Happy with what you have?

Started Sep 30, 2013 | Discussions
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,414Gear list
Like?
Happy with what you have?
Sep 30, 2013

The Bank of International Settlements tell us that the global economy is in a much worse state than 2008; MoneyWeek say that the game is up and UK debt (700 billion quid in 2008) is now approaching 1.4 trillion. We're about to go off the fiscal cliff and cameras will be beyond luxury very soon.

So, are you happy with what you have? Do you have a camera that is going to have to last 10, 20 or 30 years?

I have Fuji X-system stuff. Frankly, I don't know how long it will last; is anything, apart from, say, Leica built to last more than 5 years? With the prospect of imminent financial collapse, what would you like the last camera you ever buy to be?

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,693
Like?
Re: Happy with what you have?
In reply to 57LowRider, Sep 30, 2013

57LowRider wrote:

The Bank of International Settlements tell us that the global economy is in a much worse state than 2008; MoneyWeek say that the game is up and UK debt (700 billion quid in 2008) is now approaching 1.4 trillion. We're about to go off the fiscal cliff and cameras will be beyond luxury very soon.

So, are you happy with what you have? Do you have a camera that is going to have to last 10, 20 or 30 years?

I have Fuji X-system stuff. Frankly, I don't know how long it will last; is anything, apart from, say, Leica built to last more than 5 years? With the prospect of imminent financial collapse, what would you like the last camera you ever buy to be?

In terms of what it provides for me I'm pretty happy with my D800 although I'm still building up lenses, as you say the issue would be how long it'll last, I wouldn't expect to get 20-30 years out of it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DigitalPhilosopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 736
Like?

Let me introduce a different but relevant dimension into this thread.

Go here: http://www.globalrichlist.com/

and insert the data. If you are like me (a middle-income westerner), you should find out you're in the world's richest 1-2%. Now, that puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Trust me my friend, you and I have absolutely not the slightest clue what hardship is. In the words of the late Terence McKenna:

The apocalypse is not something which is coming. The apocalypse has arrived in major portions of the planet and it’s only because we live within a bubble of incredible privilege and social insulation that we still have the luxury of anticipating the apocalypse.

I have what I have now, and I don't care how long it will last. Heck, I might not last another year, why on earth should I worry about whether my camera will last 20?

-- hide signature --

Check my blog for reviews, tips & tutorials:
Amateur Nikon

Follow me on Twitter:
@amateurnikon

AndreaV
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?

Well, I hope my Canon 1D mkIII and also my Fuji Xpro1 could last as long as possible... otherwise I'll take out again my Zorki (russian copy of a Leica III) from 1951, plug in my Elmar 9cm/f4 from 1939 and Summicron 5cm/f2 from 1951. That stuff still works great like the first day, so as long as I can find film to put in it, I'll be safe!

AndreaV's gear list:AndreaV's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 350D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +12 more
57LowRider
Like?
In reply to DigitalPhilosopher, Sep 30, 2013

Love the quote. We are however, as a country, leveraged out the wazoo. A rise of 1% or 2% in the cost of government borrowing and we replay the Weimar scenario of 1923; better invest in a wheelbarrow to carry our cash about in.

Right enough, our longevity is a factor. I might last another 20 years, with a favourable wind

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
57LowRider
Like?
In reply to AndreaV, Sep 30, 2013

AndreaV wrote:

Well, I hope my Canon 1D mkIII and also my Fuji Xpro1 could last as long as possible... otherwise I'll take out again my Zorki (russian copy of a Leica III) from 1951, plug in my Elmar 9cm/f4 from 1939 and Summicron 5cm/f2 from 1951. That stuff still works great like the first day, so as long as I can find film to put in it, I'll be safe!

I'm holding on to my film cameras too, like you say, as long as there is film around then the simple kit should last a while.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,612
Like?

If things get really bad it would be better to give up photography and concentrate on drawing.

If there's no electricity, you can't charge your batteries, or look at the photos on a computer screen, or make prints. But you can still use a pencil and paper.

57LowRider
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Sep 30, 2013

D Cox wrote:

If things get really bad it would be better to give up photography and concentrate on drawing.

If there's no electricity, you can't charge your batteries, or look at the photos on a computer screen, or make prints. But you can still use a pencil and paper.

Very good point.

AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,239Gear list
Like?

1/2 plate camera, stack of glass and a chicken run. That plus some silver and a few chemicals would keep me busy for a few years

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Armin Hermann
Regular MemberPosts: 160
Like?

57LowRider wrote:

Right enough, our longevity is a factor. I might last another 20 years, with a favourable wind

It will last as long as people believe what main stream media puts out. Mathematically the game is up already.

Since there is no shortage of capable cameras i care not too much

-Armin

wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157
Like?

My first digital camera the Canon G1 still works after 13 years, but 3mp is not enough in todays market.

My first DSLR the Canon 5D mkII bought in 2009 is still working perfectly and I would be content to continue on with that. However last year Santa provided me with a Sony RX-1 and this year I got a 5D3 mate for my 5D2 along with a fantastic 24-70/2.8 II as well as a 2nd 5D2 when they were selling the last of the stock.

So actually I think in terms of shutter life now as one thinks of mileage on an automobile. With 5 Canon DSLRs 1 MILC and a few digital compacts I think I'm good for another 6-700,000 more photos before I need a shutter engine swap. I estimate at the 50,000 or so images I'm able to snap each year, 10 years from now is when I'll be looking for new cameras or shutter servicing. The lenses I own are another issue, but I handle them very carefully so I'm expecting they will last at least as long.

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

bosjohn
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,890
Like?

57LowRider wrote:

I expect my M9 to be usable for ten or more years. If the world economy tanks as you predict the technological advances in camera and lens design will grind to a halt so your present camera will take longer to be thought of as obsolete. but even so called obsolete cameras can still capture images

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,514
Like?
Delighted - I have the perfect camera for these horrid economic times

It's an Olympus EM5.

Small, so I'm less likely to get mugged by people who have been laid off.

AF with the MZD 75-300 lens is lightning fast, great for those shots of financial people jumping out of windows.

Light, so I can run fast when society breaks down.

Easy to hide, when the bankruptcy people come looking to take away everything I own.

The new generation of small cameras - their benefits extend beyond mere convenience.

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,558Gear list
Like?
Yes.

I could live with the kit currently in use for as long as necessary. I could have said the same of the 5D2 before I went looking for something else. Since parting ways with that almost 4 years ago, I couldn't have said the same today with any assurance until the E-M5 appeared in the bag. Having two of them means using that model as long as necessary is actually possible.

But I don't think of these electronic devices as being viable for more than 5 years in general.   If things get much worse 'out there', there'd be more to contend with than where the next photograph will come from.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
DenWil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,434
Like?
Very, very happy.

Ten more years of this  would be icing on the cake.

Elliern
Regular MemberPosts: 231
Like?

57LowRider wrote:

Well, this is really more of a political question, isn't it?

Regarding my cameras, in fact most of my possessions, I could live happily and enjoy what I have for many years to come.  Even though I still enjoy new toys now and then, I don't actually need them.  And they do not determine my happiness level.

Regarding your end of the world predictions...ain't gonna happen.  I have been hearing similar statements since I was a child.  (well over 60 years ago)  Read some of the newspapers from back in the 20's and 30's.  There will always be economical ups and downs.  Some of the ups are way up...and some lows are way down.  We are one of the richest people in the world.  Just relax, be thankful for all you have, enjoy what you do have and then go help someone less fortunate...either in this country or another.  You will enjoy your life so much more and might even be happy.

rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,130
Like?
Responding: wealth calculator[my dog lives better]

Well when I took the test, our household came in at around 5,500,000th in the world.  I know where I live and those I associate with are extremely lucky.  My dog lives better than half of the planet if not more, better food, better environment in terms of health and aesthetics, better health care available - and that for my dog.

-- hide signature --

Hindsight is better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,795Gear list
Like?
I wish it were that trivial

Keep in mind that your grocery store has less than a week's worth of food on hand at any particular time.

If the predicted collapse becomes a reality, many of us will be happy to trade our gorgeous cameras for a couple loaves of bread, a few apples and a jug of water.

Keep it in perspective.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

57LowRider
Like?

Excellent, thoughtful and witty replies here, thank you.

I do indeed contribute to others and for all that ails me, I'm reasonably content. It's a "rich" person's problem, isn't it, and thank you for reminding me of that. Also, it's warming that people are enjoying what they have and not frantically trying to acquire the next amazing thing.

I'm glad the lifetime of a camera has come up in terms of shutter life, because I wondered if that might be the critical point of failure. I have a GW690 that will need a rebuild at 10,000, I think, but it's only on 2780 or so and at the rate I use that one there's a long way to go.

Elliern
Regular MemberPosts: 231
Like?

57LowRider wrote:

Excellent, thoughtful and witty replies here, thank you.

I do indeed contribute to others and for all that ails me, I'm reasonably content. It's a "rich" person's problem, isn't it, and thank you for reminding me of that. Also, it's warming that people are enjoying what they have and not frantically trying to acquire the next amazing thing.

I'm glad the lifetime of a camera has come up in terms of shutter life, because I wondered if that might be the critical point of failure. I have a GW690 that will need a rebuild at 10,000, I think, but it's only on 2780 or so and at the rate I use that one there's a long way to go.

Good for you, LowRider.  Looks like your GW690 has a way to go yet, so enjoy.  It is nice that so many appreciate what they have, and like you, many enjoy sharing with others, too. It is such a good feeling to feel content with what we do have.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads