D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)

Started Oct 6, 2013 | Discussions
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,005
Like?
Re: To nobody in particular......
In reply to Simon Garrett, Oct 7, 2013

Yes, instead of using tired old clichés like that, we should all make more effort to think outside of the box.:-)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rbrt
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?
Tic toc, tic toc....
In reply to TOF guy, Oct 7, 2013

The business day ends in Japan right about now...

Rbrt's gear list:Rbrt's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,065Gear list
Like?
Re: To nobody in particular......
In reply to John Motts, Oct 7, 2013

John Motts wrote:

Yes, instead of using tired old clichés like that, we should all make more effort to think outside of the box.:-)

Yes, yes - we should be looking for a quantum leap to a new paradigm to be at the epicentre of Photography 2.0.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
anirbana
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Re: Tic toc, tic toc....
In reply to Rbrt, Oct 7, 2013

Rbrt wrote:

Do they usually announce a new release by close of business or early in the day?

anirbana's gear list:anirbana's gear list
Nikon D600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
Re: Friend just got one for $500
In reply to Shotcents, Oct 7, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

Petruska wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

rubicon wrote:

Maybe by D640, I'll have my faith restored in Nikon?? Love my D700, works just as advertised, and no oil changes needed same weather sealing as D3, sorry I'll pass.

Now let the flames begin.

Rubicon:

Ker-SLAP! That's the sound of Nikon slapping D600 owners with a new version of the camera WITHOUT the oil problems.

Some of us got slapped almost as hard with the release of the SB910 flash, which fixed SB900 issues and left those owners upset and selling on Craigslist. My buddy picked up a D600 on Friday for 800 bucks and someone has another one on craigs (in NY) for 700 dollars.

I don't want one for free. (Okay, MAYBE for free!

Robert

Oh, your buddy did, huh? Sorry, I don't believe it. No offense.

Not offended, just check the Craigslist Philly listings. The D600 is still listed for 700.00 and you can at least believe half of what I'm saying.

The D600 will sell cheap now.

Robert

with the kit lens off Craigslist in notheast PA, the previous owners wanted more of a P&S, the D600 wasn't for them....his gain.

And there was another D600 on Craigs this morning that claimed it had a "repaired shutter and no oil issue." He was asking 750.00. The listing is gone. Probably sold it fast.

At these prices I'd suspect something fishy - especially since they could get considerably more from KEH and other dealers.

I'd take a good D700 over the D600.

Robert

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,674
Like?
In reply to anirbana, Oct 7, 2013

I just read an update of the specs on the D610:

1)  11 focus points, to keep it less confusing

2)  Less weather sealing, for weight savings

3)  Guaranteed "oily" sensor, just so there's no guessing as to what those annoying spots are

4)  Alternating back focus and front focus errors

5)  Starting list price of $2400, body only

6)  Issues!

That's all for now.

aarif
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,839Gear list
Like?
D600 + D800 divide by 2 = D700
 aarif's gear list:aarif's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D3S Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D600 +1 more
CFynn
Like?
In reply to anirbana, Oct 7, 2013

anirbana wrote:

Rbrt wrote:

Do they usually announce a new release by close of business or early in the day?

The rumour was that the announcement would be on the 7th or 8th - so perhaps tomorrow. Anyway, allowing for time differences, DPR usually puts these things on the front page pretty well as soon as they happen.

However, given the reasons Nikon seem to be producing this camera, they might not make a big announcement. If they held a press conference there might be a lot of embarrassing questions - so maybe the announcement will be very low key.

Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Like?
Re: D600 + D800 divide by 2 = D700
In reply to aarif, Oct 7, 2013

aarif wrote:

just put the D600 sensor in a D800 body and most of us will be happy I guess

I'm already happy with the D800 sensor in the D800 body.

Rbrt
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?
In reply to CFynn, Oct 7, 2013

CFynn wrote:

anirbana wrote:

Rbrt wrote:

The rumour was that the announcement would be on the 7th or 8th - so perhaps tomorrow. Anyway, allowing for time differences, DPR usually puts these things on the front page pretty well as soon as they happen.

However, given the reasons Nikon seem to be producing this camera, they might not make a big announcement. If they held a press conference there might be a lot of embarrassing questions - so maybe the announcement will be very low key.

You're probably right, but any announcement at all would get a pretty high profile here.

Rbrt's gear list:Rbrt's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
anirbana
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?

Nikon has to address two important things with the D610 if it is not just a rumour.

1. Demonstrate that the dust / oil issue is fixed - indirect or direct claim that is enough to convince buyers

2. Compete with 6D where people can appreciate the advantages of the features that makes D600/D610 better in paper than 6D and not worry about dust/oil

And to do these two they must price it well - For UK say around £1500 new to start with. A new 6D costs less than £1300 with cash back. People married to Nikon system will find that price point perfect as long as the worry on dust is gone.

For converts and new owners, £1500 could be a good balance between price and features.

A new D800 costs £1949 in UK hence D610 cannot be released at the £1975 price point which was the D600 price at release .

It is becoming a waiting game...

I am not really interested with GPS and Wifi. Just a good full frame Nikon a nudge below the mighty D800. The D600's sensor is already awesome, so just a bit of quality control would be nice.

Would be glad if they add 51pt AF, ,1/8000 shutter speed and a 1/250 sync speed and price it another £200 more, but it would be close to the D800 price and not sure if Nikon would do that as a business.

I have 3 FX lenses (50mm F1.8G, 85 mm F1.8G and tamron 70-300 VC) and a D5100. On upgrading, I would keep the D5100 as backup.

Bring it on Nikon.

anirbana's gear list:anirbana's gear list
Nikon D600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
aarif
Like?
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D3S Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D600 +1 more
diverroy
Contributing MemberPosts: 727
Like?

aarif wrote:

-- hide signature --

Why would you want the D610 to be as big and heavy as the D800.I have the D800 and I am looking to get the D600/D610 as a smaller lighter back up body.

I'm sure that they could make the AF on the D610 much better but keeping the small light body

Diverroy

jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,378Gear list
Like?

aarif wrote:

good for you but I'm talking about those who want the D600 but with the D800 AF

Yes, for me and I suspect many others, a true D700 replacement would be something closer to a D800 with the D600 sensor inside.

I would certainly sell my D800 for this camera as I have no need for 36MP, but I do have need for the AF and external controls/ergonomics that the D800 has.  Also I'd be thrilled if this new body also did not use line skipping during live view . . .  ugh.

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 6,247Gear list
Like?
Re: D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)
In reply to John, Oct 7, 2013

John wrote:

Hopefully a little less grease this time....

It will have less grease and stick this time.

aarif
Like?
In reply to diverroy, Oct 7, 2013

diverroy wrote:

aarif wrote:

to get the D600/D610 as a smaller lighter back up body.

I'm sure that they could make the AF on the D610 much better but keeping the small light body

Diverroy

even better

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,861Gear list
Like?

aarif wrote:

I totally get what you are wanting.  However, I don't see how Nikon can do what you would like and maintain a differentiation in product pricing.  The sensor cost is mostly based on the area of the silicon wafer.  So the cost of this D600 + D800 / 2 is going to basically be the cost of the D800.

So if Nikon replaced the D600 with the new one you suggest then they will have lost the "entry level" FX model.  Unless you are suggesting that the D600 continues.  Which is a possibility, but it assumes Nikon wants to support 4 different FX bodies.  And 5 if there is a possibility that Nikon wants to make a D4x.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
lickity split
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090Gear list
Like?
Re: D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)

Im one of those people that is very happy with there D600,the only thing that I ever wished it had was the ability to bracket more frames..Other than that im good ... 

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
BartyLobethal
Contributing MemberPosts: 593Gear list
Like?
My 'Favourites'
In reply to Fogsville, Oct 7, 2013

Fogsville wrote:

And what's up with the macho language like "shoot" and "glass." "I shoot a D700" ??

My 'favourites' are:

1) "Pull the trigger" - I can't wait to "pull the trigger" on the new xyz. Wow. Gosh. You're not just some unknown photographer, you're like, a hit-man or or maybe one of those elite special forces guys or something. So much more dangerous and cool than the average schmoe. Real men don't just 'buy', they "pull the trigger".

2) "Deal breaker" - The absence of feature x was a "deal breaker" for me. Sheesh. Most of us just go to the camera store and buy a camera, or don't buy it. But up there in the stratosphere with the short-handful of other Important People, you "do deals". You don't simply pay the list price or wait for bargains, you negotiate directly with the camera company on terms that work solely to your advantage. The camera company respects you and scrambles to meet your terms, but you accept no compromises. No doubt on those rare occasions a piece of tech meets your extraordinary standards, you accomplish the "deal" by "pulling the trigger".

-- hide signature --

BartyL

BartyLobethal's gear list:BartyLobethal's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
lickity split
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090Gear list
Like?
Re: My 'Favourites'
In reply to BartyLobethal, Oct 7, 2013

Thank you ,I needed a good laugh....  :))

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads