Terada: Olympus could go Full Frame !

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,218Gear list
Like?
Re: It will be fun to watch m43 fans react to Olympus E mount cameras
In reply to calxn, 9 months ago

calxn wrote:

I remember the exasperation that 43 owners had when Olympus was ending it in favor of m43. It'll be fun to watch m43 fans react to E-mount Olympus.

There are no m43 fans.

There are Olympus fans. This concept is different from m43 fans. People go for m43 for the sake of utility, and stick to Olympus because of the company's Apple-like allure. Panasonic is known to produce consumer appliances and their cameras and lenses have been called this name exactly. So Panasonic users are just users, like people use consumer appliances. Not fans. Can anyone be a fan of a consumer appliance?

So in all likelihood, Olympus fans will welcome whatever Olympus FF systems that will come with great enthusiasm, and will start hating Nikon, Canon, and maybe even Sony, instead of hating Panasonic. And m43 users will either continue using m43 if the new FF mirrorless does not give them what they want, or equally likely move to FF mirrorless because that format means that FF is no longer a synonym for dinosaur, battleship, IBM PC XT, and SLR.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,223Gear list
Like?
Re: Terada: Olympus could go Full Frame !
In reply to Bluephotons, 9 months ago

Bluephotons wrote:

http://www.43rumors.com/more-terada-interviews-no-silver-e-m1-coming-we-do-not-exclude-a-full-frame-future/

Is Sony offering their FF sensor? Will Olympus take it and come up with a mirrorles FF?

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

You're taking an exclusive negative and turning it into a positive hope. I think that's kind of spinning his statement a little too much in the wrong direction.

stevo23
Like?
News Flash! Olympus is going 4x5 Digital!

It could happen...

Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,732Gear list
Like?
If they have to ..
In reply to boggis the cat, 9 months ago

boggis the cat wrote:

I assume that they would be willing to sell it.

But Olympus have no 135 format system to use such a sensor in.

They will build it. Just like they built mFT.

Will Olympus take it and come up with a mirrorles FF?

No, I don't think so.

Sony may end up buying Olympus, and producing Zuiko branded lenses for their 135 bodies (which would almost certainly all be mirrorless in a few years).

Or maybe Olympus will recognize that it is cheaper to buy sensors that everybody else buys, rather than have a smaller format that is built specifically for them (therefore expensive).

My view is that if they want to build a larger format system from scratch they may as well devise something with a competitive advantage over 135 systems.

Build a reliable camera that focuses faster, for example.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Bluephotons
Senior MemberPosts: 2,586Gear list
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 9 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

Bluephotons wrote:

http://www.43rumors.com/more-terada-interviews-no-silver-e-m1-coming-we-do-not-exclude-a-full-frame-future/

Is Sony offering their FF sensor? Will Olympus take it and come up with a mirrorles FF?

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons

You're taking an exclusive negative and turning it into a positive hope. I think that's kind of spinning his statement a little too much in the wrong direction.

No, I'm just speculating, which is what most of the posters here do nost of the times.

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons

Bluephotons's gear list:Bluephotons's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Bluephotons
Like?
Re: News Flash! Olympus is going 4x5 Digital!

stevo23 wrote:

It could happen...

See, you are learning very fast! 

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons

Olympus OM-D E-M5
dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,498Gear list
Like?
Lenses first

If  we see Olympus making lenses for Sony FF bodies then it's quite possible they could make FF bodies as well since the sensors are there for the picking; might as well be the E mount

It all depends on what lenses they 'll make first; if it's a standard zoom then that's a signal they could also compete with Sony in the same arena, not unlike what they do with Pana in the MFT arena

October should be an interesting month as far as Sony is concerned

Cheers,

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Bluephotons
Like?
Re: Lenses first
In reply to dv312, 9 months ago

Exactly!

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons

Olympus OM-D E-M5
stevo23
Like?

Bluephotons wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Bluephotons wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons

No, I'm just speculating, which is what most of the posters here do nost of the times.

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons

It's all in how you spin it and present it. I have no idea what you intend, only what you wrote. By the truth of what you're referring to, Ferarri could start making women's panties.

stevo23
Like?
Re: News Flash! Olympus to make first full frame dishwasher!

Bluephotons wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

It could happen...

See, you are learning very fast!

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons

Ha ha!

dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,035
Like?
Re: 2X is the perfect balance
In reply to Jorginho, 9 months ago

of size and IQ....that is until Olympus say that FF is also fine and then all the fanboys will say of course.

This happened with Nikon, if it happens with Olympus, you'll get the same.

FT was the best thing since sliced bread until it is not.

Contrast AF was superior to PDAF until they added it to EM1.

Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,732Gear list
Like?
In fact this is a very good point!
In reply to dv312, 9 months ago

dv312 wrote:

If we see Olympus making lenses for Sony FF bodies then it's quite possible they could make FF bodies as well since the sensors are there for the picking; might as well be the E mount

Very much so.

It all depends on what lenses they 'll make first; if it's a standard zoom then that's a signal they could also compete with Sony in the same arena, not unlike what they do with Pana in the MFT arena

Usually it is 2, 3 lenses from the start. Olympus are no strangers to reworking old designs, might as well "un-modify" and expand few existing ones.

October should be an interesting month as far as Sony is concerned

Yup.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,582Gear list
Like?

Bluephotons wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Bluephotons wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons

It's all in how you spin it and present it. I have no idea what you intend, only what you wrote. By the truth of what you're referring to, Ferarri could start making women's panties.

Or put a Ferrari mark on Chinese women's panties. I wouldn't be surprised if they already do.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,463Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, using someone else's mount makes sense.....
In reply to Sergey_Green, 9 months ago

The real money is in the lenses, not the personal computer in the body of a camera (which is all a modern camera is, mostly - hope I don't upset anyone by saying that).  A move to be more like Sigma/Tamron and make lenses for one or more other systems, could save Olympus.

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
MatsP
Contributing MemberPosts: 892Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ulric, 9 months ago

Bluephotons wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Bluephotons wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons

Or put a Ferrari mark on Chinese women's panties. I wouldn't be surprised if they already do.

This is what might happen. If the FF NEX get Olympus IBIS as rumoured it's already partly Olympus. A version with Oly logo on it (and a hump!) could attract Oly fans and make it sell a little more. With adaptors for OM and FT lenses of course. And Oly versions of Oly constructed lenses for Sony. Just speculating of course. But with Hasselblad branded NEX7, why not Olympus branded NEX FF. Not that ugly I hope.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Christopher G
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?
ff sensor with 4/3 crop
In reply to tinternaut, 9 months ago

Make it with a bigger ff sensor but with a 4/3 aspec ratio , and a rotating back like a mini mamiya rz67 and it would be the perfect portrait or commercial camera next to going medium format. That would be my dream camera. I would pay 4 grand for that. I always wanted to go medium format again from my film days, for the aspect ratio, but it never became affordable.

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,239
Like?
Apple could go full frame

Anybody could go full frame.  It's smart to keep options open and not "rule things out".  Doesn't mean it's a twinkle in anybody's eye.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,593Gear list
Like?
Sure.... when pigs can fly

I realize a lot of FF fans would love to see Olympus make a FF camera so they can can compare it to their Nikon or Canon FF camera and then announce it just isn't as good.

And I realize that FF is the current fad, and it isn't just Olympus users who want them, but Pentax and Fuji users are clammoring for one too.

And there are also a lot of Olympus OM fans who think that Olympus is so good they can make a better FF camera than anyone else can.

For Olympus to get in the ring with Canon and Nikon (and Sony too) to slug it out on their home turf would be suicidal. Canon and Nikon have had a ten year head start, and are producing outstanding FF cameras (oil spots and AF issues notwithstanding). If you really want a FF camera, then the Canon 6D seems to make a lot of sense.

Olympus needs to do what they do best and avoid direct competition with with the two 800 pound gorillas. They have carved out a nice niche in the MILC market, and seem to be very successful there.

It would actually make more sense to revive the 4/3 line than to go FF. But upon reflection, I think both are really bad ideas.

Competing in every market is something that very few companies can do well. Witness how Canon is faltering in the MILC market with their EOS-M. And how Pentax failed with the K-01.

If Olympus needs a fresh project they can get to work creating more M4/3 PRO lenses. A 300mm f/4 might be nice. A really nice 100mm Macro would be appreciated. You get the idea.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +6 more
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,068Gear list
Like?
I would prefer to hear that the Olympus imaging devision was

Bluephotons wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons

making a profit.  That is something I would find much more exciting than the ridiculous notion that they might make a FF camera.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,218Gear list
Like?
Re: Apple could go full frame
In reply to Dennis, 9 months ago

Dennis wrote:

Anybody could go full frame. It's smart to keep options open and not "rule things out". Doesn't mean it's a twinkle in anybody's eye.

Not Apple. If Apple goes into something of similar size they would make it at least appreciably different from everyone else and call it iMax format or something.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads