Single Lens to Replace Canon t3i's 18-55 and 55-250?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
drdavidge
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Single Lens to Replace Canon t3i's 18-55 and 55-250?
9 months ago

I have a Canon t3i with the stock 18-55 lens and also have a Canon 55-250 zoom lens (4/f-5.6 IS EF-S). I'm looking to find a single lens that can replace both of these that are of the same quality or better. I don't use the camera much, but always bring it on trips several times a year and wind up taking thousands of pictures. I'm planning on going to Africa at some point next year and would love to have a nice combo lens for shooting during a safari instead of fumbling around trying to change lenses. IS is obviously important with the zoom, and I'd like to keep the price under control. I will probably wind up selling my other two lenses once I know a new one can successfully replace them. Any suggestions?

asad137
Contributing MemberPosts: 686
Like?
Re: Single Lens to Replace Canon t3i's 18-55 and 55-250?
In reply to drdavidge, 9 months ago

drdavidge wrote:

I'm looking to find a single lens that can replace both of these that are of the same quality or better.

Doesn't exist. Superzooms are for convenience, not optical quality.

For safari, I'd be surprised if you needed the 18-55 much. If you don't like switching lenses, consider getting another camera body instead -- perhaps a used T2i, which you can probably get on eBay in the $250-$300 range.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
canuck dave
Senior MemberPosts: 2,640
Like?

drdavidge wrote:

I have a Canon t3i with the stock 18-55 lens and also have a Canon 55-250 zoom lens (4/f-5.6 IS EF-S). I'm looking to find a single lens that can replace both of these that are of the same quality or better. I don't use the camera much, but always bring it on trips several times a year and wind up taking thousands of pictures. I'm planning on going to Africa at some point next year and would love to have a nice combo lens for shooting during a safari instead of fumbling around trying to change lenses. IS is obviously important with the zoom, and I'd like to keep the price under control. I will probably wind up selling my other two lenses once I know a new one can successfully replace them. Any suggestions?

Neither of your existing lenses is a high performer, but they are decent in their class. Probably the best overall lens for your requirements would be the Canon 18-200, at about $700. One lens, decent performance, no lens-changing, more photo taking!

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_18-200_3p5-5p6_is_c16

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582444-USA/Canon_2752B002_EF_S_18_200mm_f_3_5_5_6_IS.html

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-200mm.htm

Armin Hermann
Regular MemberPosts: 160
Like?
nope.

A single lense that covers 18-250 will

a) be more expensive
b) have no advantage IQ wise

compared with the two lense solution.

My suggestion is to learn about the sweet spots of your gear and use it. You are pretty well set. I never had to rush for a wide angle on a safari...

Happy holliday!

drdavidge
Like?
drdavidge
Like?
drdavidge
Like?
In reply to asad137, 9 months ago

asad137 wrote:

For safari, I'd be surprised if you needed the 18-55 much. If you don't like switching lenses, consider getting another camera body instead -- perhaps a used T2i, which you can probably get on eBay in the $250-$300 range.

That's a good point. I probably will be using the 55-250 much more than the other one.

confyushis
Contributing MemberPosts: 856Gear list
Like?
convenience over quality ...

both lenses are convenient in that they cover a lot of focal lengths in one package. however the quality of either lens is less than your 55-250. smaller apertures on those lenses mean slower shutter speeds ... and possible blurry photos in poor light conditions. the 55-250 is no winner in that department either but it is better than an all in one lens.

if your priority is convenience, then either lens will do ...

confyushis's gear list:confyushis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,472
Like?

drdavidge wrote:

You'll be disappointed with the results after using the 55-250.  A single lens covering the same range will not give the same IQ.  You'll also lose speed at the long end - f/6.3 rather than f/5.6.

dr567
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?

drdavidge wrote:

I'm in the same boat.  I have a T2i and the same 2 lens kit combo.  I mostly use the 18-55 at home indoors for taking pictures of my kids (with a 430exii), but last week did my first travel photography with it.

We went to San Francisco, and I did quite a bit of switching back and forth.  Especially when we went up north to the Point Reyes seashore and I'd be using the 18-55 for landscape and then switch to the 250 for wildlife and back.  I'm also not very practiced at doing this, since I just got the 55-250 a month or so ago, so it wasn't comfortable.  And to me it seemed the 55-250 is not wide enough to just carry on the camera very often.

However, next year I'm going to Alaska.

On the trip I was thinking what could be improved.  I thought maybe going to the 15-85.  That would get me a little wider and a little more reach for around town.  I would still want a zoom for further stuff, so maybe 15-85 + 55-250.

However, today I've been reading about the 18-135 IS STM (the newer one released 2012 that comes kit with the newer rebels).  That might be enough on the zoom end for most travel stuff (not alaska or a safari), but you could take it with the 55-250.

I was thinking that for a 1.6x, a pretty good 3 lens setup would be the 18-135 + 55-250 + 10-22 (for landscape and ultra wide).

dr567's gear list:dr567's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
mailman88
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,797Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't Laugh....100-400mmIS

My 100-400mmIS stays on my 7D about 95% of the time. The only time its off, is at Disney World and inside photo-ops.

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads