D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)

Started Oct 6, 2013 | Discussions
Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: To nobody in particular......
In reply to Prairie Pal, Oct 7, 2013

Prairie Pal wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

And what's up with the macho language like "shoot" and "glass." "I shoot a D700" ??

and I tend to avoid tired, over-used terms like "tack sharp" (is there no other way of describing a sharp image?)

Or my favorite; "arsenal". "My arsenal consists of... blah blah blah"
One that I'm guilty of is "capture", as in "nice capture dude". Is everyone so afraid to use every day common words like "picture"? "Nice pictures dude".

I don't think it is meant to be macho, but to give value to the banal. Here are my examples:

"Image created by"

Snagged, as in "I snagged myself a D300" when they mean bought.

Crank up, as in "I cranked up the ISO"

"D800 does New York", when they mean "here's some cheesy tourist shots of New York which could have been taken with a compact camera but I used an expensive pro camera and for some reason that makes them worth displaying in public".

Incoming, used on some forums when someone buys something.

-- hide signature --

Ivan

-- hide signature --

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vortex09
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
Re: D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)
In reply to TOF guy, Oct 7, 2013

Looks like the existence of a D610 is becoming more questionable by the hour at this point.

I've already bought two F-mount lenses in preparation to switch from Canon. I was prepared to buy a D600, but after going through two refurbished copies, couldn't find one without a pronounced oil/dust problem (so the retailer canceled my order). If the D610 is a figment of everyone's imagination, I don't know what I'll do.

Not to state the completely obvious, but man, what an opportunity Nikon missed by botching the D600. I can't imagine I'm the only one who'd have snapped it up in a heartbeat for its amazing sensor without the defect -- which IS real and IS widespread.

vortex09's gear list:vortex09's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D610 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,606
Like?
In reply to vortex09, Oct 7, 2013

Nikon's sole reason for existence is to jerk the chains of the members of DPReview. You watch, it was just a rumor after all! All you D600 owners, go back to your caves and continue your bitchin' and moanin'. 

PeterTX
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
In reply to vortex09, Oct 7, 2013

Just curious, which Canon model are you switching from an why?

PeterTX's gear list:PeterTX's gear list
Olympus E-M1
jintoku
Regular MemberPosts: 440Gear list
Like?
I guess Nikon changed their minds
In reply to PeterTX, Oct 8, 2013

Seems like the announcement date came and passed.

Probably Nikon still has D600 stock they need to sell.

Or they decided the D610 would be too embarrassing given that it's essentially a "fixed D600"?

jintoku's gear list:jintoku's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
andreswm
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: I guess Nikon changed their minds
In reply to jintoku, Oct 8, 2013
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,853Gear list
Like?
dslr magazine is first with the announcement
In reply to TOF guy, Oct 8, 2013

http://www.dslrmagazine.com/digital/camaras-reflex-monoculares-digitales/nikon-d610-mejorando-la-d600.html

Waiting for the official announcement.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
aarif
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,828Gear list
Like?
Re: dslr magazine is first with the announcement
 aarif's gear list:aarif's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D3S Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D600 +1 more
vortex09
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
In reply to PeterTX, Oct 8, 2013

PeterTX wrote:

Just curious, which Canon model are you switching from an why?

6D. Dynamic range at low ISO is unacceptable for my workflow, given the alternatives that exist in this day and age. When I briefly used the D600s before returning them, working with the RAW files was like a paradigm-changing experience. The 6D has better build quality, more features, and access to a lens lineup that's more complete and cheaper on balance. But the sensor weakness is too much to ignore for a landscape shooter like myself.

vortex09's gear list:vortex09's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D610 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
Radu Tenenbaum
Senior MemberPosts: 2,850Gear list
Like?
Link's gone - Error 404 (nt)
-- hide signature --

Radu
www.raduray.com

Radu Tenenbaum's gear list:Radu Tenenbaum's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +17 more
Ronan_M
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?
In reply to Leif Goodwin, Oct 8, 2013

Leif Goodwin wrote:

"D800 does New York", when they mean "here's some cheesy tourist shots of New York which could have been taken with a compact camera but I used an expensive pro camera and for some reason that makes them worth displaying in public".

Incoming, used on some forums when someone buys something.

-- hide signature --

Ivan

-- hide signature --

clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,266
Like?
In reply to Fogsville, Oct 8, 2013

It's a 7d, not a D700, but they shoot it in this video. I mean really, they actually shoot it!

Starting at around 7:30 of the video...

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Nikon's Answer
In reply to Alan Brown, Oct 8, 2013

Alan Brown wrote:

MarkJH wrote:

Cleaning a sensor is, at best, a dangerous chore. I have yet to meet a photographer who enjoys doing it.

dangerous.... as in crossing the road?

why would you choose such a word to describe cleaning?

curious.

Alan, I'll let Nikon explain my word choice for me.

Both the D7000 and D700 users' manuals discuss sensor cleaning with the same unambiguous language:

"Dirt that can not be removed with a blower can only be removed by Nikon-authorized service personnel.  Under no circumstances should you touch or wipe the sensor."

It's "dangerous" because Nikon explicitly, unambiguously says you shouldn't do it.

Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,830Gear list
Like?
i'm aware of the manual.. i'm interested in what
In reply to MarkJH, Oct 8, 2013

MarkJH wrote:

Alan Brown wrote:

MarkJH wrote:

Cleaning a sensor is, at best, a dangerous chore. I have yet to meet a photographer who enjoys doing it.

curious.

Both the D7000 and D700 users' manuals discuss sensor cleaning with the same unambiguous language:

"Dirt that can not be removed with a blower can only be removed by Nikon-authorized service personnel. Under no circumstances should you touch or wipe the sensor."

It's "dangerous" because Nikon explicitly, unambiguously says you shouldn't do it.

you think personally about it.

i.e. is this what you do, send it to Nikon for cleaning?

Nikon Japan sell a cleaning kit with instructional CD. http://shop.nikon-image.com/front/ProductPSP00052.do

I think dangerous is the wrong word here; use caution would be good advice. Heck you can do a lot damage with that unrelenting (hard) pointy thing, a blower, if poked around without care yet; this is promoted in the manual and no precautionary tale attached to it.

You know as well as I, there are plenty of users, on this and other fora, cleaning sensors regularly without the catastrophy you imply.

Alan

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,853Gear list
Like?
As you know it is now official
 TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Molly, you in danger, girl!

Alan Brown wrote:

MarkJH wrote:

Alan Brown wrote:

MarkJH wrote:

curious.

"Dirt that can not be removed with a blower can only be removed by Nikon-authorized service personnel. Under no circumstances should you touch or wipe the sensor."

you think personally about it.

?

I think "cleaning a sensor is, at best, a dangerous chore."

i.e. is this what you do, send it to Nikon for cleaning?

If I find "dirt that cannot be removed with a blower."

Nikon Japan sell a cleaning kit with instructional CD. http://shop.nikon-image.com/front/ProductPSP00052.do

Good for Nikon Japan. I bought my cameras from Nikon USA, and they have to be serviced by Nikon USA. Which means that if they arrive with a sensor filter scratch (or whatever could happen if I do what they specifically tell me not to do) it'll be Nikon USA's service policy I'll be dealing with. The measure of that policy is crystal clear:

"Under no circumstances should you touch or wipe the sensor."

I.e., you're SoL if you did.

I think dangerous is the wrong word here; use caution would be good advice. Heck you can do a lot damage with that unrelenting (hard) pointy thing, a blower, if poked around without care yet; this is promoted in the manual and no precautionary tale attached to it.

You talk about using a blower as though you were an info-mercial actor--you know, the kind of guy who can't pour cereal into a bowl and therefore needs "magic-bowl!" (limited time offer!)

You also forget that the Nikon manual(s) *do* include a "precautionary tale," in the form of specific illustrations showing both how one ought to hold the camera during the recommended cleaning procedure (mirror-box down) and how one ought to position the blower (never inside the mirror box, never beyond the plane of the lens mount).

You know as well as I, there are plenty of users, on this and other fora, cleaning sensors regularly without the catastrophy you imply.

I don't know that. I don't know that at all.

I know that there are plenty of users who think they can do so, who say they can do so, and who may or may not know jack about what they're actually doing or risking. How would anyone really know?

Let's say that "NikonFan99" tells us it's all OK, no big deal to swab those sensors day and night. Cool. But then I would be taking advice from a guy whose "qualification," here, is that he liked his defective $2000 camera so much he bought another one, which was also defective. I'd call that "exhibit A" in the general case that "plenty of users, on this and other fora," do all kinds of things I wouldn't want to do, myself.

Meanwhile, there's unambiguous instruction from the people who designed and built the camera: "Under no circumstances should you touch or wipe the sensor." I don't struggle to interpret "under no circumstances."

Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,830Gear list
Like?
I think you're in denial and run out of ideas..

talk a boyut MarkJH wrote:

Alan Brown wrote:

MarkJH wrote:

You really think that all of the pros on this forum who say that they clean their sensors before an important shoot, do not clean really do it.. they are just lying...?

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,998
Like?
Re: Molly, you in danger, girl!

Truth is that you're not actually cleaning the sensor itself so it's not such a delicate operation as you might think. You're only cleaning the filter in front of the sensor.

Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
Re: I think you're in denial and run out of ideas..

Yes we are all lying. I hope Nicholas from copper hill images jumps in and lets him know that I buy supplies from him. Maybe he can email nicholas and get over his fear about how to clean the sensor correctly.

It is not rocket science, not dangerous if you do it the way you are told to and actually a lot less time consuming compared to stalking the d600 forum when you dont own one and posting about a race you dont have a dog in.

Most working professionals that I have met know how to clean a sensor and do it regularly when they cant ship off gear for a week or more at time. My spouse that ran a portrait studio was cleaning camera sensors in the original canon digital release days and it was a requirement for the staff to be trained in how to do it. Perhaps some research on the copper hill images would help get him over the danger.

Much like honda tells you to leave all service to a professional, they also know some people can change oil themselves. It is called covering your own butt as a manufacturer.

They also dont do it for free forever do they? Nikon makes a profit from providing the service.

Sensors get dirty. some more some less. Companies like photographic solutions even warranty that the product will not damage a sensor if you follow the process.

http://photosol.com/our-guarantee/

We don't have mass reports of damaged AA filters after a cleaning do we? I for one learned the skill and dont see DANGER!

Some options are:

-Sell your D600 at a $700-$1000 loss because of dust.

-Pay nikon or a shop for every cleaning.

-Keep shipping nikon your d600 and have them take it apart and replace the shutter over and over.

-Clean the sensor responsibly as needed and in the very rare case that you damage your AA filter, it costs $650 to have it replaced.

Again not sure why for someone that currently does not own a D600, he is so involved with every negative nikon bashing thread?

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
On Denial.

Alan Brown wrote:

MarkJH wrote:

Alan Brown wrote:

MarkJH wrote:

You really think that all of the pros on this forum who say that they clean their sensors before an important shoot, do not clean really do it.. they are just lying...?

Here's what I don't know:

(1) that all the people who say that they're "pros" on this an other fora are actually "pros."

(2) that being a self-identified "pro" on an internet forum qualifies one to know more than the manufacturer about a given topic.

(3) that none of the people "who say that they clean their sensors before an important shoot" ever damage their equipment in the process of doing so.

I don't think that "they are just lying."  I think that there's no way to know what they're actually doing or who they are, or how successful they are at doing it, either in the short term or the long term.

So, what am I in denial of?  Because denial, Alan Brown, sounds, to me, like pretending that one does or can know

(1) that all the people who say that they're "pros" on internet fora actually are;

(2) that being a self identified "pro" means that someone knows more than the equipment manufacturer about a given topic on the equipment; and

(3) that all the people "who say that they clean their sensors before an important shoot" do so successfully, without issue.

Denial?  You're the one who's suggesting clear, specific instruction ("under no circumstances") should be disregarded in favor of advice from a bunch of self-identifying people you don't know and won't ever meet--people whose photographic product you'll never see.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads