G1X...the perfect travel camera

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Jim
Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,693Gear list
Like?
G1X...the perfect travel camera
9 months ago

We recently returned from a European trip (our honeymoon, actually) and I took along my G1X (instead of lugging my T4i/650D). Here are a few samples. I will not travel without this camera. As an aside, I also took a Zipshot lightweight tripod which came in very handy. Have a look and see what you think.

Jim

Good burritos in of all places, London.

The fresh fish section in Harrod's department store.

The London Eye is a lot of fun...even on a cloudy day.

River boats on the Seine in Paris.

Yes, you can enjoy a glass of champagne at the top of the Eiffel Tower!

Inside the Louvre.

Santa Margharita, Italy...absolutely beautiful and our favorite place on this trip.

...and this is how it looks in the evening just before nightfall.

Camogli, Italy. This is a beautiful small town near Portofino and Santa Margharita.

A private residence in Portofino, Italy...it doesn't get any more oceanfront than that!

The schooner Adix in Portofino harbor.

Portofino, Italy

These were just a small sample of the trip's photographs. I hope you enjoyed them!

Jim

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,400Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

Nice photos. I hope you enjoyed the trip. Taking a tripod on honeymoon is a good way to test your new wife's patience with the hobby from the start I am going to Nuremberg soon for the wonderful German Christmas markets and look forward to using the splendid G1X.

Jim wrote:

We recently returned from a European trip (our honeymoon, actually) and I took along my G1X (instead of lugging my T4i/650D). Here are a few samples. I will not travel without this camera. As an aside, I also took a Zipshot lightweight tripod which came in very handy. Have a look and see what you think.

Jim

These were just a small sample of the trip's photographs. I hope you enjoyed them!

Jim

 Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark Weston
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?
Nice collection of photographs from the little camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

You worked with it well. Looks like a great trip.

http://www.markwweston.com

 Mark Weston's gear list:Mark Weston's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony RX1 G1 X II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rally Man
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

I agree with your assessment, the G1X is a great travel camera. Took it to my Hawaiian vacation. Great pictures BTW.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim
Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,693Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

Here are a few more...

A typical Italian street. This one is in Santa Margharita.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim
Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,693Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

Here are a few more...

A typical Italian street. This one is in Santa Margharita.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
evancj
Senior MemberPosts: 1,768
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

Beautiful. It looks like you got yourself a nice little camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stephent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,222
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

Hi mate great collection, looks like you had a great trip.

Regards.

Stephen.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim
Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,693Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to stephent, 9 months ago

stephent wrote:

Hi mate great collection, looks like you had a great trip.

Regards.

Stephen.

Thank you. It was a wonderful trip...great people, great places...just a lot of fun.

Jim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LeoBricker
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

Great photos. Congratulations on your marriage. Thanks for sharing the photos.

 LeoBricker's gear list:LeoBricker's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,591
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

Jim,

A very nice set of photos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oswald61
Regular MemberPosts: 294
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

Some great shots here. The G1x did a lovely job, especially on the indoor photos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hifly
Contributing MemberPosts: 669
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Oswald61, 9 months ago

Your holiday pics are nice. I noticed they are almost all -0.67 exposure compensated. I think you could have mostly got away with -0.33, and in many cases even with no compensation.

Too much underexposure can suck the colour out of an image.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,807Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

A lot of great photos, Jim.

For me, the overall standout is the oceanfront residence.  Dream location and you captured it perfectly.  Desktop wallpaper worthy.

Thanks for sharing.

 MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,400Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to hifly, 9 months ago

One problem I find with my camera is the bright parts of images look at a bit blown on the LCD, when they are not in fact, which can make you want to dial down the exposure. The histogram is difficult to see also as placed in the top left so it is often in front of the sky. I must say if in doubt I would prefer not to burn out the sky and bring the shadow details back in photoshop which you can do even with JPEGs, contrary to what you would think listening to the RAW afiicianados (though not to the same extent of course).

hifly wrote:

Your holiday pics are nice. I noticed they are almost all -0.67 exposure compensated. I think you could have mostly got away with -0.33, and in many cases even with no compensation.

Too much underexposure can suck the colour out of an image.

 Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Raymond88
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

Great pictures!  I love my G1x too...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim
Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,693Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Greynerd, 9 months ago

Greynerd wrote:

One problem I find with my camera is the bright parts of images look at a bit blown on the LCD, when they are not in fact, which can make you want to dial down the exposure. The histogram is difficult to see also as placed in the top left so it is often in front of the sky. I must say if in doubt I would prefer not to burn out the sky and bring the shadow details back in photoshop which you can do even with JPEGs, contrary to what you would think listening to the RAW afiicianados (though not to the same extent of course).

That's what I do as well...much better to slightly underexpose than to suffer blown highlights. It's really annoying to take what would otherwise be a nice image and then find the highlights marring it.

Jim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,118Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

Great shots Jim.  Beautiful locations.  I really like the G1X as a travel camera....... I've just arrived back myself from a holiday of a different kind over the long weekend here in Australia, but that might be the subject of another post.   I'll never take my DSLR again unless I really know that I'll need it - the sense of freedom from lugging 'the kit' was a huge relief.

Cheers, Rod

 Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Florida paddler
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

Great pictures.  I was stationed in Italy during my military service days.  I visited Rome and shot a Canon AE1 Program then.  My pictures of the Trevi Fountain lacked something.  I would love to go back with my G 1X.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Frank

 Florida paddler's gear list:Florida paddler's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-A1 Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,400Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X...the perfect travel camera
In reply to Jim, 9 months ago

In fact it makes it a proper compact if you have to dial 2/3 off the exposure much of the time in bright conditions Nearly every compact I have had needs this done.

In fact it is in bright conditions that the LCD makes things look overexposed. Canon really do need to start looking at EVF's especially now Nikon have put one in the P7800.

Jim wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

One problem I find with my camera is the bright parts of images look at a bit blown on the LCD, when they are not in fact, which can make you want to dial down the exposure. The histogram is difficult to see also as placed in the top left so it is often in front of the sky. I must say if in doubt I would prefer not to burn out the sky and bring the shadow details back in photoshop which you can do even with JPEGs, contrary to what you would think listening to the RAW afiicianados (though not to the same extent of course).

That's what I do as well...much better to slightly underexpose than to suffer blown highlights. It's really annoying to take what would otherwise be a nice image and then find the highlights marring it.

Jim

 Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads