Forum ProPosts: 10,880Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the NEX-5T the last NEX camera?
In reply to parallaxproblem, 6 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

captura wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

captura wrote:

Is the NEX-6 on a 2 year cycle, or a no-year cycle?

I think we are in basic agreement at this point. I just reacted a bit because I'm really fed up with inconsistent SAR rumors, although I can't blame them too much because it's SAR's business to stay in business, after all.I can't blame Sony at all for any of this because they believe in being secretive and I can't say as I blame them. They need, after all, to protect their profits. I suggest taking SAR rumors with a modicum of discretion.

Yes, I'm getting rather fed-up with being jerked around there (as I previously mentioned). However I think Sony themselves are playing a few games with Andrea on that site. I feel a bit sorry for him and hope he is getting a bit of money from the advertising there

NEX-6 and NEX-5R always struck me as slightly odd models as they are so similar: it was like two different design concepts for the same product. I wonder if this is what actually happened and as the Sony team couldn't decide which one to release they decided to produce both and sell at slightly different price points..? Just speculation on my part

Thhe technology of bthe 6 and the 5R/T is the same. The bodies are different. Adding the EVR component as in the 6 makes it much more expensive, quite naturally. Adding the touch screen and removing one dial as in the 5R/T results in a $200 savings. Sony's plan was to cover the middle of the market with these 2 cameras to give 2 different choices to buyers depending on their needs. I feel they did this successfully. And I'm a 5R upgrader to suggest there is a 3'd choice. Initially buying a 5R, the later getting the FDA AV1S EVR.

I have done that as well and it is inded a nice combo. But they could have offered the 5R and the EVF as a sales package without needing to market the NEX-6...

I wonder if the 5T is basically a 'single run' product which is using-up left-over parts from both the 5R and 6, with a view to both models being replaced early next year by a single new model with a new sensor (an A5000?)? The NFC in the 5T would have certainly earned the NEX team 'brownie points' internally within Sony for it's compatibility with the Xperia Z1, Xperia Tablet Z and 2013 Bravia TVs - incidentally I got to play with an Xperia Tablet Z yesterday: very nice piece of kit! (though I still bought the Nexus 10, but only because it was half the price and I intend to use it primarily as a development machine, where current android updates are important)

No, the 5T is 100% the same as the 5R, except for the tiny piece of electronics required for the Near Field feature. If anyone know with assurance about any other difference in the hardware, please post it.

Yes, I know that! I meant that the 5T uses up the remaining unassembled 5R parts (except for the upgraded comms chip) together the bits which were common with the NEX 6 (sensor, shutter, lCD, buttons internal circuitry etc). They probably melted down the unused NEX-5R grips and NEX-6 bodies and stuck the plastic back into the very slightly modified 5T moulds

I acutally downloaded the NEX-5T manual one evening and read it - I couldn't see any difference from the 5R except for the stuff covered in the NFC supplement!

Could Sony release a NEX-9 as well as these models? I really wish Sony would tell us clearly what their plans for A and E mount are as I'm getting fed up with being jerked around by these rumours

It's all a media guessing game. How many sales floaters are proposed by connected hucksters and marketing people? I would guess that all of these companies including the rumor- makers, journalists, reviewers and vendors are intertwined in a complicated octopus of sorts. Or am I being too cynical? And are any of the members of DPR really secretly paid just to promote or to stir things up? (hope not.)

I'm certain that there are a few paid shills on DPR and I'm pretty sure I could have named two on the Pentax forum a few years ago when I was active there. I've seen people clearly paid by Apple to challenge claims of battery issues/power supply problems and from Microsoft on corporate matters in national newspaper internet forums (the Microsoft Shills are a newer feature - Apple have had them for years)

This is a real problem on the internet. I once read a glowing review of a tailor's shop I know in a tourist location in a developing nation on a travelling blog written by an aussi couple. I mentioned it to the owner of the shop a while later and he said 'yes, I paid $500 for that'. The couple were charging 500 dollars a piece (a very decent monthly salary in that region) to shops that they were going to during their travelling holiday to say nice things about them... and you would never have guessed from reading the blog!

- seeming virtual certainty that more upscale follow-up models after the SLR-body ILC A-3000 (ie: A7, A7r?) will soon be introduced indicates a change of direction by Sony.

But would Sony abandon the NEX rangefinder-style body altogether? Even Panasonic and Olympus are still offering both the rangefinder and SLR-style cameras.

I hope not, but I just find it difficult to imagine them selling two separate series of Emount bodies concurrently. I thought that they would have 'DSLR' shape at the low-end and 'rangefinder' at the high end, but obviously (well, if the SAR rumour is true) that isn't going to be the case

Not necessarily. It's very complicated. They will sell whatever product makes money and drop whatever doesn't. And Son's secrecy has been a very good strategy for them. They're still getting top[ dollar for ageing NEX cameras. In contrast, Panasonic had to dump many thousands of m43 G5 and GX1 models for less than 1/2 price after very short production runs..in the case of the G5, it was only 6 months and they brought out the G6. LOTS of bad planning may cause Panasonic's failure, one day.

PS: Olympus and Sony are now teamed up, much in the way that Minolta and Sony were, once upon a time. Will Olympus get completely taken over one day by Sony management teams? Just asking some questions.

Interesting point

The story I heard about the Minolta takeover (I think it was from David Kilpatrick on the Sony Alpha Forum here) was that Sony never intended to takeover Minolta's business but that Minolta decided to cut-and-run as soon as the deal was signed and they left Sony 'holding the baby'!

Oly are well-established in the digital photography field. If Sony 'absorbed' them all that would happen would be for Panasonic to get a bunch more customers as former Oly owners would have to chose between the two companies. Sony would be better advised leaving Oly as a separate company covering the M43rds market and borrowing their technology where appropriate (forget IBIS, I want the Oly JPEG engine!) for E-mount and A-mount

Again, agreed. Big plus for Ollie is getting Sony's best sensors. Panasonic doesn't get them. Big plus for NEX if FF develops will be getting Ollies' 5-axis gyroscopic IBIS.

Also..new rumors now that Ollie and Fuji might be making FF mirrorless cameras. Do I care?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon 1 S1 NEX5R Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Riquez
Contributing MemberPosts: 521Gear list
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

SAR5 rumours stating that the two new full-frame bodies will be DSLR lookalikes and will be called the a7 and a7r

You may have mis-read some of the information given on SAR because they repeatedly said the A7 & A7r will be the same NEX style, not DSLR shape.

"the first two E-mount Full Frame cameras will be named “A7” and “A7r“. Both have exactly the same design (with NEX-7 grip, EVF in the middle and RX1 size)."

"the camera has a Full Frame E-mount, has many of the NEX-7 controls and NEX-7 grip…but the viewfinder is in the middle!!! And no, it doesn’t have the design from the A3000!"

Riquez's gear list:Riquez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,085Gear list
Like?
NEX-7 replacement due in October. So the answer to your question is: No.

...and there will be other NEX cameras beyond that.  Will they always look like NEX5 clones? Probably not; But for a while, I'm sure they'll resemble the current NEX - with maybe a design tweak here and there.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM
Kiichiro
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?

NEX is the most popular SONY camera. FF is not for everyone so I would think NEX-3, NEX-5, and NEX-6 will continue on. The NEX-7 might be priced out in a couple of year so I would see it gone or replaced by FF.

Kiichiro's gear list:Kiichiro's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Jonathan_Whiteman
Contributing MemberPosts: 790Gear list
Like?

I'm still on an original 5 and loving it. I've got plenty of upgrade space left and don't really care if there's no more NEX in the future. There's plenty of other great options to switch to and the e-mount will survive so I can still sell the lenses. I'd like it to continue if possible life is change...

Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,243Gear list
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

SAR5 rumours stating that the two new full-frame bodies will be DSLR lookalikes and will be called the a7 and a7r

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-and-the-nex-ff-names-are-a7-and-a7r-all-high-end-cameras-to-be-alpha/

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/nex-ff-biggest-surprise-sony-decides-to-go-for-an-olympus-omd-alike-design/

I had previous spectulated that the a3000 release suggested Sony might be planning to abandon the rangfinder styling at the bottom and maybe the middle of the NEX range, but I had never imagined they were going to drop it from the whole range!

If this rumour is to believed (if!) then it suggests to me the following product ranges, or something similar

aX000 - entry level APS-C mirroless, equivalent to current NEX 3 and 5

aX00 - mid-range and semi-pro APS-C mirrorless, equivalent to current NEX 7

aXX - APS-C alpha mount bodies

aX - Full Frame alpha and E mount bodies (I guess the A99 replacement will be the A9 and will be considered the 'Pro' model in Sony's range)

Again, if the rumour is true then going by the styling decisions of the a3000 and now the a7/a7r it appears that the 'NEX' rangefinder body style might be dead Sony will be going ahead with a DSLR shape for future mirrorless models. That would explain the decision to not give the FF camera the name 'NEX' - will we see any further NEX models?

The full quote:

"Sony decided to name all high end cameras as “Alpha“. No matter if these will be real A-mount cameras, E-mount DSLR shaped cameras or more compact E-mount cameras like the RX1 and NEX series. All High End models will be Alpha. That’s why the first two E-mount Full Frame cameras will be named “A7” and “A7r“. Both have exactly the same design (with NEX-7 grip, EVF in the middle and RX1 size). The difference is in the sensor. The A7 has 24MP sensor, more fps and different AF speed. The A7r has a 36MP sensor and less fps (and I have been told a bit “different” AF)."

Nothing about DSLR, nothing about the NEX RF style being dropped, and no the sky is not falling.

I personally am dismayed by this possibility and if it is true then I think Sony will alienate many of their current customers in a rather lame attempt to chase after the sort of people who will probably buy Canon and Nikon anyway, whatever is done to tempt them to change brand

Sony have obviously been using SAR to perform some kind of viral-marketing and build-up hype around their upcoming releases. Now they really need to give some firm information about what the future is for the NEX line of mirrorless and the Alpha mount camera ranges

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
robert1955
Senior MemberPosts: 1,555
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

MrTaikitso wrote:

1. I was looking in the window of a popular camera shop here in the UK and saw a triangle of brand new boxed 5R + PZ kits priced at, wait for it, £349.95. I bought the very same kit 6 months ago from John Lewis for £600. It then fell to £500. (And I got the difference back.) They are obviously not selling well, even if the 5T has replaced the 5R.

I'm not sure you can draw that conclusion from the pricing. The NEX-5R is now an obsolete model and so Sony will be offering job lots to the resellers at super-low prices just to get rid of them

I'm not even sure he is correct in asuming this pricing developement. What I see from a price trackking site here is a rather oridnary slide from introduction to end of mid life. Now the model is EOL, you see some shops [not Sony itself] discounting, which suggests that Sony hasn't got much undelivered stock. At the moment you see the average price even going up as only shops that aren't paying much attentio still have it

This is one of the really strange aspects to the NEX-5T release. It must have cost Sony a fortune in changing documentation, package and applying for new certification/approvals for the 5T, as well as stock clearance of unsold 5R models, when basically there were seemingly no real changes to the new camera!

As the model change is limited and aparently well managed those things need not be very costly. The certification is essentially only in the one item added.

robert1955
Like?
In reply to captura, 6 months ago

captura wrote:

... I just reacted a bit because I'm really fed up with inconsistent SAR rumors, although I can't blame them too much because it's SAR's business to stay in business, after all.I can't blame Sony at all for any of this because they believe in being secretive and I can't say as I blame them. They need, after all, to protect their profits. I suggest taking SAR rumors with a modicum of discretion.

They recently seemed to be covering all bases. Last week they had a Nex7 replacement, then it was two FF of which one top-end and today the two A7'FF's are to be midlevel

About the naming: it occurred to me that Sony may be obfuscating on purpose by maybe having 3 name series for E-mount lenses and usong "a" and "alpha" that all of these are E-mount and that not much is happening in A-mount.

I do not see them abandonnig rangefinder style.

new boyz
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?

According to the latest leak, the new A5000 is seems to be the old NEX-5T with a new name.

new boyz's gear list:new boyz's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sony 50mm F1.4 +4 more
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,607
Like?
In reply to new boyz, 6 months ago

new boyz wrote:

According to the latest leak, the new A5000 is seems to be the old NEX-5T with a new name.

Unfortunately it's probably a fake

The image is actually located on the NEX-5T product page:

http://www.sony.com.au/nex-camera/range/NEX5T/569123

Scroll to the split Smartphone/Camera image and then click on 'view image' in your browser and the whole picture appears as per SAR

Why would they have an A5000 image on the NEX-5T product page?

Very, very, very, very strange!

parallaxproblem
Like?

captura wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

captura wrote:

In order for Sony-NEX to fix the fiddly menu/control problem all they would need to do is provide a Super Control Panel just like Olympus.' The SCP is available by one touch on the control dial and about ten common items such as ISO can be changed from there, directly. In fact, NEX already HAS what looks like a SCP...the black and white information table

On the NEX-6 you can activate this screen to become the 'Quick Navi' screen which then allows you to change the values in the way you describe. See the 'Quick Navi' section on the following page of the DPReview for more details:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-nex-6/5

For some reason the NEX-5R (and NEX-5T from what I read in the manual) do not allow you to do this, even when the EVF is fitted! I have already complained about this in a couple of previous posts but sadly nobody picked-up on it

Correct. It's as if the development team at Sony did not finish their job of programming the menu of the 5R. Turning the Navi wheel of my 5R just does the same things as the other wheel. (Except for changing the shutter speed and apeerture simultaneously. )

Touching any of the items on the Quick-Navi screen on the 5R results in a message that "Touch operation cannot be used in this screen." Does anybody care? This could be fixed easily with a firmware update. Are you listening, Sony? And why didn't they fix this oversight in the 5T?

I think it's a deliberate policy by Sony, like that annoying pre-flash which can't be disabled and makes any kind of remote flash activites with nex unecessarily painful

The official NEX-6 announcement says "Also inherited from high-end A-mount cameras, a “Function” key and pro-focused Quick Navi interface allows fingertip adjustment of settings without taking the viewfinder away from the shooter’s eye." so I suspect it's a rather crude way of differentiating NEX-5R/T from NEX-6:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/12/Sony-announces-NEX-6-16MP-enthusiast-mirrorless-camera-with-Wi-Fi

The EVF is a great accessory, but Sony haven't taken much effort to integrate it into the NEX-5R.  My big beef is with the flexible spot - this is not necessary with the LCD as you can touch the area you want to focus on and the camera responds.  Obviously this is not possible when using the EVF so I must either have one 'slot' on my custom menu permanently devoted to focus area just so I can instigate the flexible spot dialog when the EVF is attached, or permanently devote my 'B' custom button to flexible spot (less desirable because I like the way the spot returns to centre between shots when flexible spot is not set).  Why didn't they give NEX-5R/T owners the choice of having different custom menues when the EVF is fitted, or the option of automatically going into flexible spot focus when the EVF is fitted?

Frustrating...

captura
Like?

The 5R/T are not fully developed cameras. That they didn't take the opportunity to compete the job with the 5T speaks to something... maybe abandonment.

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon 1 S1 NEX5R Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +10 more
captura
Like?
In reply to Lightshow, 6 months ago

Lightshow wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-and-the-nex-ff-names-are-a7-and-a7r-all-high-end-cameras-to-be-alpha/

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/nex-ff-biggest-surprise-sony-decides-to-go-for-an-olympus-omd-alike-design/

I had previous spectulated that the a3000 release suggested Sony might be planning to abandon the rangfinder styling at the bottom and maybe the middle of the NEX range, but I had never imagined they were going to drop it from the whole range!

If this rumour is to believed (if!) then it suggests to me the following product ranges, or something similar

aX000 - entry level APS-C mirroless, equivalent to current NEX 3 and 5

aX00 - mid-range and semi-pro APS-C mirrorless, equivalent to current NEX 7

aXX - APS-C alpha mount bodies

aX - Full Frame alpha and E mount bodies (I guess the A99 replacement will be the A9 and will be considered the 'Pro' model in Sony's range)

Again, if the rumour is true then going by the styling decisions of the a3000 and now the a7/a7r it appears that the 'NEX' rangefinder body style might be dead Sony will be going ahead with a DSLR shape for future mirrorless models. That would explain the decision to not give the FF camera the name 'NEX' - will we see any further NEX models?

The full quote:

"Sony decided to name all high end cameras as “Alpha“. No matter if these will be real A-mount cameras, E-mount DSLR shaped cameras or more compact E-mount cameras like the RX1 and NEX series. All High End models will be Alpha. That’s why the first two E-mount Full Frame cameras will be named “A7” and “A7r“. Both have exactly the same design (with NEX-7 grip, EVF in the middle and RX1 size). The difference is in the sensor. The A7 has 24MP sensor, more fps and different AF speed. The A7r has a 36MP sensor and less fps (and I have been told a bit “different” AF)."

Nothing about DSLR, nothing about the NEX RF style being dropped, and no the sky is not falling.

All e-body and A-body cameras have always been Alphas. But the new A7 and A7r will not be named Alpha 'NEX' but Alpha 'A.' Same family as the SLT's they are replacing, and the A-3000. So these are not FF cameras. The FF camera will be the NEX-9. Maybe.

Anyway this is SAR's flavor of the week, and what will the new names be next week?

I personally am dismayed by this possibility and if it is true then I think Sony will alienate many of their current customers in a rather lame attempt to chase after the sort of people who will probably buy Canon and Nikon anyway, whatever is done to tempt them to change brand

Sony have obviously been using SAR to perform some kind of viral-marketing and build-up hype around their upcoming releases. Now they really need to give some firm information about what the future is for the NEX line of mirrorless and the Alpha mount camera ranges

I doubt that SAR has any relationship with SAR at all. Sony is being tight-lipped about their plans and SAR is speculating all over the place.

captura
Like?
In reply to robert1955, 6 months ago

robert1955 wrote:

captura wrote:

... I just reacted a bit because I'm really fed up with inconsistent SAR rumors, although I can't blame them too much because it's SAR's business to stay in business, after all.I can't blame Sony at all for any of this because they believe in being secretive and I can't say as I blame them. They need, after all, to protect their profits. I suggest taking SAR rumors with a modicum of discretion.

They recently seemed to be covering all bases. Last week they had a Nex7 replacement, then it was two FF of which one top-end and today the two A7'FF's are to be midlevel

About the naming: it occurred to me that Sony may be obfuscating on purpose by maybe having 3 name series for E-mount lenses and usong "a" and "alpha" that all of these are E-mount and that not much is happening in A-mount.

But who is obfuscating; Sony or SAR? I haven't heard a peep from Sony about any of this and why should they join a dialogue invented and controlled by SAR? It is Sony's practise to keep silent until  they make an announcement.

robert1955
Like?

captura wrote:

robert1955 wrote:

captura wrote:

But who is obfuscating; Sony or SAR? I haven't heard a peep from Sony about any of this and why should they join a dialogue invented and controlled by SAR? It is Sony's practise to keep silent until they make an announcement.

True, but we seem to be getting close to a release of something. In this phase the number of people 'in the know' is rapidly increasing, and an increasing number of them are not under direct Sony control and/or may feel they can leak with relative impunity.

There used to be a poster on the Canon X0D forums who had a great track record telling the specs two-three weeks before release. That sort of leaking is hard to prevent, though that poster was found out (and later posted only in Pentax or nikon forums, often professing his hatred for all things Canon).

And we can get back to the meaning of the names as if and when. The subject will mature

But-Wikipedia: but- is a chemical prefix.

parallaxproblem
Like?

captura wrote:

The 5R/T are not fully developed cameras. That they didn't take the opportunity to compete the job with the 5T speaks to something... maybe abandonment.

Yes, the more I think about this comment the more correct it seems.  I guess that is why I don't like my 5R in the same way as I like the original 5, even though the specs are clearly superior.  The Original NEX 5 was a coherent and nicely put-together camera at a very good price - a very good entrance for the NEX range IMHO.  The 5R/T isn't a bad camera, but it's a bit of a 'dogs-dinner' in some respects and has a surprising number of 'rough edges' for a 3rd generation product

The best example of this is the 'useless' top dial on the 5R/T... every review comments on how little purpose this dial serves with the current firmware implementation and many people have suggested assigning the rear control dial to direct EV compensation.  Why didn't this simple change get added to the 5T?

You might well be right about the 'abandonment' aspect...

captura
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

captura wrote:

Yes, the more I think about this comment the more correct it seems. I guess that is why I don't like my 5R in the same way as I like the original 5, even though the specs are clearly superior. The Original NEX 5 was a coherent and nicely put-together camera at a very good price - a very good entrance for the NEX range IMHO. The 5R/T isn't a bad camera, but it's a bit of a 'dogs-dinner' in some respects and has a surprising number of 'rough edges' for a 3rd generation product

The best example of this is the 'useless' top dial on the 5R/T... every review comments on how little purpose this dial serves with the current firmware implementation and many people have suggested assigning the rear control dial to direct EV compensation. Why didn't this simple change get added to the 5T?

You might well be right about the 'abandonment' aspect...

Worst case scenario: they may all be E and A- ILC's in a year or two. And that would be a mistake.

Dan W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,774Gear list
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote

I also get the feeling that the NEX-5R wasn't designed by the same people that did the two previous NEX-5 models as various detail changes really 'jar' with the original concept: strap holding lugs, button colour, inversed LCD with resistive instead of capacitative screen and removal of protective screen and light sensor, plastic used for the top plate. I wonder if there were changes in the NEX design team and if so then why those changes happened? Again, just speculation on my part

If Sony used a new team to design the 5R, it was a good decision overall, IMO. The function button and control wheel are useful. As for the color of the buttons, do you really look at them when shooting or just feel for them? I don't have much problem getting to the buttons but if they were raised a bit and/or textured, it would be an improvement. I do think they look nice.

I suppose the other items you mentioned are cost cutting measures.

Truth be told, I like the design (the looks) of my C3 best of all, but the 5R is easier to use and has some features that the C3 lacks.

DW

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7000 NEX5R
parallaxproblem
Like?
In reply to Dan W, 6 months ago

Dan W wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote

I also get the feeling that the NEX-5R wasn't designed by the same people that did the two previous NEX-5 models as various detail changes really 'jar' with the original concept: strap holding lugs, button colour, inversed LCD with resistive instead of capacitative screen and removal of protective screen and light sensor, plastic used for the top plate. I wonder if there were changes in the NEX design team and if so then why those changes happened? Again, just speculation on my part

If Sony used a new team to design the 5R, it was a good decision overall, IMO.

I'm afraid I think it was a really poor decision. The original NEX team were young and had a strong 'concept' of what they wanted to design. Here they are talking about it:

http://www.sony.com.ph/productcontent/405946/productcategory/e-mount-camera

Whoever was responsible for the 5R update unfortunately did a 'design by numbers' job that seemed to randomly add a few elements from 'conventional cameras', and which wasn't properly field tested IMO (otherwise the button and strap issues would have been noticed).  The camera does not feel 'coherent' to me in the way that the original 5 does, even though it has better features and specifications.  If it was the same team who designed the 5 and 5N as then did the 5R (which I doubt) then they must have been pretty dispirited and un-motivated by that point

The 5R/5T is certainly not a bad camera and there are are some very useful new features in the 5R/5T over previous models:

- the level guage is useful, my 'portrait' orientation photos are less often crooked now!

- some of the apps can be useful - if you are able to download them (many can not because of country restrictions)!

- the AF is marginally better

- the 180 degree LCD can be fun (but is not essential)

- it's nicer to have 6 custom menu items than 5 items on the 5n and 3 items on the original 5, but this is purely firmware/marketing.  I also notice that the RX100 and RX100II have 7 custom menu items...

However, unfortunately, as captura said, the NEX-5R is not a completed design...

The function button and control wheel are useful.

These two buttons 'ought' to be useful but:

On the Original 5 you get to the custom menu by pressing the button in the middle of the rear dial which for me works better than pressing the Fn button... my thumb is usually already hovering over the back panel at that point in the process and the fn button requires instead the use of my forefinger, which I have to move from the shtter so I need to use two fingers instead of one if I want to use the fn button and the whole process therefore takes longer than if I simply pressed the centre button with my thumb as on the Original 5!

The top control wheel is useful in 'M' mode but it sadly serves no other purpose at the current time. It is also in the wrong position for me as it needs to be turned by the thumb, but in this case it is a long way from the rear panel and so moving my thumb there is awkward and I almost never do it (in M mode it also required moving the thumb between the two wheels, which is annoying). If the control wheel was near the shutter and controlled by the forfinger then it would be much better (you could control both parameters of the camera in 'M' mode simultaneously rather than having to switch between with the thumb)... at this point in the dialog the other settings have ususally been made and so using the forefinger would not be as disadvantageous as it was earlier

So Fn button with forefinger is wrong, it should be the thumb instead...  and control wheel with thumb is wrong, it should be the forefinger instead!

Part of my problems here may come from having used the original 5 for several years and even after quite a long time of 5r usage I haven't really accomodated the new button layout (which in itself speaks volumes as I normally adapt quite quickly to new cameras)

As for the color of the buttons, do you really look at them when shooting or just feel for them? I don't have much problem getting to the buttons but if they were raised a bit and/or textured, it would be an improvement.

I hold the camera at waste height and tilt the LCD upwards - I know many other people do this because it is very stable in that position. From there it is very difficult to see the buttons and when I want to press them I am usually still looking at the camera as I am using them to select something on the LCD screen

I agree that texturing or raising the buttons would have been a sensible thing to do (particularly if you are using the accessory EVF), but they didn't do it

What I find very strange is that they made the buttons 'invisible' when they were easily visible on the original 5 and the 5N... there was no cost reduction here, only a reduction in functioinality!

I do think they look nice.

So do I, but they make the camera less nice for me to use, and also I suspect for some other people

It is pretty poor when a camera company reduces functionality from a previous model purely for aesthetics (not saying it doesn't happen, just that it is poor when it does!)

I suppose the other items you mentioned are cost cutting measures.

The LCD screen changes are probably cost related. However the changes to the way the strap is fixed to the 5R would probably have cost more money then the straps lugs on the earlier models!

Now there are eyelets that rattle while you are taking movies and the camera no longer hangs downwards when it has a lens fitted... but nor does it exactly hang in the normal position, either but rather hangs and an unstable 45 degree angle!

The strap position on the original NEX 5 an NEX 5N was a masterstroke as it protected both the LCD from bashing against your chest and getting scratched by any zips etc which you might have on your clothes, and it also protected the lens from 'jutting' out in front of you and being at risk from bumps or people walking into you etc.  Sadly these benefits no longer exist in the 5R/5T

Truth be told, I like the design (the looks) of my C3 best of all, but the 5R is easier to use and has some features that the C3 lacks.

I personally like the styling of all the NEX-5 models - well proportioned with a nice blend of utilitarian but futuristic styling and with a surprising feeling of quality and solidity when you handle them

I think the Original NEX-5 was a very strong entry into the market and that the 5N built nicely upon that and seems to be an exceptionally nice camera.  I cannot say the same for the 5R which is in some ways better than the previous models, but in other ways less good (probably 'slightly' better overall)

It is particularly disappointing that Sony has not improved the 5R/5T with what could be pretty minor firmware changes to knock-off some of the 'rough edges' (plenty of good suggestions in other threads).  That they have not made any changes with the introduction of the 5T adds to suspicions that it might be the last 'NEX' camera and that from hereon we might onyl be seeing 'ax000' models which may well all have a DSLR styling

captura
Like?

Although the 5R and the 6 are basically the same camera internally, they did a slightly better job with the 6.  For example, leaving the active selection feature of the Navi-screen disabled may have been a sloppy accident by someone as opposed to intentional. If this had been done intentionally, it would have not been so obscured...no one even picked up on that oversight until now.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads