Fuji X vs M43 weight and size comparison

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
sibyy
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
Fuji X vs M43 weight and size comparison
9 months ago

While I'm currently an all Fuji camera owner, I still have a special place in my heart of m43. My first foray into the mirrorless world was the GF1 and I had owned a number of other cameras including the E-M5. So I continuously keep an eye on m43 gear and do suffer from the occasional gadget lust.

Now I've always thought that I've given up some portability for image quality going with Fuji (over m43) and the latest GX7 has made me think of adding a m43 camera in cases where I need a more compact package.

To help me make a comparison, I've compiled the below table that includes the cameras and lenses that I would consider (I know some lenses etc. are not here but this was for my own use) and decide to share it with you.

My takeaway is that there aren't any big gains in terms of size and weight going from Fuji to m43. The X-E1 is the lightest of the 4 cameras having a built-in EVF and the Fuji27mm is actually lighter and smaller than the Panasonic 20mm (though slower).

junyo
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?
Re: Fuji X vs M43 weight and size comparison
In reply to sibyy, 9 months ago
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to junyo, 9 months ago

APS-C becomes a size disadvantage as you get into longer-range zooms.  The Fuji 55-200 is gigantic compared to the Olympus 40-150, which covers the same range.  Of course, it's also a better lens.

I agree that the size difference is not substantial enough to matter for standard zooms and most primes.

junyo
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 9 months ago

Red5TX wrote:

APS-C becomes a size disadvantage as you get into longer-range zooms. The Fuji 55-200 is gigantic compared to the Olympus 40-150, which covers the same range. Of course, it's also a better lens.

I agree that the size difference is not substantial enough to matter for standard zooms and most primes.

Agreed, which is why I personally question the logic of buying a small system and then wanting long focal length, large aperture lenses for it. Once you get past 100-135mm you should be looking at an SLR.

But I'm not a birder/hiker/wildlife photographer and my general need for long teles is pretty non-existent so I probably don't understand.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,975Gear list
Like?

Red5TX wrote:

APS-C becomes a size disadvantage as you get into longer-range zooms. The Fuji 55-200 is gigantic compared to the Olympus 40-150, which covers the same range. Of course, it's also a better lens.

I would think the lens is matched to the sensor. You can put a Nikon APC lens on a FF Nikon camera or the other way. I forget off the top which combo gives some darkening to the corners because of the crop.

The other difference is the 55-200 lens on MFT's is 110-400 equivalent and for APC it is like 80-300. So crop factor.

As far as what lens is better it does not matter because you can not mix and match these lenses inside the manufactures body like Panasonic and Olympus so it is not really a fair comparison.

With Fuji you have control over Dynamic Range which I think is a contributing factor to the result. I am not aware you have the same exact overrides with Micro Four Thirds.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
andyjayscott
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 9 months ago

I don't get m43 at all. I had a G3 for a few months and all that happened was I lost interest in photography.

Now I see the latest whizz bang Olympus body selling for more than a good Fuji with lens. It makes me laugh.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,975Gear list
Like?
In reply to andyjayscott, 9 months ago

andyjayscott wrote:

I don't get m43 at all. I had a G3 for a few months and all that happened was I lost interest in photography.

Now I see the latest whizz bang Olympus body selling for more than a good Fuji with lens. It makes me laugh.

The format is next to last on the list with price at the bottom at least at the start. If you shop price you can limit options to know if now is the time to buy or to save and wait.

Next, I have an extensive and prior film background so coming to digital 15 yrs ago or so was just a digital computer version of film. Instead of a "wet" darkroom with chemicals it is a "Dry" darkroom with a computer to edit.

The reason a camera can be good, bad or just mediocre is a long list.

I feel after all these years using various digital cameras now I have a good feel by reading specifications, knowing how to read editor reviews by reading between the lines to see if the nit pick is really a potential problem I stay away from things. In short, I try not to waste my money and do a "buy it once" for what is here today and pretty much ignore "announced new camera hype"

Anyway, all cameras are good in the broad sense, they all do the same exact thing on a basic level. I have a checklist for what I would do before committing to a camera AND I am aware of any shortcomings or what a given camera does better with and what it may not do so great with so far as subject matter.

When truly in doubt I have no problem retuning a camera or lens or anything for that matter.

My list goes from ergonomics to accessories to lens selection or potential lens additions to cost.

When I switched from the Nikon DSLR to MFT's I made the best choice for me and made lens selections that I felt was the best way to spend my money.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Phil1
Contributing MemberPosts: 698
Like?

Thank you for this v useful table - much appreciated!

It makes you think, especially when you compare the cost of a GX7, EM5 or EM1 with a fast standard zoom to an X-e1 with the standard zoom - about a factor of 2 in favour of the Fuji system, all things being equal. However, of course there are significant differences between the systems so they never will be! Nevertheless, much food for thought.

By the way, would there be any way of posting the original table, if you used Word or Excel, by any chance please as we could then add in other lenses and perhaps a cost line as well.

Again, many thanks!

Phil

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Eh? What don't you get?

Take the gx7 it's a small discrete ilc camera much like the xe1 with very similar iq in the real world.

The only real difference is ibis, fast and accurate af and decent video.

andyjayscott
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
In reply to stimpy, 9 months ago

stimpy wrote:

Eh? What don't you get?

Take the gx7 it's a small discrete ilc camera much like the xe1 with very similar iq in the real world.

I didn't take any pictures I liked, had no fun using it, and all but quit photography altogether.

Obviously that's just my experience with the one m43 camera but it put me right off.

I bought the X100 and it all changed.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

andyjayscott wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Eh? What don't you get?

I didn't take any pictures I liked, had no fun using it, and all but quit photography altogether.

Obviously that's just my experience with the one m43 camera but it put me right off.

I bought the X100 and it all changed

That is sad to hear if you can only get good photos with one type of camera, I'd hate that.  Strange too as I'd bet good money you can't tell the difference between several photos taken with m43 and an X camera.

sibyy
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
In reply to Phil1, 9 months ago

Hi Phil. Yeah there are a lot of other issues to think about before making a buying choice but I was only looking at it form a size/weight perspective.

Initially I did try to post the table as it was but was impossible; you can PM me your email address however and I would gladly send the excel file over.

day2012
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
In reply to Phil1, 9 months ago

Seconded. This is a really helpful table.

Phil1
Contributing MemberPosts: 698
Like?

Thanks very much - I have sent a PM as you suggested.

Phil

Red5TX
Like?

stimpy wrote:

andyjayscott wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Eh? What don't you get?

That is sad to hear if you can only get good photos with one type of camera, I'd hate that. Strange too as I'd bet good money you can't tell the difference between several photos taken with m43 and an X camera.

People can absolutely gel with one camera and not another. It's also possible that the extra 2/3 stop improvement in DOF makes a tangible difference in the way he perceives his photographs. If cameras don't matter, we should all go on shooting with our smart phones and be done with it.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Red5TX wrote:

stimpy wrote:

andyjayscott wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Eh? What don't you get?

That is sad to hear if you can only get good photos with one type of camera, I'd hate that. Strange too as I'd bet good money you can't tell the difference between several photos taken with m43 and an X camera.

People can absolutely gel with one camera and not another. It's also possible that the extra 2/3 stop improvement in DOF makes a tangible difference in the way he perceives his photographs. If cameras don't matter, we should all go on shooting with our smart phones and be done with it.

No, very doubtful a 2/3 stop in DOF made any difference to 'not getting any photos he liked'.
The difference between, lets say an OM-D and X100, is so minute I cannot believe anyone could struggle to take a satisfactory photos with one system but not the other.

As I own both, I'd happily upload a selection of photos taken with each. If the difference is that obvious you should have no issue in identifying which are taken with an X100 and which aren't.

Red5TX
Like?

stimpy wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

stimpy wrote:

andyjayscott wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Eh? What don't you get?

No, very doubtful a 2/3 stop in DOF made any difference to 'not getting any photos he liked'.
The difference between, lets say an OM-D and X100, is so minute I cannot believe anyone could struggle to take a satisfactory photos with one system but not the other.

As I own both, I'd happily upload a selection of photos taken with each. If the difference is that obvious you should have no issue in identifying which are taken with an X100 and which aren't.

No thanks.  The guy gave his honest, subjective impression of the two cameras.  I shot extensively with m43 before moving to Fuji and, like him, I'm much more pleased with the output.  Maybe it's all in our heads.  Who knows.  But getting into an internet pixel peeping contest probably isn't going to change my mind or yours.

bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,393Gear list
Like?

stimpy wrote:

Eh? What don't you get?

You have certainly identified the GX-7 advantages, but those aren't the only real differences. The Fuji has the advantage of a larger sensor, shallower depth of field, superior glass (especially on the "kit" zoom), better out-of-camera JPEG colors, wider dynamic range, and (IMO) a superior control model to the standard PASM model.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
iau
iau
Regular MemberPosts: 130Gear list
Like?

I sort of have it the same way. The GF1 was the first mirrorless camera I bought and have had several other m4/3 since, but currently own none. I have a X100S and the X-E1 and love the Fuji colors and IQ. I also prefer the slight advantage m4/3 has over Fuji regarding size, but if I'm adding a m4/3 camera to my bag it will be because of AF. That is my main grudge. I like just snapping away...

iau's gear list:iau's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to bowportes, 9 months ago

bowportes wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Eh? What don't you get?

You have certainly identified the GX-7 advantages, but those aren't the only real differences. The Fuji has the advantage of a larger sensor, shallower depth of field, superior glass (especially on the "kit" zoom), better out-of-camera JPEG colors, wider dynamic range, and (IMO) a superior control model to the standard PASM model.

But you are listing technical differences, yes the sensor is slightly larger and the dynamic range slightly wider (though isn't the om-d and X100 the same according to DXO Mark?). Glass is very subjective, to rule out every possible lens for m43 inc leica is a bit naive; but no matter, if you feel it's better for you it's still impossible to demonstrate because most of it is just technical details that in all honesty do not relate to better or worse photos in 99.9% of cases, and if they do I'd love to be proved wrong and shown clear evidence.

Don't get me wrong, I love my X100 and will probably be buying the XE2 shortly, but as much as I love my Fuji's I can't see a major difference to some m43 setups, so I just don't get the guys like the OP who claim they could not get any decent photos with m43 and even go so far as to say the system them from photography.

That's a fairly dramatic statement haha.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads