How to activate the back focus button( af-on) on 5d markiii?

Started 9 months ago | Questions
Mmwei
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
How to activate the back focus button( af-on) on 5d markiii?
9 months ago

Hi I heard the back focus button( Af-on)  is very useful on 5d mkiii,  but I couldn't activate it . Is there any pro could tell me how to do it and what is your experience about it ? I really appreciate your help.

thanks

mike

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,249Gear list
Like?
Re: How to activate the back focus button( af-on) on 5d markiii?
In reply to Mmwei, 9 months ago

Google "back button focus 5DMkIII". There should be a couple of utube videos that will run you through the process.

AF-On is activated by default on most Canon cameras, but the way it is implemented is not what people refer to as back button focus. Usually people like to swap the AF-On button function with the AEL (asterisk) button. Then set up the shutter button to do metering and shutter release or only shutter release. My personal experience with back button focus is that it is a waste of time (I'm happily the odd man out), but I shoot manual exposure and don't need to separate focus from metering and shutter release. I don't focus and recompose either, so it buys me nothing. For others it is the only way to fly.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554Gear list
Like?

The 5DIII has a dedicated AF-ON button to use for BBF. The only thing you need to do is disable AF on the shutter button. Go into the menu and scroll through to the C.Fn2 (Custom Function 2) menu and select the bottom option Custom Controls.

The first option on the Custom Controls menu is the Shutter Button. half-press. Select this and change it from Metering and AF start to just Metering start.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
f/2.8 is a smaller number than f/22 in the same way that 100 is a smaller number than 20.
I am learning photo graphee - see the results at www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Mmwei
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
In reply to Dan Marchant, 9 months ago

hi thank you all for the very very helpful info. Not at home right now once i get back home ill try it out.
Thanks
Mike

BigBen08
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,436
Like?
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads