That was too close, E-M5 saved.

Started Oct 5, 2013 | Discussions
Ron Evers
Ron Evers Senior Member • Posts: 1,692
That was too close, E-M5 saved.

I was walking along when I felt the camera strap slipping across the back of my neck.  I quickly grasped the loose end just before the camera was about to hit the ground.  The strap lug came out of the camera body.

Strap lug failure.

Two months out of warranty.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II +15 more
LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926
Re: That was too close, E-M5 saved.

Whoa, that was close, nice save Ron…Olympus repair work, not the fastest, but I am sure they will check the other one as well while they have it?

Only thing I found concerning:

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=31613

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,263

That is just one more reason I don't much like the lugs.  I prefer the way the G3, Canon 60D, Sony A700, etc., etc., etc. do it.  Those lugs can come out and in your case one did.  A good way to end up with a busted camera.  Glad you saved it at the last second.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

ELSELS Senior Member • Posts: 1,887
-- hide signature --

Camera Equipment, Computer Gear and more

Whoa Ron!

So glad you "caught" this mishap before it turned really nasty and expensive.

This is twice now, I have read about the camera body - strap lug, PULLING loose from the body!

Unbelievable! I thought Olympus' Quality Control was MUCH BETTER than this?

All it would take it ONE crash and could destroy camera and/or lens, man I am shuddering to think of it happening...

Sorry it happened... and Thanks for bringing it to my (and others) attention, to keep a watchful eye,,, out for this type pf potential failure..

Have a nice day....

Ed

Brendan Delaney Contributing Member • Posts: 674

The new Leica M had a recall earlier in the year for the same problem....

So its not just Olympus QC.

-- hide signature --

www.brendandelaneyphotography.com
Travel and Documentary Photography

Brendan Delaney's gear list:Brendan Delaney's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony a7R Sony FE 55mm F1.8
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 37,011

Blimey that should not happen.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +8 more
photofan1986
photofan1986 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,284

Wow, that's bad, second time I read this on this board. Kid of scary. Olympus should be responsible for any damage to the camera if the strap lugs fails. But of course they won't...

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +12 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Good warning. Apply super glue! nt

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Isabel Cutler
Isabel Cutler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,769
Re: Egads! Thanks for sharing!

I use handstraps with my cameras and when using two because I need two different lens I will hang one camera from my wrist while using the other.

This is a good warning!

I never before heard of a lug coming out of a camera.

Isabel

-- hide signature --
 Isabel Cutler's gear list:Isabel Cutler's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +1 more
Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,624
Re: Egads! Thanks for sharing!

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Not uncommon. Especially with Olympus.

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,969

Ron Evers wrote:

I was walking along when I felt the camera strap slipping across the back of my neck. I quickly grasped the loose end just before the camera was about to hit the ground. The strap lug came out of the camera body.

Strap lug failure.

Two months out of warranty.

Thi is outrageous! I'd contact Oly and send the photo. I think that this kind of damage Oly has to fix for free.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,023

Henry Richardson wrote:

That is just one more reason I don't much like the lugs. I prefer the way the G3, Canon 60D, Sony A700, etc., etc., etc. do it. Those lugs can come out and in your case one did. A good way to end up with a busted camera. Glad you saved it at the last second.

While it is the first time I'm reading about this problem on an Olympus body, I can remember several threads concerning the Panasonic G1 lugs coming off of the camera. After that I kept checking my G1 and indeed I noted that the lugs were unscrewing and getting loose easily. I think that was fixed in ulterior bodies, as I didn't have that problem with the G3.

Indeed, on the G1 the lugs were the same as those found on Olympus bodies :

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R II +5 more
Red5TX
Red5TX Senior Member • Posts: 1,586

Good grief.  One more reason to insure your camera equipment, folks.  My homeowner rider costs $30/year with zero deductible.

The op made a helluva catch.  I doubt I would have been so lucky.

Ron Evers
OP Ron Evers Senior Member • Posts: 1,692

rrr_hhh wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

That is just one more reason I don't much like the lugs. I prefer the way the G3, Canon 60D, Sony A700, etc., etc., etc. do it. Those lugs can come out and in your case one did. A good way to end up with a busted camera. Glad you saved it at the last second.

While it is the first time I'm reading about this problem on an Olympus body, I can remember several threads concerning the Panasonic G1 lugs coming off of the camera. After that I kept checking my G1 and indeed I noted that the lugs were unscrewing and getting loose easily. I think that was fixed in ulterior bodies, as I didn't have that problem with the G3.

Indeed, on the G1 the lugs were the same as those found on Olympus bodies :

I believe the Lug problem with the G1s were limited to the ones made in China.  Mine was made in Japan & the lugs are solid to this day.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II +15 more
Isabel Cutler
Isabel Cutler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,769
Re: Thanks for the warning...

Big Ga wrote:

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Not uncommon. Especially with Olympus.

I guess I won't be hanging Olympus cameras from wrist straps!  Maybe, I shouldn't hang my GH2 either!

Isabel

-- hide signature --
 Isabel Cutler's gear list:Isabel Cutler's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +1 more
Barry Stewart
Barry Stewart Veteran Member • Posts: 8,983
Good catch

It's hard to tell — but are the lugs the same design as my E-PL5's. Is there a thread that they are nutted to, from inside? (I just gave mine a good tug, and they are fine for now. Still a few months under warranty, though...)

I remember a similar catch of my own, about 20 years ago. I was riding my Honda scooter at city speeds, with my fully-loaded camera bag over my shoulder. I felt the weight turn to nothing and just slammed my hand against my chest to trap the strap.

"Phew!"

I rethreaded the strap through the grommet and sewed it in place when I got home. I know sewing won't help in this case.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +10 more
3DrJ Senior Member • Posts: 1,027
Super glue not the best option

If the lug "socket" and stud are both made of common metals, the best material is probably an epoxy resin formulated for metal-to-metal adhesion.  Epoxies are usually quite good at filling gaps, compensating for "looseness" of fit of parts joined.

OTOH, potential "side effects" of gluing the lug to the body are valid reasons to send it in for repair vs. DIY approach.  This is doubly true if the camera is still under warranty.

However, if not under warranty, and I was sure about lug/socket materials, and certain that the resin wouldn't "leak" beyond the socket in the body, I'd sure consider mounting the lug as described, knowing it definitely would never come out again.

Jules.

-- hide signature --

Artists must not only see, but see what they are seeing.

3DrJ's gear list:3DrJ's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,263

rrr_hhh wrote:

The G3 doesn't have lugs so that is why you didn't have the problem.  Most cameras these days don't have lugs, but the E-M5 does.  Back 40 years ago lugs were common, but not anymore.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

3DrJ Senior Member • Posts: 1,027

Ron Evers wrote:

I was walking along when I felt the camera strap slipping across the back of my neck. I quickly grasped the loose end just before the camera was about to hit the ground. The strap lug came out of the camera body. ...

... Two months out of warranty. ...

Healthy reflexes saved you from catastrophe!  Haven't seen loose lugs, but I've worried it could happen.  Closest I've experienced is a couple of times when straps looped through lugs have lost their grip and a similar "save" was necessary.

From the photos, it's hard to "diagnose" the "cause" of this failure.  It would be interesting to see closeup pictures of the lug and the "socket" it was inserted into on the body.  I wondered if the hole was a discrete "blind" tunnel, or a gaping cavern, clues to how the lug was anchored, or was supposed to be anchored, in the first place.

A bit of discussion above describes DIY ways to permanently reinstall the lug.  While easy to do, there are reasons to consider it carefully before plunging in.

Jules.

-- hide signature --

Artists must not only see, but see what they are seeing.

3DrJ's gear list:3DrJ's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
WhiteBeard
WhiteBeard Senior Member • Posts: 2,145

Not exactly true, I'm afraid. While I don't understand the reasoning behind the choice of fixed D rings versus moving triangles, I have to notice that Panasonic has chosen the D rings for their "middle-of-the-road" G-series (G3, G5, G6) and the older (more expensive?) moving triangle for their top-of-the-line GH-Series, as did Olympus with the E-M1 and E-M5. I have had both types of lugs on different cameras and in the end find that the simpler fixed D rings are quieter and safer than their jingling counterparts especially after having heard plenty of comments on lug failures, especially on the GH1. The only potential - yet to be proven - advantage of the moving triangle lug could be less friction and possible wear on the strap but even if this were the case, this wear and tear would be easily visible and the strap replaced or simply re-adjusted to "expose" another part of it before failing. This is of course impossible with the lug and triangle design were all that is left is hope or epoxy...

WhiteBeard's gear list:WhiteBeard's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads