus, Oct 7, 2013

Why did I choose nx 2 years ago?

1) traditional body with lots of physical controls

2) nice pancakes at nice prices

3) good/very good iq

4) nx100 with optional evf and nx10/11 with integrated evf

So a very good start, that for some features has been very well developed (bringing to the nx300) for other has gone back. Nx200 and nx300: no optional evf. Nx20: very slow operations. Galaxy nx: no physical controls. All models: tiny buffer, no competitive evf, no ibis.

Why am I staying with nx as of now?

1) very good iq

2) investment in lenses (not willing to spend on other systems now that I spent on nx and I would not take even half money from selling nx parts)

3) great bokeh with 85 f1.4 (what m4/3 can do that in your opinion???)

4) nice with legacy lenses (focus peaking + magnification with nx300).

zaurus
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?

tecnoworld wrote:

Why did I choose nx 2 years ago?

1) traditional body with lots of physical controls

2) nice pancakes at nice prices

3) good/very good iq

4) nx100 with optional evf and nx10/11 with integrated evf

m43 had all of this, and more, 2 years ago -- I speak from personal experience. Still, you made a reasonable choice

So a very good start, that for some features has been very well developed (bringing to the nx300) for other has gone back. Nx200 and nx300: no optional evf. Nx20: very slow operations. Galaxy nx: no physical controls. All models: tiny buffer, no competitive evf, no ibis.

That might be correct, but it is a result of Samsung trying to repeat as a monkey what others have done. Luckily recently Samsung got to their senses and started something new and different with the Galaxy line where their strength is -- a marriage of electronics and photography.

Why am I staying with nx as of now?

1) very good iq

Same as Sony, Fuji and m43, so no reason.

2) investment in lenses (not willing to spend on other systems now that I spent on nx and I would not take even half money from selling nx parts)

That is irrelevant, although I feel sorry for you. Remember cameras and lenses are not an investment (which investment depreciates with time?), but a pure expense.

3) great bokeh with 85 f1.4 (what m4/3 can do that in your opinion???)

I might give you that one only, although the Olympus 75/1.8 is pretty close.

4) nice with legacy lenses (focus peaking + magnification with nx300).

Same with Sony and latest Panasonic, so no reason.

de_klaas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,301Gear list
Like?
In reply to zaurus, Oct 7, 2013

zaurus wrote:

Whoever voted for the first two options -- you folks should simply switch brands, if the features listed are so important to you.

If the current models were very different from those first 2 options that suggestion would make sense. Since the NX20 is pretty close to them I don't see the logic behind your suggestion. You seem to think that Samsung has abandonded their more traditional line of cameras and that all futeure models will be diefferent like the Galaxy NX is different. I don't see any reason to assume that.

Besides that, I have some nice NX lenses and I would most certainly loose money when I'd switch to another brand. Partly because the resale value of NX lenses is not very good and partly because equivalent lenses are more expensive for other systems.

de_klaas's gear list:de_klaas's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Samsung NX1000 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Mr.NoFlash
Senior MemberPosts: 2,204Gear list
Like?
I prefer: soon, with a battery grip

I chose the "like Gx7" option but also the SLR-type option is ok. Weather sealing and super-super-EVF are not important for me.

Whats more important for me is:

* Good would be to have the camera soon - Samsung currently has no real camera with EVF: Only the "smartphone" ( Galaxy NX ) and the now old NX20 ( without the new technology in the Nx300 ). The "Smartphone Nx" is nice but nt for everyone.

* I would like to have an optional battery grip, so that the camera is either smaller or can really shoot many many images with one battery ( grip ). Best would be the battery grip with 2x18650 Lithium cells or 6* C-type NiMH  cells so one can buy those immediately ( without ordering) in many electronic-articles-shops.

-- hide signature --

cheers
Mr.NoFlash

Mr.NoFlash's gear list:Mr.NoFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Leica Digilux 3 Samsung NX300
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads