Nikon and Sony to show Medium Format Cameras at Expo

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
davetj_uk
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
Nikon and Sony to show Medium Format Cameras at Expo
10 months ago
khaledgawdat
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon and Sony to show Medium Format Cameras at Expo
In reply to davetj_uk, 10 months ago

Canon is working on a medium format system, Nikon has a patent for a medium format lens. Seems that FF people think bigger not smaller is better
--
K.Gawdat

 khaledgawdat's gear list:khaledgawdat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1 Sigma SD1 Pentax 645D +52 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
HSway
Senior MemberPosts: 2,632
Like?
Re: Nikon and Sony to show Medium Format Cameras at Expo
In reply to khaledgawdat, 10 months ago

I wouldn’t be surprised by MF development.

khaledgawdat wrote:

Canon is working on a medium format system, Nikon has a patent for a medium format lens.

Seems that FF people think bigger not smaller is better
--
K.Gawdat

Very few people think smaller is better or bigger is better. But most everyone thinks that accurate is best. MF user included.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,488Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon and Sony to show Medium Format Cameras at Expo
In reply to khaledgawdat, 10 months ago

khaledgawdat wrote:

Canon is working on a medium format system, Nikon has a patent for a medium format lens. Seems that FF people think bigger not smaller is better
--
K.Gawdat

I don't think its a "bigger is better" argument. It's a "we're seeing slowing sales and what can we do to create some action" thing. Notice how they're putting out new "niche" cameras like the A.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sop51
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
They should get back to their roots
In reply to davetj_uk, 10 months ago

Nikon once made excellent 120 RF camera lenses for other camera manufacturers; my old Plaubel Makina 670 with a Nikkor 80mm f/2.8 produces sharper images than a lot of the newer Fuji, Mamiya, Pentax, Schneider and Zeiss MF lenses I've owned.

Nikon produced some of the finest LF lenses till just a few years ago; I still use Nikkor 120 SW and 150 SW lenses for 8x10 work.  They also made some of the finest enlarging lenses; the 105 Apo El-Nikkor was considered by many to be the best MF enlarging lens ever made.

http://nikomat.org/priv/camera/mednikkor/index-e.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,615Gear list
Like?
Re: They should get back to their roots
In reply to sop51, 10 months ago

It makes sense from a marketing perspective. With FF prices coming down and FF mirrorless about to hit the markets MF seems an upgrade path for Canon/Nikon just like 5D paved the way for digital 35mm.

Greg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,080Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon and Sony to show Medium Format Cameras at Expo
In reply to davetj_uk, 10 months ago

davetj_uk wrote:

Is there any truth in this?

http://www.cameraegg.org/nikon-and-sony-will-show-medium-format-cameras-at-photoplus-expo/

Oh, make one with 645 Format, and scaleable to 66 (just using the whole image circle), with Hassy V lens adapter included, for say $3,500 body only?  You will get my business.

Just got 5 AIS f/1.2, f/1.4 lenses for my D800e, for the price of one Leica M 35mm f/2 cron.  Now I stand ready to add a Hv zoom (140-280 Schneider? 60-120? which first?), and a Hv-CZ 40mm, both for the price of a M 35/2Cron, to add to my existing Hv CZs.

Hurray, back to the good old days, with digital!

 Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,682Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon and Sony to show Medium Format Cameras at Expo
In reply to davetj_uk, 10 months ago

It reality it makes sense.  The first round of MF digital were simply retreaded MF SLR technology with a different back.  You have all the issues with a mirror box with MF SLR - except the mirror box is bigger cost more to build causes more vibration, etc.  With the mirror-less technology coming along, a MF digital based on a mirror-less design makes a lot of sense, would be less expensive to build.

There are a few hurdles. First sensor cost is proportional to the sensor area not the linear dimension of the sensor.  Secondly the EVF would have to be better than they are today and third new lenses would be required.  However, it would be a good move.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

 Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leicaman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,429
Like?
Re: It makes sense?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 10 months ago

Why put so much R&D into a MF camera to open new market segments while seemingly commiting corporate suicide by totally ignore customer service and quality control thus alienating what had always been your loyal customer base?

I realize that the P&S market is going away... but it's still a huge misstep.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon and Sony to show Medium Format Cameras at Expo
In reply to Truman Prevatt, 10 months ago

Truman Prevatt wrote:

It reality it makes sense. The first round of MF digital were simply retreaded MF SLR technology with a different back. You have all the issues with a mirror box with MF SLR - except the mirror box is bigger cost more to build causes more vibration, etc. With the mirror-less technology coming along, a MF digital based on a mirror-less design makes a lot of sense, would be less expensive to build.

A MF mirrorless from Nikon would be nice. However it seems very unlikely. I'll only believe it when I see it

There are a few hurdles. First sensor cost is proportional to the sensor area not the linear dimension of the sensor.

Costs rise more than proportional to the area because the larger the area the less yield. A larger sensor is more likely to have a defect, and also there is more wasted space on a wafer with larger sensors . Manufacturing volume would likely be lower too - which also increases per unit costs.

Cost of lenses would be considerably higher too.

 CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon and Sony to show Medium Format Cameras at Expo
In reply to davetj_uk, 10 months ago

davetj_uk wrote:

Is there any truth in this?

http://www.cameraegg.org/nikon-and-sony-will-show-medium-format-cameras-at-photoplus-expo/

This would only make sense if they believe  FX performance improvements will top out soon.

 CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,670Gear list
Like?
Those used to buying into this market...
In reply to CFynn, 10 months ago

CFynn wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

It reality it makes sense. The first round of MF digital were simply retreaded MF SLR technology with a different back. You have all the issues with a mirror box with MF SLR - except the mirror box is bigger cost more to build causes more vibration, etc. With the mirror-less technology coming along, a MF digital based on a mirror-less design makes a lot of sense, would be less expensive to build.

A MF mirrorless from Nikon would be nice. However it seems very unlikely. I'll only believe it when I see it

There are a few hurdles. First sensor cost is proportional to the sensor area not the linear dimension of the sensor.

Costs rise more than proportional to the area because the larger the area the less yield. A larger sensor is more likely to have a defect, and also there is more wasted space on a wafer with larger sensors . Manufacturing volume would likely be lower too - which also increases per unit costs.

Cost of lenses would be considerably higher too.

Are used to the higher costs. They earn far much more money.

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

 Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BasiliskPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: Nikon and Sony to show Medium Format Cameras at Expo
In reply to davetj_uk, 10 months ago

Biggers sensors might be more expensive to make, but surely a 6x6 sensor would only need half the pixel density of the D800, so that would reduce the cost/technical challenge somewhat

Also, with a mirrorless MF camera, with a short flange distance, any MF lens could be adapted, with space for electronics to manage AF also a possiblity. You are not going to be using this for shooting fast moving objects, so slow, but accurate AF might be adequate.

A square sensor would give you portrait and landscape options without rotating the camera which is another plus.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ragspix
Contributing MemberPosts: 636
Like?
Re: Those used to buying into this market...
In reply to Alan Brown, 10 months ago

Not if they're a photographer, the average income is down...

Rags

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,130Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon and Sony to show Medium Format Cameras at Expo
In reply to davetj_uk, 10 months ago

davetj_uk wrote:

Is there any truth in this?

http://www.cameraegg.org/nikon-and-sony-will-show-medium-format-cameras-at-photoplus-expo/

It makes sense to me for the same reason it did with film. The latest D800 type sensor is really pushing what any glass can resolve. To make higher MP FF bodies at this point would have diminishing returns due to the lack of optics that can resolve them. It would likely be less expensive to produce larger lenses, for a larger sensor, that didn't have to out resolve the current optical designs.

An example of this would be my old fuji 6X9 rangefinder. The lens resolved about what a really good 35mm lens did so it wasn't some optical miracle. But the resulting images were simply amazing and blew away anything you could get from even the best 35mm optics using the best high resolution film.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

 Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Waterengineer
Contributing MemberPosts: 846
Like?
Re: Nikon and Sony to show Medium Format Cameras at Expo
In reply to Stacey_K, 10 months ago

Showing a MF camera and bringing it to market are two different things.

Think the concept cars shown at auto shows.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,670Gear list
Like?
????
In reply to ragspix, 10 months ago

ragspix wrote:

Not if they're a photographer, the average income is down...

Rags

If you run a professional business you calculate in all of your running costs, building, equipment needs etc before ypu take a wage..

Equipment like this.. if this is your market segment, is a business expense and deductible and usually VAT is reclaimable.

Hobbyists who have the cash don't care either.. take Leica and Hassy. Maybe jewellery to wear for those who can afford it.

Not your usual suspects..

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

 Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon and Sony to show Medium Format Cameras at Expo
In reply to davetj_uk, 10 months ago

davetj_uk wrote:

Is there any truth in this?

http://www.cameraegg.org/nikon-and-sony-will-show-medium-format-cameras-at-photoplus-expo/

I guess only nikon staff know and they don't want to risk the sack.

It seems a bit odd given that many MF makers are struggling or no longer exist. Perhaps nikon or canon think their expertise can pull it off. I believe the d800 sensors are stitched together from 2 small ones. So making a MF one would be perhaps twice the price. Which might mean a lot cheaper than the Leica S2 etc. However the d800 has economies of scale from a larger market.

Sometimes companies make prototypes to gauge interest.

-- hide signature --

______________________________
Warning: this forum may contain nuts.

 Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thomo
Contributing MemberPosts: 946Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon and Sony to show Medium Format Cameras at Expo
In reply to davetj_uk, 10 months ago

I would be happy if they just produced a reasonably priced full frame medium format digital back for the Hasselblad V system film cameras. The last thing I want is a 'mirrorless' MFD camera.

 thomo's gear list:thomo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ragspix
Contributing MemberPosts: 636
Like?
Re: ????
In reply to Alan Brown, 10 months ago

Alan Brown wrote:

ragspix wrote:

Not if they're a photographer, the average income is down...

Rags

If you run a professional business you calculate in all of your running costs, building, equipment needs etc before ypu take a wage..

Equipment like this.. if this is your market segment, is a business expense and deductible and usually VAT is reclaimable.

Hobbyists who have the cash don't care either.. take Leica and Hassy. Maybe jewellery to wear for those who can afford it.

Not your usual suspects..

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Thanks for the business lecture... my guess is I've started & run more business's than you...

Business expenses are deductible against income... don't you get it?

Photographers are making less because there are fewer printed pages and soccer moms have dslrs

I agree about hobbyists vs mental illness... however a lot of the broad based "wealth effect" has been diminished because of the stock market /housing dive.

Rags

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads