To which camera do most move to from XZ-1?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 610
Like?
To which camera do most move to from XZ-1?
9 months ago

I am a beginner in this hobby, and the XZ-1 has been my first camera.  I love that it is small, and as a result I have it with me often when a photo opportunity presents itself to me.  I love the colors and how well the jpegs out of camera look.  Either I've been really lucky, or this camera just has an uncanny ability to make alot of my shots look pleasing to me.

I think it has done very well in well lighted situations, but when used in low light, I get some smearing, blurring of detail, etc.  Maybe it would help if I utilize a tripod...

I'm wondering what people move up to after using the XZ-1 that will overcome some of the short comings of this great little camera.

I realize that it will likely be much larger.  I will not sell the XZ-1 because it suits me well for many of my needs.  I'm just looking for an additional camera that I can enjoy and love as much as this little one.

Thanks much!

Kirppu
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?
Re: To which camera do most move to from XZ-1?
In reply to No Regrets, 9 months ago

No Regrets wrote:

I think it has done very well in well lighted situations, but when used in low light, I get some smearing, blurring of detail, etc. Maybe it would help if I utilize a tripod...

The low light ain't problem for me. It's when I crank up the ISO value and the noise sky rockets mainly because the small sensor. But it's a small sensors so no surprise there

Thanks much!

I tought funky idea of fast, fixed lense XZ-1 like camera with 4/3 sensor (and video capabilities hint hint olympus...)

-- hide signature --

Hobbyist member

Kirppu's gear list:Kirppu's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,769Gear list
Like?

one of the Oly PENs would be a nice upgrade (EPL5 or EM2) from the XZ-1 but to get serious improvement in low light you will need to get lenses faster than the kit lens.  (that's true even for me and I have the XZ-2 and the EPL2.)  Fortunately you have lots of fast 1.x prime options (Panny 14, Oly 17, Panny 20, Panny 25, Oly 45, Oly 75).  The question is how much do you want to spend and can you deal with primes instead of a zoom lens?  The fast zooms are pretty pricey and I prefer having a 1.x aperture available when shooting in low light.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?

XZ.1 and I shared special moments together... we visited Canary island Sweden and Turkey. She has a place in my bag (any bag! pack pack, computer bag.... even on my money purse not really !) And more of the time it was hanging on my neck/shoulder.

I also tried; Macro, Long Shutter photography, FIlters, And it keep going with me to underwater...

But It was getting old, and I want to keep it longer hence I pulled the trigger on a Micro4/3. E-PM1 and a sigma 30mm F 2.8 lens reasons were.

Lenses are affordable,

Camera bodies are varieting so much, gives enought room to choice.

For the second reason camera bodies are also affordable

There are 2 companies makes camera bodies, even another brand made a pro video cam.

There are 4 companies producing lenses for that mouth

As a E-PM1 user now I enjoy better DOF, sharper details, and flexibility on focal point. And in future I will enjoy more with new lenses....

But considering that, It did not take as much photos with E-PM1 as it was with XZ-1, it does not come everywhere with me even its one of the smallest combination ! And I should more think on a shoot. Its no more just point shot and get out ! It takes time (maybe it will getting better, by time !)

You can also visit my flickr photostream and seen some differance between XZ-1 over PM1...

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Nokia Lumia 1520 +2 more
No Regrets
Like?
In reply to Kirppu, 9 months ago

Kirppu wrote:

No Regrets wrote:

I think it has done very well in well lighted situations, but when used in low light, I get some smearing, blurring of detail, etc. Maybe it would help if I utilize a tripod...

The low light ain't problem for me. It's when I crank up the ISO value and the noise sky rockets mainly because the small sensor. But it's a small sensors so no surprise there

Thanks much!

I tought funky idea of fast, fixed lense XZ-1 like camera with 4/3 sensor (and video capabilities hint hint olympus...)

-- hide signature --

Hobbyist member

There are times when I think I get lucky and it turns out okay, but other times such as in this photo I didn't do as well.  Could it be due to me hand holding instead of using a tripod and it is simply me shaking or moving when doing the shooting?

Or with this shot of the jazz musicians performing...

No Regrets
Like?
In reply to RaymondR, 9 months ago

Thank you Raymond for your suggestions.  I'm so new and have so much to learn, I'll have to be careful not to rush into something and figure out exactly what it is I want/need.

No Regrets
Like?
In reply to Ben O Connor, 9 months ago

Thank you Ben for sharing your wonderful points to ponder.  I do love the portability and easiness of the XZ-1 and that's why I won't be selling that.

It may take me a while to learn what I may want or need.  In the meantime, I will continue practicing and trying to learn from of you wonderful peoples experience here on the forum.

Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 880
Like?

Hi,

just a couple of points about the two images,

The first one the aperture is at 2.5 which means your depth of field is limited , sometimes raising the ISO a lilltle bit will balance the exposure a bit more. This is a hard shot because of the shadows and the XZ-1 exhibits a lot of shadow noise. Remember sometimes you can use a small amount of fill flash as well , the XZ-1 gives you various power settings as well as flash compensation.

The second shot has too low a shutter speed so you have the motion blur of the musicians, two ways to attack this flash or higher ISO around 1/60th sec to stop the blur  I would not want to raise the ISO too much though. The other method is to have an artistic blur of the musicians movements, switch on the ND filter and tripod mount the camera to give a slow shutter exposure

Aaron

Aaron Sur
Like?

Hi Ben,

how's the Pen going?

I have done a terrible thing ,ordered a Fuji XE-1 twin lens kit.

It had a screw in cable release , now I have to find which cupboard that is in!

Aaron

Ben O Connor
Like?
In reply to Aaron Sur, 9 months ago

Aaron Sur wrote:

Hi Ben,

how's the Pen going?

I have done a terrible thing ,ordered a Fuji XE-1 twin lens kit.

It had a screw in cable release , now I have to find which cupboard that is in!

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Pen goes alright. But as i said, its not easy to have it as XZ-1 was. Trying something but then to stuck on single focal lenght makes me a bit "AAAArrggHHH "#¤%/&%¤ !!!!! " often

Maybe I should use it more to get used with it. Probably all i need is more lenses (I love to own a macro 60mm, a wide lens zoom between 9-17 mm with super sharpness, and a 75-300mm zoom would be nice...  and maybe 75 mm F 1,8 one day !) hence I should work more, and order more roses for my wife

Hope you enjoying your new cam & lenses, I personally find fuji cams not suitable for myself. First of all its name is "Fujifilm" and there is no film anymore

Also I clearly remember an article that; one of the major stock holders of Fujicam sold their shares in 2000´s. And the speech was unforgettable,

"Film is our main activity and it is over now, thus we are plannig to invest an immortal bussiness: COSMETICS."

but I do admire one camera that they did, XS-1. It has X-10/20 size sensor (which is bigger than XZ-1) and they put a super zoom lens on it. Something wish to see from olympus as well...

Regards.

Ben

Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Nokia Lumia 1520 +2 more
No Regrets
Like?

Thank you Aaron for the great tips!!! I can't wait to give them a try.

Aaron Sur
Like?

Mate it would be hard shooting with a short tele as your only lens , something in the 35mm full frame would be a lot easier. My favorite lens is the nikkor 35mm 1.4 .

Fuji had a nice long nap but this new X series is pretty good. the image quality high ISO and IS is very good ,focusing still behind the EP-5 and GX7, but ease of use great for me the menu system is like on the D4. No birthday cake or pet modes :-).Talking about film it has Astia velvia and other film modes , I spent so much money on velvia in the past I dont even want to think about it.

have not got it yet stocks are limited I'll check in the box to see if there is any free lipstick or nail polish included:-D

joe6pack
Contributing MemberPosts: 983Gear list
Like?

I bought a NEX-3N because I still want the portability. But after using it for a while, I think it is not a replacement for XZ-1. I now consider that they are backup of each other. I now kind of have a peace of mind. If either camera bite the dust, I will switch to the other one. The main advantage of the NEX is its High ISO performance, but then the gain is relatively minor with its limited kit lens. I can shot up to ISO 6400.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?

"I'm wondering what people move up to after using the XZ-1 that will overcome some of the short comings of this great little camera."

I moved up to a Sony A65 for occasions when I could carry something bigger.   For evening strolls, photos at dinner with the family on vacations, etc, I moved up to the XZ2.

Jon404 was the person who was most expert on using the XZ1 and he posted a lot on how to get the best out of  the XZ1.   Helped me a lot.   But he also moved on to something better, with a larger sensor, but just this instant I do not recall what.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +18 more
DigiRider
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 9 months ago

OpticsEngineer wrote:

"I'm wondering what people move up to after using the XZ-1 that will overcome some of the short comings of this great little camera."

I moved up to a Sony A65 for occasions when I could carry something bigger. For evening strolls, photos at dinner with the family on vacations, etc, I moved up to the XZ2.

Jon404 was the person who was most expert on using the XZ1 and he posted a lot on how to get the best out of the XZ1. Helped me a lot. But he also moved on to something better, with a larger sensor, but just this instant I do not recall what.

If I remember correctly,  jon404 has moved to a Pentax K01. There were some incredible discounts on this camera, but from my research I was not convinced.

I also want to upgrade, a while ago I was considering the new Ricoh GR, but it has no zoom. Still highest on my list is a E-PL5 with kit lens zoom and pancake 20mm.

No Regrets
Like?
In reply to joe6pack, 9 months ago

joe6pack wrote:

I bought a NEX-3N because I still want the portability. But after using it for a while, I think it is not a replacement for XZ-1. I now consider that they are backup of each other. I now kind of have a peace of mind. If either camera bite the dust, I will switch to the other one. The main advantage of the NEX is its High ISO performance, but then the gain is relatively minor with its limited kit lens. I can shot up to ISO 6400.

Hi Joe,

I like the idea of the portability and I think being able to shoot up to ISO 6400 would be a definate plus.  I appreciate your comment though stating that you do not feel it to be a complete replacement of the XZ-1.

Just as a side comment.....back when I was first trying to decide on which camera to buy, alot of your posts and photos helped to sway me to the XZ-1.  Thanks for that!

Ben O Connor
Like?

Had a bike ride around today. Here is a Dramatic Filter JPEG image straight from E-PM1 + 30 mm Sigma F 2.8.

There are better lenses out there, I have not decided yet but my second lens fonna me 60mm Olympus Macro prime or Olympus 75-300 tele zoom.  But for now only 30mm. F 2.8

Ben

PS: Now you know, So don´t follow Aaron ok? He is a bad bad person go for Olympus ... Aaron shoot us a Fujifilm image.

No Regrets
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 9 months ago

OpticsEngineer wrote:

I moved up to a Sony A65 for occasions when I could carry something bigger. For evening strolls, photos at dinner with the family on vacations, etc, I moved up to the XZ2.

Jon404 was the person who was most expert on using the XZ1 and he posted a lot on how to get the best out of the XZ1. Helped me a lot. But he also moved on to something better, with a larger sensor, but just this instant I do not recall what.

Hi OpticsEngineer,

Thank you for reminding me of Jon404...as he did have a lot of very helpful posts. I will have to go back and study all of his helpful hints. I know that there is a lot that I can learn from him and his experiences with the XZ-1.

Wow, the Sony a65 is a big camera. I think I might be more comfortable with the Pentax size that is mentioned below that Jon404 switched to. I'm just afraid that the added size may prove to be too cumbersome for me to have with me often enough.

Thank you for your reply!

No Regrets
Like?
In reply to DigiRider, 9 months ago

DigiRider wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

If I remember correctly, jon404 has moved to a Pentax K01. There were some incredible discounts on this camera, but from my research I was not convinced.

I also want to upgrade, a while ago I was considering the new Ricoh GR, but it has no zoom. Still highest on my list is a E-PL5 with kit lens zoom and pancake 20mm.

Hi DigiRider,

Thank you for your post!  Yes, the Pentax K01 or the E-PL5 you mention I think would be a comfortable size for me to work with.

Out of curiosity, what was it about the K01 that was not convincing to you?  I think I too would miss not have a zoom.  I will spend some time researching both the Pentax and the E-PL5.  Thanks!

Aaron Sur
Like?

fair go mate, the XZ-1 is still here and not going away anytime soon.

BTW it is going to be black as well, Fuji don't make cameras in winter camo.

to keep you happy

"mateship" War Memorial Redcliffe from Boer war to Afghanistan.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads