Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,679Gear list
Like?
Re: cancelled
In reply to henryp, 9 months ago

henryp wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

OP here. B&H is a mess. The camera showed in stock today I ordered with next day delivery. I got no notification that it is being delivered, nothing. I just clicked on 'cancel the order." I'd rather deal with amazon at least when it shows in stock at amazon it is actually in stock. No more B&H.

Very sorry. It was (and is) in stock. Our computer system went down for a couple of hours the same afternoon delaying order processing. We're very sorry for this unanticipated inconvenience.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Henry, thank you.

I knew about the computer system down the following week.   However, I did not know about it at the time and it would be nice if you guys told the people that offered to pay $60 for next day delivery what was going on at the time instead of leaving them hanging.  Some kind of notification would have been nice.

By the way, around the same time, someone from your store offered to check on another order of mine (Olympus EM1 that I had on preoder) and never got back to me.  That order was cancelled as well.

That is two bad experiences with B&H in a row and I know vast majority of people here love dealing with you but I am going to take my money elsewhere.  I don't need this anxiety.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,808
Like?
Re: Bought from Amazon
In reply to Absolutic, 9 months ago

Absolutic wrote:

Well K&M Camera on amazon has 3 Black ones in stock. It is a New York store with excellent reviews (at least on amazon).

I just ordered one with Saturday Delivery. I had some amazon points so it ended up even less. Lets see if they come through

Hope that K&M order works out for you. Lots of stores pad their reviews and make sure they have plenty of good ones.

There are two K&M camera stores in New York City. One is on 32nd street but it's primarily a rental store. One is on Broadway and that's probably the store you ordered from.

Any store on Broadway would be suspect for me. Most of the camera stores are small and dirty.

K&M is also not listed at Resellers.com and that seems strange but the one thing that would concern me the most is that the New York Better Business Bureau gives the store a D rating.

Anyway, good luck.

Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,714Gear list
Like?
Re: pulled the trigger on X-A1

I purchased my black X-A1 from Adorama. They have both black and blue in stock now.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 70D Fujifilm X-A1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +23 more
Absolutic
Like?
In reply to Ed B, 9 months ago

Ed B wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

Well K&M Camera on amazon has 3 Black ones in stock. It is a New York store with excellent reviews (at least on amazon).

I just ordered one with Saturday Delivery. I had some amazon points so it ended up even less. Lets see if they come through

Hope that K&M order works out for you. Lots of stores pad their reviews and make sure they have plenty of good ones.

The package that ordered from K&M actually was delivered by and through Amazon.  Apparently it was always at Amazon's custody.   Amazon tried to explain it to me (I chatted with them) but I still don't understand how it works, because it was a part of amazon prime.   I guess some sellers sell through amazon, others on their own?

In any case I got my XA1 on Saturday morning, the next day Saturday Delivery happened and it was $8.99, not $60+ I would have to pay at B&H for the same delivery service.   Came brand new and I have been shooting with it happily.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +5 more
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,808
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

Ed B wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

The package that ordered from K&M actually was delivered by and through Amazon. Apparently it was always at Amazon's custody. Amazon tried to explain it to me (I chatted with them) but I still don't understand how it works, because it was a part of amazon prime. I guess some sellers sell through amazon, others on their own?

In any case I got my XA1 on Saturday morning, the next day Saturday Delivery happened and it was $8.99, not $60+ I would have to pay at B&H for the same delivery service. Came brand new and I have been shooting with it happily.

Sounds like you did good.

dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,035
Like?
In reply to Randy Benter, 9 months ago

Randy Benter wrote:

I purchased my black X-A1 from Adorama. They have both black and blue in stock now.

Yes, I ordered from Adorama on Friday?  They had the black one.  It arrived today

dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,035
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

henryp wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

OP here. B&H is a mess. The camera showed in stock today I ordered with next day delivery. I got no notification that it is being delivered, nothing. I just clicked on 'cancel the order." I'd rather deal with amazon at least when it shows in stock at amazon it is actually in stock. No more B&H.

Very sorry. It was (and is) in stock. Our computer system went down for a couple of hours the same afternoon delaying order processing. We're very sorry for this unanticipated inconvenience.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Henry, thank you.

I knew about the computer system down the following week. However, I did not know about it at the time and it would be nice if you guys told the people that offered to pay $60 for next day delivery what was going on at the time instead of leaving them hanging. Some kind of notification would have been nice.

By the way, around the same time, someone from your store offered to check on another order of mine (Olympus EM1 that I had on preoder) and never got back to me. That order was cancelled as well.

That is two bad experiences with B&H in a row and I know vast majority of people here love dealing with you but I am going to take my money elsewhere. I don't need this anxiety.

You and I are ordering the same thing!  I have EM1 on pre-order with BH also.  haven't heard from BH since they day I ordered it which was 2 hrs after the announcement.

Absolutic
Like?
In reply to dennis tennis, 9 months ago

dennis tennis wrote:

\

You and I are ordering the same thing! I have EM1 on pre-order with BH also. haven't heard from BH since they day I ordered it which was 2 hrs after the announcement.

Yep.

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,239
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

Ed B wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

The package that ordered from K&M actually was delivered by and through Amazon. Apparently it was always at Amazon's custody. Amazon tried to explain it to me (I chatted with them) but I still don't understand how it works, because it was a part of amazon prime. I guess some sellers sell through amazon, others on their own?

It's actually a very simple arrangement. The sellers ship all their stock to the Amazon warehouse, and when an item is sold Amazon ships it to the customers. Amazon has much lower shipping costs, then the standard rates other vendors have to pay. I don't know if they mingle with their other stock. And I think for all such shipments the Amazon return policy applies and the returned items go back to Amazon warehouse instead of the vendor's.

henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,733Gear list
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

By the way, around the same time, someone from your store offered to check on another order of mine (Olympus EM1 that I had on preoder) and never got back to me. That order was cancelled as well.

I am very sorry for your dissatisfaction. Our customer service log for the Olympus order says we replied to email inquiries on Oct 2nd & 3rd. The order was cancelled and refunded Oct 4th.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Absolutic
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, 9 months ago

forpetessake wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

It's actually a very simple arrangement. The sellers ship all their stock to the Amazon warehouse, and when an item is sold Amazon ships it to the customers. Amazon has much lower shipping costs, then the standard rates other vendors have to pay. I don't know if they mingle with their other stock. And I think for all such shipments the Amazon return policy applies and the returned items go back to Amazon warehouse instead of the vendor's.

That sounds like a great arrangement for the sellers, I am surprised more sellers dont do it.   You can use amazon's warehouses, get your products to consumers cheaper and faster and amazon is really good about the /in stock/ status - they computer system is pretty accurate about it.   And it sounds like a great arrangement for buyers. because in case of return they don't have do deal with a hustle of trying to return to some pop and mom store (good luck with that) instead returning to amazon which is a painless procedure.

Absolutic
Like?

henryp wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

I am very sorry for your dissatisfaction. Our customer service log for the Olympus order says we replied to email inquiries on Oct 2nd & 3rd. The order was cancelled and refunded Oct 4th.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Thank you Henry.

Absolutic
Like?
XA1 - from the first few days of use

So far so good, I like mostly everything in terms of improved focus speed (or so it seems), happy with picture quality.   The only thing is I guess i am a viewfinder kind of a guy, so at lunch at work when I want to take photos in midday sun, I keep trying to place the camera to my eye and then realizing there is nothing there

Absolutic
Like?

OP here. Of course I bought the new XA1 for $599 last Friday. Today, Wed of next week, Cameraland is already selling it at $549, $50 off.

That is just 4 days after the release!!!! I bet it will be $399 by Xmas time if this keeps happening

Davidgilmour
Senior MemberPosts: 1,124Gear list
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

OP here. Of course I bought the new XA1 for $599 last Friday. Today, Wed of next week, Cameraland is already selling it at $549, $50 off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujifilm-X-A1-16-3-MP-Digital-Camera-Black-with-XC-16-50-2-5-5-6-OIS-Lens-/121190813334?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item1c37890e96#shId

That is just 4 days after the release!!!! I bet it will be $399 by Xmas time if this keeps happening

The X-M1 and X-A1 aren't selling like hot cakes. Why? Too expensive for Joe Average and too plastic for the more serious amateur. But we know what gems these two are! Same IQ as the X-Pro1 (some say even better) for just $300 ! (Body only after selling kit lens on ebay)

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Tom Zimmer
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?
Re: Sharpness and noise yes, but what about color?
In reply to WT21, 9 months ago

WT21 wrote:

e these early reviews talking about better sharpness and reduced noise (esp the latter) on the XA1, but what about color? I thought the XTrans had the best color I've yet seen on a smaller than FF sensor. Has anyone seen XA1 vs Xtrans tests??

I think the color has less to do with the sensor and more to do with "Fuji". Fuji has always been about the color.

-- hide signature --

Tom Zimmer
http://photobubba.com/
Fuji X-E1, Sony A77
And my old friends - Sigma DP2, SD10, SD14

Eddaweaver
Senior MemberPosts: 2,199
Like?
Re: B&H is more trustworthy
In reply to Buttons252, 9 months ago

The American retailers' practice of allowing large numbers of people to "return" products without reason sounds crazy to people from other countries. Retailers in most other countries wouldn't get away with selling used as new either.

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,239
Like?
In reply to Eddaweaver, 9 months ago

Eddaweaver wrote:

The American retailers' practice of allowing large numbers of people to "return" products without reason sounds crazy to people from other countries.

There is nothing crazy about it. Would you buy a car without test drive and inspection?

It's actually a very good practice when products that people aren't satisfied with are either returned to the manufacturer, or the vendor. In either case, if the percentage of returns starts hurting them the product is being pulled from the shelves. Thus the best survive and the worst languish -- market at work. What can be better?

Retailers in most other countries wouldn't get away with selling used as new either.

No retailers are allowed to sell used products as new, that would be classified as deceitful practices. Large vendors have explicit policies in place, though there is always a possibility of some rogue employees violating them. They can sell returned cameras as open box, used, etc. usually with a good discount.

henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,733Gear list
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, 9 months ago

forpetessake wrote:

There is nothing crazy about it. Would you buy a car without test drive and inspection?

In all the decades I've been driving and buying cars I've NEVER test-driven the car I'm actually about to buy. The test driver is the model set aside by the dealer for everyone to tool around in.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?

henryp wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

In all the decades I've been driving and buying cars I've NEVER test-driven the car I'm actually about to buy. The test driver is the model set aside by the dealer for everyone to tool around in.

Please let me know how to access the "B&H Test Drive" program for mail order. Or am I supposed to showroom the camera at Best Buy first, and then buy from you?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads