My New 1DX Has Black Spots.

Started Sep 30, 2013 | Discussions
slarti bartfast
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
My New 1DX Has Black Spots.
Sep 30, 2013

Two days ago i picked up a 1dx with an '8' as its 6th digit, it also has the 1.2.4 firmware already on board. After 2 days use it has over 20 black spots in the top right of the viewfinder. There is no letter "A" or any black mark on the silver bit. Before i used it i asked canon service about the lack of an "A" or black mark. They said if any problems developed they would fix it and i should not worry and just go ahead and enjoy the camera. I pushed for an answer as to -if the "fix" was already done at the assembly stage of my camera. I was told that at some stage they have to stop marking the cams with "a" and black marks because it just makes for more assembly procedures.

I tried to check the net to see at what point the 1.2.4 came out and if this was well after the "recall" then maybe mine with the 1.2.4 implemented at the assembly stage means mine is a recent body.

I walked to another camera store today and had a look at their display 1dx and it had a 7 (as it's 6th digit) and an 'A' in the batt area. So, the "a" is not just a North America thing which was another reason given by canon Australia as to why mine has no markings.

Can anyone help me clear up if mine is a recent body?. I do remember reading here that someone else hand an 8 that developed spots so, i'm not alone at least.

I will be taking it back to the shop but don't know if I should expect a replacement or let them send it off to get fixed.

slarti

ajy
ajy
Regular MemberPosts: 203
Like?
Re: My New 1DX Has Black Spots.
In reply to slarti bartfast, Sep 30, 2013

I wrote about the same exact issue last night!

See the thread here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51777663

I got mine from B&H, it has firmware 1.2.4., has a "0" for the six digit and is not affected by the service advisory. I have three small black spots in the upper right corner of the viewfinder (but not on the sensor).  I didn't notice them until I started taking pictures outside.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
slarti bartfast
Like?
In reply to ajy, Oct 1, 2013

Hi ajy

I just got off the phone from canon's main repair in another state and he has confirmed that the top right specks are a tell tale sign of the "fix" needed. Only cameras with markings in the batt area are fixed. Mine had no markings. He said all new ones with the fix at assembly will also have the markings. I think you may want to get it seen to or ask for another cam.

He did hint at the fact that the 1.2.4 being on board should have meant it was a "fixed" one though!

slarti

ajy
ajy
Like?
In reply to slarti bartfast, Oct 1, 2013

slarti bartfast wrote:

Hi ajy

I just got off the phone from canon's main repair in another state and he has confirmed that the top right specks are a tell tale sign of the "fix" needed. Only cameras with markings in the batt area are fixed. Mine had no markings. He said all new ones with the fix at assembly will also have the markings. I think you may want to get it seen to or ask for another cam.

He did hint at the fact that the 1.2.4 being on board should have meant it was a "fixed" one though!

slarti

Thanks for the follow up. If I could correct my reply before, it turns out that it has the number "8" not "0" though nevertheless, it shouldn't have been affected by the service advisory.

However, my impression from reading the service advisory

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024809120b7

is that the problem didn't necessarily generate specks!

I'll also give them a call too.

XeroJay
Contributing MemberPosts: 965Gear list
Like?

Well this just makes me mad, that your canon service will take care of the issue and acknowledges that it is related to the recall. I pushed canon service Canada and the wouldn't budge on mine, which is ridiculously littered with black specks. This is what they told me:

Dear Jamieson,

The technician was able to clean the CMOS & do the countermeasure for the service notice that just came out. As per the technician, the dirt in the pentaprism is not related to the countermeasure. This may require pentaprism replacement if you want it cleaned. To do so, we would have to re-estimate for a standard repair charge of $299 + cost for the part of $506.22 (CY3-1664-000: PENTAPRISM ASS'Y) minus your 20% CPS discount on the part & on the labour. Note that this is cosmetic repair and has no impact on performance.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
ajy
ajy
Like?

slarti bartfast wrote:

Hi ajy

I just got off the phone from canon's main repair in another state and he has confirmed that the top right specks are a tell tale sign of the "fix" needed. Only cameras with markings in the batt area are fixed. Mine had no markings. He said all new ones with the fix at assembly will also have the markings. I think you may want to get it seen to or ask for another cam.

slarti

If I could follow up, are you based in Australia?  Did you call Canon in Australia or a different country?

slarti bartfast
Like?
In reply to ajy, Oct 1, 2013

ajy

Yes i'm in melbourne australia and while there is a canon service in this state i did also enquire to the bigger repair centre in sydney NSW. You have not mentioned if you had an 'a' or black mark. It was strange how when i mentioned to the tec in sydney about the top right group of spots that he interrupted to say it was a pattern he was aware of and that because i had no markings it needed the fix. The idea of the "8" being a safe bet does not hold as an absolute anymore.
What are the chances of both our cams having an 8 and spots only on the top right?.
I guess canon are trying to make the spots a non related issue as the lube must be a cheap fix whereas spot removal is hell of a lot more going by what XeroJay has been quoted.

Keep us posted.

slarti

slarti bartfast
Like?
In reply to XeroJay, Oct 1, 2013

Hi XeroJay

I read all the entries in the other post which you started and dont know what to offer as any help. It's funny how their estimates and breakdown of all the parts is meant to make your request seem 'unreasonable' in the light of what "they" have to incur when in fact all those expences they quote have in fact already been paid by you to get you more 'dust proof' than the cheaper canons. Where's the: "You get what you pay for"???
Over here in australia i've been told different things from two seperate service centres. It maybe that it is only because my cam is 2 days old and full of gunk that i'm getting a more honest response. They are finding it hard to explain how a cam supplied by them at the end of sept 2013 to a store in melboure is not new stock with the fix built in. I had to order my cam and wait 2 weeks so, its not like i bought one that had been sitting on a shelf since whoever knows how long.

I went over to nikon and came back to canon because of the af so, i'm sure canon know their strengths and what it can get away with (sadly).

Do you think if you had a higher CPS status it may have got you a better outcome? I don't have any so, i'm just asking.

slarti

ajy
ajy
Like?

I just spoke to Canon (US).  She wasn't directly familiar with this specific problem.  When I asked if it was a pentaprism issue, if it would be covered, she implied that it would be covered since it was a brand new camera (I guess she wasn't aware of XeroJay's phone conversation).

Nevertheless, I'm going to send it back in to Canon have it looked at; apparently this is being address in the Virginia service center.

A part of me was thinking about returning it to B&H, but I figured this issue could come up again with another brand new camera!

XeroJay
Like?

I don't think my CPS status has anything to do with what their willingness to cover the issue or not. I think Canon service centers around the would are just inconsistent with some things. Who knows how many times they've seen the issue with 1DX cameras before and since mine?! It's entirely possible that they've covered it for some, while refusing for others. I don't know. What I do know, is that my 1DX is peppered with black debris on the pentaprism, which is supposed to be sealed, I have no access to, and no explanation other than that this is the only Canon DSLR out of about 10 in my career that I've owned in which this has occurred. It's also the most expensive, and the first one that I am completely satisfied with in all other regards, which sucks, because I want to keep it, but I hate the peppered viewfinder.

-- hide signature --

If there's typos, you can be sure I used my iPhone.

Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
arbitrage
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
In reply to slarti bartfast, Oct 2, 2013

Just to add another data point to the discussion, I got a new 1DX last week.  I have shot with it twice so far only for 3hrs total.  I already have one of these black spots in my viewfinder, upper area just a bit right of the midline.  It is fairly defined so it must be in the VF assembly somewhere.  My 1DX is from Canadian dealer and has the #8 in the 6th spot so past the recall.  I don't see any marks in the battery compartment but I would assume that they wouldn't be marking the newer ones once they were out of the affected serial number range.

Not sure if I should be worried, I will see if I get more in the coming weeks of shooting.  I know my 1D4 collects all kind of crap in the VF.  My 5D3 and 7D don't seem to collect much.

arbitrage's gear list:arbitrage's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III +13 more
slarti bartfast
Like?
In reply to ajy, Oct 2, 2013

ajy

I took my cam back to the store yesterday but found that i would be waiting for 2 weks for my replacement as the store does not carry the 1 series as regular stock. They offered to get canon service in melbourne to give it priority if i accepted canon to fix whatever was wrong. I said ok and was contacted today to pick it up from the service centre. Canon informed me that the 8 was in fact a clear indicator the fix had been done at the factory assembly stage. So, i asked why did it develop so many spots and why did their sydney office say they were aware of the pattern of the top right as the resting place?.
The rest of what she said was that they don't know why canon sydney said what they did and that it was likely an overseas call centre handling service enquires. I was being closed down i could tell so did not pursue any further. She then went on to inform me the that viewfinder had "fluff" and that the sensor was "very dirty" both of which was cleaned as a goodwill gesture but which was user related and not any fault of the camera. I was gobsmacked and sputtered out; "Pardon"??. I tried to tell her that i was anal about dust and had put a new 50mm on the body straight after i removed the body cap for the first time, and that lens remained on the body for 2 days before i replaced the body cap for repacking to return the cam. It was only 2 days old and there was even no zoom moving air about, how on earth could i have caused it. She replied with a sarcastic tone that everyone says they are careful with their cameras. I decided to bite my lip at that stage, but she freely went on to imply that i was like so many others that come there and try to pull the wool over their eyes.
I actually wimped out and said "thanks for doing the clean" as i was packing the body away. I wanted to keep a good relationship for any future repairs. But i was seething when i walked to the car. The absolute arrogance.

So there you have it. I suspect canon will clean your cam too because of its newness but i also suspect we will be in the same boat as xerojay and others in the near future when the spots return.

slarti

slarti bartfast
Like?
In reply to arbitrage, Oct 2, 2013

hi arbitrage

Yes, you and ajy are right about the 8 being the all clear. Like you i have owned a 5d mk III and two mk II's that never had dust either. I would not wait too long before you took it in just in case they try to put the user related spin on you.

slarti

XeroJay
Like?

I'm sorry to hear this
I know first hand how it feels to have this amazing camera that you plan to keep and treat it beyond anyone's reasonable expectations of care, only to have it marred by this debris that could only have come from inside the camera itself. When canon calls it dust, says it's from you and they won't do anything it just adds insult to injury. What if I did want to sell it? It would probably affect the value quite heavily. What if I do pay the $800 repair - and more debris accumulates on the new prism? At this point I'm hesitant to try anything, as the rest of the camera works flawlessly and I know how things begin going out of whack each time a camera is opened by service.
I'll admit, I'm tempted to try a partial dissection and air blowing on my own, but probably never will as it might result in making things much worse as opposed to better. I guess I'm waiting for someone else to try it and report first. The problem is that it's not the most popular level of camera, so any issues seem more obscure than something wrong with, say, a 5D or xxD level camera.
--

Sports Shooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?

slarti bartfast wrote:

ajy

I took my cam back to the store yesterday but found that i would be waiting for 2 weks for my replacement as the store does not carry the 1 series as regular stock. They offered to get canon service in melbourne to give it priority if i accepted canon to fix whatever was wrong. I said ok and was contacted today to pick it up from the service centre. Canon informed me that the 8 was in fact a clear indicator the fix had been done at the factory assembly stage. So, i asked why did it develop so many spots and why did their sydney office say they were aware of the pattern of the top right as the resting place?.
The rest of what she said was that they don't know why canon sydney said what they did and that it was likely an overseas call centre handling service enquires. I was being closed down i could tell so did not pursue any further. She then went on to inform me the that viewfinder had "fluff" and that the sensor was "very dirty" both of which was cleaned as a goodwill gesture but which was user related and not any fault of the camera. I was gobsmacked and sputtered out; "Pardon"??. I tried to tell her that i was anal about dust and had put a new 50mm on the body straight after i removed the body cap for the first time, and that lens remained on the body for 2 days before i replaced the body cap for repacking to return the cam. It was only 2 days old and there was even no zoom moving air about, how on earth could i have caused it. She replied with a sarcastic tone that everyone says they are careful with their cameras. I decided to bite my lip at that stage, but she freely went on to imply that i was like so many others that come there and try to pull the wool over their eyes.
I actually wimped out and said "thanks for doing the clean" as i was packing the body away. I wanted to keep a good relationship for any future repairs. But i was seething when i walked to the car. The absolute arrogance.

So there you have it. I suspect canon will clean your cam too because of its newness but i also suspect we will be in the same boat as xerojay and others in the near future when the spots return.

slarti

Well done for keeping cool...if I had spent 6K for an 1Dx and she gave me 'attitude' I wouldn't

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
ajy
ajy
Like?
In reply to XeroJay, Oct 2, 2013

XeroJay wrote:

I'm sorry to hear this
I know first hand how it feels to have this amazing camera that you plan to keep and treat it beyond anyone's reasonable expectations of care, only to have it marred by this debris that could only have come from inside the camera itself. When canon calls it dust, says it's from you and they won't do anything it just adds insult to injury. What if I did want to sell it? It would probably affect the value quite heavily. What if I do pay the $800 repair - and more debris accumulates on the new prism? At this point I'm hesitant to try anything, as the rest of the camera works flawlessly and I know how things begin going out of whack each time a camera is opened by service.
I'll admit, I'm tempted to try a partial dissection and air blowing on my own, but probably never will as it might result in making things much worse as opposed to better. I guess I'm waiting for someone else to try it and report first. The problem is that it's not the most popular level of camera, so any issues seem more obscure than something wrong with, say, a 5D or xxD level camera.
--

I'm planning on sending mine in for service and will update the group with the findings.  Hopefully this won't create any unintended problems!

Jim 123
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
Spotting Continues in new 1D X
In reply to slarti bartfast, Oct 4, 2013

This is not good.  I wanted it to work well soooo bad too.  I tried to deal with all of the 1DX issues and gave up.  Returned it.

WalterSrChat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,119Gear list
Like?
When did you Purchase a 1Dx Jim?
In reply to Jim 123, Oct 4, 2013

Jim 123 wrote:

This is not good. I wanted it to work well soooo bad too. I tried to deal with all of the 1DX issues and gave up. Returned it.

I could not find any of your posted problems with your 1Dx that you returned!

Can you help me out here with some posted problem?

Thanks

Walter Sr

-- hide signature --

I am out to take the perfect picture, if it exits!

WalterSrChat's gear list:WalterSrChat's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +3 more
ajy
ajy
Like?
In reply to ajy, Oct 4, 2013

ajy wrote:

I'm planning on sending mine in for service and will update the group with the findings. Hopefully this won't create any unintended problems!

On further thought, since I just bought it from B&H, a part of me wonders if I should return it to B&H v. sending it to Canon.

I guess the issue with the viewfinder spots has been seen here before, http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52080253

and that camera also has an "8" for the serial number (like mine).

tvstaff
Contributing MemberPosts: 913Gear list
Like?
In reply to slarti bartfast, Oct 4, 2013

slarti bartfast wrote:

Hi ajy

I just got off the phone from canon's main repair in another state and he has confirmed that the top right specks are a tell tale sign of the "fix" needed. Only cameras with markings in the batt area are fixed.

I've been through 3 copies and they all failed even with the "A" and a small white dot indicating they were "fixed".

I've had a "8" and two "5"'s fail.

Canon knows these cameras are defective and still sells them. There is NO WAY IN THE WORLD these cameras are going to make 400,000 exposures.

Canon knows the 1DX is defective, off the line, from day one.  Replacing the mirror box doe NOT solve the problem.

You can't have a piece of soft plastic rubbing on a piece of STEEL and not have the plastic wear out.

You can't oil or lube this issue away!!!

Unless that plastic piece is covered in teflon, in manufacturing IT WILL KEEP BREAKING.

You don't know WHEN it will break. But it will break and now YOU have to pay to get it fixed or if you don't have a backup with you... lose a days work or worse!!!

Mine had no markings. He said all new ones with the fix at assembly will also have the markings. I think you may want to get it seen to or ask for another cam.

slarti

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads