Aftermarket Battery Grip Survey (Nikon D90/D7000/D7100)

Started Sep 30, 2013 | Discussions
kamran bajwa
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?
Aftermarket Battery Grip Survey (Nikon D90/D7000/D7100)
Sep 30, 2013

Hello all,

I am in the market for a Battery grip. I have used one on my D200 for almost 6 years and love it.

I have "wasted" a lot of time looking for a Battery grip like the one on my D200 (nikon brand) that hold 2/BOTH Batteries in the Grip itself, hence eliminating any need for removing the grip from the camera. I am beginning to realize that neither nor any other manufacturer (that I know of) make one that will hold 2 batteries.

Back when I purchased my first Nikon brand Battery grip there were very few aftermarket options, now its seems there are almost 6-8 different brands available, most at a fraction of the price Vs Nikon.

Can you all please share which after market Battery grip you are using and for how long?

Please list any issues if possible, it would really help my purchase. (and will help others)

The marketplace is littered with "new product" reviews, but I am looking for feedback from those who have used the grips for a little while.

Thank you and have a great day

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7000
Nikon D200
Nikon D50
Nikon 18-200 VRII
35mm 1.8
50mm 1.8
Nikon 28mm 2.8 AIs
SB600

Nikon D200 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Brian Parchim
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Re: Aftermarket Battery Grip Survey (Nikon D90/D7000/D7100)
In reply to kamran bajwa, Sep 30, 2013

I've used a Zeikos battery grip on my D90 for about 4 years now. Never had any issues with it and it was a third of the price of the Nikon version. The Zeikos did have both batteries in the grip and was very easy to take the batteries out to charge.

Brian Parchim's gear list:Brian Parchim's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
knightmelodic
Contributing MemberPosts: 653Gear list
Like?

just my .02 but I think about 3rd party grips all the time and always settle on nikon. yes it's more expensive but my camera is too expensive to risk electrical problems with 3rd. I know a lot of people have used and like 3rd party

-- hide signature --

Just keep clicking, something will turn out fantastic.
Nikon D600, D7100, Canon (!) G15, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f1.4, 70-200 f/2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8; Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, 16-28 f/2.8

knightmelodic's gear list:knightmelodic's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +3 more
kamran bajwa
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?
In reply to knightmelodic, Sep 30, 2013

I know what ou are saying and there WAS a time when paying that little extra (worst case 2X the price) was a good idea.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) now the Nikon battery grip costs almost 6 Times the price of an aftermarket brand and most people seem to have no issues at all, and those who do only have issues with built quality and cheaper plastic.

At 6 times the price, Nikon seems to be trying to market itself out of selling an accessory like the grip

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7000
Nikon D200
Nikon D50
Nikon 18-200 VRII
35mm 1.8
50mm 1.8
Nikon 28mm 2.8 AIs
SB600

knightmelodic
Contributing MemberPosts: 653Gear list
Like?

that is very true. I mainly use mine for balance and vertical. never have a problem with power. thanx for the thread. I'm going to take a hard look at 3rd now

-- hide signature --

Just keep clicking, something will turn out fantastic.
Nikon D600, D7100, Canon (!) G15, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f1.4, 70-200 f/2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8; Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, 16-28 f/2.8

knightmelodic's gear list:knightmelodic's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +3 more
jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,636Gear list
Like?

I've been using a Pixel on my D7100 for a while now without issue.  The rear control dial feels very similar to the factory dial.  The front control dial has a more plasticy feel to it, but I actually like it (almost more than the dampened, ruberized Nikon feel).  The shutter release and lock don't have the dampened Nikon factory feel to them, but they're not bad.  All in all, it does what it's supposed to without incidents of any type.  Build quality wise is about the same as my Nikon grip on my D200.  The ONLY think I have noticed is the flip open "key" for the battery tray seems to be a bit loose (like it will flop around a bit loose).

jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534Gear list
Like?
In reply to jimoyer, Sep 30, 2013

jimoyer wrote:

I've been using a Pixel on my D7100 for a while now without issue. The rear control dial feels very similar to the factory dial. The front control dial has a more plasticy feel to it, but I actually like it (almost more than the dampened, ruberized Nikon feel). The shutter release and lock don't have the dampened Nikon factory feel to them, but they're not bad. All in all, it does what it's supposed to without incidents of any type. Build quality wise is about the same as my Nikon grip on my D200. The ONLY think I have noticed is the flip open "key" for the battery tray seems to be a bit loose (like it will flop around a bit loose).

I just recently received the Pixel for my d7100 and used the Meike on my d7000 for a couple of years with no issues.

I don't use the extra battery slots as my purpose is only for portrait shooting and balance.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
SteveCooper
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?
In reply to kamran bajwa, 11 months ago

I use the Nikon vertical grip for my D90 and it has 2 battery slots. If I remember correctly, Nikon's grip for the D7000 & D7100 do not have 2, but rather 1 slot, requiring you to remove the grip to charge the in-camera battery.

For the same reason another user has mentioned, it is not worth the risk to use a 3rd party grip. I would look for a used or refurb if new is too expensive for you.

SteveCooper's gear list:SteveCooper's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +9 more
webmonkey128
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
In reply to jimoyer, 11 months ago

I'm also using a Pixel branded grip for my D7000 and pretty much mirror your views on the feel of the dials and buttons.

The main reason for going with the Pixel is that the command dials rotate in the same direction as the ones on the camera body, I believe the others brands are reversed. It also attaches nice and solid to the body and comes with 2 battery trays.

Two bad points about this grip I've found is the tendency for the command dial to stutter when changing settings; the values would jog forward briefly then back to the previous value. The grip would also drain battery power when attached to the camera, I'm not sure if the on/off switch on the grip has any effect here but I now store it off the camera.

webmonkey128's gear list:webmonkey128's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +3 more
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534Gear list
Like?
In reply to SteveCooper, 11 months ago

Is there any substantiated reports of a third party grip causing any damage?  I keep seeing folks mention the risk of using a third party grip.  I guess at one time folks were probably saying the same thing about third party lenses.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
ChristianAdam
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
In reply to scokill, 11 months ago

scokill wrote:

Is there any substantiated reports of a third party grip causing any damage? I keep seeing folks mention the risk of using a third party grip. I guNeess at one time folks were probably saying the same thing about third party lenses.

Havent damaged my camera, i use a noname MD-B11 (D7000) grip since jan. 2013, and the only thing is that it is not weather sealed like the original (no aftermarket is). But i dont think of it as much of a problem, as the battery contacts point away from the opening, and the voltage is so low, that moisture wont be a direct concern (short circuit), but might corrode something over time.

Oh yeah, and i ripped the battery holder in two.
Fixed it with some epoxy stuff, but it is not pretty, im trying to find a replacement.

Cope
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,319Gear list
Like?
In reply to SteveCooper, 11 months ago

SteveCooper wrote:

I use the Nikon vertical grip for my D90 and it has 2 battery slots. If I remember correctly, Nikon's grip for the D7000 & D7100 do not have 2, but rather 1 slot, requiring you to remove the grip to charge the in-camera battery.

For the same reason another user has mentioned, it is not worth the risk to use a 3rd party grip. I would look for a used or refurb if new is too expensive for you.

I don't see the need for a second battery in the grip.  Not many cases where you would go through both batteries in a session.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,636Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cope, 11 months ago

Cope wrote:

SteveCooper wrote:

I don't see the need for a second battery in the grip. Not many cases where you would go through both batteries in a session.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Usually the grips with 2 batteries in the grip are like the D200 grip where you have to remove the battery compartment door and the control contacts are inside the battery compartment so it essentially moves the in body battery in to the grip.  The grips on the newer bodies keep the in body battery in place, have the contacts on the bottom of the camera instead of inside the battery compartment, and one have one battery in grip.  Either way, you end up with a total of 2 batteries.

jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
ChristianAdam
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cope, 11 months ago

Cope wrote:

SteveCooper wrote:

I don't see the need for a second battery in the grip. Not many cases where you would go through both batteries in a session.

-- hide signature --

Not many, but there is some.

I have two batteries, a relative new one (status 4) and an older (status 2).

The good one stays in camera, and rarely gets charged, just there in case somethings happens.

The badder one in the grip gets all the abuse, pounding, charge/discharge cycles and whatever happens.
If (when) it empties/dies, the good one in the grip takes over seamlessly and i wont have to worry about getting to my bag, find the good one and change battery, because it is there already.

Its a nice safety net.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads