zuiko 75mm f1.8 with panny 35-100mm?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
MikeGre
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
zuiko 75mm f1.8 with panny 35-100mm?
9 months ago

Is getting the panny 35-100mm f2.8 and zuiko 75mm f1.8 overlapping too much? I realize the price point on both and that is a main reason i ask. I want really good macro and good bokeh. Because the 75mm is f1.8 the bokeh will be good. Not sure if the 75mm is great at macro. I dont see it listed as macro lens. Thanks

EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,114Gear list
Like?
Re: zuiko 75mm f1.8 with panny 35-100mm?
In reply to MikeGre, 9 months ago

MikeGre wrote:

Is getting the panny 35-100mm f2.8 and zuiko 75mm f1.8 overlapping too much? I realize the price point on both and that is a main reason i ask. I want really good macro and good bokeh. Because the 75mm is f1.8 the bokeh will be good. Not sure if the 75mm is great at macro. I dont see it listed as macro lens. Thanks

Min focus distance of the 75mm is 84cm, min focus with the 35-100mm is 85cm, you would be better off with the Olympus 60mm 2.8 if you want macro, which is a proper macro lens and focuses to 18cm.

The 75mm is a very nice lens, the only question is 1 and 1/3rd stop on a lens that is of very specific use worth an extra $850 to you? Thats not really a question anyone else can answer for you.

The 45/1.8 is cheaper and probably a more versatile lens for every day portrait work and such, whereas the 75mm is going to be very long in some situations (ie: pretty much only useful for headshots indoors or in cramped spaces).

BTW, bokeh = the quality of the blur, not the amount. Bokeh has nothing to do with lens speed/aperture. What you mean is depth of field, which is generally refereed to as narrow (small amount in focus, blurry background) or wide (very much in focus).

For headshots and head/shoulders, even waist up shots the 45/1.8 will generally provide adequately narrow DOF. If you want full body shots with narrow DOF, the 75/1.8 will be better, the tricky thing will be finding situations where you have enough space to get a full body shot with a 150mm equiv. lens.

Generally, more than absolutely lens speed, distance to subject and distance to background is going to determine how narrow your DOF is, or how much your background is blurred, if your background is 1 foot behind your subject, an F1 lens isn't going to help much, and if your background is half a mile away, even an F5.6 lens can give you blurry backgrounds. So, a lot of it is about framing and technique more so than the specific lens you use.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,046Gear list
Like?

MikeGre wrote:

Is getting the panny 35-100mm f2.8 and zuiko 75mm f1.8 overlapping too much?

Depends on what other lenses you have and what your requirements are. Personally, I chose between these two, i.e., for my use they overlap too much for me to want both. I opted for the 75/1.8 since I think I can live with a gap between 45 mm (I have the 14-45 as well as the 45/1.8) and 75 mm and since the 75 is so sharp that I can crop a bit for an effective reach of 100 mm and still go approximately equal with the 35-100 at 100 as far as resolution is concerned. The advantages of the 75 are of course greater max aperture, higher resolution, and better bokeh.

I realize the price point on both and that is a main reason i ask. I want really good macro and good bokeh. Because the 75mm is f1.8 the bokeh will be good. Not sure if the 75mm is great at macro. I dont see it listed as macro lens. Thanks

As already pointed out, you shouldn't confuse bokeh (the quality of the out-of-focus rendering which has nothing to do with the max aperture) with the amount of background blur (determined by the max aperture and the focal length). But the 75/1.8 is better than the 35-100/2.8 in both respects.

As to macro, the 75/1.8 is regrettably not a good performer. The max native magnification is only 1:10 (same as the 35-100) and it doesn't work well with either a close-up lens (even if high quality like the Canon 500D I have) or extension tubes. I have tried both and the results are not encouraging. For close-up work, I prefer to use my Oly 40-150 or my Panasonic 100-300 (with extension tubes). I have no idea how well the 35-100 performs when used for close-up work.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
MikeGre
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
In reply to Anders W, 9 months ago

Thanks for this valuable advice. Id love to cover the range from 24mm to 170sh in 35mm full frame context. Im seriously looking at the 12mm-40mm pro zoom coming out. Im also serious about adding the zuiko 60mm macro. I will effectively have 24-80mm and 120mm. I can do cropping to extend the zoom from the 24-80mm and do the same for the 120mm.

Doing cropping at RAW or high jpeg 16MB should keep the quality the

same to the naked eye up to 12" by 16" prints? What are your thoughts?

Anders W
Like?

MikeGre wrote:

Thanks for this valuable advice. Id love to cover the range from 24mm to 170sh in 35mm full frame context. Im seriously looking at the 12mm-40mm pro zoom coming out. Im also serious about adding the zuiko 60mm macro. I will effectively have 24-80mm and 120mm. I can do cropping to extend the zoom from the 24-80mm and do the same for the 120mm.

Doing cropping at RAW or high jpeg 16MB should keep the quality the

same to the naked eye up to 12" by 16" prints? What are your thoughts?

Yes the 12-40/2.8 combined with the 60/2.8 sounds like a viable solution if you want to cover something like 24 to 170 EFL (with a little cropping) plus macro capability. And, yes, I think a little cropping won't hurt image quality a whole lot at that display size although you will of course see a difference if you peep.

You might additionally want to consider the Oly 40-150/4-5.6 as a supplement. It's small, light, and very inexpensive (especially if you take advantage of one of the rebates Oly regularly seems to offer for this lens; I got mine for USD 100 when I bought it together with my E-M5). And the IQ is quite respectable in spite of this being a real budget item (see the parallel thread currently running about this lens).

Another option is of course to wait for the upcoming Oly 40-150/2.8. While that will get you more speed and surely even better IQ, it will also be significantly larger and heavier and a whole lot more expensive.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Fredrik Glckner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,485
Like?

One thing to note is that the Lumix 35-100mm lens, like many other Panasonic lenses, suffers from non-round (near elliptical) out of focus highlights outside of the centre of the image frame. This can be distracting, especially with high contrast backgrounds. Some example images here:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2013/09/bokeh-part-2.html

zabatman
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anders W, 9 months ago

Anders W wrote:

MikeGre wrote:

Depends on what other lenses you have and what your requirements are. Personally, I chose between these two, i.e., for my use they overlap too much for me to want both. I opted for the 75/1.8 since I think I can live with a gap between 45 mm (I have the 14-45 as well as the 45/1.8) and 75 mm and since the 75 is so sharp that I can crop a bit for an effective reach of 100 mm and still go approximately equal with the 35-100 at 100 as far as resolution is concerned. The advantages of the 75 are of course greater max aperture, higher resolution, and better bokeh.

I realize the price point on both and that is a main reason i ask. I want really good macro and good bokeh. Because the 75mm is f1.8 the bokeh will be good. Not sure if the 75mm is great at macro. I dont see it listed as macro lens. Thanks

As already pointed out, you shouldn't confuse bokeh (the quality of the out-of-focus rendering which has nothing to do with the max aperture) with the amount of background blur (determined by the max aperture and the focal length). But the 75/1.8 is better than the 35-100/2.8 in both respects.

As to macro, the 75/1.8 is regrettably not a good performer. The max native magnification is only 1:10 (same as the 35-100) and it doesn't work well with either a close-up lens (even if high quality like the Canon 500D I have) or extension tubes. I have tried both and the results are not encouraging. For close-up work, I prefer to use my Oly 40-150 or my Panasonic 100-300 (with extension tubes). I have no idea how well the 35-100 performs when used for close-up work.

I took some handheld shots with the 75mm attached to 26mm extension tubes.  Would definitely have been sharper on a tripod, but the magnification of these flowers which are less than 2cm wide is large.

zabatman's gear list:zabatman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +13 more
dslrnewby
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to zabatman, 9 months ago

Wow! Thanks. Id love to do this type of shot. Im leaning toward the zuiko 60mm macro. Would i be able to get this kind of shot with 60mm? Should i get an extension tube and what does this addon do? I dont know its purpose and learning.

Anders W
Like?
In reply to zabatman, 9 months ago

zabatman wrote:

Anders W wrote:

MikeGre wrote:

Depends on what other lenses you have and what your requirements are. Personally, I chose between these two, i.e., for my use they overlap too much for me to want both. I opted for the 75/1.8 since I think I can live with a gap between 45 mm (I have the 14-45 as well as the 45/1.8) and 75 mm and since the 75 is so sharp that I can crop a bit for an effective reach of 100 mm and still go approximately equal with the 35-100 at 100 as far as resolution is concerned. The advantages of the 75 are of course greater max aperture, higher resolution, and better bokeh.

As already pointed out, you shouldn't confuse bokeh (the quality of the out-of-focus rendering which has nothing to do with the max aperture) with the amount of background blur (determined by the max aperture and the focal length). But the 75/1.8 is better than the 35-100/2.8 in both respects.

I took some handheld shots with the 75mm attached to 26mm extension tubes. Would definitely have been sharper on a tripod, but the magnification of these flowers which are less than 2cm wide is large.

It is indeed possible to get decent sharpness (at least in the center) with the 75/1.8 combined with extension rings or a good close-up lens, at least if you stop down sufficiently. However, the borders will be so-so and you may have problems getting focus right (due to excessive spherical aberration when the lens is used outside its normal distance range) and/or see increased distortion. See this thread for details. The relevant information is scattered across several posts so there is no single one I can point to.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3522091

Anders W
Like?
In reply to dslrnewby, 9 months ago

dslrnewby wrote:

Wow! Thanks. Id love to do this type of shot. Im leaning toward the zuiko 60mm macro. Would i be able to get this kind of shot with 60mm?

You'd be able to do it better/more easily with the 60 mm macro than with the 75/1.8 (which isn't particularly well suited for operating outside its normal distance range).

Should i get an extension tube and what does this addon do? I dont know its purpose and learning.

The purpose of extension tubes as well as close-up lenses is to allow you to bypass the limit set by the minimum focus distance of the lens so that you can focus at shorter distances than that limit allows (at the expense of no longer being able to focus at longer distances). With the 60 mm macro, you don't need extension tubes or close-up lenses since the lens is specifically designed for shooting at very short distances.

jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,321Gear list
Like?

MikeGre wrote:

I just bought the 75/1.8 Oly instead of the 35-100/2.8 because the off-center sharpness is much better (based on the samples I've had access to), the 75 is much smaller for portability, and it's a bit faster for low light or less DOF.

I've taken some shots at MFD with the 75 and they appear to be quite sharp enough for me

See (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1244227)

and I'm a bit of a sharpness junky.

As far as a macro lens - not sure either will do this well.

I've also not been nearly as impressed with the 35-100 as I am with my 12-35/2.8.  The 35-100 is OK for sharpness in the center of the frame, but never really sharpens up at the borders/corners/edges to the degree that I'd like.

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
Fredrik Glckner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,485
Like?
In reply to dslrnewby, 9 months ago

dslrnewby wrote:

Wow! Thanks. Id love to do this type of shot. Im leaning toward the zuiko 60mm macro. Would i be able to get this kind of shot with 60mm? Should i get an extension tube and what does this addon do? I dont know its purpose and learning.

If you want to take pictures of small flowers, then getting the macro lens makes sense. You could also get a set of extension rings, and then use virtually any lens for macro, as long as it is at least around 40mm or more.

I have tested some macro rings here:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2013/07/meike-macro-rings-highly-recommended.html

I think these rings are a good supplement to a tele zoom lens, to be able to try out macro imaging.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads