D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
NikonMike
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020Gear list
Like?
Re: D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)
In reply to Nikonfan99, 11 months ago

If a D610 is announced (or any camera), give it about 24 hours before someone reports an "issue", and then suddenly everyone else will have the issue as well.  It's almost like when you go out on the internet and self-diagnose.  You read about these symptoms of some disease, then all of a sudden you have those symptoms and the dreaded disease.

-- hide signature --

Mike

NikonMike's gear list:NikonMike's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,554
Like?
Re: Friend just got one for $500
In reply to Shotcents, 11 months ago

Shotcents wrote:

Petruska wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

rubicon wrote:

Maybe by D640, I'll have my faith restored in Nikon?? Love my D700, works just as advertised, and no oil changes needed same weather sealing as D3, sorry I'll pass.

Now let the flames begin.

Rubicon:

Ker-SLAP! That's the sound of Nikon slapping D600 owners with a new version of the camera WITHOUT the oil problems.

Some of us got slapped almost as hard with the release of the SB910 flash, which fixed SB900 issues and left those owners upset and selling on Craigslist. My buddy picked up a D600 on Friday for 800 bucks and someone has another one on craigs (in NY) for 700 dollars.

I don't want one for free. (Okay, MAYBE for free!

Robert

Oh, your buddy did, huh? Sorry, I don't believe it. No offense.

Not offended, just check the Craigslist Philly listings. The D600 is still listed for 700.00 and you can at least believe half of what I'm saying.

The D600 will sell cheap now.

Robert

with the kit lens off Craigslist in notheast PA, the previous owners wanted more of a P&S, the D600 wasn't for them....his gain.

And there was another D600 on Craigs this morning that claimed it had a "repaired shutter and no oil issue." He was asking 750.00. The listing is gone. Probably sold it fast.

I'd take a good D700 over the D600.

Robert

It's absurd to say that's what used D600's are going for.  I live in a real large metro area and there are none here for that price.  Just because some goofballs are giving away their cameras in NYC and BFE Pennsylvania does not mean that's the going price.

Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, 11 months ago

Lol I agree.

Trade in value from keh has been pretty steady since release date of d600 $1,080

Trade in for b&h $1,100

Ebay recent sold units go from a wide range of $1,200 to $1,500.

Far from $500.

I think average private sale will be $1,200-$1,500 like ebay.

On a side note d800 trade in is $1,580 on b&h & $1,610 on keh.

So in the end either way you get about half of what you paid for it.

Canon 6D ....keh. $1182 b&h $1,112.

The thought of voicing anger because of financial loss on a digital camera is a joke to me. I have never bought one single  camera, lens or accessory that I did not sell at a big loss. You can count on about a 30-%50 value loss just after a year.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,732Gear list
Like?
Re: No... Ker Slap
In reply to Alan Brown, 11 months ago

Alan wrote:

was the annoying sound of the D700 shutter in the quiet church service and people looking at you with frowns.. (also with S2/S3/D200/D300 models i have owned)

Finally fixed, firstly by the D7000.. a pleasure to work with and now the similarly quiet D600... even without the Q mode

Wish that was fixed in the D800 as well.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?

Nikonfan99 wrote:

Lol I agree.

Trade in value from keh has been pretty steady since release date of d600 $1,080

Trade in for b&h $1,100

Ebay recent sold units go from a wide range of $1,200 to $1,500.

Far from $500.

I think average private sale will be $1,200-$1,500 like ebay.

On a side note d800 trade in is $1,580 on b&h & $1,610 on keh.

So in the end either way you get about half of what you paid for it.

Canon 6D ....keh. $1182 b&h $1,112.

The thought of voicing anger because of financial loss on a digital camera is a joke to me. I have never bought one single camera, lens or accessory that I did not sell at a big loss. You can count on about a 30-%50 value loss just after a year.

I soil a Zeiss binocular after 10 years for about what I paid for it, albeit in real terms at a loss. I sold a Nikon 14-24 F2.8 lens for a bit more than I paid about 6 years earlier. I sold a 10 year old Leica scope and eyepieces at a small loss. The secret is to keep it for many years, and make sure it is mint or near mint. You do lose due to inflation, but consider the loss as the rental, and it is a bargain. Cameras are different for obvious reasons i.e. they become obsolete. Selling a camera or lens after 1 year is always bad news, unless you got it for a song. At the risk of stating the obvious, buy what you will use, so even if you lose money, who cares.

-- hide signature --

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
In reply to TOF guy, 11 months ago

There will be cheap D600s going, but what's the betting the D610 is an excuse to hike the price by a not insignificant amount?

-- hide signature --

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
aarif
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,811Gear list
Like?
Speaking as a D600 owner

the 610 is not really an upgrade without changing the AF to the 51AF pts used in other bodies , so I'm stuck with the dust

aarif's gear list:aarif's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D3S Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D600 +1 more
MrPicky
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, 11 months ago

Nikonfan99 wrote:

I agree. The amazing thing is the cameras still work

They take photos and ones that have great dynamic range and just look beautiful with detail that I never saw on my previous nikons. I also did not buy my D600's as an investment to sell later. I purchased it to use in my business. If I was not using it for business I would have bought it to shoot with it and would use it for a few years and upgrade when the time came. Any piece of camera equipment besides some high end glass is a bad investment if you look at it as a future return when you look at it. It is not a stock or a gold bond. It is an artistic tool that is digital and will be outdated and have great value loss over time. Yes some exceptions exist based on current camera releases but for the most part digital cameras are not financial investments. Will the d600 have a higher loss in value do to this stigma? Yes it sure will but truth be told I will use it while it makes me money and others will use it as a tool till it gets outdated or dies or they decide they want a new toy and if they are buying out of having extra money laying around, so be it.

If you bought a D600 to actually take photos, then you made a good investment.

But most people in these forums take very few photos.

Robert

Totally agree. I know alot of people who has the funds to wear expensive cameras around their necks like like jewelry. 1) look around to see is anybody is looking
2) take 1 picture
3) view that 1 picture for 5 mins
4) feels like im so cool
5) go on dpreview to join conversation of dust

rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,143Gear list
Like?

TOF guy wrote:

According to nikonrumors:

http://nikonrumors.com/

• Slightly higher fps 6 vs. 5.5
  • D800-grade weather sealing

As far as NR knows

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

Let's see, hoping for some other extras (AF and no AA). It looks like they are going to justify the new name by the new fps and new shutter.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
The Well-Tempered Report

Alan Brown wrote:

Well balanced report there... No denial or fanboyism either.

To my eye, a report from "NikonFan99" who tells us he bought a *second* D600 after having the dust problem with his first (and then had the problem, again) reads like both fanboyism *and* denial.

At the very least, "NikonFan99" participates in two pretty common lines of thought on the issue:

(a) Fatalism: "Every DSLR has some kind of out-of-box engineering problem and/or manufacturing defect, so we shouldn't whine about this one's; it's easy enough to work around."

or

(b) Exchange: "The D600 offers performance and capability like no other DSLR evar, and there's just no way to get that reward without risking or dealing with the problem."

Am I the only guy here who doesn't see much to applaud in either?   When did it become unreasonable to expect a $2K camera's sensor would be clean out of the box?   We're really that excited to "work around" a $2K camera's manufacturing defects?  And when did the D600 assume the crown as the camera worth "working around?"  It's 2010's D7000 with a bigger sensor and a slower sync; what performance bars does it push?

I don't mean for this argument to be ad hominem: NikonFan99, if you like your D600s, more power to you--you don't need to justify what you want or what you like to anyone.   The heart wants what the heart wants; be as weird as you wanna be.   Still, I can't help but think that (a) and (b) would, for most photographers, represent a pretty delusional point of view.

rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,143Gear list
Like?
In reply to M Lammerse, 11 months ago

M Lammerse wrote:

CFynn wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

Nikon always claimed the weather sealing in the D600 was as good as that in the D800

So, apart from the fixed shutter, it seems you may only get a slightly better FPS.

Better to wait with making any conclusions.
Michel

I'm waiting patiently, will I be rewarded?

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,728Gear list
Like?
He is being honest with his report
In reply to MarkJH, 11 months ago

what do you want him to do.. lie about his experiences?

He's prepared otr clean his sensor when needed because he likes the images out of it; he's not saying everyone should be the same as him.. is he?

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Nikonfan99
Like?
Re: The Well-Tempered Report

I suppose you can make your own conclusion of what I said.

I am stating that if one was afflicted with this issue (like me), selling the D600 to now purchase a D610 based upon dust/oil, makes no financial sense to ME. Selling the camera at a $1,000 loss because of this issue for MOST users also makes no sense to me. I get that a 2k camera "should" not have this issue out of the box but what if it did and the manufacturers fix was not a FINAL solution? I guess sell it at a loss? What if you could resolve it and it got better over time?

I am not saying nikon is right in how this issue was dealt with but lets be real. You have problems like dust/oil on some cameras and you have problems like memory card slot failure, total shutdown, green light of death or focus issues. lets keep it in perspective.

I have avoided the d600 forum for this specific reason. Most people take the issue and turn it into doom and gloom. The sky is falling and where is will smith to save us? kind of stuff.

Your average shooter would benefit from avoiding such forums and spending that energy in taking a photography class, reading photography books, or forbid me for saying it....shooting with the camera. I hear a lot of lonely cats meowing right now cause the owner is busy posting about how the d600 is garbage because of dust and how they plan to spend money on the new d610 or maybe switch to another brand.

nikon made a product that has a known issue.....they seem to have no consistent fix. They suck...I get it. I am not going to toss and turn over it. I will still deliver my clients nice photos and if I ever work with a company that needs photos of white walls they have painted, I will be sure to rent a canon

I get why people hate nikon for this issue and how they felt abused now that word of a D610 has come but really folks, breathe in and for the love of god dont sell your d600 right away to get a d600 solely based upon dust. Unless you work for that white wall companies photography department or any other style of photography where it makes financial sense and the issue is such a time consuming burden.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Rhetoric and right

Alan Brown wrote:

what do you want him to do.. lie about his experiences?

Nope!

But why'd "NikonFan99" post what he did?  Why share those experiences?

There's a rhetorical purpose in his post: it *argues*, by testimony of sorts, that what other people would call a "problem" isn't actually that--or, that if it is, it's worth "working around."  I'm suggesting only that the argument isn't reasonable.

(I'd go further and suggest that a reasonable response to buying a bum camera would be to *not* buy another one and, again, have the same problem.  And I would make this argument, in part, to impeach the idea that "NikonFan99's" rhetoric is not reasonable.)

He's prepared otr clean his sensor when needed because he likes the images out of it;

(i.e., "it isn't really a problem, or, if it is, it's worth working around."  Rhetoric.)

he's not saying everyone should be the same as him.. is he?

He is.  Rhetoric exists to persuade.

Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,932Gear list
Like?

I am not saying nikon is right in how this issue was dealt with but lets be real. You have problems like dust/oil on some cameras and you have problems like memory card slot failure, total shutdown, green light of death or focus issues. lets keep it in perspective.

Exactly. Green light of death killed my uncle two years ago. His widow is suing Nikon.

I have avoided the d600 forum for this specific reason. Most people take the issue and turn it into doom and gloom. The sky is falling and where is will smith to save us? kind of stuff.

I had some doom and gloom of my own when my D800 couldn't focus worth a hill of beans. But the firmware update solved the problem and I finally had the camera I wanted. But it took a while!

Your average shooter would benefit from avoiding such forums and spending that energy in taking a photography class, reading photography books, or forbid me for saying it....shooting with the camera. I hear a lot of lonely cats meowing right now cause the owner is busy posting about how the d600 is garbage because of dust and how they plan to spend money on the new d610 or maybe switch to another brand.

Yup!

nikon made a product that has a known issue.....they seem to have no consistent fix. They suck...I get it. I am not going to toss and turn over it. I will still deliver my clients nice photos and if I ever work with a company that needs photos of white walls they have painted, I will be sure to rent a canon

Or just clean the sensor as needed. Or send it in for a replacement shutter or go ahead and buy the D610. I probably wouldn't either.

I get why people hate nikon for this issue and how they felt abused now that word of a D610 has come but really folks, breathe in and for the love of god dont sell your d600 right away to get a d600 solely based upon dust. Unless you work for that white wall companies photography department or any other style of photography where it makes financial sense and the issue is such a time consuming burden.

Actually, I work for a company that only makes and services white parachutes.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,893
Like?
In reply to rhlpetrus, 11 months ago

rhlpetrus wrote:

M Lammerse wrote:

CFynn wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

Nikon always claimed the weather sealing in the D600 was as good as that in the D800

So, apart from the fixed shutter, it seems you may only get a slightly better FPS.

Better to wait with making any conclusions.
Michel

I'm waiting patiently, will I be rewarded?

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

Especially if you do video you will be even happier!

Michel

-- hide signature --

- To observe without evaluation is the highest form of human intelligence -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

Nikonfan99
Like?
Re: Rhetoric and right

So what exactly are you saying? I see you drawing conclusions from my words but do tell what your solution is for people that get the issue and are maybe...hmmm out of warranty, had the shutter replaced already or if it is getting better over time?

I wont put words in your mouth so you tell me.

stuntmonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,658
Like?
In reply to rhlpetrus, 11 months ago

rhlpetrus wrote:

Let's see, hoping for some other extras (AF and no AA). It looks like they are going to justify the new name by the new fps and new shutter.

That would be nice, but it doesn't need either. If the D600 were launched today, it would still be a competitive product against the Canon 6D. Of the two, the AF unit upgrade would make sense, since they can part-share with the D7100 and not increase the cost of production, but removing the AA means re-tuning the optical system. One or the other... but both would likely be too much in money and time.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Nikonfan99 wrote:

I suppose you can make your own conclusion of what I said.

I can and have.  Follow, below.

I am stating that if one was afflicted with this issue (like me), selling the D600 to now purchase a D610 based upon dust/oil, makes no financial sense to ME. Selling the camera at a $1,000 loss because of this issue for MOST users also makes no sense to me. I get that a 2k camera "should" not have this issue out of the box but what if it did and the manufacturers fix was not a FINAL solution? I guess sell it at a loss? What if you could resolve it and it got better over time?

One thing you could do: you could decide you aren't going to further patronize the company that made it.

Since all things are relative, for some people a multi-thousand dollar investment is significant.  It's reasonable to be upset when that investment doesn't live up to its promise in important ways.

We can agree that upset shouldn't lead to photographic paralysis.  But where we disagree is in the action we think the upset should provoke.  See below.

I haven't heard of anyone looking to ditch a D600 for a D610.  That's the ire you think this fracas has aroused?  That's what you're advising against?  If so, it's revelatory "NikonFan99": it's as if you can't imagine not patronizing Nikon.

The question isn't whether you should ditch a D600 for a D610.  It's whether, having been burned, you should buy anything with a Nikon stamp on it again.

Since you did, I am suggesting your testimony isn't even-tempered and doesn't make broad rhetorical sense: you're writing from a perspective that doesn't / can't envision the many capable alternatives.

I get why people hate nikon for this issue and how they felt abused now that word of a D610 has come but really folks, breathe in and for the love of god dont sell your d600 right away to get a d600 solely based upon dust.

No one's going to do that.  No one was ever going to do that.  Again: it's as if you can't imagine not patronizing Nikon.  Which is why you don't have a tempered perspective on this matter.

Don't read me wrong: it's good you can turn a frown upside down; it's good you aren't stuck in analysis paralysis; it's good you like what you like.  But what you like appears to be pretty idiosyncratic: to you, Canon is for people who shoot white walls; but otherwise, the direct Canon alternatives (to say nothing of what's out there from others) look pretty capable and do not appear to suffer from manufacturing defects.

Unless you work for that white wall companies photography department or any other style of photography where it makes financial sense and the issue is such a time consuming burden.

Which is, if you ask me, most styles of photography.  Crap on your sensor is bad for your results, even if wider apertures defocus said crap.  It's still there, still taking a visible toll on color and contrast.

Cleaning a sensor is, at best, a dangerous chore.  I have yet to meet a photographer who enjoys doing it.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
What to do

Nikonfan99 wrote:

So what exactly are you saying? I see you drawing conclusions from my words but do tell what your solution is for people that get the issue and are maybe...hmmm out of warranty, had the shutter replaced already or if it is getting better over time?

I wont put words in your mouth so you tell me.

Well thanks, Nikonfan99.

So, what to do?

(1) don't buy another D600.  If you already happen to be in the crappy situation you describe above, why double-down on it?  For the love of god, don't burn yourself twice.

(2) recognize that Nikon's mid-level tools aren't all that special.  Every brand has strategic strengths, surely, but they all exist in a competitive marketplace because they are competitive.   Whatever gorgeous shot you can snap with a Nikon D600, you can most certainly also snap with a Canon 6D or a Sony Alpha 99.

(3) if you're a professional, recognize that the manufacturer of your cameras is your business partner in important ways.  Service and support can have a huge impact on your creative output and your bottom line.  When you choose a system, you aren't just choosing the one that offers the best particular technology--you're choosing the most supportive partner.  RUN from partners that don't appear zealously interested in supporting you.

(4) recognize that, as a consumer, your wallet is your voice.  Your purchases are support of the products and business practices that won them.  So, if you buy unreliable or untested products, expect more unreliable and untested products.

(1) + (2) + (3) + (4) = if you've had a rotten experience with Nikon, when it comes time to upgrade or to expand, buy something else.  And in the meanwhile, don't try to rationalize a bad experience into a good one.  It is what it is: you might still be getting great photographs, but don't give Nikon credit for vision you might have exercised just as well (or better, with less trouble) with anyone else's product.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads