Ricoh Caplio GX100 Users

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
eilivk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,461Gear list
Like?
Re: GX100 NR and sharpness adjustment?
In reply to schaki, 9 months ago

Thanks, it's the same for GX100, should have found it myself. Also Color Depth and Contrast, could be interesting to try. - Just trying out the 0.79 conversion lens, interesting, but don't know if I will keep it.

eilivk's gear list:eilivk's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Ricoh CX4 Sony RX1 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,299Gear list
Like?
In reply to eilivk, 9 months ago

eilivk wrote:

Thanks, it's the same for GX100, should have found it myself. Also Color Depth and Contrast, could be interesting to try. - Just trying out the 0.79 conversion lens, interesting, but don't know if I will keep it.

The images may look soft with sharpness backed off all the way but I find less artefacts if I sharpen them myself.

To me though, shooting raw still reigns supreme with these cameras.

Carl

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,076Gear list
Like?
In reply to brian46, 9 months ago

brian46 wrote:

That is how it works on the gx200.
The three available adjustments are contrast, sharpness and color depth.

There is settings for Contrast, sharpness and saturation in the GX100 as well as far as I can remember.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
John Knuhtsen
Contributing MemberPosts: 583
Like?
Re: Ricoh Caplio GX100 Users
In reply to cgarrard, 9 months ago

I had a gx100, bought on discount as one of the last samples on the market here. But unfortunately it was stolen from me in Santiago of Chile some years ago. Together with all my day-carry-things: glasses, passport, mobile, driving card, credit cards, etc.

So it was a horrible experience. But I remember it as a solid build, very limited zoom range (but good lens), quite bad viewfinder. Sensor was too small, of course.

I have replaced it directly with a Nikon P300. As well as my Nex6. I normally carry both.

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,777
Like?
In reply to John Knuhtsen, 9 months ago

John Knuhtsen wrote:

I had a gx100, bought on discount as one of the last samples on the market here. But unfortunately it was stolen from me in Santiago of Chile some years ago. Together with all my day-carry-things: glasses, passport, mobile, driving card, credit cards, etc.

So it was a horrible experience. But I remember it as a solid build, very limited zoom range (but good lens), quite bad viewfinder. Sensor was too small, of course.

I have replaced it directly with a Nikon P300. As well as my Nex6. I normally carry both.

John,

I still have my GX100. It is pretty pristine, I did not use it much. The GRD at the coal face was just such a better camera all round. The GRD had the better, faster, lens and was a trifle smaller. Imaged just a little better and was marginally better built. All the GX100 ever offered was a much better R series camera with limited zoom capabilities. So if short slowish zoom was a prime need then the GX was a great camera. Best in its class. But the Panasonic LX had more features and was ruthlessly compared with feature by feature on this forum at the time.

In the end I think the GX has stood the test of time better than the LX of the day as "features" do not necessarily make a well thought out camera.  Maybe just as much as the GR might be still be revered long after the Nikon A has faded into obscurity - but I draw a long bow there.

These days it seems dated with a small relatively low resolution screen and a menu list that you can whizz through and learn in a manner of minutes. Hardly the powerhouse that the GRDIII/IV became.

I like my GX100, and still marvel at how good it can image, but as said, I don't use it much. Rose tinted spectacles make it seem better than it really ever was. Those still using the GX series must be enjoying it but Ricoh cameras moved on from those days with a vengence.

That the concept of a small sensor limited range slow zoom lens was a flawed marketing idea is shown by the fact that the GXR-S10 seems to have been poorly received. Passed off as being too large physically and too small a sensor it cut no mustard with having the most powerful operating system support of any small sensor short zoom camera in its class. GX300 dreamers should have moved up and found everything that they ever needed in this combination that they did not all do this is the best indicator that a single bodied, smaller physically, GX300 would not have sold well either. What people really wanted was a powerhouse simple point and shoot like the RX100. Long on features and short on intuitive control and firmware support. Go for it guys ....

I like my GXR-S10 but like the GX100 I don't use it that much.

Ricoh tend to make thoughtful cameras for the long haul. High specification but "mentally" simple cameras tend to sell better. It would be hard for Ricoh to get market purchase for any small sensor slow short zoom camera not mattter how much of a Q ship it was in firmware and intuitive use terms.

Cameras sell on specifications and are kept simply because they satisfy when used.  If you buy unsatisfactory user-cameras then you must keep buying by specification until you strike it lucky that a highly specified camera is also intuitive in use.

Vale GX series, we knew you well, great cameras but they did not have enough "features" to sell in large quantities to the masses and they did not have enough muscle to appeal to deep thinkers either. So they were a niche camera that satisfied those that bought them with an open mind and they served that purpose well - at least until Panasonic unceremoniously bundled them out of that niche - now apparently occupied by the RX100?

Wide to mid range constant f2.0 zoom aps-c module for the GXR? (Even the present GXR). Now we are talking! But it will not be small, nor will it be a folding lens. But I am all ears, when can I buy one? .... GX300 on steroids, deep thinkers on alert, even the popular market would be impressed  (by the specification). Make it fixed f2.8 and internal focusing and we will all still be impressed. Don't forget a manual focus ring on the len barrel.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

cgarrard
Like?
To each his own Tom
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 9 months ago

Thorsten Overgaard practically made his career using the Digilux 2 - a 5mp digicam with a decade old sensor. Sometimes using equipment that is less adequate than newer models makes you think the photography process through more- equaling better images.

A photographer learns how to make the equipment work for him, not excuses why it doesn't.

I'm with him on that, 100%.

I like using the GX100, limitations and all.

Carl

John Knuhtsen
Contributing MemberPosts: 583
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 9 months ago

Have you tried a hacked ixus ?

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

http://lukeroberts.us/2008/04/ixus-70-with-raw-support/

7 Mpixels, raw support and 3x zoom. It could be almost as gx100, but smaller.

Tom Caldwell
Like?
Re: To each his own Tom

cgarrard wrote:

Thorsten Overgaard practically made his career using the Digilux 2 - a 5mp digicam with a decade old sensor. Sometimes using equipment that is less adequate than newer models makes you think the photography process through more- equaling better images.

A photographer learns how to make the equipment work for him, not excuses why it doesn't.

I'm with him on that, 100%.

I like using the GX100, limitations and all.

Carl

Carl

I never said that I didn't like the GX.  In fact I would never part with my GX100 and I enjoy using it.  It always surprises me how well it images.

But the fact is that it must have sold so badly that Ricoh stopped making it.

I can only trawl my memory banks but at the time of the GX200 owners were angling for something to beat the LX4/5 (cannot remember which) list of features.  Quite a few Ricoh owners abandoned the brand then including one of my sons who bought the LX.  At the time I cared nought about the LX after having the LX1 immediately before my original GRD.  The GRD did not have the LX1 lengthy list of specifications (zoom, image stabilisation, etc) but imaged very well and was a joy to use.

So I still think that specifications and marketing sell.  I was never enticed back to the LX and continue to enjoy the GX100 when I get it out for a run.  However I think that Panasonic had made it pretty plain that it was going to out-specify, out market and undercut the price of anything Ricoh was going to make the GX into.

However years later the GX still has its band of loyal followers but I doubt if the then LX model is similarly revered.

My thoughts are that the heat in that niche of the market is simply either lack of interest by buyer with mobile phones or heavy marketing and showcase presence.  Today I think that the GX would have to face up to the current LX and also the RX100.

Compared to their flashy specifications anything that Ricoh might make would seem rather tame even though anyone that saw beyond the hype has always found that Ricoh products iamge beyond more specification.  Even on here some have tried the RX100 and have come back simply because it is not an over-friendly camera to use.  I don't think anyone has said that the RX100 is not a good camera otherwise.

I think that Ricoh must also have a limited number of personnel to design and produce new cameras.  Perhaps at the time the GXR and the GRDIII were under way - I am glad that they did not dilute their attention by trying to make a GX300 that might be able to complete with the popular features of the LX of the day.  Ricoh would surely have not won the war for the hearts and minds of those just wanting a mass-popular short zoom small sensor carry about that had to be fairly cheap and tick all the boxes - like a fast wide lens.

So the GX model was unique, it was a great camera, but Ricoh had ventured outside its usual niche and met a big bully after market share.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Like?
In reply to John Knuhtsen, 9 months ago

John Knuhtsen wrote:

Have you tried a hacked ixus ?

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

http://lukeroberts.us/2008/04/ixus-70-with-raw-support/

7 Mpixels, raw support and 3x zoom. It could be almost as gx100, but smaller.

Not that adventurous, I did have the very first 2mp Ixus on issue.  Liked it quite a lot, unfortunately it put me on to the slippery digital camera acquisition path.  I grown man like me should have known better .....

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

cgarrard
Like?
An ISO 800 Test

Part of my write up I'm sharing early...

ISO 800 and 1600 look much better in modern raw converters than in 2007 I say.

Carl

ISO 800 100% crop then full size image below

(very low light, 1 artificial lamp in the room)

cgarrard
Like?
Stacking via Raw- Interval Method (check this out)

Stacking is one way to get better IQ from a small sensor. I believe the minimum amount of shots to see a major difference is 5 shots. When you are on vacation with a small camera and small tripod, you can get some really good landscapes out of a small sensor that may not perform all that well in DR or color depth with just one shot (see DXOmark for example).

The way to get better shots? Stack 5 or more. The way I like to do it with the GX100 is to use the interval timer to shoot a series of 5-8 shots, then stack them later in PS.

This works to increase DR, decrease noise, increase color depth. Here is an extreme example using ISO 1600 in dim light. The GX100 is NOT known for being a camera that was good to use at ISO 1600 however, with 5 shots stacked, suddenly, it becomes very useful.

Think of noise as the holes in a slice of swiss cheese. If you randomly stack 5 slices of swiss cheese pretty soon the gaps of data (or noise) start to disappear. Stack enough and they all disappear. Noise causes degradation and is the major contributor to reduced sensor scores in the three key areas I mentioned.

Take a look at the two images, which looks bettter to you? Suddenly there is detail where it was obliterated before. Think of how this helps even at ISO 100 in shadow areas especially!

Carl

RunStrom
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?

I have a Gx-100 and use it on a daily basis. As a walk around p&s I have still not found a camera to replace it. There are many small cameras that have faster glass and higher megapixels and I've tried them all but they all fail in one aspect - the menus and use of the camera. At the time I got the Gx-100 it had the widest lens, could shoot in raw, came with optional vf and 21mm wide lens. The new Sony Rx-100 and (II) comes close with fantastic images, but it feels slippy in the hands and the menus are garish. One Gx-100 user got a great deal. Under warranty his camera was fitted with the S10 internals and this minor upgrade made him very happy.

RunStrom's gear list:RunStrom's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon D3100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +6 more
fotoword
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?

Hi Carl,

I still have it but don't really use it any more. Just went back and looked at a swag of pics I'd taken with it. It's probably the only camera that I was happy to use in Manual (M) mode because it was so easy. The lens was pretty sharp too really. I also tried my hand at street shooting with it and it was just fun.  It just made it easy to take shots that I probably wouldn't try with larger non-fixed lens cameras.  It's probably just nostalgia but now I am thinking of trying the GR!

Here's a random pic I took on a holiday a while back.

Thanks,

Paul

fotoword's gear list:fotoword's gear list
Pentax Optio A20 Ricoh Caplio GX100 Samsung TL350 Canon PowerShot G1 X Samsung NX100 +6 more
jonwe12
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to fotoword, 9 months ago

Still got and use the gx100. I bought it in preference to the Panasonic lx ( better ui, better lens) and the grd ( thought I needed the flexibility of the zoom - wrong).  Nowadays it spends it's life set to 24mm in raw mode and we me hankering after the new gr.  It owes me nothing so gets taken to the beach, shoved in pockets and bags and acts as a wide angle backup to the d700 when attached to a big lens.

Positives: sharp wide open at 24mm, raw, great ui, macro, build quality, perfect feel, stealth, makes me feel good!

Negatives: excruciatingly slow raw write speed, not too sharp and slow at the long end, noisy at anything over ISO 80,  the Caplio branding (why?), worlds slowest af, limited dynamic range.

The positives significantly out weight the negatives for me and I still love it.

schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,076Gear list
Like?
In reply to jonwe12, 9 months ago

jonwe12 wrote:

Negatives: excruciatingly slow raw write speed, not too sharp and slow at the long end, noisy at anything over ISO 80, the Caplio branding (why?), worlds slowest af, limited dynamic range.

Like some other old Ricohs the GX100 card writing can be slow, not only depending on what speed level a card is rated at but also the brand sometimes. It is possible to get down to around 4 secs or slightly below.

http://ricohforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4&start=0

That the lens is soft at 72mm is down to sample variation. My GX100 was also sharp w-o at 24mm but I never used it a whole lot at 72mm so I don't know how mine was at the long focal length.

I did not hang on to it for a very long time as I thought that it not offered anything that made sens to me except for the zoom over the GRDI.

The AF is reasonably fast at least at the wider end of the zoom. Unfortunately the Anti-shake adds a bit of unwanted sound which reminds about a croaking magpie.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads