To which camera do most move to from XZ-1?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 824Gear list
Like?
Re: To which camera do most move to from XZ-1?
In reply to No Regrets, 10 months ago

No Regrets wrote:

I am a beginner in this hobby, and the XZ-1 has been my first camera. I love that it is small, and as a result I have it with me often when a photo opportunity presents itself to me. I love the colors and how well the jpegs out of camera look. Either I've been really lucky, or this camera just has an uncanny ability to make alot of my shots look pleasing to me.

I think it has done very well in well lighted situations, but when used in low light, I get some smearing, blurring of detail, etc. Maybe it would help if I utilize a tripod...

I'm wondering what people move up to after using the XZ-1 that will overcome some of the short comings of this great little camera.

I realize that it will likely be much larger. I will not sell the XZ-1 because it suits me well for many of my needs. I'm just looking for an additional camera that I can enjoy and love as much as this little one.

Thanks much!

I love my XZ-1, took it to Germany, Austria & Iceland last year, never a problem(jon404 setting). I bought it as a back up for my older DLSR Fuji, which on this trip stayed in my bag most of the time. It's Heavy!

Now I would like to replace my Fuji with a M43 camera. The E-PL5 has the same sensor as the OM-5 & P-5, but a few less features and half the cost. I also have looked into the Panasonic GX-7 (twice as much also), many features but like the OM-5 & P-5 will I use them? I could care less about video and a tilt or swivel screen. I need more reach as in a longer lens, the PL-5 would do that and I could use the VF-2 view finder I bought for the XZ-1.

The DPR Studio Comparison is a great tool for comparing cameras. I choice is up to you?  Also read where Olympus is coming out with a PL-7, a PL-6 is out but only for sale in Japan.

Gary

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
robertro
Regular MemberPosts: 209
Like?

I have moved in two directions:

1) For a similar form factor and convenience, and an improvement in low light capabilities and zoom range, I bought a Panasonic LX7. This is my grab-and-go camera on vacations and when just leaving the house with no specific photographic intentions. I debated between this and the Sony RX100, and although either would have worked, the LX7 won, mostly because of the faster lens (especially at telephoto), the clearer controls, and the far better value.

2) For the ultimate in compact quality, I have an Olympus PM2 - the smallest and lightest of the Olympus M4/3 camera bodies. I'll typically use this with 14, 20, 45, and 75mm lenses. The lightest kit is with the 14mm lens, and you can do a large amount of cropping (or digital zooming) and still have superior quality than an XZ-1 at wide and medium focal lengths. Carrying the 14 on the camera and the 45 in a pocket is amazingly versatile.

deleted-13120401
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
m43 or Fujifilm

No Regrets wrote:

I am a beginner in this hobby, and the XZ-1 has been my first camera. I love that it is small, and as a result I have it with me often when a photo opportunity presents itself to me. I love the colors and how well the jpegs out of camera look. Either I've been really lucky, or this camera just has an uncanny ability to make alot of my shots look pleasing to me.

I think it has done very well in well lighted situations, but when used in low light, I get some smearing, blurring of detail, etc. Maybe it would help if I utilize a tripod...

I'm wondering what people move up to after using the XZ-1 that will overcome some of the short comings of this great little camera.

I realize that it will likely be much larger. I will not sell the XZ-1 because it suits me well for many of my needs. I'm just looking for an additional camera that I can enjoy and love as much as this little one.

Thanks much!

I have an XZ-1 and went through this thought process last year.

I'd personally pick m43, and my favourite of the bunch right now in value for money is the EPL5. This plus the Panasonic 25mm 1.4 lens is amazing.

I personally bought a Panasonic GX1 as the best value for money last year, before the Olympus line upgraded. The GX1 is still very good value for money, and in my opinion has better feel and controls, but the EPL5 just has significantly improved image quality (most notably in dynamic range) than the Panasonics.

Last year the current XE1 and lens range from Fujifilm was also not available. I'd be very tempted by this as well, they get very few complaints. With their lenses they are slightly larger, but not much, and appear to also have slightly better image quality.

Both those options will have significantly better image quality at medium ISOs. As a rough guide you could expect your current ISO 400 to look like their 1600 or even 3200. The Olympus option even has image stabilisation, so you won't compromise on that front.

Since I got the m43, I still use the XZ-1, maybe 30% of the time. The rest of the time the other camera's superiority in nearly every way (and being almost as practically compact - neither are pocketable* to me) makes it an easy choice unless I want the convenience of a compact zoom.

* I don't put anything thicker than about 10mm in pockets (and even don't like that) for aesthetic reasons.

Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 929
Like?
Re: m43 or Fujifilm
In reply to deleted-13120401, 10 months ago

I am waiting for an XE-1 kit with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. Both have very effective optical IS and the last firmware update from Fuji has really changed the game for these cameras.

One reason i chose the fuji is build quality , To by an equivalent kit Lens wise say from Canon I would have to pay twice as much, although I would get superior focus tracking.I also like the sensor being fixed , self cleaning of an Olympus sensor is not recommended.

Its still a compromise however there is nothing like an off camera flash cable with fuji.

No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 740Gear list
Like?
Re: m43 or Fujifilm
In reply to deleted-13120401, 10 months ago

hoosh wrote:

No Regrets wrote:

Thanks much!

I have an XZ-1 and went through this thought process last year.

I'd personally pick m43, and my favourite of the bunch right now in value for money is the EPL5. This plus the Panasonic 25mm 1.4 lens is amazing.

I personally bought a Panasonic GX1 as the best value for money last year, before the Olympus line upgraded. The GX1 is still very good value for money, and in my opinion has better feel and controls, but the EPL5 just has significantly improved image quality (most notably in dynamic range) than the Panasonics.

Last year the current XE1 and lens range from Fujifilm was also not available. I'd be very tempted by this as well, they get very few complaints. With their lenses they are slightly larger, but not much, and appear to also have slightly better image quality.

Both those options will have significantly better image quality at medium ISOs. As a rough guide you could expect your current ISO 400 to look like their 1600 or even 3200. The Olympus option even has image stabilisation, so you won't compromise on that front.

Since I got the m43, I still use the XZ-1, maybe 30% of the time. The rest of the time the other camera's superiority in nearly every way (and being almost as practically compact - neither are pocketable* to me) makes it an easy choice unless I want the convenience of a compact zoom.

* I don't put anything thicker than about 10mm in pockets (and even don't like that) for aesthetic reasons.

Thank you Hoosh for the excellent and well thought reply.  It seems as though the EPL5 has been a recurring theme here as one of the best "next step" cameras for me.  I will be taking a very close look at this as well as looking into the other suggestion offered to me here.

Thank you!

No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
No Regrets
Like?
In reply to KTClown, 10 months ago

KTClown wrote:

No Regrets wrote:

Thanks much!

I love my XZ-1, took it to Germany, Austria & Iceland last year, never a problem(jon404 setting). I bought it as a back up for my older DLSR Fuji, which on this trip stayed in my bag most of the time. It's Heavy!

Now I would like to replace my Fuji with a M43 camera. The E-PL5 has the same sensor as the OM-5 & P-5, but a few less features and half the cost. I also have looked into the Panasonic GX-7 (twice as much also), many features but like the OM-5 & P-5 will I use them? I could care less about video and a tilt or swivel screen. I need more reach as in a longer lens, the PL-5 would do that and I could use the VF-2 view finder I bought for the XZ-1.

The DPR Studio Comparison is a great tool for comparing cameras. I choice is up to you? Also read where Olympus is coming out with a PL-7, a PL-6 is out but only for sale in Japan.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your post.  It seems as though the E-PL5 must be a very well thought of camera as it has been recommended to me the most by our fellow forum members.  I will be taking a very close look into this camera....it will be interesting to see what the PL-7 has to offer over the 5.

I appreciate your help!

No Regrets
Like?
In reply to robertro, 10 months ago

robertro wrote:

I have moved in two directions:

1) For a similar form factor and convenience, and an improvement in low light capabilities and zoom range, I bought a Panasonic LX7. This is my grab-and-go camera on vacations and when just leaving the house with no specific photographic intentions. I debated between this and the Sony RX100, and although either would have worked, the LX7 won, mostly because of the faster lens (especially at telephoto), the clearer controls, and the far better value.

2) For the ultimate in compact quality, I have an Olympus PM2 - the smallest and lightest of the Olympus M4/3 camera bodies. I'll typically use this with 14, 20, 45, and 75mm lenses. The lightest kit is with the 14mm lens, and you can do a large amount of cropping (or digital zooming) and still have superior quality than an XZ-1 at wide and medium focal lengths. Carrying the 14 on the camera and the 45 in a pocket is amazingly versatile.

Hello Roberto,

I appreciate your reply.  The PM2 does look incredibly compact.  I will be checking this one out along with the slightly larger 5.  I'm getting excited!

Thank you for your post.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads