XM1 vs XA1 image comparison

Started 7 months ago | Polls
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,145
Like?
XM1 vs XA1 image comparison
7 months ago

I found this comparison,  which one do you prefer?

POLL
XM1
6.9% 14  votes
XA1
93.1% 189  votes
  Show results
cheny
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
Re: XM1 vs XA1 image comparison
In reply to hellocrowley, 7 months ago

there are more samples at ephotozine.com and photographyblog.com and in all samples, the X-A1 hi-iso images are much more clean than any x-trans sample i ever saw.

in fact ,its the cleanest hi-iso images i ever saw.

i dont get it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,570
Like?
In reply to cheny, 7 months ago

What do I think?  Nothing.

The picture on the right obviously looks better.  Nobody will dispute that.  The problem is that we know nothing about these photos, how they were processed, who took them, no EXIF data... nothing.

I agree with the previous poster that the X-A1 samples seem suspiciously good.  Like better than a D800 good.

Withholding judgment.

Dimitriy
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 7 months ago

I would not say D800 good, but top of APS-C good. If you compare images at photographyblog between x-e1 and x-a1, not just books on a shelf, but actual city landscape samples, it's clear that x-a1 not just better by 1 stop up to ISO 6400, but also has better detail and dynamic range in shadows, which does not jive with higher default NR / sharpening theory. So, unless you are suspecting both ephotozine and photographyblog in colluding to present x-a1 in the best light possible fuji reminds me a young Forrest Gump - fastest man in the world wearing crutches of x-trans. I really hope they put a new sensor in x-e2.

Alohaman
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 7 months ago

The picture on the right is also in better focus.  Hard to compare if the left picture is not in focus.

Is anyone ready to blame the sensor???

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +5 more
Caerolle
Contributing MemberPosts: 729
Like?
In reply to Alohaman, 7 months ago

That is the whole point of this thread.

For me, I don't care. I have an X-E1, and that is what I will be taking pictures with the next few years, however better or worse it is than if it had a Bayer sensor. I can't afford to change cameras every time someone posts 100% crop that shows something else is better.

And, it seems that most likely the new X-E? will still have the X-Trans, so it is a choice of a camera that handles great but with sensor that maybe isn't quite as good, or a camera with none of the qualities I like that takes better pics at high magnification. I feel I am better off learning to work around whatever limitations my camera has so I can get the images I want.

Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602Gear list
Like?
In reply to Caerolle, 7 months ago

That's amazing. I will now have to look at the XA1 more closely. I was only considering Fuji for it's Xtrans sensor but the Bayer isn't bad at all.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,217Gear list
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, 7 months ago

So...

1. Where did you "find these samples"?

2. Are they OOC JPEGs or from raw files?

3. If the latter, what software was used to process the raw files?

4. What lens and lens settings were used for the comparison?

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 2,776
Like?
X-A1 without doubt
In reply to hellocrowley, 6 months ago

If that holds water in further testing it will be a big improvement in image quality. All posted bayer sensor images look better in every respect and come at a lower price. The colors look better, the details look better, the noise looks better. Unless there are some unknown now failures on part of X-A1 sensor it will cannibalize other Fuji camera sales and effectively will kill trans sensor.

Buttons252
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?
Re: X-A1 without doubt
In reply to forpetessake, 6 months ago

seems fishy to me so far, a low end model coming in and being a substantial improvement?  sure its not out of the question at all, look at the nikon D5200.  In my experience from model to model the difference in quality is typically to hard to see except for the most anal pixel peepers.

I am really curious what the X-A1 turns up on dxomark versus something like the NEX5

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-E1 + PK lens adapter + 55mm Pentax SMC 55mm F1.8

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Radu Tenenbaum
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849Gear list
Like?
Future of X-Trans at risk?

If this is true and confirmed by additional reviews, it would really raise questions about Fuji's X-Trans strategy.

-- hide signature --

Radu
www.raduray.com

Radu Tenenbaum's gear list:Radu Tenenbaum's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +17 more
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
Re: Future of X-Trans at risk?
In reply to Radu Tenenbaum, 6 months ago

Radu Tenenbaum wrote:

If this is true and confirmed by additional reviews, it would really raise questions about Fuji's X-Trans strategy.

I would be very happy to do without X Trans. I'd also like 24 megapixels.

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R +6 more
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,145
Like?
In reply to bowportes, 6 months ago

bowportes wrote:

So...

1. Where did you "find these samples"?

2. Are they OOC JPEGs or from raw files?

3. If the latter, what software was used to process the raw files?

4. What lens and lens settings were used for the comparison?

The pic above are crops taken from this review http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-x-a1-compact-system-camera-review-23040

I'm not 100% sure, but reading this quote "ISO100, ISO12800 and ISO25600 aren't available if shooting RAW or JPEG+RAW, instead these are only available when shooting JPEG",  I think they shot JPEG+RAW.

16-50 lens.

I think the main point here is that Xtrans does struggle with fine, diagonal patterns and here it's showing false details. Surprisingly its high ISO looks worse than the XA1, perhaps this is more of a software improvement than hardware.

I kind of hope this will blow up and force Fuji to toss Xtrans, but then my camera resale value will go down the drain

Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,639Gear list
Like?

The jpegs do look very good on all of the above sites.  In fact ISO6400 bookshelf photos have zero noise.   At the same time you can clearly see noise reduction since the photos if viewed at 100% look more like paintings than photographs.   So I'd be extremely curious to see the RAW results.   Also DXO results since they surely will be able to test XA1.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
Zardoz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?

hellocrowley wrote:

I kind of hope this will blow up and force Fuji to toss Xtrans, but then my camera resale value will go down the drain

Don't worry, it's inevitable that they will.  I've said so from the beginning.

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,420Gear list
Like?
In reply to Absolutic, 6 months ago

I downloaded the RAW and its a different story. At ISO6400 they are way noisier than XE1 or XM1.

Also XE1 shot of the bag is much the same as XA1 (a tad bit of colour moire on XE1 shot though).

I'd say this camera has the latest style noise reduction approaches we are seeing on Canon 6D.
I bet this is just behind the scenes noise reduction. I have been told 6D uses the overscan region of the sensor to do a dark current subtract to reduce noise.

A valid approach but that would also work on XTrans as well.

I notice XE1 renders colours more richly in the colour chart test.

So I would not jump to conclusions here beyond XA1 looks very nice.

Greg

DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033Gear list
Like?

hellocrowley wrote:

I found this comparison, which one do you prefer?

Two observations:

1.  x-a1 is sharper.

2.  x-a1 has less color and chroma noise.

I took a look at the raw it's very sharp at 6400 and takes noise reduction and extra sharpening very well.

I would love to have a higher quality body with this sensor.  I wish they would release an x-e2 version with this sensor

DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Sony FE 55mm F1.8
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,146
Like?
In reply to Zardoz, 6 months ago

Zardoz wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

Don't worry, it's inevitable that they will. I've said so from the beginning.

I pray you are correct. I think they will be stubborn about it at first, but hopefully they will come along. Personally, I have changed my mind about getting back into a Fuji as a second system. I still want to, but not until they cough up the high end body with bayer cfa.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,466
Like?
In reply to DonSantos, 6 months ago

DonSantos wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

Two observations:

1. x-a1 is sharper.

2. x-a1 has less color and chroma noise.

I took a look at the raw it's very sharp at 6400 and takes noise reduction and extra sharpening very well.

I would love to have a higher quality body with this sensor. I wish they would release an x-e2 version with this sensor

yes, x-e2 version of it would be nice!

Alohaman
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
In reply to DonSantos, 6 months ago

DonSantos wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

Two observations:

1. x-a1 is sharper.

2. x-a1 has less color and chroma noise.

I would love to have a higher quality body with this sensor. I wish they would release an x-e2 version with this sensor

I don't think the x-a1is sharper. The photo x-m1 is obviously out of focus.  There is no way the x-m1 photo could be that bad at ISO200!!!

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads