pulled the trigger on X-A1

Started Oct 3, 2013 | Discussions
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,745Gear list
Like?
pulled the trigger on X-A1
Oct 3, 2013

since B&H seems to have them in stock (blue ones at least) I pulled the trigger on one.   Not happy about the lack of viewfinder but the reviews are all seem to be positive so far, so I want to check it out myself.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +9 more
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,093Gear list
Like?
Re: pulled the trigger on X-A1
In reply to Absolutic, Oct 3, 2013

Does anyone know of a site that has the black X-A1 in stock? I would like to order one today, but I don't really want blue.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica X Vario Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-E2 +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,894
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

since B&H seems to have them in stock (blue ones at least) I pulled the trigger on one. Not happy about the lack of viewfinder but the reviews are all seem to be positive so far, so I want to check it out myself.

Did you have your order confirmation? Shipment confirmation? Do they actually have them in stock? I see the black one listed "available October, 3", which is today, but it still says "preorder". It looks like their site is messed up.

Absolutic
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, Oct 3, 2013

forpetessake wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

since B&H seems to have them in stock (blue ones at least) I pulled the trigger on one. Not happy about the lack of viewfinder but the reviews are all seem to be positive so far, so I want to check it out myself.

Did you have your order confirmation? Shipment confirmation? Do they actually have them in stock? I see the black one listed "available October, 3", which is today, but it still says "preorder". It looks like their site is messed up.

nope, no order conformation but it did say in stock this morning when I ordered.  But nothing I got

David

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +9 more
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660Gear list
Like?
Sharpness and noise yes, but what about color?

Absolutic wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

nope, no order conformation but it did say in stock this morning when I ordered. But nothing I got

David

I see these early reviews talking about better sharpness and reduced noise (esp the latter) on the XA1, but what about color? I thought the XTrans had the best color I've yet seen on a smaller than FF sensor. Has anyone seen XA1 vs Xtrans tests??

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,894
Like?
Re: Sharpness and noise yes, but what about color?
In reply to WT21, Oct 3, 2013

WT21 wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

nope, no order conformation but it did say in stock this morning when I ordered. But nothing I got

David

I see these early reviews talking about better sharpness and reduced noise (esp the latter) on the XA1, but what about color? I thought the XTrans had the best color I've yet seen on a smaller than FF sensor. Has anyone seen XA1 vs Xtrans tests??

You can compare samples on ephotozine.com and phtotographyblog.com. The X-A1 colors look quite healthier than X-M1. The blue is blue and not cyan, the red doesn't look like fresh blood, and green is also more natural. And there isn't that red-brown shift in low light x-trans is famous for.

CAcreeks
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,855
Like?
Oh wWell, the LCD has 920k dots
In reply to Absolutic, Oct 4, 2013

Absolutic wrote:

Will Fuji ever issue an electronic viewfinder?  I don't care, maybe you do.

Although touch enabled, the EPL5 LCDhas only 480K pixels and is widescreen so the image resolution is much lower.

Comparing, the X-A1 seems a better camera with fewer flaws. My biggest complaint is the lack of in-camera panorama stitching.

WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660Gear list
Like?
Re: Sharpness and noise yes, but what about color?
In reply to forpetessake, Oct 4, 2013

I just checked ePhotozine.

The only pics that could be compared are the studio color charts, and the WB is so clearly different, it makes comparison impossible

http://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/XA1-5287/large/Fujifilm-X-A1-ISO100-DSCF4009_1380207937.jpg

http://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/XM1-5205/large/Fujifilm-X-M1-ISO100-DSCF9193_1373988311.jpg

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
Absolutic
Like?
cancelled
In reply to WT21, Oct 4, 2013

OP here.   B&H is a mess.  The camera showed in stock today I ordered with next day delivery.   I got no notification that it is being delivered, nothing.  I just clicked on 'cancel the order."  I'd rather deal with amazon at least when it shows in stock at amazon it is actually in stock.    No more B&H.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,296Gear list
Like?
B&H is more trustworthy

B&H is an excellent source. When they say expected arrival date it is not the same as when it says in stock.

If a camera is popular enough they will ship the camera and not change expected date status. It will change to backordered. Your getting in line to buy a new camera. Same thing with lenses.

As far as Amazon goes, I would never buy a camera from them. Most of the time you will end up buying rented camera bodies, lenses bags from Amazon. They have no standards when it comes to a return. Amazon can not tell if someone shot lots of video or thousands of photos.

B&H return policy is very clear about at what point they will not take a "new" camera back as new.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,093Gear list
Like?
Re: B&H is more trustworthy
In reply to ryan2007, Oct 4, 2013

ryan2007 wrote:

B&H is an excellent source. When they say expected arrival date it is not the same as when it says in stock.

It says "In Stock" now and has had that same status all day.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1003762-REG/fujifilm_16395603_x_a1_mirrorless_digital_camera.html

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica X Vario Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-E2 +27 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,296Gear list
Like?
In reply to Randy Benter, Oct 4, 2013

They have a black body version with a different lens option if I recall that is in that expected status.

Yes, the blue one is there, the black body last I checked was not.

No matter, mute point now.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Absolutic
Like?
Bought from Amazon
In reply to Randy Benter, Oct 4, 2013

Well K&M Camera on amazon has 3 Black ones in stock. It is a New York store with excellent reviews (at least on amazon).

I just ordered one with Saturday Delivery. I had some amazon points so it ended up even less. Lets see if they come through

Buttons252
Regular MemberPosts: 332Gear list
Like?

ryan2007 wrote:

If a camera is popular enough they will ship the camera and not change expected date status. It will change to backordered. Your getting in line to buy a new camera. Same thing with lenses.

As far as Amazon goes, I would never buy a camera from them. Most of the time you will end up buying rented camera bodies, lenses bags from Amazon. They have no standards when it comes to a return. Amazon can not tell if someone shot lots of video or thousands of photos.

B&H return policy is very clear about at what point they will not take a "new" camera back as new.

I completely agree. I bought a canon pixma pro 100 from amazon and someone had already redeemed its UPC code for the $300 mail in rebate!  I was able to get it sorted out, but it was really frustrating.  Many people buy things on amazon then simply return it then it gets resold as new still.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-E1 + PK lens adapter + 55mm Pentax SMC 55mm F1.8

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Absolutic
Like?

ryan2007 wrote:

They have a black body version with a different lens option if I recall that is in that expected status.

Yes, the blue one is there, the black body last I checked was not.

No matter, mute point now.

yes it  said in stock when i ordered in the morning and i added $60+ for next day delivery.   It is almost midnight Eastern Time and I got no response from them and my order still showed "in process".    So much for next day delivery.

I know some people dislike amazon, but when it says 'in stock' it is 'in stock.  Also I am an amazon prime member so I have free 2d day delivery on everything, $3.99 for next day delivery, and $8.99 for next day Saturday Delivery.

Absolutic
Like?
Re: Oh wWell, the LCD has 920k dots
In reply to CAcreeks, Oct 4, 2013

CAcreeks wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

Will Fuji ever issue an electronic viewfinder? I don't care, maybe you do.

Although touch enabled, the EPL5 LCDhas only 480K pixels and is widescreen so the image resolution is much lower.

Comparing, the X-A1 seems a better camera with fewer flaws. My biggest complaint is the lack of in-camera panorama stitching.

I generally need viewfinder because I live in California and it is super sunny most of the time and it is so bright it is usually impossible to see anything on any display (be it a camera, a cell phone, etc). However, I am quite intrigued by X-A1 first reviews, seemingly unreal Jpeg rendering, and regular non-Xtrans sensor.

dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,247
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

Will Fuji ever issue an electronic viewfinder? I don't care, maybe you do.

I generally need viewfinder because I live in California and it is super sunny most of the time and it is so bright it is usually impossible to see anything on any display (be it a camera, a cell phone, etc). However, I am quite intrigued by X-A1 first reviews, seemingly unreal Jpeg rendering, and regular non-Xtrans sensor.

I brought my Canon EOS M to So Cal in July to watch FIVB and a bit of HB surfing.  To my surprise, I was able to use the rear LCD without much difficulties.

Adorama has the black version.  Guess who just got one ')

I do like how my XPro1 and X100s handle color but my S5Pro did not have XTrans and it still love how it handles color so ...

Absolutic
Like?
In reply to dennis tennis, Oct 4, 2013

dennis tennis wrote:

Adorama has the black version. Guess who just got one ')

I do like how my XPro1 and X100s handle color but my S5Pro did not have XTrans and it still love how it handles color so ...

S5 is a legend.  I"ve never owned one, but I always enjoying seeing results coming out of it....

henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,893Gear list
Like?
In reply to Absolutic, Oct 7, 2013

Absolutic wrote:

David

It was in stock when the order was placed and is in stock right now. The black version is not.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,893Gear list
Like?
Re: cancelled
In reply to Absolutic, Oct 7, 2013

Absolutic wrote:

OP here. B&H is a mess. The camera showed in stock today I ordered with next day delivery. I got no notification that it is being delivered, nothing. I just clicked on 'cancel the order." I'd rather deal with amazon at least when it shows in stock at amazon it is actually in stock. No more B&H.

Very sorry. It was (and is) in stock. Our computer system went down for a couple of hours the same afternoon delaying order processing. We're very sorry for this unanticipated inconvenience.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads