Happy with what you have?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Gary Martin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,019Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy with what you want?
In reply to 57LowRider, 10 months ago

It's not human nature to be satisfied for any length of time, especially with consumer luxury goods. I find it rather illuminating that those in this thread who claim to be so "happy" with their gear are all flaunting very recent purchases, at least a camera body that was introduced within the last couple of years. It's as if we've arrived at some magic plateau of technology where all of our needs have finally been met. I'm sure they'll be even happier with their next, imminent purchases, because in spite of the OPs warning, this dysfunctional world economy will continue to figure out a way to trundle along for the foreseeable future. Yes, the "middle class" or what's left of it will be a bit poorer every year, and the 1% will be richer every year, but professional sports, mass shootings and celebrity scandal will provide enough distraction to keep the mobs off the streets - and we photo enthusiasts will keep populating our Amazon wishlists with Newer and Better camera gear.

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,781Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy with what you have?
In reply to 57LowRider, 9 months ago

57LowRider wrote:

The Bank of International Settlements tell us that the global economy is in a much worse state than 2008; MoneyWeek say that the game is up and UK debt (700 billion quid in 2008) is now approaching 1.4 trillion. We're about to go off the fiscal cliff and cameras will be beyond luxury very soon.

So, are you happy with what you have? Do you have a camera that is going to have to last 10, 20 or 30 years?

I have Fuji X-system stuff. Frankly, I don't know how long it will last; is anything, apart from, say, Leica built to last more than 5 years? With the prospect of imminent financial collapse, what would you like the last camera you ever buy to be?

Reminds me of a guy last week who was looking at my photo albums online (actually in front of me) carrying around a $400 dollar Billingham bag full of $20,000 worth of gear who asked how I can afford to take all these trips to SE Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Europe and the Caribbean.

I'm quite happy with my GF3 - 14mm ...I would take a GF6 if it was "for life".

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,217Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy with what you have?

57LowRider wrote:

The Bank of International Settlements tell us that the global economy is in a much worse state than 2008; MoneyWeek say that the game is up and UK debt (700 billion quid in 2008) is now approaching 1.4 trillion. We're about to go off the fiscal cliff and cameras will be beyond luxury very soon.

So, are you happy with what you have? Do you have a camera that is going to have to last 10, 20 or 30 years?

I have Fuji X-system stuff. Frankly, I don't know how long it will last; is anything, apart from, say, Leica built to last more than 5 years? With the prospect of imminent financial collapse, what would you like the last camera you ever buy to be?

Really? If cameras are beyond luxury, then we're moving to subsistence living very soon.

hovirag
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: I wish it were that trivial
In reply to nevada5, 9 months ago

I completely agree with this!

We wouldn't worry at all about our cameras but food and shelter.

On the other hand i don't think we have to have such gloomy vision about our future - I'm kind of an optimist

Osvaldo Cristo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,985Gear list
Like?
Yes, I am

57LowRider wrote:

[...]

Yes, I am happy with the stuff I had currently (cameras, lenses and accessories) and it took a (new) lifespan to use them at their full potential.

On the other hand my personal experience is you (and me) would bigger problems with the camera batteries. Almost each new released camera model uses a new battery! I had in my 11+ years with DSLRs one battery dead and another semi-dead ( ), it is not charging at full load, only 40% to 50%...

Anyway, in the case of veeeery deep and long worldwide crisis, I guess Photography will not be into my main concerns...

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads