Terada: Olympus could go Full Frame !

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Bluephotons
Senior MemberPosts: 2,584Gear list
Like?
Terada: Olympus could go Full Frame !
9 months ago

http://www.43rumors.com/more-terada-interviews-no-silver-e-m1-coming-we-do-not-exclude-a-full-frame-future/

Is Sony offering their FF sensor? Will Olympus take it and come up with a mirrorles FF?

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

Bluephotons's gear list:Bluephotons's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,057Gear list
Like?
Re: Terada: Olympus could go Full Frame !
In reply to Bluephotons, 9 months ago

Bluephotons wrote:

http://www.43rumors.com/more-terada-interviews-no-silver-e-m1-coming-we-do-not-exclude-a-full-frame-future/

Is Sony offering their FF sensor? Will Olympus take it and come up with a mirrorles FF?

There's a big difference between not ruling out a possibility, and having concrete plans for it.

It could happen.   It wouldn't be a µ4/3 model/series, and I wouldn't expect it any time relatively soon, but it could happen.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mring1
Contributing MemberPosts: 864Gear list
Like?
Could? Yes...

But, should?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but that strikes me as another opportunity to try and do something that Canikon is already doing...and for the most part, doing well.

If I recall, that last time we tried to compete in that sandbox, it did not end well.  The strength of m4/3s is leveraging advantages that the other guys don't have.  And Pany/Oly have definitely done that with m4/3s.  I'm sure I'll be told what I'm missing somewhere in this thread, but I just don't see the ROI in Oly FF.

Now...providing optical designs and getting a piece of Sony FF action....that might be a good way to play.

mring1's gear list:mring1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Joesiv
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,343Gear list
Like?

Lame... so finally they start to make momentum with the mFT lens lineup, and finally have an upgrade plan for FT, they'd introduce another format?  Sounds lame to even consider.

Would I be interested in such a system?  Absolutely!  I skipped mFT, but still lurk because I always had an interest in the format, and love the innovation found here (and tempted by it's size and IQ), for FF Nikon.  Once you go FF, it's hard to go back to crop frame (or smaller)... But if Olympus (who's lens' I love!), were to make a FF system that were essentially the same as the EM1 with AF speed and IS... I'd be tempted!

Make it 36MP, and have the flange back shorter than mFT, and allow a thin adapter to use mFT glass on it (in cropped mode obviously), and you'd have most of the benefits of mFT (small lens') when you want it for travel, but without the mFT adapter you get full FF image quality

but alas, these are just dreams.

-- hide signature --

Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Currently shooting: Nikon D3S, D700
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
calxn
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?
It will be fun to watch m43 fans react to Olympus E mount cameras

If it took Oly 3 years to develop the E-M1, think about how long it'll take to develop a professional FF camera.  They'll likely adopt the E mount just to take advantage of all the FF Zeiss lenses that will be produced in the next 3 years.

I remember the exasperation that 43 owners had when Olympus was ending it in favor of m43.  It'll be fun to watch m43 fans react to E-mount Olympus.

David Kieltyka
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,344Gear list
Like?

Personally I've come to despise the term "full frame." Whatever it's origin it has turned into an expression of fetishism & arrogance. My Wista 4x5 and Pentax 645D look at the 35mm format and say, in unison, "Full frame my a..."

As for whether or not Olympus will ever make another 35mm camera...who knows? They'd be foolish to rule it out. Depends in the end on demand, tech developments & pricing.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
SkiHound
Senior MemberPosts: 1,168
Like?
I'd be stunned.

If they developed a FF camera. I suppose a fixed lens like a 35mm rangefinder type camera would be feasible. But they'd also have to develop a full line of lenses. I suppose if they were really cozy with Sony they could use a common mount. But sure seems implausible to me.

Dave Bennett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,414
Like?
No
In reply to SkiHound, 9 months ago

Can't see this ever happening. Too much competition out there.

-- hide signature --

Dave
Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Chairman Cwmbran Photographic Society

Joesiv
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,343Gear list
Like?
Re: No
In reply to Dave Bennett, 9 months ago

Dave Bennett wrote:

Can't see this ever happening. Too much competition out there.

They could go "bigger" than full frame... maybe 0.7x, really stick it to the C/N/S lol...

-- hide signature --

Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Currently shooting: Nikon D3S, D700
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Peter Herth
Regular MemberPosts: 494
Like?
I had the pleasure to talk to Toshi-san yesterday...

at the Munich event presenting the E-M1. A very nice person and he was interested in collecting feedback of the local Olympus users. In several occasions he pointed out where the German/European preferences differed from, e.g. the Japanese ones. It was a very good conversation. The question of 35mm cameras was not touched by him though.

But his German counterpart did quite strongly point out that for the near future that would not be a topic for Olympus at all. Supporting µ4/3rds binds all resources of Olympus, there is no way for them to start another system. Also, it would be a bit strange considering how much they specialize in making a distinct alternative to 35mm cameras which is so much smaller in cameras and most of all optics. And I think a lot of their current features, like sensor-based IS and extreme fast CDAF would probably not be possible with 35mm sensors.

I don't think that 35mm is in the plans of Olympus, except perhaps for any collaboration with Sony, but until any products hit the market, there is not any evidence that such a collaboration actually exists. With their recent µ4/3rds lineup Olympus is finally delivering on the promises made with 4/3rds - they have a full-featured camera which is smaller than a comparable DSLR, and even more visible the size difference becomes when comparing lens sizes. So there is every reason to continue on this path. Of course, in 5 or 10 years the world could look entirely different and 35mm cameras would be the only product being able to be sold. Then probably Olympus would consider one. But currently all the people I met were extremely proud about the quality of their current system. And testing the E-M1 with the 12-40 and all the 4/3rds lense, I have to agree with them!

Peter

David Kieltyka
Like?
Yeah...
In reply to mring1, 9 months ago

I can see Oly making lenses for the Alpha mount before I can see 'em making a whole new 35mm system. Not that I'd object to another 35mm mirrorless system in the marketplace, though...the sooner CaNikon is forced to Face the Future in that regard the better.  

-Dave-

Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,637Gear list
Like?

Bluephotons wrote:

And all new lens lineup?

No way, no how.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
David Kieltyka
Like?
In reply to Joesiv, 9 months ago

Joesiv wrote:

Once you go FF, it's hard to go back to crop frame (or smaller)...

I have no interest in format war nonsense, but frankly I didn't find it hard to go "back" at all. (I started with 35mm cameras in the 1970s so it was that format I went back to with digital...for a time anyway.) It all depends on your particular needs & wants. I buy cameras to suit me...hopefully most other folks do the same. Suit themselves, that is...good luck trying to figure out what I'd want. I have enough trouble myself.  

Also, glad to see the tacit acknowlegement that m43 isn't a crop format!

But if Olympus (who's lens' I love!), were to make a FF system that were essentially the same as the EM1 with AF speed and IS... I'd be tempted! Make it 36MP, and have the flange back shorter than mFT, and allow a thin adapter to use mFT glass on it (in cropped mode obviously), and you'd have most of the benefits of mFT (small lens') when you want it for travel, but without the mFT adapter you get full FF image quality

but alas, these are just dreams.

Now that's an interesting idea...but, I agree, likely just dreams.

-Dave-

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,527Gear list
Like?

Sure, it could. But how far? straight to a bankruptcy?

Do one thing, do it right.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Paco 316
Senior MemberPosts: 1,047Gear list
Like?

Well.. when M43 came out I had  a vision of Olympus going with a Super43 format, which was a little larger than FF and keeping the 4/3 aspect ratio. System would have new lenses for the new sensor but a crop option if you decided to attach a regular 4/3 lens.

Crazy I thought having 3 different formats (m43/Four Thirds/Super43).

If Olympus came out with a Mirrorless FF, with ALL their great innovations and superb in-camera processing, not to mention their TRUE weather sealing, IBIS and amazing glass...they would make some serious noise and definitely turning many, many heads.

I would jump on that ship and treat it like the NEW Medium Format for my studio work. m43 would stay as my social event system

Cheers!

Paco 316's gear list:Paco 316's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +10 more
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,481Gear list
Like?

Very far fetched at this time. However I do not mind a fixed lens FF camera from Olympus, i.e. digital version of this, as long as it has similar performance and specs to the X100s but made smaller.

Makinations
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,688Gear list
Like?
Re: It will be fun to watch m43 fans react to Olympus E mount cameras
In reply to calxn, 9 months ago

calxn wrote:

If it took Oly 3 years to develop the E-M1, think about how long it'll take to develop a professional FF camera. They'll likely adopt the E mount just to take advantage of all the FF Zeiss lenses that will be produced in the next 3 years.

Why would that be likely?  Why would they care what Zeiss makes?

I remember the exasperation that 43 owners had when Olympus was ending it in favor of m43. It'll be fun to watch m43 fans react to E-mount Olympus.

-- hide signature --

This never would have happened if Tedolf was still alive.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smrlabs/

Makinations's gear list:Makinations's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,013
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, 9 months ago

"We don’t exclude to go Full Frame one day" might just as well be

"We don’t exclude to make robot monkey butlers one day."

Hey, you just can't know for sure.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Bluephotons
Senior MemberPosts: 2,584Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, 9 months ago

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Very far fetched at this time. However I do not mind a fixed lens FF camera from Olympus, i.e. digital version of this, as long as it has similar performance and specs to the X100s but made smaller.

Very interesting responses, I have no particular desire in Olympus going FF, and don't think they will, however i find interesting that he left the door open.  Your idea of a digital version of the 35 RD is also interesting, I wonder ( with my limited technical background) how hard will it be for Oly to make such camera.

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

Bluephotons's gear list:Bluephotons's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,331
Like?

It will never happen. If Olympus ever gets it digital imaging business back into profit, it really needs to remain profitable to pay back the losses of the last 5 years. That will take the company 30 years at least.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads