Started 11 months ago | Discussions
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,262Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 11 months ago

Jim wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

One problem I find with my camera is the bright parts of images look at a bit blown on the LCD, when they are not in fact, which can make you want to dial down the exposure. The histogram is difficult to see also as placed in the top left so it is often in front of the sky. I must say if in doubt I would prefer not to burn out the sky and bring the shadow details back in photoshop which you can do even with JPEGs, contrary to what you would think listening to the RAW afiicianados (though not to the same extent of course).

That's what I do as well...much better to slightly underexpose than to suffer blown highlights. It's really annoying to take what would otherwise be a nice image and then find the highlights marring it.

Jim

This problem would happen all the time with the little sensor in the SX260 that I have, but I turn Icontrast to AUTO and problem solved, highlights are controlled and low tones lifted.  Sometimes the low to mid tones are lifted a little too much, then I use EV-.6, but the image is very well balanced for exposure.  The increased DR can make an image lose a bit of contrast so I set Mycolors, contrast to +1.

I assume canon implemented the Icontrast on the G1X, if they did then that is what it is for, it eliminates having to push the exposure down manually then having to lift the shadows in PP.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim
Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,717Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 11 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

Great shots Jim. Beautiful locations. I really like the G1X as a travel camera....... I've just arrived back myself from a holiday of a different kind over the long weekend here in Australia, but that might be the subject of another post. I'll never take my DSLR again unless I really know that I'll need it - the sense of freedom from lugging 'the kit' was a huge relief.

Thanks, Rod...the G1X is both capable and an interesting camera. As with all of us, it takes a little time to "make friends" with it to really exploit it's capabilities. I'm with you...the DSLR can stay home; I'll take my G1X and my XZ-1 on my travels.

Jim

Jim
Jim
Like?
In reply to brianj, 11 months ago

brianj wrote:

...I assume canon implemented the Icontrast on the G1X, if they did then that is what it is for, it eliminates having to push the exposure down manually then having to lift the shadows in PP.

Interesting that you should mention I-contrast...Yes, the G1X does have it. I wish I would have employed this as well as the DR correction. I shot almost exclusively RAW and after having experimented with I-contrast as well as turning the Shadow correction on, I think my images would have been even better with this camera.

Marco Nero has stated that he shoots almost exclusively in Program mode and shoots mostly jpegs. No doubt he's a good photographer but I honestly didn't really buy into that. I must admit that after these experiments today, that I have to admit that he's bringing me around to that point of view. Am I completely there? No...but I'm on my way.

Jim

brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,262Gear list
Like?

Jim wrote:

brianj wrote:

...I assume canon implemented the Icontrast on the G1X, if they did then that is what it is for, it eliminates having to push the exposure down manually then having to lift the shadows in PP.

Interesting that you should mention I-contrast...Yes, the G1X does have it. I wish I would have employed this as well as the DR correction. I shot almost exclusively RAW and after having experimented with I-contrast as well as turning the Shadow correction on, I think my images would have been even better with this camera.

Marco Nero has stated that he shoots almost exclusively in Program mode and shoots mostly jpegs. No doubt he's a good photographer but I honestly didn't really buy into that. I must admit that after these experiments today, that I have to admit that he's bringing me around to that point of view. Am I completely there? No...but I'm on my way.

Jim

Yes, Icontrast is canons best kept secret, its an absolute marvel, I only have Icontrast OFF or AUTO on my simpler camera, but even it is amazing.

Have a look what it does for the little 1/2.3 sensor here:  http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5128303546/albums/sx260hs

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Howard
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
In reply to brianj, 11 months ago

Hi Jim,

Love the night shot at the roundabout - was that a manual exposure?

Also, where is "iContrast" on the G1X?

Thanks,

Howard

Jim
Jim
Like?
In reply to Howard, 11 months ago

Howard wrote:

Hi Jim,

Love the night shot at the roundabout - was that a manual exposure?

Also, where is "iContrast" on the G1X?

Thanks,

Howard

Hi Howard:

Yes, the roundabout shot was set on a 10 second exposure.  Select JPEG only and in the function settings you'll find the I-contrast setting (auto, 200% and 400%). I hope this helps.

Jim

Howard
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?

So "I-contrast" = "DR Correction"?

...and do I need to be in a certain mode (M,P,A, etc)?

Hollander
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?

I enjoyed looking at all your pictures Jim. The G1X performed very well. Italy is one of my favorite places to visit, I hope to get there one day.

Rob.

-- hide signature --

Rob.
To keep my brain active I'm trying to learn CS3 and Lightroom 2 , only to get more confused, because I don't read the manuals.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
Jim
Jim
Like?
In reply to Howard, 11 months ago

Howard wrote:

So "I-contrast" = "DR Correction"?

...and do I need to be in a certain mode (M,P,A, etc)?

I believe any of the PASM modes will work.

Jim

coody
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?
Good but expect the G2X better
No text.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads